Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #87

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
(For others, skip the first 22:30 mins because it is just the camera waiting for someone to show up and speak.)

Good to hear they are continuing on the same mission they have been on all year ... which is to "save American lives".

VP Pence:
"We slowed the spread, we flattened the curve, we saved lives."
"As we see cases rising, we know the American people know what to do."
"We have worked 7 days a week, all through this year, to make sure the American people have access to the care that we would want any member of our family to have."
"Effective therapies are already available, they are widely known among the American people."
"America has never been more prepared to combat this virus than we are today."
Meanwhile, in the U.S. in which actual, real people live and die, we have surpassed 2,000 deaths in a day for the first time since May 7, and we have surpassed November 13th's previous high record and have over 188,500 new cases today. So far.

United States Coronavirus: 12,067,785 Cases and 258,297 Deaths - Worldometer

Sanford Health CEO: I got COVID-19, so I don't have to wear a mask as a 'symbolic gesture' | Grand Forks Herald

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. — The president and CEO of one of the nation's largest non-profit health systems says he won't be wearing a mask at work because he's recovered from COVID-19, and doing so would only be a "symbolic gesture" because he considers himself immune from the virus.
This makes me think about the proposed vaccines. They seem to be 95% effective but can the vaccinated patient spread the disease? (The drug companies acknowledge that they don't yet know). This seems to be a continuation of the recent theme that I call "who's selfish now?"

Last edited:
This is almost exactly what I do. I am pretty proud of myself for not touching my face (I wash hands about every 3-5 minutes - my watch finally has a key function in my life).

I believe that the science shows that surface transmission is extremely unlikely. I would have to give up every hope of ever venturing out of my house if I thought surface transmission were a big thing. Washing hands is important, though.

I've read lots of studies and watched lots of experimental evidence in real time - I'm convinced that surface transmission for this virus only affects the very vulnerable. Personally, I've always believed that unless a person has an actual immune disorder (or is over 85) that total isolation from microbes is also not healthy.

I think if I lived with someone immune-compromised or older than 80, my views would be different. My husband is more careful than I am, but we both kind of supervise the other.

This is such a good cautionary story. Isn't it crazy? That at this point in time, people don't realize that even if their kid is asymptomatic (or "barely sick," as I so often hear), it's NOT OKAY to send them out into the world if they are POSITIVE FOR COVID. Yes, I'm yelling.

What are we supposed to do with this set of behaviors? How can schools cope? Rapid tests for every kid, every day seem to be the only answer - or widespread acceptance of a vaccine. Oof. Well, I hope everyone here is convinced (and can convinced their loved ones) that vaccines (go Moderna!) are the key to public health.

In March, concerned about everything, I washed all the grocery items with soap and water- quickly but thoroughly- soap, water, a paper towel. If soap would clean my hands, I assumed it would do something for the packages. Then the incidence of COVID in my area was so small that I got less concerned. I also used to put packages aside for several days. Now with all the transmission rising, I am getting concerned again. If there is little COVID around, not so much virus, but once lots of people get it, maybe more and more virus on surfaces. I keep getting flash backs of the Wuhanese spraying their side walks, signs, benches, subways, with disinfectant. : (

W.H.O. Rejects Antiviral Drug Remdesivir as a Covid Treatment

In a review of several trials, the World Health Organization found that Gilead’s....

Additionally:

WHO advises against Gilead's remdesivir for all hospitalised COVID-19 patients

WHO tells doctors not to use Gilead's remdesivir as a coronavirus treatment, splitting with FDA

WHO advisers recommend against Gilead’s remdesivir for treating COVID-19

WHO advises against Gilead's remdesivir for all hospitalised COVID-19 patients

WHO Advises Doctors Not to Use Gilead’s Remdesivir for Covid

WSJ / WHO Recommends Against Use of Gilead Covid-19 Drug Remdesivir
Agency says there isn’t evidence the antiviral reduces deaths or recovery times of coronavirus patients

FDA Grants EUA to Combination of Olumiant and Remdesivir in Hospitalized COVID-19 Patients | BioSpace
(Not familiar with this source)

Additional Reference:

1 month ago
Massive WHO remdesivir study suggests no Covid-19 benefit. Doctors aren't so sure.

1 month ago

FDA approves Gilead's remdesivir as coronavirus treatment
Oct. 22

Remdesivir has ‘little or no effect’ in reducing coronavirus deaths, WHO says
Oct. 16

Oct.8
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2007764

Gilead CEO: We're studying new ways to treat coronavirus with remdesivir outside of the hospital
Sept. 14

Gilead says remdesivir coronavirus treatment reduces risk of death in severely sick patients
July 10, 2020

CONCLUSIONS
Our data show that remdesivir was superior to placebo in shortening the time to recovery in adults who were hospitalized with Covid-19 and had evidence of lower respiratory tract infection. (Funded by the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and others; ACTT-1 ClinicalTrials.gov number, NCT04280705

Remdesivir: the antiviral drug is being touted as a possible coronavirus treatment – but will it work?
April 30, 2020

Remdesivir: don't use drug Trump took for Covid-19, WHO says

Subscribe to read | Financial Times

US secures world stock of key Covid-19 drug remdesivir
June 30, 2020

After WHO trial failure, influential medical group advises against Gilead's remdesivir in COVID-19 critical care: Reuters
Nov 13

‘A very, very bad look’ for remdesivir
Nov 6

Russian firm seeks to produce COVID-19 drug remdesivir without patent
Nov 2

Remdesivir, which WHO found has little or no effect in reducing coronavirus deaths, shows mixed results in Nepal
2 weeks ago

Clinical Trials In North Texas Underway On An Inhaled Version Of Remdesivir For COVID-19 Treatment
Oct 26

Oct. 22
FDA Approves First Treatment for COVID-19

Oct 22
Remdesivir Doesn’t Reduce COVID-19 Deaths, a Large WHO Trial Finds

Should the FDA Have Approved Remdesivir to Treat COVID-19 Patients?
3 weeks ago

3 weeks ago / Dr. Gottlieb / FDA:
https://youtu.be/V9eAxiBNohY

Remdesivir for COVID-19: Where Does It Stand?
https://www.clinicaloncology.com/CO...sivir-for-COVID-19-Where-Does-It-Stand-/61135
Nov. 9, 2020

Differences in remdesivir efficacy likely due to trial variances, not drug
2 weeks ago

4 weeks ago

1 month ago

FDA Issues EUA for Remdesivir After Trio of Studies
May 1

Remdesivir: FDA will reportedly authorize use for Covid-19 after trial shows 'positive effect' on recovery time - CNN
April 30, 2020

Last edited:
This makes me think about the proposed vaccines. They seem to be 95% effective but can the vaccinated patient spread the disease? (The drug companies acknowledge that they don't yet know). This seems to be a continuation of the recent theme that I call "who's selfish now?"

I am no medical professional, but presumably the vaccine stops the process of the virus getting into your cells and replicating- making you into a little traveling virus factory. not sure how quickly this happens, but if it isn't pretty quickly, you would be getting sick, IMHO. Apparently the vaccine does not work for about 4-5% of people and we find who those 4-5% are after they get sick.... so even with a vaccine, and universal vaccination (which we will not achieve) everyone is not safe.

In a review of several trials, the World Health Organization found that Gilead’s....

From dixie's link:

An expert panel “concluded that remdesivir has no meaningful effect on mortality or on other important outcomes for patients, such as the need for mechanical ventilation or time to clinical improvement,” the W.H.O. announced. The panel published its review in the journal The BMJ. The report did not rule out the use of the drug altogether as a Covid treatment, but said evidence was lacking to recommend its use.

For the new analysis, the panel reviewed evidence from four trials, including one conducted by the N.I.H. and another sponsored by the W.H.O. and recently posted to a preprint server, which included some 5,000 patients, the largest to date.

The results from that trial “brought into question some of the benefit that had been seen earlier, in the N.I.H. study,” said Dr. Bram Rochwerg, an associate professor of medicine at McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario, and a co-chair of the W.H.O. panel.

Dr. Rochwerg said that the panel “made explicit in the document that trials of remdesivir should continue, and there may be specific populations that could benefit.”

This is the review that was published in the British Medical Journal, for those who are interested:
http://press.psprings.co.uk/bmj/november/remdesivir.pdf

Last edited:
Housing and Urban Development Secretary Ben Carson, a world-renowned pioneer in the field of neurosurgery, said he took a potentially toxic, FDA-rejected therapeutic extract at the recommendation of the CEO of MyPillow to cure himself of the coronavirus. According to The Washington Post, Carson said he took oleandrin—an extract of the oleander plant—after hearing about it from Mike Lindell...

Ben Carson Claims a Potentially Toxic Plant Extract Touted by the MyPillow Guy Cured His COVID-19

wow.... was he a practicing neurosurgeon or a researcher? have always wondered about that. you can die from oleander ....

wow.... was he a practicing neurosurgeon or a researcher? have always wondered about that. you can die from oleander ....

Which goes back to my issue with doctors and Covid. They didn't know what to prescribe, so they did not prescribe anything. People, even a doctor like Dr. Ben Carson, was reduced to trying homeopathic remedies.

At least he didn't drink any bleach. o_O

Meanwhile, in the U.S. in which actual, real people live and die, we have surpassed 2,000 deaths in a day for the first time since May 7, and we have surpassed November 13th's previous high record and have over 188,500 new cases today. So far.

United States Coronavirus: 12,067,785 Cases and 258,297 Deaths - Worldometer

"The White House briefing offered a stark reminder of the toll the pandemic has taken on the nation and of the vast disconnect between Mr. Trump and Mr. Pence and the federal health officials who advise them. Even as Dr. Birx implored Americans to wear masks — and stood at the lectern wearing one as she spoke — Mr. Pence greeted reporters with his face uncovered."

"One of the vaccine developers, Moderna, has said it will have 20 million doses ready by the end of 2020; the other, Pfizer, said it would have about 50 million by then — half for Americans. Both vaccines require two shots, so 20 million doses would be enough for 10 million people."

Covid-19 Live Updates: A Bright-Red Map and a Dire Warning as the Coronavirus Task Meets at the White House

The U.S. population today, at the start of 2020, numbers just over 331 million people.
3 ways that the U.S. population will change over the next decade.

Thanks for posting, I have been waiting for more definitive reports on this, and this is something that I have been saying from the beginning. As I’ve mentioned previously, it was apparent to me that this was happening, especially during lockdowns when people were still getting infected, despite working from home, etc. Some of these people, the only place they were going was the grocery store. To each his own, but this is why I have only done grocery delivery since March. There have been infinite outbreaks at grocery stores as well, some of which I’ve posted.

I’ve noticed many people in my circle don’t do grocery delivery, especially some who are elderly, because they may not be tech savvy and may feel intimidated, impatient, and/or may find it mildly inconvenient to have to schedule a time or not get exactly all the items they want all the time.

I have read some reports about people not respecting distancing in grocery stores, not wearing masks, etc.

To those who haven’t hopped on the grocery delivery chain yet, now is the time. If anyone needs help getting started, please message me bc I can very confidently call myself an expert in this regard and can help offer many tips to make the process easier.

To me it comes down to this - it is simply not worth the risk, especially when you have a clear way to avoid it via delivery. There are many grocery outlets which now deliver, and one can even have dry goods shipped directly via Kroger, Target, etc., and even some of the manufacturers themselves. Yes, it does require time and patience.

I have a whole system once the items arrive, which if I were to describe may sound overboard to some, but that’s fine because I have peace of mind and am not taking any chances.

the way this is worded- does the English study include grocery store workers in the number who got COVID there? I do think that while customers are "in and out,"
the workers are there all shift, all week.

Last edited:
https://www.npr.org/2020/11/19/936248527/covid-19-denial-still-rampant-in-some-virus-hotspots
COVID-19 Denial Still Rampant In Some Virus Hotspots

Signs posted at the entrance to the grocery store in northwest Montana told customers to wear a mask. Public health officials in Flathead County urged the same. Infection rates here are among the highest in the state. Infection rates in the state are among the highest in the country.

And still, Craig Mann, walked out of the grocery store, past the signs and toward his truck, maskless and resolute.

The pandemic everyone's talking about?

"It's absolute garbage," he said. "There has been plenty of proof that the coronavirus 'pandemic,' if you will, links back to Communist China. It's communist Marxism that they're trying to push on this country."

As healthcare professionals grapple with soaring numbers of COVID-19 sickened people around the country, they're also combatting another quick-spreading and frustrating contagion: misinformation.

[snip]

"These conspiracy theorists and these groups who are against [masks] have been so vocal on social media that at some point, it starts to resonate with people and starts to have as big of a voice as the medical community - if not more," said Anita Kisseé, the public relations manager for St. Luke's, the largest hospital network in Idaho, where coronavirus cases are also surging.

[More at link.]

St. Luke's.... the Magic Valley. Remember when everyone said: "who would ever hire Krystal Kenney to work as a nurse again?" I think of that daily now.

Well ... here you go.

We are coming out of lockdown in a little more than 24 hours (with various restrictions still in place). Three days ahead of schedule.

Mr Pizza Box lied.

The man, who worked at the Stamford medi-hotel, told authorities he contracted coronavirus after purchasing a pizza, but it has been revealed that he was actually working at the pizza shop — increasing his exposure to the virus.
"One of the close contacts linked to the Woodville Pizza Bar deliberately misled the contact tracing team," Mr Marshall said.
"We know now that they lied. To say that I'm fuming is an understatement, we're absolutely livid about the actions of this individual.
"However, this lie still means that our contact tracers need breathing space to contact people, but not for as long."

South Australia will end its hard lockdown on Saturday night — three days early

Mr Pizza Box was working with the infected security guard who had a 2nd job at the pizza place. They both worked at the pizza place. He didn't catch the virus from a delivered pizza.

Last edited:

It's very unlikely that they can spread the disease, since they are unable to actual get the disease.

"Having COVID" means "having lungs without the power to fight off the disease." The vaccine will give immunity to COVID, such that the lungs do not harbor it.

I'm not at all in agreement, scientifically, with your apparent view that taking a vaccine is selfish. People who are vaccinated do not transmit diseases.

Surely we are all aware about measles, mumps, rubella, small pox, and other diseases against which vaccines work?

At any rate, if vaccines are 95 percent effective, that's better than masks or social distancing. And no, people who are vaccinated will not be getting COVID or transmitting COVID.

That's the whole point of a vaccine. It's not selfish. Please don't spread that idea.

Well ... here you go.

We are coming out of lockdown in a little more than 24 hours (with various restrictions still in place). Three days ahead of schedule.

Mr Pizza Box lied.

The man, who worked at the Stamford medi-hotel, told authorities he contracted coronavirus after purchasing a pizza, but it has been revealed that he was actually working at the pizza shop — increasing his exposure to the virus.
"One of the close contacts linked to the Woodville Pizza Bar deliberately misled the contact tracing team," Mr Marshall said.
"We know now that they lied. To say that I'm fuming is an understatement, we're absolutely livid about the actions of this individual.
"However, this lie still means that our contact tracers need breathing space to contact people, but not for as long."

South Australia will end its hard lockdown on Saturday night — three days early

Is it really a pizza bar?

ah... I can answer my own Q:
https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/heal...d-lockdown-restrictions-set-to-ease-c-1617751

yes and this has really riled up some folks. The pizza is innocent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hunter2_1