Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #88

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Legal situation unfolding in Colorado:

Mayor of Longmont wants to ban Weld County COVID-19 patients from using city's hospitals

“The mayor of Longmont does not want the city’s two hospitals to treat COVID-19 patients from Weld County or any other county that refuses to comply with state restrictions.“

[...]

“The mayor of the Boulder County city of Longmont drafted the proposed legislation in a letter to the city attorney and city manager on Tuesday. The letter is in response to Weld County Commissioners refusal to comply with Level Red restrictions placed upon the county by the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment.

CDPHE announced Thursday that Weld County was among several other counties that would be moved to Level Red on the state’s COVID-19 dial. As of Thursday, Weld County has a two-week cumulative incidence rate of 1063.12 of 100,000 people, a percent positivity of 16.6% and a two-week COVID-19 case count of 3,442.

On Friday, the Weld County Board of Commissioners said the county would not be enforcing the state's mandate, stating in part, “The state’s decision to move Weld County into the red portion of the dial does not change the stance of the Weld County Board of Commissioners with regard to enforcement of the state’s mandates. Instead, county government continues to do what it has done since March, which is promote and encourage residents and business owners to take individual responsibility and make decisions to protect themselves, their families, their community and their businesses.”

In the letter, Mayor Bagley states that “Longmont may face limited hospital capacity in the future as a result of Weld County’s refusal to comply with the governor’s emergency orders.”“

Longmont mayor wants hospitals to refuse COVID patients from places not enforcing restrictions

“The mayor of Longmont said he wants hospitals to refuse treatment to COVID-19 patients from places not enforcing the state’s restrictions aimed at slowing the spread of the coronavirus.

In a letter sent Tuesday, Mayor Brian Bagley directed the city manager and city attorney to prepare an ordinance that would make it illegal for any hospital or health care provider to treat a resident of a county or municipality where officials have refused to comply with Gov. Jared Polis’ emergency orders.

“Longmont must protect its hospitals so as to guarantee that they will be able to provide adequate medical treatment for its residents when needed, and not be pushed beyond their capacity,” Bagley wrote.“
——

Longmont mayor challenges Weld County's decision not to enforce state COVID restrictions | 9news.com

“The proposal ends with this wording:

"Whereas Longmont may face limited hospital capacity in the future as a result of Weld County’s refusal to comply with the governor’s emergency orders;

I direct the city manager and the city attorney to prepare an ordinance for first reading to be placed on the council agenda at our next regular session of city council. The ordinance shall state that: It shall be unlawful for any hospital (or healthcare provider) to provide medical services to any resident of a county or municipality wherein their elected officials have refused to comply with the governor’s emergency orders so long as there is a resident of a county or municipality that does comply with the governor’s emergency orders needing access to Longmont hospitals (or general healthcare services, medications, PPE equipment, etc.)."

"If we lack hospital space; beds, staff, medicine, PPE, we are going to treat those people residing in counties that do comply with the governor's orders," said Bagley.“

[...]

“Both are in "Level Red," according to Colorado's new color dial, which has the second-strictest restrictions, including closed dining rooms for all restaurants.

Weld County Commissioners and the Weld County Sheriff have said they won't enforce the state's restrictions.“

[...]

“In response to Bagley's proposal, the Weld County Commissioners released the following statement:

"This Longmont mayor has taken a page out of Gov. Polis’ playbook by going after working families and compromising the mental wellbeing of the people who live in his community. The answer to this pandemic is not solely to close down small businesses the week of Thanksgiving; it is not to continually punish working-class families or the individuals who bag your groceries, wait on you in restaurants, deliver food to your home while you watch Netflix and chill; and it is certainly not to illegally deny healthcare to residents. But that is what this simple Mayor wants to do.

Weld County’s statement about promoting personal responsibility and not enforcing mandates has been woefully misunderstood by those living in fear and wishing to be governed by intimidation. Weld County is not an “anything goes” county, it is a “make the best decisions for yourself and your business” county, because we trust our residents to do what is best for themselves, their families, their businesses and their community. If the mandates put in place months ago worked, why are the numbers going up all along the Front Range?

Mayor Bagley is looking for someone/something to blame. Hear this: Weld County is not the problem.

It’s very easy for Mayor Bagley to sit in his office, still collecting a paycheck, and release an edict that denies equal protection of the law to the very people who shop and work in Longmont, and whose children attend Longmont schools."“

Oh no. :(

“London's University Hospital continues to be battered by COVID-19 cases, with outbreaks being declared in three more units on Monday and the hospital cancelling admissions to all medical floors.

The Middlesex London Health Unit said one person has died, 16 staff and 18 patients are infected in the outbreak on the general medicine inpatient ward on the hospital's fourth floor.

That outbreak was declared Nov. 10 and is the first in a growing number of outbreaks revealed today.”

— Iirc, I may recall nosocomial transmission during SARS in Ontario, not sure, have to double check that.

eta: @LadyL :

SARS in Healthcare Facilities, Toronto and Taiwan

“The healthcare setting was important in the early spread of severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) in both Toronto and Taiwan. Healthcare workers, patients, and visitors were at increased risk for infection.”
-more at link

eta2:
CDC / 2003:
Update: Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome --- Toronto, Canada, 2003

“During February 23--June 7, the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care received reports of 361 SARS cases (suspect: 136 [38%]; probable: 225 [62%]) (Figure 1); as of June 7, a total of 33 (9%) persons had died. Of 74 cases reported during April 15--June 9 to Toronto Public Health, 29 (39%) occurred among HCWs, 28 (38%) occurred as a result of exposure during hospitalization, and 17 (23%) occurred among hospital visitors (Figure 2). Of the 74 cases, 67 (90%) resulted directly from exposure in hospital A, a 350-bed GTA community hospital.

The majority of cases were associated with a ward used primarily for orthopedic patients (14 rooms) and gynecology patients (seven rooms). Nursing staff members used a common nursing station, shared a washroom, and ate together in a lounge just outside the ward. SARS attack rates among nurses assigned routinely to the orthopedic and gynecology sections of the ward were approximately 40% and 25%, respectively.“
-more at link

Last edited:
Oh no. :(

“London's University Hospital continues to be battered by COVID-19 cases, with outbreaks being declared in three more units on Monday and the hospital cancelling admissions to all medical floors.

The Middlesex London Health Unit said one person has died, 16 staff and 18 patients are infected in the outbreak on the general medicine inpatient ward on the hospital's fourth floor.

That outbreak was declared Nov. 10 and is the first in a growing number of outbreaks revealed today.”

— Iirc, I may recall nosocomial transmission during SARS in Ontario, not sure, have to double check that.

eta:
SARS in Healthcare Facilities, Toronto and Taiwan

eta2:
CDC / 2003:
Update: Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome --- Toronto, Canada, 2003

I had to google nosocomial
during SARS I was actually working in this very same hospital
my employer didn't give any special training or PPE or advice or even actually acknowledgment
I quit

omg
this is another hospital I'm at frequently
this nurse deserves to lose her job IMO

A London, Ont., neonatal intensive care (NICU) nurse could be in trouble with her regulatory body after taking part in anti-mask and anti-lockdown rallies in the province and organizing one in Victoria Park over the weekend.

On Monday, the hospital said 19 staff members had tested positive for COVID-19, though the source of the spread is not known. An outbreak is ongoing on a medicine and an orthopedics ward at University Hospital.

The Registered Nurses Association of Ontario, however, said Nagle's actions are dangerous and has reported Nagle's anti-lockdown activities to the College of Nurses of Ontario, which regulates the profession.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/lond...bOYeTthzPHeY6sNEZoOQF7bCRjRTfKWX0iOwVeXzAy5A8

Last edited:
omg
this is another hospital I'm at frequently
this nurse deserves to lose her job IMO

On Monday, the hospital said 19 staff members had tested positive for COVID-19, though the source of the spread is not known. An outbreak is ongoing on a medicine and an orthopedics ward at University Hospital.

The Registered Nurses Association of Ontario, however, said Nagle's actions are dangerous and has reported Nagle's anti-lockdown activities to the College of Nurses of Ontario, which regulates the profession.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/lond...bOYeTthzPHeY6sNEZoOQF7bCRjRTfKWX0iOwVeXzAy5A8
:eek:

CDC ready for Biden transition: 'This is what we've been waiting for' - CNNPolitics
CDC ready for Biden transition: 'This is what we've been waiting for' - CNNPolitics

I bet they’re ready :D

I’m sure it has been beyond difficult, to put it mildly, being an established scientific agency that has been suppressed, sidelined, “handcuffed”, overpowered, overruled, denied, pressured, silenced...

CDC thread

Eta: From the above article:

“"This is what we've been waiting for is for them to send their landing team here and set up shop," a senior CDC official said Tuesday following the ascertainment declaration from the General Services Administration.“

[...]

“When asked if there was more enthusiasm among senior leaders at the CDC on Tuesday morning due to the start of the transition, the official said emphatically, "Yes!"“

Last edited:
Please clarify your comment @dixiegirl1035. To what answer are you referring? I’m not sure if you’re saying I shouldn’t have posted another article with more details or what. I wasn’t attempting to detract from the major focus of the original article or contradict anyone. I just like to get (and post) the entire story, rather than a possible click-bait headline. I think the fact that families can’t afford to retrieve their loved one’s body for burial is also important in the midst of this tragedy. Or did I miss something? :)
JMO

No, I missed something in that I did an ETA incorrectly.

I saw Gitana's post and replied.

Then a few posts later I saw that you had answered, so I did an ETA and merely inserted your post into my response also as you linked for Gitana what I was referring to.

It came out wierd as it appeared that my answer was commenting back to you. I should have changed my response to say... "oh, here is the information Gitana...Lilibet found it!" but I was lazy and didn't update that also when I found your info.

Sorry about that @Lilibet!

No, I missed something in that I did an ETA incorrectly.

I saw Gitana's post and replied.

Then a few posts later I saw that you had answered, so I did an ETA and merely inserted your post into my response also as you linked for Gitana what I was referring to.

It came out wierd as it appeared that my answer was commenting back to you. I should have changed my response to say... "oh, here is the information Gitana...Lilibet found it!" but I was lazy and didn't update that also when I found your info.

Sorry about that @Lilibet!

Oh those pesky edits. No worries. Thanks for explaining what happened so I know my brain is still sort of working. :D

WSJ News Exclusive | CDC Finalizing Recommendation to Shorten Covid-19 Quarantines

“The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention may soon shorten the length of time it recommends that a person self-quarantine after potential exposure to the coronavirus, hoping that such a step will encourage more people to comply, a top agency official said.

CDC officials are finalizing recommendations for a new quarantine period that would likely be between seven and 10 days and include a test to ensure a person is negative for Covid-19, said Henry Walke, the agency’s incident manager for Covid-19 response.”

How the hell is that possible? Are they homeless people? Where are their families?

I don't know if they're homeless, but the east coast metropolitan areas do have a fair number of people who die, whose families don't claim the bodies (it's expensive). We have that here on the West Coast too. The below article is older, but I don't think it has changed.

Coroner Launches Internet Site on Unclaimed Bodies

In my small hometown (20,000 people) there are 8-10 unclaimed bodies per year. Multiple that by...a lot (1000?)...to get to NY (which has way more people who moved there and have few contacts).

8000 bodies would be a lot. People die without family/friends involved or nearby. Of my 4 grandparents, one was unclaimed. His kids all knew roughly where he was, but didn't know the name he was living under, and he was buried by the county with no notice to relatives. Only reason we know where he's buried (and the name under which he was buried) is that his girlfriend put the little information she knew about him in his obituary. She knew his real name, but that's not what was on his death certificate (he died circa 1979).

I can easily see how hundreds of unclaimed bodies would stack up in a big city. Family is a thin construct when times are hard and people are migrating every which way.

Cooper Ratchets Up Mask Mandate In NC With New Executive Order

“Gov. Roy Cooper ratcheted up North Carolina's mask mandate Monday, calling for stricter enforcement of the state's existing face covering requirements and retail store occupancy limitations.

The news comes as the number of "red tier" counties experiencing critical levels of community spread of coronavirus doubled Monday. The number of known coronavirus cases in North Carolina rose by 2,419 cases Monday, and hospitalizations hit a new record high of 1,601 patients, according to North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services data.”

The new executive order, which goes into effect Wednesday, tightens the existing mask order and now requires masks be worn in any public indoor space, including:
  • In gyms when exercising.
  • In all restaurants, unless diners are actively eating or drinking.
  • In all schools, public or private.
  • On all public and private transportation.
Under the new executive order, local and state law enforcement, along with local health departments, can enforce the statewide mask mandate. Individuals and businesses who do not comply with the mask order could face a Class 2 misdemeanor penalty, which could lead to a fine of up to $1,000.

"You need to be wearing a mask when you're around anyone who is not in your household. That's the simple bottom line," said state health Secretary Mandy Cohen.”

Eight months in for a COVID-19 doctor: ‘Sadness, regret, betrayal’

“When you see a politician or leader declining to wear a cloth mask, a fabric mask, or complaining it’s too uncomfortable they can’t breathe, my instinct is to ask them to wear an N-95 for 12 hours straight.

There’s just such a level of disregard and betrayal for your front-line worker.”

President Elect Biden’s message to millions of Americans suffering with the pandemic and financial hardship: “It is a crisis that is causing real mental stress for millions of people, and it’s within our power to solve it and to grow the economy at the same time” / New records and new restrictions as millions ignore the travel warning and food banks have trouble keeping up /long testing lines / vaccine distribution / Biden: We need a “united voice” on masks, social distancing, testing, tracing / Biden discusses his focus on reopening schools safely and the need for PPE for school employees, new ventilation systems in schools, etc. / Safely reopening businesses

Last edited:
Hoping there is not a looming shortage of latex gloves .....

The world's largest rubber glove maker has temporarily halted production at more than half of its factories while it screened and quarantined its workforce after more than 2,000 employees tested positive for COVID-19.

Malaysia itself makes just under two-thirds of the world's rubber gloves, according to the Malaysian Rubber Glove Manufacturers Association.

Malaysia's Health Ministry reported a sharp rise in cases in the area where Top Glove factories and dormitories are located, with 2,453 workers testing positive for the virus, out of 5,767 screened.

Top Glove said it had temporarily stopped production at 16 of the 28 facilities since last Wednesday, with the balance of 12 facilities operating at much-reduced capacities.

The company did not immediately respond to questions seeking details, including the impact on production.

Europe and North America are its biggest markets.

World's top latex glove maker shuts factories over coronavirus outbreak

One (economic) research company believes that it will be late in 2021 before herd immunity starts forming in vaccinated populations.

But a Monday report by Citi Research showed that the economic benefits of vaccination may not kick in until late 2021, when “herd immunity” is expected to start forming. Herd immunity occurs when enough people in a population develop protection against a disease that it can no longer spread easily among them.

The report, written by Citi economists, drew on a paper in the American Journal of Preventive Medicine that simulated the percentage drop in daily Covid-19 cases under various scenarios of vaccine efficacy and coverage.

Citi said there are uncertainties that could alter the timing of its forecasts for when herd immunity will be reached.

Those factors include:
  • Efficacy of vaccines and Covid-19 reproduction rate, which refers to the number of people that an infected individual goes on to infect.
  • The speed at which mass production of vaccines can be ramped up.
  • People’s acceptance to a vaccine.
When will the world reach ‘herd immunity'? Citi economists weigh in

Last edited:
WSJ News Exclusive | CDC Finalizing Recommendation to Shorten Covid-19 Quarantines

“The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention may soon shorten the length of time it recommends that a person self-quarantine after potential exposure to the coronavirus, hoping that such a step will encourage more people to comply, a top agency official said.

CDC officials are finalizing recommendations for a new quarantine period that would likely be between seven and 10 days and include a test to ensure a person is negative for Covid-19, said Henry Walke, the agency’s incident manager for Covid-19 response.”

I hope they do a lot of research before they shorten the quarantine time. As I posted yesterday, we had someone test positive after 8 days in quarantine ... and they had been tested twice prior to that while in quarantine, with both of those results being negative.

Likely in the minority, but it only takes one case like this being released from quarantine early before it blows out into a big spread and many deaths (look what happened in Victoria.)

Last edited:
I don't get shortening quarantine just when state health departments are saturating social media with this.

It's just going to confuse people now that this timeline has been drilled in. And it is making an impact. I've seen this and other versions of it shared by a huge percentage of my friends across the US.

I'm not comfortable with a shortened quarantine.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1606281780691.jpg
    FB_IMG_1606281780691.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 15
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics