Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #87

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
[
1200x0.jpg

A typist wearing a mask to protect from the Spanish influenza in 1918. The great flu pandemics of history were first detected between late March and early July, not the midwinter flu season. Credit... PhotoQuest/Getty Images
12SCI-GLOBAL-articleLarge.jpg

A group of mask-wearing Californians during the flu pandemic of 1918. Photo: Niday Picture Library
spanish_flu_1918.jpg

One Oregon newspaper clip reads: "We appeal to your civil patriotism to co-operate with us in our effort to stamp out the Spanish Influenza or "Flu" Plague in Portland by wearing a mask."
1d5ca6c25a524c8ca078853d35d35a91.jpg

When Mask-Wearing Rules in the 1918 Pandemic Faced Resistance
Most people complied, but some resisted (or poked holes in their masks to smoke).
  • Mask-wearing was enforced in the US during the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic, but many refused, citing the government mandates as threats to their civil liberties.
  • Men needed more convincing to wear masks than did women.
  • Men didn't practice proper personal hygiene and also thought wearing masks was too feminine, so public health officials set forth to rebrand personal hygiene as a display of red-blooded patriotism.
  • Men and boys were primarily depicted in public health advertisements and cartoons during the 1918 pandemic when the Spanish flu swept the US.
[/QUOTE]

We have so much more knowledge since 1918, but what good is it doing us as far as containing this virus (which by the way is in and of itself a more wicked virus than that of 1918---) that was a flu virus- it killed lots of people but if you survived it you probably didn't have the residual horrible complications that people have from this coronavirus. If we do not get this virus contained, it could kill more people than the 1918 flu in this country. The one thing our knowledge is giving us is a vaccine-this could be our saving grace- we shall see.
Our local sheriff announced he would not enforce any of our governors attempts to control the virus a few months ago, and is now publicly blaming the governor for the increased cases. :cool:
This!

When you know the virus is circling, why tempt fate?

You really have to wonder about
Yes, that too. We have a lot of anti-vaxxers, actually, more on the liberal side than the conservative side, but folks on both have been saying they won't take a vaccine. It's just one more thing we have to contend with.

I would be interested in taking the vaccine, but i want to make sure it is safe- so i would wait a little bit to see how people are reacting to it---

More at link
Charlie Baker, other governors to hold ‘emergency summit'
Gov. Charlie Baker and five other governors of northeastern states will meet this weekend to discuss possibly coordinating new restrictions to help curb COVID-19 spread as as a second wave of the coronavirus grips the region.

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced the “emergency summit” on Friday.

The summit will also include the governors of Connecticut, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Vermont.

Cuomo said the group will discuss possibly coordinating more regulationson bars, restaurants, bars, and gyms, as well as limits on gatherings and interstate travel.

Nine months in now? Headline of the year right here :rolleyes:
CDC: Wearing a Mask Could Keep You From Catching Virus

U.S. health officials are taking a new tack to encourage Americans to wear masks: They're emphasizing recent research that a mask protects the person who wears it.

Previously, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention advised people to wear masks because of evidence that it stops people who are infected with coronavirus — whether they know it or not — from spreading it to others.

But this week the CDC posted a new scientific brief discussing recent studies finding that a wearer gets some protection.

The agency's guidance didn't change. It continues to advise Americans to wear masks to stop the virus from spreading.

“But now we're saying here's another reason” to do it, said Dr. John Brooks, chief medical officer for the CDC's COVID-19 emergency response.

more at link;)

This!

When you know the virus is circling, why tempt fate?
Right! Some of us have to go to work, we all have to make necessary trips for supplies, groceries, etc. but why put yourself at risk when you don’t have to?

Cruises, movie theaters, and other recreational venues are too dangerous. No one NEEDS to go on a cruise right now. To use one of my mom’s words, “foolhardy.”

13 Places Doctors Won’t Go During the Coronavirus Pandemic

13 places Doctors won't go during a pandemic--
I think most of us know these places are risky but it is still good to have a reminder

3 things on the list I don't hear much about:

Public Restrooms
10 Ways Public Restrooms Could Change Forever

Banks
Should People Stop Using Cash in a Post-COVID-19 World?

So why is the dollar such a point of concern?

Likely because cash changes hands multiple times each day and cash is very difficult to sanitize. United States currency is 75 percent cotton and 25 percent linen and past studies on similar materials show there is a high potential for cash to hold the virus for days. While experts disagree somewhat on the specific level of risk, they all agree that cash could potentially spread COVID-19.

GettyImages-88622588.jpg

Bowling Alleys
COVID-19 in Tioga County: Possible exposure risk at bowling alley

From the shoes you rent to the bowling balls that you touch, there are tons of opportunities for transmission and it's hard for these places to clean in between guests and to really decontaminate.

13 Places Doctors Won’t Go During the Coronavirus Pandemic

13 places Doctors won't go during a pandemic--
I think most of us know these places are risky but it is still good to have a reminder

I like what the article says about “other, safer options.” That is what we ask ourselves about everything we do. Is there a safer option? So carry out instead of dine-in, Netflix instead of movie theaters or concerts, grocery pick up instead of shopping in the store, treadmill at home instead of going to the gym, etc.

Movie theaters

These land on Dr. Cate’s no-go list for the same reason as many other places: You’re inside, in close proximity to others, and there are a ton of surfaces you can come in contact with, from the concession stand to the armrests. Plus, you’ve got other, safer options for entertainment, from streaming services (which have begun to release some current box office movies) and drive-in theaters.

3 things on the list I don't hear much about:

Public Restrooms
10 Ways Public Restrooms Could Change Forever

Banks
Should People Stop Using Cash in a Post-COVID-19 World?

So why is the dollar such a point of concern?

Likely because cash changes hands multiple times each day and cash is very difficult to sanitize. United States currency is 75 percent cotton and 25 percent linen and past studies on similar materials show there is a high potential for cash to hold the virus for days. While experts disagree somewhat on the specific level of risk, they all agree that cash could potentially spread COVID-19.

GettyImages-88622588.jpg

Bowling Alleys
COVID-19 in Tioga County: Possible exposure risk at bowling alley

From the shoes you rent to the bowling balls that you touch, there are tons of opportunities for transmission and it's hard for these places to clean in between guests and to really decontaminate.

I noticed that hair salons are not on that list so I am assuming it has been determined that hair salons are not a vector for the virus-----that is good news---- I think if hair salons can be much less a risk if everyone is masked, there are partitions between clients, that the salon only has a few people in at one time and the salon is sanitized.

Re: the California advisory.
alert...rant.

My brother lives in Hawaii, Big Island. He lives in a bubble and is mostly outside. Though he's not calling Covid 19 a hoax or anything, he just doesn't get it.

He and his wife are arriving here next week, and going to travel from SD to SF area, visiting his wife's relatives, friends for Thanksgiving etc.
And he wants to come over to my place too. He suggested we all go to the local Red Onion for a meal.
No way....I told him he can come over, but they are wearing a mask, and we eat outside, no hugs, no touching, and staying 6 ft apart....outside in the back only. We are both over 65. He complained....with his usual "chill out"

I've been quarantining and super cautious since March, and I'll be damned if I'm going to risk things.
He said he's negative (took a test yesterday..the rapid kind), so he's safe...but doesn't consider two airports ( especially busy LAX) and the 5 hour flight, and the traveling up and down the coast staying in motels etc.
A couple of weeks ago, he said, yeah we are being careful...there are now, yikes, TEN cases on Big Island. 10. (Actually it's more like 1400 total....90 some in Kona where he lives)
We have over a million now in CA.....I sent him the link of latest advisory, but he's ignoring it.

Meanwhile my daughter who is a front line nurse on the east coast, cancelled her trip here for December today. I haven't seen her for over a year.

How do you deal with family members who don't get it? And I don't want them to get sick either. How can we control this thing if people just won't take this seriously, and many who won't even comply?
As sad as it is, we made it clear up front a couple of weeks ago that we would not be attending or hosting any visitors this holiday season.

It's supposed to clean 456 cubic feet per hour. I'm hoping by placing them within 16 inches from the doors they'll catch and kill possible viruses before they could circulate throughout the house.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OLBR0H0/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

About this item
  • Pluggable air sanitizer: Provides cleaner air and helps reduce airborne germs and reduce household odors caused by bacteria, pets, and cooking fumes
  • Compact design: This 7 inch wall pluggable sanitizer is perfect for the kitchen, litter box room, bathroom, or children’s room
  • Reduces odors: Reduce unwanted odors from pets, smoke, cooking fumes, and more
  • Kills germs: UV-C light helps kill airborne viruses such as influenza, staph, rhinovirus, and works with Titanium Dioxide to reduce volatile organic compounds

THANKS!!

This is the nature of this disease..... we are trying to build the plane, while it has already gone down the runway.

This is why I am more pessimistic about these therapies and vaccines too. I just do not believe we know enough yet to develop the best therapies and vaccines.

Don't get me wrong, the international speed of development is "hopeful" to say the least..... but I really believe we just do not know what we don't know... yet.

In an international study in Science, 10 percent of nearly 1,000 Covid-19 patients who developed life-threatening pneumonia had antibodies that disable key immune system proteins called interferons. These antibodies — known as autoantibodies, because they attack the body itself — weren't found at all in 663 people with mild or asymptomatic Covid-19 infections.

new word for 2021: "autoamtibodies"

Fri, November 13, 2020, 6:08 PM EST

Parents Tried to Cover Up a ‘Superspreader’ Dance. Disaster Ensued.
01b5d3cc7948c295fd73e3223d09f7dd

stupid
[ˈst(y)o͞opəd]
ADJECTIVE
  1. having or showing a great lack of intelligence or common sense.
    "I was stupid enough to think I could sponsor a dance in a pandemic."
    synonyms:
    :eek: unintelligent · ignorant · dense · brainless · mindless ·
    fool · nincompoop · dunce · dullard · ignoramus · idiot · :rolleyes:
(I think this sums it up well ... not more virus now, more stupidness)

We are destroying our medical community.
Maybe they should just throw in the towel--- because people across this country are so despicable as to slowly but steadily burn them out and kill them.
Oh, right... the medical professionals keep on working........

This is evil individualism at work... screw that.... people are dying.
It is going to have to come down to fines and punishment........ since fairness, empathy and cooperation are doing nothing....

I noticed that hair salons are not on that list so I am assuming it has been determined that hair salons are not a vector for the virus-----that is good news---- I think if hair salons can be much less a risk if everyone is masked, there are partitions between clients, that the salon only has a few people in at one time and the salon is sanitized.

Actually, I always thought hair salons could make it work.... plastic partitions are now quite common...and masks and gloves.
And it lends to more confidential conversations between stylist and client!!

Dr. Seheult has been AWOL due to workload with increasing COVID patients. He's planning to cover many vaccines - the first one he's overviewing is the Pfizer Vaccine.

EXCELLENT Video!!!!!!!!!!I feel that everyone should keep and re-watch this video!! Dr. Seheult is such a good teacher for those of us with low scientific knowledge........ so keeping up with him as we learn more and more about the various vaccines... will be so helpful.

He will help me understand more about how the vaccines DO actually stack up against one another...

The 1000+ comments after the video are interesting as well.............

Last edited:
If they won’t wear a mask to run into the grocery store for a few items wonder if they are going to wear a mask for their two hour color at the hair salon.

The salons need the money so they wear masks but they’re not enforcing the customers to wear masks. Just like the grocery stores. The police won’t respond and workers are afraid to confront the non mask wearers.

As sad as it is, we made it clear up front a couple of weeks ago that we would not be attending or hosting any visitors this holiday season.

I made clear long ago.. yet
  1. today a good friend is getting married out of state with 150 guests from all over the country. Declined.
  2. In the past week was asked to a Christmas party that usually had over 100 guests. Declined.
  3. Friend asked over for local dining for 2 folks birthday...30 folks. Declined.
  4. Sibling asked me down to T'giving, declined.

SHDM. SHDH.

10 Signs a Store Isn’t Protecting Against Coronavirus

1.) Too many people in one place
You can see alot of stores have X's or ^ arrows ^ taped on the floor near the checkout to keep shoppers 6 ft apart. I simply try to shop when it's least crowed. You can go on-line to see when stores have their busiest hours or even call and ask.

2.) Mask wearing not enforced
Many stores are now posting signs on their doors requiring masks and some even provide disposable masks to customers who enter without them but alot of safety in stores comes down to customers because there's only so much stores can do if a customer refuses to keep their mask on :eek: note the physical fights and even gun violence over this, plus "trash talking" the store in on-line reviews.

3.) Poor ventilation
I'm not sure how to tell how good a store's ventilation is?

4.) Dirty surfaces
Something I never see mentioned are those long plastic dividers that shoppers use to separate their
groceries from other shopper's groceries. I have never seen them get cleaned and even before covid I used hand sanitizer after touching them.

5.) Checkout fails
Here's the right way to check out and I personally recommend self-checkout: Whole Foods Just Ranked #1 for COVID-19 Safety Measures

6.) Mishandling merchandise
The National Retail Federation (NRF) encourages its members to disinfect returned items wearing gloves and masks. Fitting rooms should have policies for sanitizing the rooms between customers, as well as sanitizing clothes, jewelry, eyeglasses etc.. that have been tried on. How would they sanitize the clothes??? And there shouldn't be food samples or perfume and makeup lying around that customers can "test".

7.) Allowing reusable bags

A
2010 study at the University of Arizona found bacteria in 99 percent of reusable bags and found that 97 percent of people did not ever wash their tote bags.

8.) Congested seating areas
If a store has a waiting area or cafe, any tables and chairs should be spaced at least six feet apart to ensure proper social distancing and to minimize cross-contamination. If that’s not possible, temporary dividers should be installed.

9.) Business hours as usual

The National Retail Federation (NRF) recommends reserving early hours for high risk individuals to shop before crowds arrive. Consumer Reports lists early morning trips among its top ways to
avoid germs when grocery shopping. If a store doesn’t offer this ask why? Another thing I've seen are some 24 hour stores now closing for part of the night for cleaning and sanitizing and for re-stocking scarce products they run out of because of panic buying...tsk...tsk........

10.) No shopping alternatives
Retailers that are prioritizing customer health and safety are providing options besides in-store shopping. Many now offer online ordering with curbside pickup or home delivery.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members