Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #83

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
A strategy to prevent future epidemics similar to the 2019-nCoV outbreak - ScienceDirect

Over the past 10 years collaborating with scientists in China, we collected samples from over 10,000 bats and ~2000 other mammals across South China and discovered 52 novel SARSr-CoVs, 122 other β-CoVs, more than 350 novel α-CoVs (including the new Swine Acute Diarrheal Syndrome Coronavirus SADS-CoV), and a new “lineage E” β-CoV clade [11,12]. We found SARS-related CoVs that can bind to human cells, and that cause SARS-like disease in humanized mouse models that was not prevented with a vaccine candidate against SARS-CoV, and were not treatable with almost all of the monoclonal therapies being developed for SARS [8,[13], [14], [15], [16]]. Finally, we showed serological evidence that people living at the wildlife-human interface in rural China were being exposed to SARS-related coronaviruses, perhaps even the same virus as nCoV-2019, between the emergence of SARS and the current outbreak [17,18]. Together these data mark wildlife-origin coronaviruses as a ‘clear and present danger’. They also highlight exactly the issue of key concern in the current outbreak — that there is a large diversity of viral strains in wildlife in China with significant potential for emergence in people. Further, we estimate that there are thousands of other CoVs in bats across Southeast Asia, many of which will have pandemic potential. We strongly urge that scientists in these countries work to discover all of these viruses so that we can catalog them, develop a reference library for rapid pathogen identification and risk assessment, and test vaccines and therapies against them [19,20].

Makes my skin crawl. Especially the new pigs**t one SADS-COV.

I found this to be the main message of above article. The wildlife trade is, by no means, isolated to China, and

Dealing with the risk of future epidemics and pandemics requires a global effort.

China is located within a major ‘emerging disease hotspot’ in Southeast Asia, but there is also a high risk of future diseases originating in sub-Saharan Africa, South Asia and Latin America

Furthermore, the drivers of disease emergence are human activities that are expanding on a global scale, including deforestation, agricultural intensification and the wildlife trade.

This has led to an exponential increase in the frequency of animal-human contact and likelihood of novel disease emergence and spread, suggesting that pandemics will become more frequent and more devastating in the future.

Well, a group of people panting indoors is probably something to avoid. Or singing. Probably also playing wind instruments. Anything where people are taking a deep breath and exhaling it - the faster they do this, the more virions they expel.

I'd avoid anyone who is doing aerobic exercise in an indoor setting with strangers. I see a lot of cross-fit classes moving outdoors, with lots of space. I probably wouldn't risk that, right now, as it would upset my DH, but personally, I think outdoor panting is relatively safe (although...now that I think about it, probably not a good idea to have a CoVid transmitter panting near me for an hour).

I'd avoid all indoor events with unmasked strangers as much as possible.

Does Canada permit indoor exercise classes to be without masks?

https://www.ontario.ca/page/guidanc...-fitness-activities-during-covid-19#section-1

Facility operators should be familiar with the requirement in section 2 of Schedule 1 of the Regulation requiring the person responsible for a business or organization that is open to ensure that any person in the indoor area of the premises wears a mask or face covering in a manner that covers their mouth, nose and chin during any period when they are in the indoor area, subject to exceptions set out in the Regulation.

Well, a group of people panting indoors is probably something to avoid. Or singing. Probably also playing wind instruments. Anything where people are taking a deep breath and exhaling it - the faster they do this, the more virions they expel.

I'd avoid anyone who is doing aerobic exercise in an indoor setting with strangers. I see a lot of cross-fit classes moving outdoors, with lots of space. I probably wouldn't risk that, right now, as it would upset my DH, but personally, I think outdoor panting is relatively safe (although...now that I think about it, probably not a good idea to have a CoVid transmitter panting near me for an hour).

I'd avoid all indoor events with unmasked strangers as much as possible.

Does Canada permit indoor exercise classes to be without masks?

You might like this study that came out of the Netherlands. They are recommending of a distance 10 m (32') for outdoor runners.

