Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #89

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So shocking watching the press conference today, my stomach was in knots. My area, which just a month or so ago had relatively low numbers, is now tier 4. My son has been locked into Tier 3 London with his girlfriend's family for weeks now and was coming home for Christmas. So that's now cancelled. All the treats I bought them, special drinks, candles, Christmas bedding, a tree for their room.. They're just things but I'm still gutted. And I really, really wanted some time with my boy.

Perspective though, unfortunately. Today I had to phone my cousin to tell her no one from our side of the family are attending my aunt's funeral. None of us think it's safe enough to go. Bloody awful.

This pandemic is overwhelmingly horrible-I am sorry you cant do those things that we used to without ever thinking a day could arrrive that would completely upend
our lives

New strain of Covid-19: Boris Johnson backtracks on relaxing Christmas rules - CNN

“London (CNN)The hopes of millions of Britons that Covid-19 restrictions would be eased over Christmas were dashed on Saturday, after scientists warned a new strain of the virus is spreading more quickly than others.

UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson announced a series of stricter coronavirus restrictions, tightening rules around household mixing that were due to be relaxed over Christmas in England, while leaders in Scotland and Wales also introduced more stringent measures. The UK has among the highest Covid death rates in Europe, with more than 67,000 fatalities, and over 2 million cases.“

Last edited:
A very sad commentary on the state of this country.
It really is. I really gave people as a whole a lot more credit, certain if we faced something like this everyone would come together for the greater good. I’m shocked and dismayed to see the US is demonstrating to the world a refusal to act responsibly and complete disregard for laws and the lives of others. Truly dismayed. Is anyone else considering retirement possibilities outside the US? Unfortunately many countries don’t want us, and who can blame them?

Some of these COVID idiots are just stupid. More are stubborn and only hear what they want to hear. And far too many are just selfish, lack any sense of responsibility or consideration of others. Narcissism. And it’s virtually impossible to cure. If only they’d invent a vaccine for that.

COVID-19 Open Data – Our Data is Your Data | HealthData.gov
More at link

COVID-19 Community Profile Report
On December 18, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), with significant contribution from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), began publishing the COVID-19 Community Profile Report publicly on our websites. This will give the American people the same community level information that is available to federal personnel. We hope the publication of this data will help Americans make personal choices to slow the spread.

So shocking watching the press conference today, my stomach was in knots. My area, which just a month or so ago had relatively low numbers, is now tier 4. My son has been locked into Tier 3 London with his girlfriend's family for weeks now and was coming home for Christmas. So that's now cancelled. All the treats I bought them, special drinks, candles, Christmas bedding, a tree for their room.. They're just things but I'm still gutted. And I really, really wanted some time with my boy.

Perspective though, unfortunately. Today I had to phone my cousin to tell her no one from our side of the family are attending my aunt's funeral. None of us think it's safe enough to go. Bloody awful.

I'm so sorry. I can just feel your anticipation and disappointment. We've known for months there would be no Christmas togetherness in our family.

I'm so sorry you can't go to the funeral. But it really isn't a good idea. UK's overall stats are about as bad as the US's and we just can't risk it.

Do you have Zoom or Facetime or something?

Aww, I'm so sorry, HKP. Maybe you can have your son for Christmas in March, or May...

I'm so sorry. I can just feel your anticipation and disappointment. We've known for months there would be no Christmas togetherness in our family.

I'm so sorry you can't go to the funeral. But it really isn't a good idea. UK's overall stats are about as bad as the US's and we just can't risk it.

Do you have Zoom or Facetime or something?
The funeral will be live streamed and I feel sad that we're not going, but not conflicted.

My son actually lives here at home with us. He happened to be staying with his girlfriend's family when the tiers changed weeks ago and due to no indoor mixing, he hasnt been able to come home. He was coming home for Christmas and then going to stay home, because the rules allowed him to until 4pm today. They never go out in London, bless them, sensible youngsters. We werent seeing anyone else outside of our household. Its a big shock what has happened here this afternoon. To pull the rug 5 days ahead of Christmas is v v worrying.

Video below shows Italy, Germany, Austria, Switzerland - Epidemiologist in Sweden speaks at 5:10 about failed herd immunity and challenge of getting residents to wear masks now because their government has told them for 6 months that masks don’t work - she also says their testing and tracing is not up to standard (paraphrasing). Also, Germany reports 31,000 new cases & 25,000 deaths, French deaths top 60,000, parts of Sydney go into lockdown, India cases surge past 10 million.
:(

Last edited:
It really is. I really gave people as a whole a lot more credit, certain if we faced something like this everyone would come together for the greater good. I’m shocked and dismayed to see the US is demonstrating to the world a refusal to act responsibly and complete disregard for laws and the lives of others. Truly dismayed. Is anyone else considering retirement possibilities outside the US? Unfortunately many countries don’t want us, and who can blame them?

Some of these COVID idiots are just stupid. More are stubborn and only hear what they want to hear. And far too many are just selfish, lack any sense of responsibility or consideration of others. Narcissism. And it’s virtually impossible to cure. If only they’d invent a vaccine for that.

Of course I've considered it, but not a single nation that I'd consider living in would allow me to come in. Preferably, I'd like to live in Europe. No way I can ever afford it. I've lived outside the US and would not want a low standard of medical care in my older years. Canada would be great. No way they'll let me in. UK wouldn't let me in either.

Australia and New Zealand, just as closed to people like me. And I'll have good retirement income - it's the immigration process that makes it impossible.

I was just going to post this: Holy moly: they are citing a new version of the virus which is spreading much faster although it is stated it doesn't make people sicker. Apparently it is even more transmissible. Good grief---

I believe this to be the same mutation announced at least 3 months ago (probably more like 4-5 months ago). It occurred in Europe. It is the version that made it to the East Coast of the US and now is everywhere, competing with the regular, less stable version of COVID. I've scoured the literature for any news of a different, newer mutation (UK news makes it sound like it was just discovered), and can't find anything (so if someone has a citation, would love to see it).

This mutation made COVID more stable in the air. I think of COVID as being a fragile, feathery thing that likes to float in the air (especially inside some water droplets or aerosols). This new version is less fragile and floats longer. It may also survive on surfaces longer, although surface transmission is still a much less infectious situation.

Here's an announcement of this mutation (from Nature, in April 2020):

The coronavirus is mutating — does it matter?

It's my impression that UK authorities are mentioning it right now in order to justify/ease the disappointment about canceling Christmas (especially after unwisely holding out the possibility of a 5 day vacation from containment...)

This is where my family lives. Truly horrifying. I hope we don't find dead bodies in the streets.:(:(

California hospitals struggling to find beds for patients as coronavirus cases explode | KTLA
As of Friday, nearly 17,000 people were hospitalized with confirmed or suspected COVID-19 infections — more than double the previous peak reached in July — and a state model that uses current data to forecast future trends shows the number could reach an unfathomable 75,000 by mid-January.
Many hospitals are preparing for the possibility of rationing care. A document recently circulated among doctors at the four hospitals run by Los Angeles County asking them to shift strategy: instead of trying everything to save a life, their goal during the crisis is to save as many patients as possible.
“Whatever’s coming, I don’t think any of us are going to be able to manage it,” Uffer said. “You have a dam that’s about to break, and you’ve got to stop putting water into the dam.”
“I am fearful it will be worse than what we saw in New York,” Futernick said. “When New York’s hospitals became overwhelmed, health care providers poured in from around the country.”

“None of that is happening right now, and there’s no way for it to happen because every place is busy,” Futernick said. “There’s no cavalry coming.”

Last edited:
Why are authorized monoclonal antibodies rarely being used to treat COVID-19 ?

Why are authorized monoclonal antibodies rarely being used to treat COVID-19 ?

...so far, more than 400,000 patient courses of both the monoclonal therapies from Eli Lilly and Regeneron have been allocated to the states, and more than 250,000 have been delivered -- but... a new U.S. Department of Health and Human Services report ...shows that only 5-20% of that available supply has been used...

[snip]

The antibodies are meant to treat non-hospitalized, high-risk patients -- especially those with underlying conditions -- with mild to moderate symptoms. They are administered early on as a way to keep the patients from developing more severe symptoms.

[snip]

... what's still unknown is just how effective they really are. Early studies have been promising, showing the treatment may significantly reduce hospital rates if taken in time; however National Institutes of Health's treatment guidelines state there is "insufficient data to recommend either for or against the use" of either Eli Lilly or Regeneron's therapy for the treatment of COVID outpatients -- and that neither should be considered the standard of care for COVID treatment.

[snip]

The therapies aren't simple to administer: The intravenous infusion takes an hour, and patients have to be monitored for another hour afterward, in case they have an adverse reaction...

[More at link.]

Of course I've considered it, but not a single nation that I'd consider living in would allow me to come in. Preferably, I'd like to live in Europe. No way I can ever afford it. I've lived outside the US and would not want a low standard of medical care in my older years. Canada would be great. No way they'll let me in. UK wouldn't let me in either.

Australia and New Zealand, just as closed to people like me. And I'll have good retirement income - it's the immigration process that makes it impossible.

I believe this to be the same mutation announced at least 3 months ago (probably more like 4-5 months ago). It occurred in Europe. It is the version that made it to the East Coast of the US and now is everywhere, competing with the regular, less stable version of COVID. I've scoured the literature for any news of a different, newer mutation (UK news makes it sound like it was just discovered), and can't find anything (so if someone has a citation, would love to see it).

This mutation made COVID more stable in the air. I think of COVID as being a fragile, feathery thing that likes to float in the air (especially inside some water droplets or aerosols). This new version is less fragile and floats longer. It may also survive on surfaces longer, although surface transmission is still a much less infectious situation.

Here's an announcement of this mutation (from Nature, in April 2020):

The coronavirus is mutating — does it matter?

It's my impression that UK authorities are mentioning it right now in order to justify/ease the disappointment about canceling Christmas (especially after unwisely holding out the possibility of a 5 day vacation from containment...)

Thanks for the info-- it is confusing when some older info gets recirculated as though
it is brand new

This is where my family lives. Truly horrifying. I hope we don't find dead bodies in the streets.:(:(

California hospitals struggling to find beds for patients as coronavirus cases explode | KTLA
As of Friday, nearly 17,000 people were hospitalized with confirmed or suspected COVID-19 infections — more than double the previous peak reached in July — and a state model that uses current data to forecast future trends shows the number could reach an unfathomable 75,000 by mid-January.
Many hospitals are preparing for the possibility of rationing care. A document recently circulated among doctors at the four hospitals run by Los Angeles County asking them to shift strategy: instead of trying everything to save a life, their goal during the crisis is to save as many patients as possible.
“Whatever’s coming, I don’t think any of us are going to be able to manage it,” Uffer said. “You have a dam that’s about to break, and you’ve got to stop putting water into the dam.”
“I am fearful it will be worse than what we saw in New York,” Futernick said. “When New York’s hospitals became overwhelmed, health care providers poured in from around the country.”

“None of that is happening right now, and there’s no way for it to happen because every place is busy,” Futernick said. “There’s no cavalry coming.”

Terrifying! What a situation. After what happened in New York, I thought we would do what needed to be done to avoid it happening elsewhere. Guess not.

so sorry for you
sending hugs from Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members