Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #88

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Connecticut-based company will soon introduce an at-home COVID-19 test that could make detection easy:

The Detect test comes in a small package that includes a swab, a vial and a reader to process the test. It will be among the first available that can be not only administered but also processed from a patient’s home and, unlike other tests that provide rapid results, is expected to be as accurate as laboratory tests...
The Detect test is currently still in clinical trials, but Rothberg said he expects FDA authorization soon. At first, he said, the test may be approved only for people trained to use it, which could include an administrator at an office or a nurse at a school. Eventually, he plans to make millions of tests available for at-home use, without any requirement for training...
Rothberg said he “would like [the tests] to cost less than $35″ initially and that the price will drop as they are produced more widely.

Connecticut-based company will soon introduce an at-home COVID-19 test that could make detection easy

Guilford scientist's rapid COVID-19 home test going into mass production

Cool Cats said:
snipped...

But asymptomatic people don't go for testing unless they know they were directly exposed to a person with the virus. The only way to get asymptomatic
people to test is to have cheap convenient home tests with quick results which I posted about earlier.

Does an asymptomatic person test postive? or not... how would you know IF you are asymptomatic?

TIA! and
thanks07b.gif
all!

Sturgeon: 'We're not encouraging you to get together this Christmas' – STV News

Nicola Sturgeon has said the Scottish Government is “not positively encouraging people to get together” over Christmas even though restrictions will be eased.

Up to three households will be allowed to mix indoors for up to five days over the festive period.

They will be able to travel between council areas and across the UK between December 23 and 27 to form a ‘bubble’ – but each household must only join one bubble.

Speaking at the Scottish Government’s Covid-19 briefing on Wednesday, the First Minister said: “That does not mean we are positively encouraging people to get together.

Does an asymptomatic person test postive? or not... how would you know IF you are asymptomatic?

TIA! and
thanks07b.gif
all!

MOO, to be corrected by others input??

Scenario:

Day 1:
Exposure of 3 individuals to someone as a contact

Day 5:
  1. One contact person gets symptoms on Day 5, and is also PCR+ = Symptomatic positive
  2. One contact person has no symptoms on Day 5, and is PCR+, yet gets symptoms and falls sick on Day 8 = At first is asymptomatic, then would in best of world/correctly be identified as was Presymptomatic
  3. One contact person has no symptoms on day 5, is PCR+ (and perhaps another one later) ... and NEVER EVER gets any symptoms at all. That is a true asymptomatic.
Loads of folks now are getting tested when not symptomatic vs. when in the beginning CDC ONLY allowed testing on folks that were symptomatic. Now, the goal is for communities to have under 5% positive rates.

PCR is the standard at this time vs. quick antigen tests which have false negatives and false positives.

Others, is the above the gist you would think is a correct explanation for @Niner question?

Last edited:
Coronavirus survives on surfaces for hours by turning into a pancake-like film | Daily Mail Online

Another article about how long virus survives on surfaces.

I admit to being so confused. I stopped washing items down from the grocery store after I read Dr. Fauci said he does not do that but articles like this one make you wonder what the truth really is -----
It is confusing. There has been a lot of back and forth on this. Although I tend to trust all that Fauci says, I’d rather be safe than sorry. I still wipe things down from the store, but I am also hyper vigilant... I even put on sanitizer before leaving my car and entering somewhere, always wearing a mask, except when walking my dog outside. Everyone around my neighborhood will usually keep distance.

MOO, to be corrected by others input??

Scenario:

Day 1:
Exposure of 3 individuals to someone as a contact

Day 5:
  1. One contact person gets symptoms on Day 5, and is also PCR+ = Symptomatic positive
  2. One contact person has no symptoms on Day 5, and is PCR+, yet gets symptoms and falls sick on Day 8 = At first is asymptomatic, then would in best of world/correctly be identified as was Presymptomatic
  3. One contact person has no symptoms on day 5, is PCR+ (and perhaps another one later) ... and NEVER EVER gets any symptoms at all. That is a true asymptomatic.
Loads of folks now are getting tested when not symptomatic vs. when in the beginning CDC ONLY allowed testing on folks that were symptomatic. Now, the goal is for communities to have under 5% positive rates.

PCR is the standard at this time vs. quick antigen tests which have false negatives and false positives.

Others, is the above the gist you would think is an explanation for @Niner?

I think the answer is kinda obvious: if you are asymptomatic you won't know you have the virus. If you don't get tested you won't know you have the virus-- and you will spread it to others--- the only way you will know if you have the virus is to get tested.

It is confusing. There has been a lot of back and forth on this. Although I tend to trust all that Fauci says, I’d rather be safe than sorry. I still wipe things down from the store, but I am also hyper vigilant... I even put on sanitizer before leaving my car and entering somewhere, always wearing a mask, except when walking my dog outside. Everyone around my neighborhood will usually keep distance.

I think part of the confusion is this: is the virus that is left on surfaces active enough to actually cause disease. We know that virus does stay on surfaces yet we are told there is very little chance of transmission in this way ( they don't say no chance). So, I don't know---

I think the answer is kinda obvious: if you are asymptomatic you won't know you have the virus. If you don't get tested you won't know you have the virus-- and you will spread it to others--- the only way you will know if you have the virus is to get tested.

I really do think that the powers that be need to start differentiating virus positive from the disease? Sooner than later MOO. Or, is it unnecessary? dunno

For a long time, AIDs was AIDS which applied to all with the virus and/or the disease. And now we all (well, that may be hoping for too much but iykwim-most here would differentiate) as a society accept and know the difference between HIV positive and AIDS disease.

Not really the same comparison perhaps... but just some type of common usage to differentiate positive tests from the diesease?

I think part of the confusion is this: is the virus that is left on surfaces active enough to actually cause disease. We know that virus does stay on surfaces yet we are told there is very little chance of transmission in this way ( they don't say no chance). So, I don't know---
I really do think that the powers that be need to start differentiating virus positive from the disease? Sooner than later MOO. Or, is it unnecessary? dunno

For a long time, AIDs was AIDS which applied to all with the virus and/or the disease. And now we all (well, that may be hoping for too much but iykwim-most here would differentiate) as a society accept and know the difference between HIV positive and AIDS disease.

Not really the same comparison perhaps... but just some type of common usage to differentiate positive tests from the diesease?

I agree- when we hear there are so many cases--what is a case exactly: i wonder- how many have tested positive, and out of those positives, how many people actually have symptoms, and out of those that have symptoms , how many of those are hospitalized.

Yes - this has been demonstrated several times in the lab. While surfaces can contain live virions, unless you're literally licking the cardboard or the grocery bag, you're going to transmit it via your hands - and your hands are only in contact with such objects briefly. Then, you have to skip washing your hands after handling possibly contaminated items, and then you have to touch your face a lot (preferably stick your fingers in your mouth or up your nose!)

So it would be rare for most adults who exercise such regular caution and wash their hands after handling objects such as groceries.

In other news, the CEO of Modern says there's no objective evidence that the vaccine will stop transmission of COVID. Since we know that many people transmit asymptomatically (they are passive hosts of COVID, they show no signs of actually damage or symptoms of the disease), it is possible that the vaccinated can still pass on COVID, which is why Fauci is saying vaccination is not a perfect solution - especially if a lot of people don't get the vaccine.

SO, upshot is that those of us who get vaccinated can be very confident we will not get sick, and we will not have lung or heart damage from COVID. But we cannot be confident (yet) that we won't pass it on to others. At the same time, the evidence seems to say that very few people are reinfected by COVID or that asymptomatic people keep getting COVID or that these people are ready transmitters of COVID. So there's still optimism that the vaccine will, indeed, prevent people from constantly acquiring COVID asymptomatically and passing it on.

14:11 minute video comparing the 3 vaccines.

Most we know, some were ah ha moments.. e.g.
  1. Since this is a DNA virus, takes longer for immunity as has to get into nucleus and then back out to make RNA, vs. Moderna and Pfizer which inject the strands and begin as RNA.
  2. As I noted above with Dr. Campbell, he thinks it's a huge deal that they were doing swabbing and PCR's during the testing vs. Pfizer and Moderna only did symptoms in their determination of efficacy (therefore better, perhaps misleading results *cough cough* that MSM is highlighting) In other words, they were looking for symptomatic and asymptomatic infections.... viral shedding (and transmission to other people may occur even if disease does not develop)
  3. He also, as did Dr. Campbell, say it's a headscratcher that the 50%/100% did better.
  4. The country of UK is the only country that did the 1/2 dose first (by error). The USA and perhaps others are going to move forward to change to 1/2 dose first for remainder of folks coming into studies.
  5. He also gives Kudos that this vaccine will be sold at cost during pandemic (vs. Moderna and Pfizer $$$ and making profit)
  6. Since 50% may be the way to go, the vaccine can be spread further. e.g. the 3 Billion doses could turn into 4.5 Billion doses of manufacturing capacity.

Coronavirus Update 118: AstraZeneca DNA COVID 19 Vaccine Explained (vs. Pfizer / BioNTech, Moderna)

This was just great information. Have to go back to watch Dr. Campbell now....
EVERYONE should be learning about the similarites and differences..........

Yes - this has been demonstrated several times in the lab. While surfaces can contain live virions, unless you're literally licking the cardboard or the grocery bag, you're going to transmit it via your hands - and your hands are only in contact with such objects briefly. Then, you have to skip washing your hands after handling possibly contaminated items, and then you have to touch your face a lot (preferably stick your fingers in your mouth or up your nose!)

So it would be rare for most adults who exercise such regular caution and wash their hands after handling objects such as groceries.

In other news, the CEO of Modern says there's no objective evidence that the vaccine will stop transmission of COVID. Since we know that many people transmit asymptomatically (they are passive hosts of COVID, they show no signs of actually damage or symptoms of the disease), it is possible that the vaccinated can still pass on COVID, which is why Fauci is saying vaccination is not a perfect solution - especially if a lot of people don't get the vaccine.

SO, upshot is that those of us who get vaccinated can be very confident we will not get sick, and we will not have lung or heart damage from COVID. But we cannot be confident (yet) that we won't pass it on to others. At the same time, the evidence seems to say that very few people are reinfected by COVID or that asymptomatic people keep getting COVID or that these people are ready transmitters of COVID. So there's still optimism that the vaccine will, indeed, prevent people from constantly acquiring COVID asymptomatically and passing it on.

It is disappointing though that there is no evidence that the vaccine will not stop transmission. Does the flu vaccine for example, prevent the spread of the flu?

TIA! and
thanks07b.gif
all!

Yes they test positive

I think the only way an asymptomatic person would know they are positive is if they seek out a test because they had a known exposure or were required to for work, travel, etc

Above is just my understanding at this time

"Studies show that at least 40-to-50% of people who test positive for COVID-19 have no symptoms."

The truth about asymptomatic spread of COVID-19 | UCHealth Today
The truth about asymptomatic spread of COVID-19 | UCHealth Today

Yes, Moderna didn't do ongoing PCR testing as Oxford vaccine did to catch asymptomatics. Moderna, along with Pfizer, only tested for such if symptomatic.

Awaiting the Oxford/AstraZeneca release of data to show such as they are the only ones to date that did PCR on an ongoing basis to catch asymptomatic folks. Which is VERY intriguing as to wanting to know what their results were. Alas, we will have to wait.

(see above videos from Medcram and Dr. Campbell which spoke to such)

It is disappointing though that there is no evidence that the vaccine will not stop transmission. Does the flu vaccine for example, prevent the spread of the flu?

Keep in mind that if with the vaccine we can get the Rt down to say.... 0.01 (vs. over one right now)... it will go down and down and down and down. It will be significant reduction nonetheless MOO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammiwinks