Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
We can truthfully say it came from China. We can say they made errors in spread early on ignoring the danger of the new virus. But we can't absolve our own countries of failing to do the same later on. The US has done way less than China has done. And we have had ample time to recognize the severity of this. China was not truly aware last year to the extent we are. How we can point fingers at China but absolve ourselves for an even greater failure with access to way more info?

Also why is it people blame China while simultaneously downplaying the severity of the virus? I mean which is it? A no big deal virus we are all just going to have to get anyway? Or a virus that's truly dangerous that we should be really attempting to prevent spread? It just can't be both no big deal AND China's fault that a no big deal virus no worse than the flu came here and it's their fault we didn't do what they did to prevent further spread. This makes no sense to me.

JMOO, but the lockdown in China was short-lived and it's people have been out and about--keep in mind they're packed like sardines in that nation--for months without seeing anywhere near the death toll of other nations.

You must have missed the coverage of the harsh measures taken by China to suppress the spread of Covid.

As The Guardian article states “brutal but effective”

People in China forcibly taken in quarantine:
Video appears to show people in China forcibly taken for quarantine over coronavirus

Radical measures:
Coronavirus: This is how China beat COVID-19. Could America handle it?

In late February as coronavirus infections mounted in Wuhan, China, authorities went door-to-door for health checks – forcibly isolating every resident in makeshift hospitals and temporary quarantine shelters, even separating parents from young children who displayed symptoms of COVID-19, no matter how seemingly mild.

Caretakers at the city's ubiquitous large apartment buildings were pressed into service as ad hoc security guards, monitoring the temperatures of all residents, deciding who could come in and implementing inspections of delivered food and medicines.

Outside, drones hovered above streets, yelling at people to get inside and scolding them for not wearing face masks, while elsewhere in China facial-recognition software, linked to a mandatory phone app that color-coded people based on their contagion risk, decided who could enter shopping malls, subways, cafes and other public spaces.

……………"We couldn't go outside under any circumstances. Not even if you have a pet," said Wang Jingjun, 27,…..​

Brutal but effective:
China's coronavirus lockdown strategy: brutal but effective

Later the policy became even more aggressive, with officials going door to door for health checks, and forcing anyone ill into isolation. A disabled boy reportedly died after he was left without food, water or help when his his father and brother were quarantined.

Harsh response to suppress spread:
China's unprecedentedly drastic response to the coronavirus saved hundreds of thousands of people from catching it, according to a WHO official who went there

The Chinese government prevented "hundreds of thousands" of people from catching the coronavirus with its harsh measures to suppress its spread, a senior WHO official said.​

Google for much more to get caught up on China's ongoing response to Covid.

I read earlier today that Wisconsin is having a real blow out in cases at the moment. Their hospitals are filling up fast and they are approaching crisis. (Sorry, I just looked in my history for the link, but it has dropped off because I have looked at too many articles since then.)

But I did come across this article which names many of the people who the president has been with over what could be his initial infectious period. There are a lot of people named, and a lot who were part of crowds. Senator Johnson's name is not there.

A running list of all the people Trump came into contact with in the days before he tested positive for COVID-19

ETA: An article about Wisconsin's escalating situation, in case someone wants a link.
Wisconsin coronavirus: Spike continues with 2,700 new cases Friday

What do they think is accounting for this spike of new cases?

Thanks for the link. Looks like this was just reported yesterday.
Perhaps this is why she and her family were not wearing masks at the Rose Garden event when she was nominated to serve as a Justice of the Supreme Court.

Could be?

Ummmmm, Yet what about the other 200+ that were should to shoulder outdoors not following guidelines?

Last edited:
<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

I think these events with COVID show we need to bring back manufacturing the things we need to this country so we aren't dependent on countries who dislike us and threaten us. But I don't blame other countries for looking out for their own countries interests. It's important that each country make the effort to stop the spread of a virus within it and make sure the country has what it needs to do this and survive it.

Our country has suffered extreme disruptions and it sounds like it's not getting better any time soon. I hope we can pull together as a nation and truly work together to take care of our fellow citizens. I think to do that we desperately need to be proactive and looking actively towards the future and what risks we are facing and not focus exclusively on the past. If we are going to look at failures it's better to focus on our own failures to see what went wrong and how we can change that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right. Indoor mass gatherings like Tulsa, no distancing or respect for any guidance or science, no masks. Super spreaders.

I think there was a false sense of security in the Rose Garden because it was outdoors but people were sitting very close to each other, no masks, hugging, shaking hands, all of which facilitated transmission of the virus.

We can truthfully say it came from China. We can say they made errors in spread early on ignoring the danger of the new virus. But we can't absolve our own countries of failing to do the same later on. The US has done way less than China has done. And we have had ample time to recognize the severity of this. China was not truly aware last year to the extent we are. How we can point fingers at China but absolve ourselves for an even greater failure with access to way more info?

Also why is it people blame China while simultaneously downplaying the severity of the virus? I mean which is it? A no big deal virus we are all just going to have to get anyway? Or a virus that's truly dangerous that we should be really attempting to prevent spread? It just can't be both no big deal AND China's fault that a no big deal virus no worse than the flu came here and it's their fault we didn't do what they did to prevent further spread. This makes no sense to me.

Very well stated and appreciated. Once the virus came here from China, we(or any country ) is responsible for managing it. Let's be real: the United States has done an extremely poor job of managing this virus and blaming it on China doesn't mitigate our responsibility. The leadership in this country, at all levels, has failed us miserably.

Reminds me to mention the huge spike in cases in St. Joe County, South Bend. Posted early this a.m.

St. Joseph County health leaders 'plead with our community' as COVID-19 hospitalizations rise
St. Joseph County health officials Friday pleaded with community members to renew their efforts to reduce the spread of the coronavirus, pointing to what they described as an alarming rise in both COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations from the disease.” ...

“When asked whether it was too early to fully reopen the state, Dr. Robert Einterz, the St. Joseph County health officer, suggested the most important question is not whether indoor spaces are open at full capacity, but whether people do their part by following guidelines.

“Take a nightclub,” he said. “If you’re at 50% capacity but if that 50% are all congregated at the dance floor, well, you’ve got a problem.”

I thought I recall them locking down for quite a long time. And they increased the security of those lock downs repeatedly until the testing was supposedly down to next to nothing. I take their reports with a grain of salt but did listen to people inside and risking their lives and livelihood to expose what was going on.

They were MONTHS out and still literally locked in their homes and having to rely exclusively on food deliveries. At some point they were only leaving homes to pick up food outside it. Way harder and longer lockdown than pretty much anywhere else in the world.

I did always find it really odd that there was no real resurgence of any real severity there since then though.

They have tight control on what is going on. And they have had other outbreaks. There was an outbreak in a Chinese province near the North Korean border at one point. And an outbreak at a fisheries precinct. I am sure we discussed them on here, somewhere along the way.

They use street CCTV to watch for people who don't wear a mask, and have colour coded geo-systems to track who is infected, who is quarantined, who is healthy.

Some of the methods are explained more in this article.

US, Israel, South Korea, and China look at intrusive surveillance solutions for tracking COVID-19 | ZDNet

What do they think is accounting for this spike of new cases?

Complacency ....

Health care officials said a number of factors could be at play in the recent spike, but it's likely the result of people not paying attention to basic prevention. It's no secret that bars and restaurants — especially in northern and rural parts of the state — are often packed, with masks and social distancing often ignored.
Wisconsin coronavirus: Spike continues with 2,700 new cases Friday

Thanks for the link. Looks like this was just reported yesterday.
Perhaps this is why she and her family were not wearing masks at the Rose Garden event when she was nominated to serve as a Justice of the Supreme Court.

If you have already had coronavirus, do you need to wear a mask?

Dr. David Ellis, Chief Medical Officer at UNC Pardee Hospital, said, yes, you should wear a mask even if you've had the virus.

We don't fully understand if people might develop the ability to shed active virus again, and, certainly, there have been, while only a few, well-documented cases of reinfection, and there are some documented cases of reinfection. You're wearing a mask not only for your protection but for the protection of the people around you," -- Dr. David Ellis.

A Supreme Court nominee, top leaders in the country, first family members, esteemed head of Notre Dame and no one wants to make sure they are all safe and protected whether they like it not?

Not even a modicum of distancing as urged for outdoor activities?

IMO

Have you got a link that the Tour spread Covid?

In case anyone has lost the thread, tresir is referring to the Tour de France, the renown cycling competition which ran from Aug 29th to Sept 20th.

Can we agree that the recommendations to social distance, and wear masks are helpful in preventing the spread of covid, and that occasions where people are not social distancing, and not wearing masks may result in the spread of covid.?

This pandemic has been going for a few months now, and much has been learned about how it is transmitted, but these are some basic truths.

France went from 272,000 cases before the race began at the end of August, to 513,000, double that number by the end of September. While we can't, with certainty, trace the rise to the TdF, it is with certainty that we can say there were constant situations which were problematic.

If we continue to cast doubt upon obviously risky situations, then what hope is there that we can ever reduce the transmission rates?

GettyImages-1270822143-920x613.jpg

'This cannot be right': Riders react to Tour de France fans not wearing masks and rest day coronavirus tests - Cycling Weekly

Fans banned from Tour de France starts and finishes in coronavirus red zones | Cyclingnews

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)32021-3/fulltext

This article is dated 10/3/20- If I am reading it correctly the article reflects disappointment with respect to treating patients with this drug. What it seems to suggest is that the drug could be effective if there is not a high viral load. They further suggest, that by the time a patient is diagnosed, the viral load is too high for this drug to be effective. At least that is my take on it: appreciate thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evremevremm