Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #80

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reminds me to mention the huge spike in cases in St. Joe County, South Bend. Posted early this a.m.

St. Joseph County health leaders 'plead with our community' as COVID-19 hospitalizations rise
St. Joseph County health officials Friday pleaded with community members to renew their efforts to reduce the spread of the coronavirus, pointing to what they described as an alarming rise in both COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations from the disease.” ...

“When asked whether it was too early to fully reopen the state, Dr. Robert Einterz, the St. Joseph County health officer, suggested the most important question is not whether indoor spaces are open at full capacity, but whether people do their part by following guidelines.

“Take a nightclub,” he said. “If you’re at 50% capacity but if that 50% are all congregated at the dance floor, well, you’ve got a problem.”

and to piggyback off of this...

Notre Dame suspends in-person classes after COVID-19 cases surge following off-campus parties

On Monday, Notre Dame — one of the country's wealthiest and most prestigious religious colleges — reported 80 new confirmed coronavirus infections, bringing the school's total number of cases to 147 since the South Bend, Indiana, campus resumed in-person classes on August 3, according to the university's website. Monday's testing data indicate a 19.1% positivity rate, nearly four times the rate that the World Health Organization recommends for states to reopen.
D.D., , a junior, told WSBT-TV. "I think we've had a week of exponential growth in terms of cases on campus, and with the lack of testing, I don't personally have faith that the university has it under control."

MOO: Father Jenkins certainly should have known better :mad:

What do they think is accounting for this spike of new cases?

I don't see right now that Wisconsin is in a crisis. This is the IHME which the white house uses for projections.

You can drill up to US and down to any state for projections on hospital resources, ICU beds etc. But the statisticians put into their models what affects the rates (e.g. usage of masks, social distancing etc)

IHME | COVID-19 Projections

Last edited:
I think there was a false sense of security in the Rose Garden because it was outdoors but people were sitting very close to each other, no masks, hugging, shaking hands, all of which facilitated transmission of the virus.

And that to me is what is so tragic and inexplicable. I thought that EVERYONE has been given the opportunity to be educated that even if outdoors, you need to social distance big time and/or wear masks. How could all those educated folks have a false sense of security?

Again, a teaching/learning opportunity as apparently there are so many that just don't understand science? Is this a call to more education in our schools as to understanding what exponential is? What a virus is? How diseases are spread?

It is so so so very concerning that what I thought were educated folks not appearing to following recommendations/doing what educated folks do upon learning and understanding.

I don't see right now that Wisconsin is in a crisis. This is the IHME which the white house uses for projections.

You can drill up to US and down to any state for projections on hospital resources, ICU beds etc. But the statisticians put into their models what affects the rates (e.g. usage of masks etc)

IHME | COVID-19 Projections

Apparently they are getting nervous. Their hospital bed usage has tripled in the last month. Their Dept of Health graphs look like this.

xx2.JPG xx3.JPG

Their aged care homes are putting restrictions in place again.
And someone is mounting a legal challenge to their mask mandate. It is explained in this article.

Wisconsin coronavirus: Spike continues with 2,700 new cases Friday

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)32021-3/fulltext

This article is dated 10/3/20- If I am reading it correctly the article reflects disappointment with respect to treating patients with this drug. What it seems to suggest is that the drug could be effective if there is not a high viral load. They further suggest, that by the time a patient is diagnosed, the viral load is too high for this drug to be effective. At least that is my take on it: appreciate thoughts.

this study says Regeneron reduces viral load,maybe that’s why they gave it to him before the remdesivir.

Regeneron announced late yesterday its positive data from its trial looking at its investigational antibody cocktail, REGN-COV2, showing it reduced viral load and the time to alleviate symptoms in non-hospitalized patients with COVID-19.
Investigational Therapy Reduces Viral Load in Non-Hospitalized COVID-19 Patients

Vice President Mike Pence tests negative for Covid-19 this morning

Vice President Mike Pence and second lady Karen Pence tested negative for coronavirus Saturday morning.

Pence is still planning to travel to Salt Lake on Monday as planned.

Donald Trump Jr. says he has tested negative for Covid-19

The President’s son, Donald Trump Jr., announced Saturday that he has tested negative for Covid-19.

He was at the presidential debate Tuesday with other family members

Complacency ....

Health care officials said a number of factors could be at play in the recent spike, but it's likely the result of people not paying attention to basic prevention. It's no secret that bars and restaurants — especially in northern and rural parts of the state — are often packed, with masks and social distancing often ignored.

Yes, the Rt's were getting below 1 months ago... and now.. most states are increasing. (For those that don't know, Rt is the real time transmission rate... goal is to get under 1.0. Most states are now above.

Rt COVID-19

rtnow.JPG

and to piggyback off of this...

Notre Dame suspends in-person classes after COVID-19 cases surge following off-campus parties

On Monday, Notre Dame — one of the country's wealthiest and most prestigious religious colleges — reported 80 new confirmed coronavirus infections, bringing the school's total number of cases to 147 since the South Bend, Indiana, campus resumed in-person classes on August 3, according to the university's website. Monday's testing data indicate a 19.1% positivity rate, nearly four times the rate that the World Health Organization recommends for states to reopen.
D.D., , a junior, told WSBT-TV. "I think we've had a week of exponential growth in terms of cases on campus, and with the lack of testing, I don't personally have faith that the university has it under control."

MOO: Father Jenkins certainly should have known better :mad:

What's the status of Notre Dame now?

@FoxReports
Sen. Rick Scott says he has tested positive in interview on Fox New.

****@abbydphillip
@mkraju
Sen. Rick Scott is NEGATIVE for COVID-19. He misspoke in an interview this morning, per his office.

@SenRickScott

I misspoke this morning in my
@FoxNews
interview. I was tested yesterday for COVID and tested NEGATIVE.

Last edited:
From your link, it doesn't say if he was at the Rose Garden, or at the debate or ???. Wonder where the exposure was from. I'm not familiar with this senator from Wisconsin, or who was positive may have traveled to Wisconsin?

He is noted being asymptomatic at this time, and was only tested due to exposure he was notified of. (Second time as he also stopped travelling with the President back in September and quarantined until September 29th) Sen. Ron Johnson won't travel with Trump after exposure to individual who tested positive for Covid - CNNPolitics . Interesting that it states that he was tested late Wednesday.

"Sen. Johnson was informed today that he was exposed to someone on Monday who has tested positive for covid-19," Ben Voelkel, a spokesman for the senator, said in a statement on Thursday. "Sen. Johnson is experiencing no symptoms, but was tested late Wednesday because he was scheduled to travel with the President today. Sen. Johnson tested negative, but he has been placed in quarantine until September 29. Sen. Johnson will not be traveling with the President or attending the event in Mosinee tonight."

Others here are more educated in such than I that might have an idea?

EjZ_2x_XgAQKhK1

Sen. Ron Johnson, of Wisconsin, has tested positive for Covid-19.

Johnson was not at the Amy Coney Barrett ceremony because he was quarantining from a prior exposure, during which he twice tested negative for the virus.

His office said he was again exposed “shortly after” returning to Washington, DC, on Sept. 29 and was tested Friday afternoon.

If the three senators – Thom Tillis, Johnson and Mike Lee – remain out this month, it would effectively prevent Barrett from being confirmed to the Supreme Court until they return.

Live updates: Donald Trump's Covid-19 diagnosis and reactions

Apparently they are getting nervous. Their hospital bed usage has tripled in the last month. Their Dept of Health graphs look like this.

View attachment 266621 View attachment 266622

Their aged care homes are putting restrictions in place again.
And someone is mounting a legal challenge to their mask mandate. It is explained in this article.

Thank you so much. It's harder to discern when looking at some sites the uptick.

Appreciate you taking the time to share and update!

And that to me is what is so tragic and inexplicable. I thought that EVERYONE has been given the opportunity to be educated that even if outdoors, you need to social distance big time and/or wear masks. How could all those educated folks have a false sense of security?

Again, a teaching/learning opportunity as apparently there are so many that just don't understand science? Is this a call to more education in our schools as to understanding what exponential is? What a virus is? How diseases are spread?

It is so so so very concerning that what I thought were educated folks not appearing to following recommendations/doing what educated folks do upon learning and understanding.

Educated folks can fear being mocked for taking precautions and may prefer to risk their health and that of others to be “socially accepted.” Which makes them educated but dumb. We teach our kids not to follow the crowd to their detriment. I remember my Mom saying to me “If everyone is jumping off a cliff are you going to follow?” But apparently adults in this particular environment close to power will play follow-the-leader and some may die or be seriously injured. Even if no harm came to them, the example they set for the rest of the country by thumbing their noses at established science in this very public setting is IMO criminal and shows incredible hubris.
JMO MOO

Vice President Mike Pence and second lady Karen Pence tested negative for coronavirus Saturday morning.

The President’s son, Donald Trump Jr., announced Saturday that he has tested negative for Covid-19.

Donald Trump, Jr. was interviewed last night on television and said that he plans to do another COVID test on Tuesday, and if that test is also negative, then he will continue on with his schedule on the campaign trail.

And he (Donald Jr) was not at the other two potential events (Rose Garden/flight back home) as to the spread (timing MOO = Rose Garden event as to initial spreading with mean time for symptoms = 5 days as that was after 4 days)

Here's who had contact with Trump this week before he tested positive for Covid-19

travel.JPG

ETA#2 RSBM my own earlier ETA on this post - removed that Rick Scott from Florida was positive - Rick Scott is saying NOW on twitter 5 minutes ago that he "mispoke" when he said that he was tested positive yesterday on Cavuto live show this am. WIERD!

Rick Scott SenRickScott 5m
I misspoke this morning in my@FoxNews
interview. I was tested yesterday for COVID and tested NEGATIVE.

Last edited:
And he (Donald Jr) was not at the other two potential events (Rose Garden/flight back home) as to the spread (timing MOO = Rose Garden event as to initial spreading with mean time for symptoms = 5 days as that was after 4 days)

Here's who had contact with Trump this week before he tested positive for Covid-19

View attachment 266624

ETA: Senator Rick Scott from FLORIDA is now stating POSITIVE

Donald Trump, Jr. was interviewed last night on television and said that he plans to do another COVID test on Tuesday, and if that test is also negative, then he will continue on with his schedule on the campaign trail.

Donald Jr was at the debate Tuesday night. He should self-quarantine 2 weeks, not one.

Yes, I have been keeping up with what is happening in China.
It is always of great interest to us in Australia ... something that we watch.
We are quite isolated down here among all these Asian countries.

I don't believe there is any scam there. They likely under-reported their casualties from the virus. They are easily offended. But they also have the capacity to lock down hard and fast, and their citizens do not question that. They do as they are told.

We have had journos there until a few weeks ago, when they quickly fled the country. I mentioned it here when it happened.

That's not the way I remember the events in China at the heat of the outbreak. Imho....

Educated folks can fear being mocked for taking precautions and may prefer to risk their health and that of others to be “socially accepted.” Which makes them educated but dumb. We teach our kids not to follow the crowd to their detriment. I remember my Mom saying to me “If everyone is jumping off a cliff are you going to follow?” But apparently adults in this particular environment close to power will play follow-the-leader and some may die or be seriously injured. Even if no harm came to them, the example they set for the rest of the country by thumbing their noses at established science in this very public setting is IMO criminal and shows incredible hubris.
JMO MOO

Yep- follow the leader-- exactly

But if Donald Jr is counting his exposure from the time of the debate on Tuesday, testing negative this coming Tuesday isn’t long enough to be sure. It can take up to 14 days from exposure to test positive according to Harvard and MIT. Stay away from Donald Jr everyone! :eek: And the same goes for Mike Pence, depending on when he may have been exposed. He was at the Rose Garden event for Amy Barrett. Anyone who was at that event or the debate needs to hunker down for 14 days regardless of test results.

How soon after I'm infected with the new coronavirus will I start to be contagious?

The time from exposure to symptom onset (known as the incubation period) is thought to be three to 14 days,
though symptoms typically appear within four or five days after exposure.

We know that a person with COVID-19 may be contagious 48 to 72 hours before starting to experience symptoms. Emerging research suggests that people may actually be most likely to spread the virus to others during the 48 hours before they start to experience symptoms.

If true, this strengthens the case for face masks, physical distancing, and contact tracing, all of which can help reduce the risk that someone who is infected but not yet experiencing symptoms may unknowingly infect others.
BBM

If you've been exposed to the coronavirus - Harvard Health

MIT says the same thing:

On average, symptoms of the virus develop five to six days post exposure, but the incubation period can be as long as 14 days. And, of course some people never develop noticeable or debilitating symptoms — hence the recommendation to self-quarantine and self-monitor for a full two weeks after any likely exposure.

All of this is why we’re not recommending that people make decisions about their activities or contacts based on the results of a negative test shortly after possible exposure. For example, it’s not a good idea to fly into Boston on a crowded flight, get a COVID-19 diagnostic test within a day or two of arrival, and then, based on a negative result, visit your elderly grandparents. The only thing that negative test can tell you is that, at that particular moment in time, your sample did not show viral levels high enough to be reliably measured. It does not mean you were not exposed and infected during your travels. It does not mean you were not exposed and infected after your arrival. Do you want to visit your grandparents after flying into Boston? Self quarantine for 14 days first.
When should I be tested? | MIT Medical

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members