I was watching the Italian Giro, and a commentator mentioned something about a 20 m distance for outdoor cyclists. (I have no link for that, but I may be able to find a report)

http://www.urbanphysics.net/COVID19_Aero_Paper.pdf

You might like this study that came out of the Netherlands. They are recommending of a distance 10 m (32') for outdoor runners.

I was watching the Italian Giro, and a commentator mentioned something about a 20 m distance for outdoor cyclists. (I have no link for that, but I may be able to find a report)

http://www.urbanphysics.net/COVID19_Aero_Paper.pdf

Thank you! Since there's so much community transmission, it's possible that such activities should be looked at closely.

Of course, if all the non-runners are wearing masks, it's probably a small vector. But in a race or a peloton, I can see how it could get transmitted.

Idaho woman in the hospital after being infected with coronavirus for the second time | ktvb.com

BOISE, Idaho — Carol Ruhter is battling serious symptoms after testing positive for COVID-19. She was taken to St. Luke's in Twin Falls as her condition got progressively worse.

“I thought I was dying, my whole body was so hot. My temperature when I got to the hospital was 103.8 degrees and I couldn’t breathe,” Ruhter said. “It’s been a nightmare.”

Unfortunately, Ruhter is all too familiar with COVID-19: this is now the second time she’s gotten the virus.

Getting COVID-19 twice is not impossible; research has drawn some conclusions on immunity to the virus, according to retired CEO and president of St. Luke's Health System Dr. David Pate.

"It certainly isn’t common, but it’s well documented,” Pate said. "If you get infected with COVID, we have reason to believe that immunity is short-lived.”

“We have seen a couple of cases now where the reinfection has been far more severe than the initial infection," Pate said. "Obviously there is still much for us to learn about this virus."

Contrary to cautious optimism, the body's natural immune response to COVID-19 is not overly impressive, further emphasizing the need for a successful vaccine.

Reuters published an article yesterday - which may go some way toward explaining how reinfections can happen - that states:

"People infected with COVID-19 develop antibodies targeting the new coronavirus that last for at least three months, according to two reports published on Thursday in Science Immunology. "

More detail in the article.
COVID-19 antibodies last at least three months; so do symptoms for many

Last edited:
It has been illegal for me (not just me, my region!) to set foot in anyone else’s houses, or have anyone visit my house, for a couple of weeks now. Longer in some areas. As of tomorrow I also cannot meet up with a friend anywhere indoors, including cafes/restaurants etc.

It’s also illegal across the whole of the U.K. to gather in groups of more than six people (unless your household is more than six). All enforceable by fixed penalty fines.

The problem that is happening in Victoria is that people are not paying their covid breach fines. Not sure what they can do about that.

Victorians have racked up more than 19,000 fines throughout the pandemic for breaching COVID orders, but less than five per cent of them have been paid.
Victorians rack up more than 19,000 fines

The problem that is happening in Victoria is that people are not paying their covid breach fines. Not sure what they can do about that.

Victorians have racked up more than 19,000 fines throughout the pandemic for breaching COVID orders, but less than five per cent of them have been paid.

Not exactly sure how it works with Covid fines, but with other fines here if you don’t pay them they double, and after that you’d get a County Court Judgement and have to pay the full amount plus costs. I think!

Last edited:
After contracting the coronavirus in March, Michael Reagan lost all memory of his 12-day vacation in Paris, even though the trip was just a few weeks earlier.

Several weeks after Erica Taylor recovered from her COVID-19 symptoms of nausea and cough, she became confused and forgetful, failing to even recognize her own car, the only Toyota Prius in her apartment complex’s parking lot.

Lisa Mizelle, a veteran nurse practitioner at an urgent care clinic who fell ill with the virus in July, finds herself forgetting routine treatments and lab tests and has to ask colleagues about terminology she used to know automatically.

“I leave the room, and I can’t remember what the patient just said,” she said, adding that if she hadn’t exhausted her medical leave she’d take more time off.

“It scares me to think I’m working,” Mizelle, 53, said. “I feel like I have dementia.”

‘I feel like I have dementia’: Brain fog plagues Covid survivors - ET HealthWorld

Maybe publish a list.
Add the always attractive license photo.

Maybe publish a list.
Add the always attractive license photo.

Yes. The usual procedure for non payment of fines is reminders, then enforcement (warrants). But for over 18,000 delinquent fines it seems they will have to think of some other way - otherwise use massive amounts of administrative and court time getting the fines enforced.

BBM

Governments across Europe are ratcheting up restrictions to try to beat back a resurgence of the coronavirus that has sent new infections on the continent to their highest weekly level since the start of the pandemic.

The World Health Organisation said on Tuesday there were more than 700,000 new COVID-19 cases reported in Europe last week, a jump of 34 per cent from the previous week. Britain, France, Russia and Spain accounted for more than half of the new infections.

The increasing caseload is partly the result of more testing, but the UN health agency noted that deaths were also up 16 per cent last week from the week before.

Europe tightens rules as virus surges

Thank you! Since there's so much community transmission, it's possible that such activities should be looked at closely.

Of course, if all the non-runners are wearing masks, it's probably a small vector. But in a race or a peloton, I can see how it could get transmitted.

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

Updated CDC information, regarding transmission of Covid. Aerosol droplets can stay suspended in the air. Airborne transmission, like chicken pox.

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) - Transmission

Nevada man is first in North America to get coronavirus twice

‘Genomic analysis showed the two viral agents were genetically distinct’
Globally, there are only three other known cases of COVID-19 reinfection that have been published in medical journals.

With such a small number of documented reinfections, is this something that we should worry about? Is it possible the few who have been reinfected are outliers and the number of infected people who can be reinfected is very small?

Or does the small number of reinfections mean the mutations that caused the genetic distinction isn't enough to overcome the anti-bodies most people have from a prior infection?

Nevada man is first in North America to get coronavirus twice

Last edited:
A strategy to prevent future epidemics similar to the 2019-nCoV outbreak - ScienceDirect

Over the past 10 years collaborating with scientists in China, we collected samples from over 10,000 bats and ~2000 other mammals across South China and discovered 52 novel SARSr-CoVs, 122 other β-CoVs, more than 350 novel α-CoVs (including the new Swine Acute Diarrheal Syndrome Coronavirus SADS-CoV), and a new “lineage E” β-CoV clade [11,12]. We found SARS-related CoVs that can bind to human cells, and that cause SARS-like disease in humanized mouse models that was not prevented with a vaccine candidate against SARS-CoV, and were not treatable with almost all of the monoclonal therapies being developed for SARS [8,[13], [14], [15], [16]]. Finally, we showed serological evidence that people living at the wildlife-human interface in rural China were being exposed to SARS-related coronaviruses, perhaps even the same virus as nCoV-2019, between the emergence of SARS and the current outbreak [17,18]. Together these data mark wildlife-origin coronaviruses as a ‘clear and present danger’. They also highlight exactly the issue of key concern in the current outbreak — that there is a large diversity of viral strains in wildlife in China with significant potential for emergence in people. Further, we estimate that there are thousands of other CoVs in bats across Southeast Asia, many of which will have pandemic potential. We strongly urge that scientists in these countries work to discover all of these viruses so that we can catalog them, develop a reference library for rapid pathogen identification and risk assessment, and test vaccines and therapies against them [19,20].

I found this to be the main message of above article. The wildlife trade is, by no means, isolated to China, and

BTW Tresser.... thanks for posting this. This was written way back in March (ancient history in what we are discovering, right??) But this statement rings of interest given that this article was written, so far back but still only in March of this year!!!
We found SARS-related CoVs that can bind to human cells, and that cause SARS-like disease in humanized mouse models that was not prevented with a vaccine candidate against SARS-CoV, and were not treatable with almost all of the monoclonal therapies being developed for SARS
of int3r.

And now we know this could be the therapy to help people all over the world!!!!!!!!!!
Regeneron asks FDA for emergency authorization of its Covid-19 antibody therapy that was given to Trump last week - CNN

I am done with the gym. Just too risky.

So sad.... i feel the same.......... i see so many cars parked at my wonderful YMCA, with a great pool....but just can't do it.... I so hope i will change my mind....but not here, in FL, when the numbers just do not decline... I know there are soooo many folks I love in that building, but just can't do it........................yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member