Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #89

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking of all totally unexpected things that changed our lives forever Due to this virus. Last year I really didn’t think we had anything to worry about. I just kind of thought it wouldnt really effect us. I rolled my eyes at the panic talk in January. By feb I was starting to get concerned March I was in is this for real mode?

Middle March we got a phone call that our govenor shut the schools Down for the rest of the year. The kids went to school one day thinking nothing different was happening. Those students never returned to those classes. Some will never see the staff or friends Again. This was the first real shock to our little world. The kids I still had at home a teen and at the time 4 yr old. They didn’t leave the house for 5 months. I mean rides in the car was it. We got a pool and a industrial swing set so my daughter who is autistic could also swing etc. since even adults can use it. We couldn’t take them to the pool or parks so we brought it all to them.

School has been off and on and the kindergartener has only gone 2 days a week or been remote. It’s sad though how different he is , he was always a hugger a touching friends. Now you can’t even sit or play near another kid. What really shocked me most was when this child sAw a picture from last year a news article about Walmart shopping .. he was so freaked out because he couldn’t understand why no one had masks on. This poor child is at the critical age when you start retaining long term memory . It’s so depressing that he doesn’t even realize this new normal isn’t normal.

My sons wedding planned for 2 years it was a big all out event was canceled last minute , last month. I hate seeing my kids so down ! My oldest got covid a bad case is finally recovering. My adult kids aren’t wanting to do Christmas this year due to the obvious. Cases in our area are out of control. They actually just closed school until Jan 11 . But only 2 days a week and only for grade school.

My husband works for Pfizer , the plant he works at is sending several people 1000 miles away to MN strictly to work on the vaccine production . So my husband will be going there at the end of Dec. They will have to remain there for 6 to 9 months.
but for this nightmare to be over it’s worth it. At this point our pediatrician has recommended that I nor either child can get the vaccination for covid. My daughter can’t have vaccinations period. Since we aren’t sure yet of the risks with shedding or so forth , he can’t ok it. We have to use the mass- immunity to protect our daughter. So I’m praying everyone who can safely get them do, your helping protect not only yourself but family’s like mine to.

I’m glad to say goodbye to 2020 but I’m honestly not trusting 2021 with open arms. It will be awhile before I trust things can’t get worse
with a new year again.

wouldn’t it be so great if by this time next year this thread is like buried so far back it’s impossible to find. Then when we stumble on it in a few years we can all have a reminder of how good life is again ( I pray )

a big thank you to your husband and all his coworkers.... I try to remember when I read WS for crime stories; now it COVID COVID COVID....who would think I would miss crime so much?

I actually predicted this back in the early days because there were some moms in Colorado who held chicken pox parties

(post 418 / Feb. 27, 2020
Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #7

* gah, it’s surreal to read back...I’m dreading the one year anniversary of my first post here...we’ve been here almost a year :( :( :()
Where I live, we did not hold chicken pox parties but my local doctor's wife against his wishes, held Rubella (German measles) visiting for young girls when there was no vaccination and Rubella infected pregnant women who gave birth to blind and deaf children.

From the above link:

“”We are a healthy family and we would like to safely expose ourselves to the virus, to help build our natural immunity,” the posting read. “We can house you for a night or however long it takes, and will provide all of your meals.”“

[...]

BBM:
“On Wednesday, Interior Health’s chief medical health officer Dr. Albert de Villiers told reporters that they were aware of chickenpox parties, where families with infested children visit another family to spread the disease in an attempt to spread the disease. He said this wasn’t a sound idea in regards to COVID-19 since it’s unknown how bad it can get for each individual.“

It must be stated that this not a good idea for chicken pox either per the CDC:

“"Chickenpox Parties"—Don't Take the Chance
In the past, some parents participated in “chickenpox parties” to intentionally expose their unvaccinated children to a child with chickenpox in hopes that they would get the disease. CDC strongly recommends against hosting or participating in these events. Chickenpox can be serious and can lead to severe complications and death, even in healthy children. There is no way to tell in advance how severe your child’s symptoms will be. So it is not worth taking the chance of exposing your child to someone with the disease. The best way to protect infants and children against chickenpox is to get them vaccinated.“

Chickenpox | Transmission | Varicella | CDC

Horrible thought! My 2 grandsons are in daycare so its those people too! Plus their Dad and his coworkers and my daughter cares for covid patients at times but tests twice a week. Just no winning in any for sure safe visit, not sure what I will choose in the next while, my husband is the type as I have mentioned before that actually has yelled at me at times about my precautions. He would visit every weekend, no mask even. I said I will consider a mask visit but that might be only he and I wearing, doubt the family will. I for sure won't visit without one and if he won't wear one I sadly will not visit. My sisters husband is feeling better with Covid so far she has tested negative in order to go back to work she needs another negative. Rumor is a gas station worker had Covid!

I always wear a mask at the gas station and hand sanitize.... how would they get it there? ug.

Last edited:
just another link

London Begins Emergency Lockdown as U.K. Fights New Virus Strain

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

From the above link:

“Covid-19 case rates nearly doubled in London over the past week, with almost 60% of these infections attributed to the new strain, according to government officials
.“

(Wow.)

So, I’m still reading back here and catching up on all this “new strain business“, making some notes & trying to wrap my head around this.

This is the third time, all in intervals of a few weeks/months, that I recall a more contagious strain being mentioned.

Note to bump and watch Dr. Maria’s comments that @dixiegirl1035 posted / as soon as I heard about this UK strain my thoughts immediately went to what her comments will be:

As I’ve stated in an earlier post(s), Dr. Maria said a few months back, that the virus is constantly mutating, that this is normal, and that they were keeping a very close eye on all the mutations. At that time, there were already well over 5000 mutations, and I recall one, possibly two mutations that had evolved to become more infectious, but not more severe, which we discussed. I need to refresh on if those mutations were different from each other, and what the geographics and exact dates, etc. on the those were.

Now, it seems that South African scientists have just identified yet a new strain, which has three mutations, and is a similar, but not identical variant of the (new?) UK strain, both which are also described as being more infectious, but not necessarily more severe, with the exception of the one article with my comments bolded in red, which may or may not be correct (“..doctors have remarked....”):

Africa:

Africa crosses 2.5 million COVID-19 cases - Reuters tally

After COVID, Africa needs to make healthcare a priority

—-

South Africa:

South Africa’s second coronavirus wave is fueled by a new strain, teen ‘rage festivals’

Coronavirus in South Africa: Unravelling the mystery

BBM by me in red / I wonder how correct this article is wrt increased severity:

Severe COVID variant detected in South Africa, health minister says

“JOHANNESBURG, South Africa — A severe variant of the coronavirus has been detected in South Africa which could explain the rapid spread of a second wave that affects younger people, the health minister said Friday.

Known as the 501.V2 Variant, it was identified by South African researchers and details have been sent to the World Health Organization, Zwelini Mkhize said in a statement.“

[...]

“South African doctors have remarked that more patients are younger, and do not always have other conditions that amplify the virus’ effect, but are nonetheless suffering from more severe forms of COVID-19.”

The research team, led by Tulio de Oliveira, has shared its findings with the scientific community and alerted authorities in Britain, who have “studied their own samples and found that a similar mutation… was the variant that was driving their resurgence in London,” he said.”

Eta:

Here’s what you need to know about the new coronavirus variant, now confirmed in SA
Dec. 18, 2020

South Africa announces a new coronavirus variant.
Dec. 18, 2020

South Africa identifies new coronavirus strain causing surge in cases
Dec. 18, 2020

““The evidence that has been collated, therefore, strongly suggests that the current second wave we are experiencing is being driven by this new variant,” Mkhize added.

South Africa has recorded the highest number of coronavirus infections in Africa, approaching the 900,000 mark, with over 20,000 related deaths. A resurgence in cases saw the government tighten restrictions on society this week.”

[...]

““We are working with them with our SARS-COV-2 Virus evolution working group. They are growing the virus in the country and they’re working with researchers to determine any changes in the behaviour of the virus itself in terms of transmission,” WHO epidemiologist Maria Van Kerkhove told a news conference in Geneva.“

Why scientists are concerned about SA's 'unusual’ new coronavirus variant | News24
Dec. 19, 2020

* note: the above article contradicts the previous bolded snippets in red, saying the new variant is not more severe.

New Variant of SARS-CoV-2 Frequently Asked Questions - NICD
Dec. 19, 2020

“Q What is the new SARS-CoV-2 variant?
A This new variant of the virus was discovered through routine genomic surveillance of SARS-
CoV-2 performed by a network of laboratories around the country (Network for Genomic Surveillance South Africa, NGS-SA). The new variant has been identified in almost 200 samples collected from over 50 different health facilities in Eastern Cape, Western Cape and KwaZulu- Natal. The new variant is different from the others that were circulating in South Africa because it has multiple mutations (changes) in the spike protein – this is the very important part of the virus that binds to the receptor on the cells inside our body and that is also the main target for many of the antibodies produced during infection or after vaccination. Work is being done to understand what effect these mutations have on the behaviour of the virus and our body’s response to it - particularly whether it makes the virus spread more easily, whether it might lead to more severe COVID-19, and whether the virus can evade our immune response.

Q What is the geographical distribution of this mutation?
A The variant was first identified in Nelson Mandela Bay but has rapidly spread through the rest
of the Eastern Cape and to the Western Cape and KwaZulu-Natal provinces. Testing in other provinces is being undertaken to understand the extent of geographical spread but it is likely that this variant has spread to other provinces too.

Q Is the new variant associated with an increase in the severity of the disease?
A At this stage, there is no clear evidence of the new variant being associated with more severe
disease or worse outcomes but clinicians are undertaking more studies to establish if this new variant does change the course of the disease.

Q Is this the same or different to the London variant?
A It is definitely not the same variant, but there are similarities as they both share the same
change in the spike protein at the 501 position. What it does tell us is that if we do not control the spread of the virus then it is likely to evolve in similar ways in different parts of the world.

Q The new variant of infection leads is associated with a higher viral load. Does this mean a higher rate of transmission?

A We do not know for sure that it is associated with a higher viral load, but some of our findings
suggest that might be the case. We need to gather more information to help us understand this. Overall there is some evidence that this new variant might be being transmitted more readily than other variants, although the mechanism of this remains to be fully worked out.”

[...]

“Q Will the new variant cause different symptoms?

A There is no reason to think the types of symptoms you get will be different. Patients will in all likelihood present with the same spectrum of symptoms as before. Whether the overall severity will be different, remains to be seen.”

[...]

Q Will the new variant have an impact on the effectiveness of vaccines? (1)
A It is not currently known whether or not this mutation will impact on the effectiveness of vaccines.
More research is needed to see whether or not this is the case, and in the event that the mutation significantly reduces vaccine efficacy further vaccine development will be required.“

-more at link

@DrZweliMkhize
Dec 18
Karim: This new 501.V2 variant has become dominant in South Africa. This new variant has 3 mutations. #SARSCOV2MediaBriefing

https://mobile.twitter.com/drzwelimkhize/status/1339976270839504905?lang=en

Last edited:
For some reason it has been reported that we - US - can expect to get vaccinated this spring and summer but if there is only enough vaccines for 20 million people by September 2021, and the US has 331 million people, seems most will wait much much longer.

Not sure what is going on?

Hope you in Australia can get the vaccine sooner. Appears to be a very long wait here....

It Can Be a LONG Wait at the Pharmacy...

what I think (guess) is that the 20 million # is the Pfizer vaccine but if they get Moderna and J&J doses too, it will up the amount, but those are not "on hand" yet so no one is adding them to the official #s... IMO.

From the above link:

“”We are a healthy family and we would like to safely expose ourselves to the virus, to help build our natural immunity,” the posting read. “We can house you for a night or however long it takes, and will provide all of your meals.”“

[...]

BBM:
“On Wednesday, Interior Health’s chief medical health officer Dr. Albert de Villiers told reporters that they were aware of chickenpox parties, where families with infested children visit another family to spread the disease in an attempt to spread the disease. He said this wasn’t a sound idea in regards to COVID-19 since it’s unknown how bad it can get for each individual.“

It must be stated that this not a good idea for chicken pox either per the CDC:

“"Chickenpox Parties"—Don't Take the Chance
In the past, some parents participated in “chickenpox parties” to intentionally expose their unvaccinated children to a child with chickenpox in hopes that they would get the disease. CDC strongly recommends against hosting or participating in these events. Chickenpox can be serious and can lead to severe complications and death, even in healthy children. There is no way to tell in advance how severe your child’s symptoms will be. So it is not worth taking the chance of exposing your child to someone with the disease. The best way to protect infants and children against chickenpox is to get them vaccinated.“

Chickenpox | Transmission | Varicella | CDC
Yes, but weren't the parties held before there was a vaccine? That is how it was for people my age.

Yes, but weren't the parties held before there was a vaccine? That is how it was for people my age.

as I recall, for chickenpox, it was thought some what "normal" to have it as a child, and preferable to getting it later for various reasons, when it could be more severe, so no one tried very hard to prevent it from infecting kids at school.

The chicken pox vaccine became available in the US in 1995. The Colorado chicken pox parties I was referencing occurred in October 2018:

“In the early 1990s, an average of 4 million people got chickenpox, 10,500 to 13,000 were hospitalized, and 100 to 150 died each year. Chickenpox vaccine became available in the United States in 1995.“

Chickenpox Vaccination | What You Should Know | CDC

Last edited:
what I think (guess) is that the 20 million # is the Pfizer vaccine but if they get Moderna and J&J doses too, it will up the amount, but those are not "on hand" yet so no one is adding them to the official #s... IMO.

According to this post by @Lilibet Pence was wrong. According to Pence there will only be 20 million vaccines available by the end of summer. Big mistake to make.

Lilibet:

According to this information, Pence, misspoke...

If Moderna’s vaccine is authorized, officials estimate the initial allocation will be about 12.5 million, which may also be sent in separate shipments to accommodate the second injection.

Including that initial supply, federal officials have estimated there would be enough doses to vaccinate 20 million Americans in December.

How many doses will be available next year?
Federal officials have estimated there could be enough to vaccinate about 30 million people in the U.S. in January and then about 50 million in February, with more in the months following. Globally, Pfizer expects to produce up to 1.3 billion doses in 2021 and Moderna expects up to 1 billion.

The Covid-19 Vaccine: When Will It Be Available for You?

For a long time there I was confused as to all the posts which included "smh"
I had no idea that so many, even overseas would even know about The Sydney Morning Herald. Yes, I'm in Australia.
I finally asked here and was told that it was "shaking my head"

Side note: Whenever I see "smh.com" I think "shaking my head" dot com! I know it's Sydney Morning Herald, though.

So, continuing my above post on all this “new strain business”, it occurred to me I may not be using the terms “strain” and “mutation” correctly / it also seems “variant” is a term to be used.

Are there different strains of the SARS-CoV-2 virus circulating?
June 10, 2020

What is a virus ‘strain’?
When scientists use the word strain, they are referring to a genetically distinct virus lineage, distinguishable by one or more mutations from another strain. Strains may or may not be biologically (functionally) distinguishable from one another and some virologists use the term strain only for the former. Two strains would be biologically different if they elicited different responses from the human immune system, or if they varied in their transmission characteristics.

What are viral mutations?
When a virus infects a cell and begins making copies of itself, it starts by replicating its genetic information, which for the COVID-19 virus is encoded in an RNA molecule. More complex organisms have a variety of “proof-reading” mechanisms to ensure high-fidelity replication; however, these are less developed in RNA viruses where the process is particularly error-prone, leading to a relatively rapid accumulation of mutations over time. SARS-CoV-2 does carry some proof-reading enzymes and its mutation rate is lower than many other RNA viruses, such as influenza virus, norovirus and human immunodeficiency virus (HIV).

—-

Some highlighted notes:

June 15, 2020

COVID-19 Will Mutate — What That Means for a Vaccine

“More infectious

A new study from the Scripps Research Institute in Florida suggests the new coronavirus has mutated into a variant that’s more infectious.

The mutation — named “the D614G mutation— occurred on the spike protein, the part of the virus that helps it bind and fuse to our cells. The D614G mutation makes it easier for the virus to infect our cells.

The Scripps researchers aren’t the first to identify the tiny mutation on the spike protein.

In March, researchers from the Los Alamos National Laboratory announced they detected the D614G mutation, and that it was likely responsible for most infections reported in Europe and the United States.

In total, the researchers
identified 14 strains of SARS-CoV-2 and released their findings to help those working on vaccines and treatments.

That being said, the new dominant strain identified does seem to be more infectious in laboratory settings. Scientists are now trying to understand how the variation behaves in the body — which may be very different from lab settings.”

June 30, 2020
Mutated COVID-19 Viral Strain in U.S. and Europe 10 Times More Contagious than Original Strain | BioSpace

“The mutation
does not appear to make the virus any more deadly than it already is, but it does appear to make it significantly more contagious. The original strain in China is dubbed D614, while the one found in the UK, Italy and North America by May is dubbed G614.“

July 16, 2020

Second Coronavirus Strain May Be More Infectious—but Some Scientists Are Skeptical

“The paper indicates that a single amino acid change from D (aspartic acid) to G (glycine) on the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein (which such viruses use to grab onto human cells) is the key to how infectious the pathogen is. “The spike protein has a critically important role in the biology of the virus,” says Bette Korber, a computational biologist at the Los Alamos National Laboratory and lead author of the new paper.

Korber and her colleagues came to this conclusion after employing multiple approaches to examine the two strains. First, they performed a statistical analysis that showed how the mutated virus—often referred to as the “G strain”—achieved dominance across multiple continents, outperforming the coexisting original version of SARS-CoV-2, or “D strain.” Then the researchers tested the amount of the virus in individuals with COVID-19 at the Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust in England. The results showed that the G strain produced more of the virus in the human body than the D strain. But the former did not lead to a higher hospitalization rate, meaning it apparently did not cause more severe illnesses. Lastly, the team members created “pseudotype” pathogens by embedding SARS-CoV-2 spike proteins, containing either D or G amino acids, into other disease-causing viruses...”

Aug. 3, 2020
The six strains of SARS-CoV-2

“Source:
Università di Bologna
Summary:
The virus causing the COVID-19 pandemic, SARS-CoV-2,
presents at least six strains. Despite its mutations, the virus shows little variability, and this is good news for the researchers working on a viable vaccine.“

Sept. 8, 2020

“In
April, Korber, Montefiori and others warned in a preprint posted to the bioRxiv server that D614G is increasing in frequency at an alarming rate”1. It had rapidly become the dominant SARS-CoV-2 lineage in Europe and had then taken hold in the United States, Canada and Australia. D614G represented a “more transmissible form of SARS-CoV-2”, the paper declared, one that had emerged as a product of natural selection.“

Oct. 30, 2020

Coronavirus mutation may have made it more contagious

“Source:
University of Texas at Austin
Summary:
A study involving more than 5,000 COVID-19 patients in Houston finds that the virus that causes the disease is accumulating genetic mutations, one of which may have made it more contagious. This mirrors a study published in July that found that around the world, viral strains with the same genetic mutation quickly outcompeted other strains.

A study involving more than 5,000 COVID-19 patients in Houston finds that the virus that causes the disease is accumulating genetic mutations, one of which may have made it more contagious. According to the paper published in the peer-reviewed journal mBIO, that mutation, called D614G, is located in the spike protein that pries open our cells for viral entry. It's the largest peer-reviewed study of SARS-CoV-2 genome sequences in one metropolitan region of the U.S. to date.”

[...]

“A study published in July based on more than 28,000 genome sequences found that variants carrying the D614G mutation became the globally dominant form of SARS-CoV-2 in about a month.”

[...]

“Natural selection would favor strains of the virus that transmit more easily. But not all scientists are convinced. Some have suggested another explanation, called "founder's effects." In that scenario, the D614G mutation might have been more common in the first viruses to arrive in Europe and North America, essentially giving them a head start on other strains.“

SARS-CoV-2 mink-associated variant strain – Denmark
6 November 2020

“Since June 2020, 214 human cases of COVID-19 have been identified in Denmark with SARS-CoV-2 variants associated with farmed minks, including 12 cases with a unique variant, reported on 5 November. All 12 cases were identified in September 2020 in North Jutland, Denmark. The cases ranged in age from 7 to 79 years, and eight had a link to the mink farming industry and four cases were from the local community.

Initial observations suggest that the clinical presentation, severity and transmission among those infected are similar to that of other circulating SARS-CoV-2 viruses. However,
this variant, referred to as the "cluster 5" variant, had a combination of mutations, or changes that have not been previously observed. The implications of the identified changes in this variant are not yet well understood. Preliminary findings indicate that this particular mink-associated variant identified in both minks and the 12 human cases has moderately decreased sensitivity to neutralizing antibodies. Further scientific and laboratory-based studies are required to verify preliminary findings reported and to understand any potential implications of this finding in terms of diagnostics, therapeutics and vaccines in development. In the meantime, actions are being taken by Danish authorities to limit the further spread of this variant of the virus among mink and human populations.“

Nov. 13, 2020

Study: New Mutation Sped Up Spread of Coronavirus

“Compared to the original strain, people infected with the
new strain -- called 614G -- have higher viral loads in their nose and throat, though they don’t seem to get any sicker. But they are much more contagious to others.“

Dec. 15, 2020

New coronavirus strain spreading in UK has key mutations, scientists say

The new variant, which UK scientists have named “VUI – 202012/01” includes a mutation in the viral genome region encoding the spike protein, which - in theory - could result in COVID-19 spreading more easily between people.”

[...]

“As of Dec. 13, 1,108 COVID-19 cases with the new variant had been identified, predominantly in the south and east of England, Public Health England said in a statement.

But there is currently no evidence that the variant is more likely to cause severe COVID-19 infections, the scientists said, or that it would render vaccines less effective.“

Known as the 501.V2 Variant, it was identified by South African researchers and details have been sent to the World Health Organization, Zwelini Mkhize said in a statement.“

[...]

“The research team, led by Tulio de Oliveira, has shared its findings with the scientific community and alerted authorities in Britain, who have “studied their own samples and found that a similar mutation… was the variant that was driving their resurgence in London,” he said.”

@DrZweliMkhize
Dec 18
Karim: This new 501.V2 variant has become dominant in South Africa. This new variant has 3 mutations. #SARSCOV2MediaBriefing

““The evidence that has been collated, therefore, strongly suggests that the current second wave we are experiencing is being driven by this new variant,” Mkhize added.”

Dec. 19, 2020

A This new variant of the virus was discovered through routine genomic surveillance of SARS-
CoV-2 performed by a network of laboratories around the country (Network for Genomic Surveillance South Africa, NGS-SA). The new variant has been identified in almost 200 samples collected from over 50 different health facilities in Eastern Cape, Western Cape and KwaZulu- Natal. The new variant is different from the others that were circulating in South Africa because it has multiple mutations (changes) in the spike protein – this is the very important part of the virus that binds to the receptor on the cells inside our body and that is also the main target for many of the antibodies produced during infection or after vaccination. Work is being done to understand what effect these mutations have on the behaviour of the virus and our body’s response to it - particularly whether it makes the virus spread more easily, whether it might lead to more severe COVID-19, and whether the virus can evade our immune response.

A The variant was first identified in Nelson Mandela Bay but has rapidly spread through the rest
of the Eastern Cape and to the Western Cape and KwaZulu-Natal provinces. Testing in other provinces is being undertaken to understand the extent of geographical spread but it is likely that this variant has spread to other provinces too.

[...]

A
It is definitely not the same variant, but there are similarities as they both share the same change in the spike protein at the 501 position. What it does tell us is that if we do not control the spread of the virus then it is likely to evolve in similar ways in different parts of the world.”

Last edited:
Dutch government bans air travel from UK after discovering virus variant

The Dutch government has banned air travel from the UK due to fears over a new, more infectious strain of the coronavirus.

The move comes after health authorities in the Netherlands confirmed at least one case of the same strain that has prompted parts of the UK to return to lockdown rules.

The Dutch health ministry said the case there had been identified at the beginning of December and is being investigated.

So, it seems there hasn't been a shortage of the vaccine ... there has been a distribution error. General Perna says it is his error.

Gen Perna said he did not know "with exactness" when all the vaccines available would be distributed.
He said he hoped to get the system working "flawlessly".

Trump's Covid vaccine chief admits delivery mistake

Last edited:
So, continuing my above post on all this “new strain business”, it occurred to me I may not be using the terms “strain” and “mutation” correctly / it also seems “variant” is a term to be used.

Are there different strains of the SARS-CoV-2 virus circulating?
June 10, 2020

What is a virus ‘strain’?
When scientists use the word strain, they are referring to a genetically distinct virus lineage, distinguishable by one or more mutations from another strain. Strains may or may not be biologically (functionally) distinguishable from one another and some virologists use the term strain only for the former. Two strains would be biologically different if they elicited different responses from the human immune system, or if they varied in their transmission characteristics.

What are viral mutations?
When a virus infects a cell and begins making copies of itself, it starts by replicating its genetic information, which for the COVID-19 virus is encoded in an RNA molecule. More complex organisms have a variety of “proof-reading” mechanisms to ensure high-fidelity replication; however, these are less developed in RNA viruses where the process is particularly error-prone, leading to a relatively rapid accumulation of mutations over time. SARS-CoV-2 does carry some proof-reading enzymes and its mutation rate is lower than many other RNA viruses, such as influenza virus, norovirus and human immunodeficiency virus (HIV).

—-

Some highlighted notes:

June 15, 2020

COVID-19 Will Mutate — What That Means for a Vaccine

“More infectious

A new study from the Scripps Research Institute in Florida suggests the new coronavirus has mutated into a variant that’s more infectious.

The mutation — named “the D614G mutation— occurred on the spike protein, the part of the virus that helps it bind and fuse to our cells. The D614G mutation makes it easier for the virus to infect our cells.

The Scripps researchers aren’t the first to identify the tiny mutation on the spike protein.

In March, researchers from the Los Alamos National Laboratory announced they detected the D614G mutation, and that it was likely responsible for most infections reported in Europe and the United States.

In total, the researchers
identified 14 strains of SARS-CoV-2 and released their findings to help those working on vaccines and treatments.

That being said, the new dominant strain identified does seem to be more infectious in laboratory settings. Scientists are now trying to understand how the variation behaves in the body — which may be very different from lab settings.”

June 30, 2020
Mutated COVID-19 Viral Strain in U.S. and Europe 10 Times More Contagious than Original Strain | BioSpace

“The mutation
does not appear to make the virus any more deadly than it already is, but it does appear to make it significantly more contagious. The original strain in China is dubbed D614, while the one found in the UK, Italy and North America by May is dubbed G614.“

July 16, 2020

Second Coronavirus Strain May Be More Infectious—but Some Scientists Are Skeptical

“The paper indicates that a single amino acid change from D (aspartic acid) to G (glycine) on the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein (which such viruses use to grab onto human cells) is the key to how infectious the pathogen is. “The spike protein has a critically important role in the biology of the virus,” says Bette Korber, a computational biologist at the Los Alamos National Laboratory and lead author of the new paper.

Korber and her colleagues came to this conclusion after employing multiple approaches to examine the two strains. First, they performed a statistical analysis that showed how the mutated virus—often referred to as the “G strain”—achieved dominance across multiple continents, outperforming the coexisting original version of SARS-CoV-2, or “D strain.” Then the researchers tested the amount of the virus in individuals with COVID-19 at the Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust in England. The results showed that the G strain produced more of the virus in the human body than the D strain. But the former did not lead to a higher hospitalization rate, meaning it apparently did not cause more severe illnesses. Lastly, the team members created “pseudotype” pathogens by embedding SARS-CoV-2 spike proteins, containing either D or G amino acids, into other disease-causing viruses...”

Aug. 3, 2020
The six strains of SARS-CoV-2

“Source:
Università di Bologna
Summary:
The virus causing the COVID-19 pandemic, SARS-CoV-2,
presents at least six strains. Despite its mutations, the virus shows little variability, and this is good news for the researchers working on a viable vaccine.“

Sept. 8, 2020

“In
April, Korber, Montefiori and others warned in a preprint posted to the bioRxiv server that D614G is increasing in frequency at an alarming rate”1. It had rapidly become the dominant SARS-CoV-2 lineage in Europe and had then taken hold in the United States, Canada and Australia. D614G represented a “more transmissible form of SARS-CoV-2”, the paper declared, one that had emerged as a product of natural selection.“

Oct. 30, 2020

Coronavirus mutation may have made it more contagious

“Source:
University of Texas at Austin
Summary:
A study involving more than 5,000 COVID-19 patients in Houston finds that the virus that causes the disease is accumulating genetic mutations, one of which may have made it more contagious. This mirrors a study published in July that found that around the world, viral strains with the same genetic mutation quickly outcompeted other strains.

A study involving more than 5,000 COVID-19 patients in Houston finds that the virus that causes the disease is accumulating genetic mutations, one of which may have made it more contagious. According to the paper published in the peer-reviewed journal mBIO, that mutation, called D614G, is located in the spike protein that pries open our cells for viral entry. It's the largest peer-reviewed study of SARS-CoV-2 genome sequences in one metropolitan region of the U.S. to date.”

[...]

“A study published in July based on more than 28,000 genome sequences found that variants carrying the D614G mutation became the globally dominant form of SARS-CoV-2 in about a month.”

[...]

“Natural selection would favor strains of the virus that transmit more easily. But not all scientists are convinced. Some have suggested another explanation, called "founder's effects." In that scenario, the D614G mutation might have been more common in the first viruses to arrive in Europe and North America, essentially giving them a head start on other strains.“

SARS-CoV-2 mink-associated variant strain – Denmark
6 November 2020

“Since June 2020, 214 human cases of COVID-19 have been identified in Denmark with SARS-CoV-2 variants associated with farmed minks, including 12 cases with a unique variant, reported on 5 November. All 12 cases were identified in September 2020 in North Jutland, Denmark. The cases ranged in age from 7 to 79 years, and eight had a link to the mink farming industry and four cases were from the local community.

Initial observations suggest that the clinical presentation, severity and transmission among those infected are similar to that of other circulating SARS-CoV-2 viruses. However,
this variant, referred to as the "cluster 5" variant, had a combination of mutations, or changes that have not been previously observed. The implications of the identified changes in this variant are not yet well understood. Preliminary findings indicate that this particular mink-associated variant identified in both minks and the 12 human cases has moderately decreased sensitivity to neutralizing antibodies. Further scientific and laboratory-based studies are required to verify preliminary findings reported and to understand any potential implications of this finding in terms of diagnostics, therapeutics and vaccines in development. In the meantime, actions are being taken by Danish authorities to limit the further spread of this variant of the virus among mink and human populations.“

Nov. 13, 2020

Study: New Mutation Sped Up Spread of Coronavirus

“Compared to the original strain, people infected with the
new strain -- called 614G -- have higher viral loads in their nose and throat, though they don’t seem to get any sicker. But they are much more contagious to others.“

Dec. 15, 2020

New coronavirus strain spreading in UK has key mutations, scientists say

The new variant, which UK scientists have named “VUI – 202012/01” includes a mutation in the viral genome region encoding the spike protein, which - in theory - could result in COVID-19 spreading more easily between people.”

[...]

“As of Dec. 13, 1,108 COVID-19 cases with the new variant had been identified, predominantly in the south and east of England, Public Health England said in a statement.

But there is currently no evidence that the variant is more likely to cause severe COVID-19 infections, the scientists said, or that it would render vaccines less effective.“

[...]

“The research team, led by Tulio de Oliveira, has shared its findings with the scientific community and alerted authorities in Britain, who have “studied their own samples and found that a similar mutation… was the variant that was driving their resurgence in London,” he said.”

@DrZweliMkhize
Dec 18

““The evidence that has been collated, therefore, strongly suggests that the current second wave we are experiencing is being driven by this new variant,” Mkhize added.”

Dec. 19, 2020

[...]

A
It is definitely not the same variant, but there are similarities as they both share the same change in the spike protein at the 501 position. What it does tell us is that if we do not control the spread of the virus then it is likely to evolve in similar ways in different parts of the world.”

I really struggle with the difference between a mutation and a strain.

My thinking is that perhaps a mutation has a significant difference, but a strain has a little tweak.

Also, is it possible that the virus is mutating in the same way in different countries, and that each country is calling the (same) mutation something different, once they discover the mutation?

COVID-19: Londoners flock to trains and cars in effort to flee the city ahead of new rules

Trains were packed and roads were jammed yesterday evening as Londoners tried to flee the city ahead of tougher coronavirus restrictions.

Fears over a new strain of coronavirus prompted the prime minister to announce on Saturday that all of those areas previously in Tier 3 in the South East - including London - would move to the new Tier 4 today.
I think it's important that other nations realise that only Tier 3 areas with a high percentage of the new variant detected have gone into the harsher Tier 4 rules.

Not all areas in Tier 3 (e.g. a vast proportion of northern England and the Midlands) have gone into Tier 4.

If the UK government had wanted to misleadingly use the variant as an excuse to backtrack on Christmas rules at this late stage, they would have put all Tier 3 areas into Tier 4 last night in my opinion.

It's only areas where this new variant is prevalent - London, and surrounding counties in the south east such as mine, Buckinghamshire, which is actually very rural - have been put into Tier 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momster0734