Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #83

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
‘Patient zero displayed no symptoms’: Hamilton’s SpinCo superspreader outbreak reaches 51 cases

It is believed to be one of the largest COVID-19 outbreaks at any fitness centre in Canada. More than 50 cases, all identified within a single week, all connected to a small, niche spinning studio in downtown Hamilton.

The city’s worst active outbreak at SpinCo only grew over the long weekend, doubling its total tally of 24 cases Friday to 51 cases Monday.

Public health officials have warned that “potentially 100” SpinCo riders and secondary contacts may have been exposed to coronavirus.

Co-owners Naz Zarezadegan and Ira Price told The Spectator on Monday the studio was recently informed by public health that “patient zero displayed no symptoms.”

‘Patient zero displayed no symptoms’: Hamilton’s SpinCo superspreader outbreak reaches 51 cases

It is believed to be one of the largest COVID-19 outbreaks at any fitness centre in Canada. More than 50 cases, all identified within a single week, all connected to a small, niche spinning studio in downtown Hamilton.

The city’s worst active outbreak at SpinCo only grew over the long weekend, doubling its total tally of 24 cases Friday to 51 cases Monday.

Public health officials have warned that “potentially 100” SpinCo riders and secondary contacts may have been exposed to coronavirus.

Co-owners Naz Zarezadegan and Ira Price told The Spectator on Monday the studio was recently informed by public health that “patient zero displayed no symptoms.”

Interesting. Spin classes associated with superspreader events. I must avoid spin and anyone associated with spin? This is the second superspreader that I have seen associated with spin.

Interesting. Spin classes associated with superspreader events. I must avoid spin and anyone associated with spin? This is the second superspreader that I have seen associated with spin.

Well, a group of people panting indoors is probably something to avoid. Or singing. Probably also playing wind instruments. Anything where people are taking a deep breath and exhaling it - the faster they do this, the more virions they expel.

I'd avoid anyone who is doing aerobic exercise in an indoor setting with strangers. I see a lot of cross-fit classes moving outdoors, with lots of space. I probably wouldn't risk that, right now, as it would upset my DH, but personally, I think outdoor panting is relatively safe (although...now that I think about it, probably not a good idea to have a CoVid transmitter panting near me for an hour).

I'd avoid all indoor events with unmasked strangers as much as possible.

Does Canada permit indoor exercise classes to be without masks?

Well, a group of people panting indoors is probably something to avoid. Or singing. Probably also playing wind instruments. Anything where people are taking a deep breath and exhaling it - the faster they do this, the more virions they expel.

I'd avoid anyone who is doing aerobic exercise in an indoor setting with strangers. I see a lot of cross-fit classes moving outdoors, with lots of space. I probably wouldn't risk that, right now, as it would upset my DH, but personally, I think outdoor panting is relatively safe (although...now that I think about it, probably not a good idea to have a CoVid transmitter panting near me for an hour).

I'd avoid all indoor events with unmasked strangers as much as possible.

Does Canada permit indoor exercise classes to be without masks?

Totally agree-

SpinCo isn’t usually a large open space gym atmosphere. Very close quarters in a small enclosed space. Multiple classes a day.
No symptoms - so how would you know who is sick and who isn’t?

- U.S. drugmaker Eli Lilly and Co LLY.N said on Tuesday that the government-sponsored clinical trial of its COVID-19 antibody treatment has been paused because of a safety concern.

“Out of an abundance of caution, the ACTIV-3 independent data safety monitoring board (DSMB) has recommended a pause in enrollment,” Lilly spokeswoman Molly McCully said in an emailed statement. “Lilly is supportive of the decision by the independent DSMB to cautiously ensure the safety of the patients participating in this study.”
Eli Lilly antibody trial paused due to potential safety concern

I hope there will be Congressional hearings on this research conducted in the Wuhan lab with American taxpayer funding, particularly since "gain-of-function" research is so controversial and potentially dangerous, and scientists who oppose this kind of research believed it could lead to a pandemic.

Many scientists have criticized gain of function research, which involves manipulating viruses in the lab to explore their potential for infecting humans, because it creates a risk of starting a pandemic from accidental release.
ITA. I think it’s appalling.

Risks and Benefits of Gain-of-Function Experiments with Pathogens of Pandemic Potential, Such as Influenza Virus: a Call for a Science-Based Discussion

THE RISK-BENEFIT CONUNDRUM

Proponents of continued GOF experiments emphasize the benefit and downplay or even deny the risk, while opponents do the converse. Since both risk and benefit involve quantitative assessments, in this case with limited information, the debate is fueled by the reality that weighing risks and benefits involves judgment calls. The risks fall into two general categories that are separate but related: namely, biosecurity and biosafety. Biosecurity risk is the likelihood that someone would use products or information gained from GOF experiments that led to a more pathogenic virus to carry out intentional damage in the form of bioterrorism. Biosafety risk is the likelihood of accidental escape that could trigger an outbreak and epidemic.

Risks and Benefits of Gain-of-Function Experiments with Pathogens of Pandemic Potential, Such as Influenza Virus: a Call for a Science-Based Discussion

As said earlier..learning much too much about g-o-f today!! And I have only read a bit of this "little missive"... however, it does bring up some questions that I hope others might have answers to.

It appears to have been written in 2014, so was this likely one of the documents that lead to banning g-o-f in 2014???

The authors have a disclaimer saying only their opinions as they are no longer members of the NSABB, which seems to be the organization that came out in favor of restarting g-o-f in 2017.

So, obviously a real contentious issue, internationally. And I can now see better how dangerously g-o-f is considered.

But does NSABB really have oversight over labs, such as the one in Wuhan?
Have they been one of the organizations that has specifically researched and determined that there was NO lab escape in the lab in Wuhan?
Are their renewed efforts for the US and other countries to ban g-o-f again?

TY for this article. It would be useful to know but I will have to reread this several times as it hasn't gone in the first time. :)

Ok ETA this first bit seems mighty significant to me.

Some of the nation’s leading public health experts are raising a new concern in the endless debate over coronavirus testing in the United States: The standard tests are diagnosing huge numbers of people who may be carrying relatively insignificant am...

And this bit -

In three sets of testing data that include cycle thresholds, compiled by officials in Massachusetts, New York and Nevada, up to 90% of people testing positive carried barely any virus, a review by The New York Times found.

Read more at: Standard Covid-19 tests may not give actual scale of infection in patients

All of this is good nformation, but mind boggling--how can we trust any of these
tests?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member