Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #83

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
More and more of my local non-chain restaurants are appearing on Doordash. I order exclusively from the locals and delivery is free because I have Dash Pass. It's a win for the restaurant, the dasher, and me, who hates to cook.
I keep checking, one was added last week which was exciting!
I’m so tired of cooking.

Did you attend Mecktoberfest? Health department wants you to get tested for COVID-19

“Video posted on Instagram from the second day of Mecktoberfest shows dozens of people singing and dancing -- with just one person wearing a mask. People can be seen closer than six feet from each other and others are walking around without masks.

Olde Mecklenburg Brewery wouldn’t take Channel 9′s questions on Wednesday about how it ran the event but sent the following statement:

“OMB has always and will continue to work diligently to ensure that we comply with and adhere to all county, state and national health regulations and recommendations. It is also perhaps the easiest place in town to enjoy a beer or a meal with friends while social distancing. If you are not sure and would like to see what a safe and enjoyable place OMB is we encourage you to visit and see for yourself.”

Sure, looks very safe. Lots of masks and social distancing. NOPE!

#mecktoberfest Instagram posts - Gramho.com

McDonald’s, Chipotle and Domino’s Are Booming During Coronavirus While Your Neighborhood Restaurant Struggles

“The coronavirus pandemic is splitting the restaurant industry in two. Big, well capitalized chains like Chipotle Mexican GrillInc. and Domino’s Pizza Inc. are gaining customers and adding stores while tens of thousands of local eateries go bust.”

49-Unit IHOP Franchisee Files for Bankruptcy | FSR magazine

“A franchisee operating 49 IHOP units filed for bankruptcy May 6, citing the COVID-19 pandemic as the primary issue.

CFRA Holdings and its affiliates CFRA LLC and CFRA Tri-Cities LLC operate stores in South Carolina, North Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia. The group is based in Pinellas County, Florida.”
———
Local restaurants are struggling, I don’t do but one since the others are further away and the food is cold by time I get back to the house. I would consider an outdoor sitting restaurant environment but very few masks and no social distancing rule that out. It’s disappointing because I miss it.

Any parks near the others?

Iowa news today: As of 10:00-11:00 a.m., we had 1,315 new confirmed cases for a total of 98,356 confirmed cases of which 75,935 had recovered (+894). 21 more were reported to have passed for a total of 1,454. Hospitalization was 450 which is down from 461 yesterday. 61 were hospitalized in the last 24 hours. There are 22,421 active cases. Oct. 10: 1,315 new cases, 894 recoveries, and 21 deaths
Iowa COVID-19 Information
Des Moines visit among President Trump's post-COVID-19 campaign events
Mercy Iowa City’s ‘Panther Fusion’ machine hopes to deliver widespread, faster Coronavirus testing
ISU to begin random asymtomatic testing for COVID-19
New Dubuque County COVID-19 data shows higher infection rates in rural areas
Metro Hospitals Prepare for Potential Second Surge in COVID-19 Cases | who13.com

For the first time since mid-August, the U.S. has recorded its third consecutive day of more than 50,000 new COVID-19 cases as forecasters predict a death total as high as 233,000 by the end of the month.

At least 57,420 new infections were reported across the country on Friday, bringing the total U.S. infections to over 7.6 million as of Saturday, according to data collected by Johns Hopkins University. There were 56,191 new cases Thursday and 50,341 reported on Wednesday.

Meanwhile, a forecast by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention that combines data from nearly 40 independent models predicts U.S. deaths from COVID-19 could hit 233,000 by the end of the month. To date, over 213,800 people have died from COVID-19 in the U.S., according to Johns Hopkins.

"This week's national ensemble forecast indicates an uncertain trend in new COVID-19 deaths reported over the next four weeks and predicts that 2,800 to 6,800 new deaths will likely be reported during the week ending October 31," the CDC said on its website Thursday.

US reports more than 50K COVID-19 cases for third straight day; 9 states set record

'We are all deeply afraid that this is the beginning of that dreaded second wave,' says emergency room doctor

Emergency physicians across the US are beginning to see an uptick in severe coronavirus cases, prompting fears that the second wave of the virus is coming, according to Dr. Megan Ranney, an emergency medicine physician with Brown University in Rhode Island.

"We are all seeing increasing numbers of Covid-19 patients who are coming into our ER's, who are getting really sick, requiring hospitalization and even intensive care," Ranney told CNN’s Erica Hill.

She noted the spike in cases which occurred among younger people about a month ago is now spreading within communities.

Ranney emphasized that there is still no cure for the virus.

"We're quite fearful for what we are heading into," she said.

I know of one park nearby, I need to drive over beforehand and check the wheelchair access to the picnic tables. I think there is a covered area too. The soccer team uses the field there so I need to see if there is a schedule online.

Here's another thought. I do a lot of festivals and Farmer's Markets normally. I just leave my folding 6 ft tables in my SUV. Add a couple of folding camp chairs and I'm a mobile picnic unit. Maybe you could throw a card table in your vehicle. Set it up where a wheelchair can access? I'd like to qualify this with a disclaimer. I don't know for sure if you are in the wheelchair or someone else. Jmo

Here's another thought. I do a lot of festivals and Farmer's Markets normally. I just leave my folding 6 ft tables in my SUV. Add a couple of folding camp chairs and I'm a mobile picnic unit. Maybe you could throw a card table in your vehicle. Set it up where a wheelchair can access? I'd like to qualify this with a disclaimer. I don't know for sure if you are in the wheelchair or someone else. Jmo

The problem for me, now is winter weather. Just not warm enough to sit outside, especially for older folks.

It is going to be a long winter.

NFL to penalize talking to refs without a mask

Any coach who approaches a referee without wearing a proper face covering now can be slapped with a 15-yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.

A memo sent to teams Friday from Perry Fewell, the NFL’s senior vice president of officiating administration, authorizes officials to throw the flags. It is a response to complaints from the NFL Referees Association about coaches and other sideline personnel pulling down their masks to yell at officials from close range.

@CoverMeCagney, I found it fabulous, and had no idea, that y'all were doing the same math/science levels to rate for LOCAL levels to change that to my understanding, only the State of New York /Cuomo has said for about 6 months. It was all science based/math and depended exactly on WHO /other science said to do. Test, trace, isolate, focus on the hot spots as priority and target specific mitigations accordingly. Logical isn't it!

Does anyone know if any other states in the US are doing what UK and New York state are doing?

@SouthAussie, is that how you guys are doing also?

Yes, this is exactly how we have been doing it.
Stamping out the virus in the hotspots stops it spreading any further.

Often it is only people who have been to certain (infected) venues who are required to go for testing. But this hotspot isolation is what the ringfencing of the whole city of Melbourne has been all about. Isolation, testing and tracing.

I actually saw someone in the US try to do similar just recently (can't remember where). They were calling for all people who had been travelling on a train on certain days and times to come and get tested - because a staff member was positive. So maybe the (successful) idea is catching on in the US.

It does take compliance from the population to do this. When leaders and health officials encourage it, it is successful. IMO

Last edited:
That's fine. I'm just pointing out that many countries who have different leaders are having similar problems.

I think that it's food for thought. JMO

The other food for thought is leadership style. Some (many?) have used a similar covid leadership style as in the US. Which has led to widespread covid cases and deaths. IMO
With these leaders also putting themselves in the path of covid infection.
The "tough love" approach seems to have been working better to keep death rates down - so far, anyway.

Mr. Johnson, 56, who in the early part of the pandemic resisted a lockdown and social-distancing measures, contracted the virus in March.

Like Mr. Trump, Mr. Bolsonaro was cavalier about the coronavirus, calling it a “measly cold.”

Mr. Hernández, 51, tested positive in June along with his wife and two aides, and was treated for pneumonia. He initially vowed to keep working as he displayed mild symptoms, but his health quickly worsened.

Mr. Pashinyan, 45, went into self-isolation in June after he and close family members tested positive for the coronavirus. The Armenian authorities eased a weekslong lockdown in May but acknowledged that they had failed to enforce the measures thoroughly and that there had been widespread quarantine violations.

Leaders Who Caught Virus: Boris Johnson, Jair Bolsonaro and Now Trump
(Signing up for a free account will give access to this article.)

Last edited:
I closely looked at the image of the crowd that's posted in the link. I don't see anyone not wearing a mask.

I noticed they've now replaced the wording of the headline from ''Few masks seen'', to
Some attendees skip masks

May I suggest you go online, put in Trump Balcony Rally, then click images at the top. Scroll. You will see no masks.

Last edited:
As a choir singer, I was interested to hear during a recent Zoom call that among the sounds in English that can propel virus the greatest distance from the mouth when singing are words ending in "th" (like with) or an "ff" sound (like puff, cough, laugh). I think there were others but those are the ones I recall at the moment. I should look to see if there is a link for this info.
@musicaljoke -- do you know?

MOO

It certainly is possible that specific vocal sounds emit more particles than others. The volume of a singer or speaker is also very significant. The louder one speaks or sings, the more particles are emitted.

Aerosol emission and superemission during human speech increase with voice loudness | Scientific Reports

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/15459620590918466

Will choirs survive this pandemic?

As health officials in Florida reported nearly 3,000 new cases of coronavirus on Friday, the state is bracing to become "like a house on fire," an infectious disease expert says.

"What they've done is opened up everything as if nothing had ever happened there and you and I could be talking probably in eight to 10 weeks, and I will likely bet that Florida will be a house on fire," Osterholm told CNN's Jake Tapper.

"Unfortunately, despite loudly voicing our concerns about a premature reopening of schools, we now find ourselves in complete fear and misery after only four days," Karla Hernandez-Mats, president of the district's teachers union, wrote in a statement on Thursday.

US Coronavirus: Florida will be 'like a house on fire' in weeks, infectious disease expert says - CNN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cav4queen