Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #79

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to add ... Sweden changed its pub rules. While many think they have changed nothing, they have changed many things.

"Sweden has kept bars and restaurants open for table-only service during the pandemic ...."

"The government has asked people to follow authorities’ advice and take voluntary collective responsibility for slowing the spread of coronavirus. This includes working from home where possible, especially in the capital, self-isolating if you’re sick or over 70, and avoiding all non-essential travel."

And some things they didn't need to change because they already do it.

“We are pretty good at staying home and aren't very social compared to other cultures...so that makes it easier for us,” she says. “I’m doing things like organising my closet, working out at home and I’m also reading more.”
More than half of all Swedish homes are, like Wiking’s, made up of one resident, the highest proportion in Europe, according to Eurostat figures.

“As for social distancing, Swedes already have that down and naturally gave each other tons of physical space way before the coronavirus pandemic hit,” says Lola Akinmade Åkerström, an author on Swedish culture.
Swedes are also used to “staying at home at the slightest inkling of a headache”, she adds .... This is partly because employers tend to encourage staff to take time off if they have coughs or colds to avoid sickness spreading within companies, while Sweden offers generous sick pay compared to many countries.

Swedish drinkers to go the distance with new pub app
Could the Swedish lifestyle help fight coronavirus?

Everyone here is "just done". Common sense is no longer common. Some are overwrought with fear- some not so much. Walmart has pulled up their floor stickers, opened the other entrance. School is and has been open- there is a virtual option as well. Many now coming in person that started out virtual. Kids at the high school are much better behaved than before the shutdown- they don't want to be sent home. They wear their mask, as if it is found they were mask less sitting by someone who tests positive or was exposed- they have to go home for 2 weeks. The teachers all have anxiety to the extreme.

They have to document who is wearing one, all the time, some of the time,not at all for every period (They change classes) on top of the budget cuts, trying to teach with a mask on, the state health dept in their classrooms, virtual, in person, the kids' mental health, their health, etc etc.

The common feeling is " just done".

I forget where you live @momrids6. How are you coping? I think it’s going to be really hard to persuade the average, mostly uninformed person to stay the course. I wonder if your Walmart is sort of following the lead of uncooperative customers and deciding it’s not worth the hassle.

Thanks South!
I'm sort of holding my breath hoping that the downward trend continues in all our States.
And hoping for the same worldwide.
So glad Victoria is doing better too.

If this keeps up I'm going to be stuck with my packet of 50 face masks :)
I guess I probably should use some when I cut the grass. I always have to take an antihisamine afterwards.

Thanks, Tootsie. :)

I see your state had a memorable day today. No community transmission at all - first time since 3rd July. You guys have done a fantastic job of contact tracing!

'Incredibly pleased': NSW reaches significant coronavirus milestone

Last edited:
I forget where you live @momrids6. How are you coping? I think it’s going to be really hard to persuade the average, mostly uninformed person to stay the course. I wonder if your Walmart is sort of following the lead of uncooperative customers and deciding it’s not worth the hassle.

My walmart eased up, too. But I'd say at the minimum when I am there 98% of the customers are wearing masks.

I went in a convenience store today, got what I needed, and realized at the checkout I forgot my mask. Threw my arm over my face. You would think by now it would be 2nd nature. But I gassed up my car and just walked across the parking lot and right inside I went. Agh.

Covid-19 coronavirus: No new cases but there's 'still a risk' - Ashley Bloomfield

No new cases reported in NZ yesterday. Second time in a week.

I think I can safely say that over all the harsher restrictions have worked for our country. This second outbreak tested our resolve and willingness to sacrifice again. It wasn't easy, but the more localized response has worked well (although the entire country did go on level 2 alert while Auckland locked down for a while).

Auckland is now going to level 2 alert on Thursday, and the rest of the country moves to level 1 which is basically the most freedom we can have while still being mindful of the warning signs and still trying to keep up the common sense safety protocols.

For us, elimination IS a possibility, but the reality is that there will still be flare ups and those need to be prepared for. Suppression is definitely do-able if the majority wear masks, keep distance and work from home when they can, while the government also maintains a high level of testing and contact tracing to clamp down on any resurgences swiftly.

Hang on, vaccines are not cures. Correct me if I am wrong, but as I understand it, this is meant to be a preventative thing. Basically giving your body a fighting chance to ward off the illness before it becomes severe. Some focus on developing a stronger immune response via antibodies or TCells, others try to stop the virus from being able to replicate easily or bond with the ACE receptors. So if you are already affected badly, it's not going to help you. It is not a treatment or therapeutic drug. There are other medicines and procedures being developed to help treat someone who is affected more seriously by the disease.

This is what the flu vaccine does. It makes it less likely to develop severe complications. And if you do get it, chances are it will be less severe. That's why even a 40-50% efficacy rate is great news.

Edited to add: You don't want an immune response that is TOO strong. An over-reaction to something the body deems as an intruder can lead to even worse complications. Cytokine storms are an example of that.

I live in GA. No one ever looked at the stuff on the floor and I think they are getting ready for Christmas stock. Most here wear a mask now in there my husband says. I don't go in- I sit in the car. I cannot handle a mask - sheer panic. I had to go to the Tag office yesterday to register my new car and had to wear one. It was absolutely PTSD/flashback causing. Thank goodness it was quick.

edited to answer your question: I am coping just as well as I think most are, albeit I think it is easier for me as I work from home and my kids are grown. The fact I was an only child until stepsiblings helps too- used to amusing myself :) I do not like the extra stress and anxiety my husband has right now as a teacher- although he handles all of it so well. My husband knows and understands why the mask causes me such distress; no problem him shopping. Our youngest still lives with us (21) who goes to both work and college and also picks up stuff as needed. I try and not overMomthink about my sons and husband out at work, school, etc. Some days that is easier than others. My nails look great- now that I started dipping them at home! How are you doing with this??

Last edited:
Covid-19 coronavirus: No new cases but there's 'still a risk' - Ashley Bloomfield

No new cases reported in NZ yesterday. Second time in a week.

I think I can safely say that over all the harsher restrictions have worked for our country. This second outbreak tested our resolve and willingness to sacrifice again. It wasn't easy, but the more localized response has worked well (although the entire country did go on level 2 alert while Auckland locked down for a while).

Auckland is now going to level 2 alert on Thursday, and the rest of the country moves to level 1 which is basically the most freedom we can have while still being mindful of the warning signs and still trying to keep up the common sense safety protocols.

For us, elimination IS a possibility, but the reality is that there will still be flare ups and those need to be prepared for. Suppression is definitely do-able if the majority wear masks, keep distance and work from home when they can, while the government also maintains a high level of testing and contact tracing to clamp down on any resurgences swiftly.
What’s the population like there? How do you afford a lockdown?

In the US there is poverty that is crushing for many. There are desperate immigrants fleeing abysmal conditions in Mexico, Central and South America that come with nothing. There are not enough wealthy individuals to take of all the needs. Shutting down the economy is catastrophic because many people live month to month and do not own homes. Winter is coming now.

Last edited:
So, the question is, for people who are over age 75, and have multiple chronic health issues..
Basically, there is no testing group for these folks, the ones getting the vaccine will be the "testing group". It is a crap shoot. Either it works, or it could potentially give this group a myriad of bad side effects. No one knows.

Zero sum choice. Take your chances with the vaccine, or potentially catching the virus.

I don't see it as "zero sum." We old folks are, after all, *advertiser censored* sapiens. We share the same basic biology.

You're right though, that vaccines don't get tested on the very vulnerable - but there are tons of studies using data from the fairly vulnerable to inform us.

There has never been a vaccine with the kind of pattern that you describe (99.9% safe for people under 75, but "myriad complications" for the same group of people, but 1-20 years older).

It doesn't work that way. A vaccine challenges the human immune system in very predictable ways. We approve them for 6 month old babies (!) based on trials with older people. They work.

The test groups of the most of the current vaccines do include older people - so we *do* know the effects on some older people (but not children). I'll be happy to be part of the older trial group, as I am very clear in my mind about how vaccines work and what constitutes a vaccine.

But I do want my vaccine type to be tested in a broad range. For me, the fact that the Oxford Vaccine (as an example) was initially tested by a group 18-65 is good.

The reason that older people have less effective results has nothing to do with the vaccine and everything to do with how T-cell immunity works.

I don't see it as "zero sum." We old folks are, after all, *advertiser censored* sapiens. We share the same basic biology.

You're right though, that vaccines don't get tested on the very vulnerable - but there are tons of studies using data from the fairly vulnerable to inform us.

There has never been a vaccine with the kind of pattern that you describe (99.9% safe for people under 75, but "myriad complications" for the same group of people, but 1-20 years older).

It doesn't work that way. A vaccine challenges the human immune system in very predictable ways. We approve them for 6 month old babies (!) based on trials with older people. They work.

The test groups of the most of the current vaccines do include older people - so we *do* know the effects on some older people (but not children). I'll be happy to be part of the older trial group, as I am very clear in my mind about how vaccines work and what constitutes a vaccine.

But I do want my vaccine type to be tested in a broad range. For me, the fact that the Oxford Vaccine (as an example) was initially tested by a group 18-65 is good.

The reason that older people have less effective results has nothing to do with the vaccine and everything to do with how T-cell immunity works.

Let me ask you this question: it has been stated that even mild cases of Covid can cause problems (cardiac for one)---- so if you take the vaccine and develop a mild case of Covid, does that mean you would have the potential to develop the sequelae that can occur with a mild Covid case?

Vitamin D deficiency in African Americans is associated with a high risk of severe disease and mortality by SARS-CoV-2

There are many health disparities in AA like high incidence rates of obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure, cardiovascular and renal diseases, among others. The usual explanation for these differences is the low socioeconomic status and educational levels, the social environment, lifestyle habits, and less access to health care services. However, there are pieces of evidence that these non-favorable conditions are not enough, and there are other influential factors that may help to a better approach to the real problem, like some genetic polymorphism and epigenetic-driven changes [2]. In this sense, of medical relevance are the differences in renin-angiotensin-aldosterone systems (RAAS), renal sodium manages [3], and -of interest for this letter-, the low levels of serum vitamin D.

Consequently, as is summarized in figure, our letter aims to generate discussion addressing plausible use of high doses of vitamin D in the AA population as a protective strategy in COVID-19 against both virus entrance, inflammatory storm, and inclusive, the death. As was proposed for other high-risk populations, and currently are ongoing at list ten randomized controlled trials [20], it is necessary to know whether vitamin D supplementation could be useful in the prevention and treatment of COVID-19 in the AA population.

Vitamin D deficiency in African Americans is associated with a high risk of severe disease and mortality by SARS-CoV-2

Latino’s proven to be more Vitamin D deficient than other races

After putting together a study, Dr. Mangoo showed that 90 percent of Hispanics were Vitamin D deficient compared to 50 percent of Caucasians. This made Mangoo realize Vitamin D levels may be a genetic issue.

On average, a person’s Vitamin D level should be right around 30 to 100. In this study, the Caucasian population was found to have levels on average of 27. The Hispanic population was much lower, they were coming in on average at 18.

“So Vitamin D deficiency is genetically passed to us through our genes in Hispanics, and is more and more relevant, than those who are Caucasian,” said Dr. Mango.

Latino’s proven to be more Vitamin D deficient than other races

Vitamin D deficiency may raise risk of getting COVID-19, study finds

In a retrospective study of patients tested for COVID-19, researchers at the University of Chicago Medicine found an association between vitamin D deficiency and the likelihood of becoming infected with the coronavirus.

Half of Americans are deficient in Vitamin D, with much higher rates seen in African Americans, Hispanics and individuals living in areas like Chicago where it is difficult to get enough sun exposure in winter.

"Understanding whether treating Vitamin D deficiency changes COVID-19 risk could be of great importance locally, nationally and globally," Meltzer said. "Vitamin D is inexpensive, generally very safe to take, and can be widely scaled."

Vitamin D deficiency may raise risk of getting COVID-19, study finds

Let me ask you this question: it has been stated that even mild cases of Covid can cause problems (cardiac for one)---- so if you take the vaccine and develop a mild case of Covid, does that mean you would have the potential to develop the sequelae that can occur with a mild Covid case?
Good question, but I doubt anyone on this forum could answer it. I'm sure that's a big concern in running vaccine trials.

What’s the population like there? How do you afford a lockdown?

In the US there is poverty that is crushing for many. There are desperate immigrants fleeing abysmal conditions in Mexico, Central and South America that come with nothing. There are not enough wealthy individuals to take of all the needs. Shutting down the economy is catastrophic because many people live month to month and do not own homes. Winter is coming now.

We have about 5 million people. Plus we are an island nation which makes it easier to control the border.

We also have pretty high tax rates here, which are used for public services, infrastructure and education et cetera. We have universal healthcare and pretty strong social safety nets.

The economy is definitely a concern, don't get me wrong. But we feel it's the government's job to step in when major crises face the nation. That's what our taxpayer money is for.

Here we have had income subsidies for those impacted by the lock down and/or unable to work from home, rent increase freezes to protect tenants, bank mortgage holidays for homeowners, no interest small business govt loans, and other assistance programs implemented. For example, my parents get a weekly "winter subsidy" from the government for their power bill.

We also have strong social services at the city council level. Where I live, a stadium was converted into a temporary food bank. Households who needed extra food to tide them over could register for a food parcel. Senior citizens were checked on regularly. My mum and dad were called several times over the lockdown period by Senior Services to make sure that they were doing okay in terms of food, power & medical Services.

Businesses repurposed themselves, for example clothing companies making masks and PPE. Or they found ways to adapt to the new rules, such as offering an online service, or contactless delivery. An example is that my son's dance studio went completely online with their classes ( mostly pre recorded weekly classes, but also with live zoom events, and guest tutors) for three months. They stayed in business due to innovation, whereas another local dance studio couldn't adapt and closed permanently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelpingHandz