Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #89

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Colorado:

46-year-old Erie man with no pre-existing conditions dies from COVID-19

Colorado State Fire Chiefs unhappy with first responder placement on COVID vaccination plan

“Under the plan released Wednesday, first responders, including EMS, police and firefighters, will be in the 1B category, below hospital workers and long-term care facility staff and residents.

“It’s not so much that we want to be put ahead of other health care professionals, but just to be in the same tier as them,” says Lombardi.“

COVID outbreaks at big box retailers, grocery stores in Colorado | 9news.com

Prisons and jails

5,103 COVID-19 cases among inmates
494 among staff

“This comes as state officials weigh how to prioritize inmates when it comes to distributing the COVID-19 vaccine.”

Retailers
478 COVID-19 cases associated with 68 active outbreaks at retailers, including “two Costco locations, seven Targets, 11 Home Depots and 11 Walmarts.”

Grocery stores
active COVID-19 outbreaks at 33 grocery stores, 302 cases among staff and none that have been confirmed among attendees, according to CDPHE's data.

Stores include “four City Market stores, three Costcos, 10 King Soopers, four Trader Joe's, two Walmarts and six Whole Foods locations.”

Restaurants
69 active COVID-19 outbreaks associated with restaurants

Schools
532 cases of COVID-19 among staff at schools with active outbreaks
5,204 among students

“It's worth mentioning that more than 4,000 of the student cases are from the three largest outbreaks at CU Boulder, CSU in Fort Collins and the University of Denver.“

“There are 200 outbreaks tied to senior care facilities, according to data from the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPHE).“

Colorado nursing homes account for 23% of deadly COVID outbreaks | 9news.com
Dec. 7, 2020

That's a lot of infections in jails and/or prisons.

Cuomo is now back to doing pressers, M/W/F at 11:30 these days. As always, I like to follow his pressers as NY seems to be the canary in the mine, and love to see how he is handling differently than in the March/April etc. surge. It also makes me go back to the days when most of the first wave of deaths were in NY state vs. all over the country.

This is Wednesday's presser. Great information and understanding as how things are being done MOO and the added needs now (e.g. I'm at the point he is covering the 90 regional centers capable of ultra cold storage for distribution)... again.. so much information on how other states may be doing it, but as alway, Cuomo is out there sharing the information!

ETA: Another award to Cuomo for his leadership during the pandemic
Governor Cuomo Presented With the Award for Inspired Leadership at the Edward M. Kennedy Institute

Last edited:
I was right there with you - the scrolling, growing list of names hit me hard. And I'm one of the ones facing this with my eyes wide open and aware of the reality, I still wasn't prepared for my reaction to that acknowledgement of our lost.

The Project Behind a Front Page Full of Names
The Project Behind a Front Page Full of Names

The story behind the project May 24

100000.JPG

https://nypost.com/2020/12/10/bride-to-be-dies-from-covid-19-days-after-she-was-set-to-wed/

29 year old bride to be dies from Corona Virus. What this article shows is the difference in treatment and care that a "regular" person gets, vs. someone like Guiliani. The main
difference in this case was when this young woman was diagnosed with Covid, she was actually sent home: you heard that right. When Guiliani was diagnosed or thought to have the virus he was whisked into the hospital and treated with Regeneron. This disparity in treatment is not right.

Something I did not realize until I watched Cuomo presser above. I had no idea that CVS/Walgreens etc. in years past did the yearly vaccinations for the flu vaccines to take the burden off the nursing home staff. So this is just a base to build upon for the COVID vaccine project.

Again, I learn so much from Cuomo pressers.

Sanofi and GlaxoSmithKline delay plans for a trial after experimental vaccine fails in some older patients.

“The pharmaceutical companies Sanofi and GlaxoSmithKline said Friday that their experimental Covid-19 vaccine did not appear to work well in older adults, a significant setback to their late-stage clinical trial that was previously expected to begin in the United States in December.

Instead, the companies said they planned to test a modified version of their vaccine in a smaller trial beginning in February. Rather than compare their candidate with a placebo, they said, it could be tested against a vaccine expected to be authorized by regulators for emergency use soon.

The Sanofi vaccine is one of six that were selected by Operation Warp Speed, the federal government’s effort to quickly bring a vaccine to market. The companies negotiated a $2.1 billion agreement with the United States to provide 100 million doses.“

Australia scraps a Covid-19 vaccine that produced H.I.V. false positives.

“Australia on Friday canceled a roughly $750 million plan for a large order of a locally developed coronavirus vaccine after the inoculation produced false positive test results for H.I.V. in some volunteers participating in a trial study.“

-more at link

More governments set up vaccine deals, and other news around the world.

“Hong Kong and Japan announced on Friday that they had secured vaccines for their citizens, while Saudi Arabia said on Thursday it had approved one for use, as governments worldwide line up for vaccines rapidly becoming available.

The chief executive of Hong Kong, Carrie Lam, said on Friday that the Chinese territory had struck an agreement to buy 15 million doses of coronavirus vaccines. Half will come from Sinovac — whose unproven vaccine has already been given to tens of thousands on the Chinese mainland — and the other half from Pfizer-BioNTech.“

[...]

“Japan has also agreed to buy 120 million doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine and 50 million doses of the Moderna vaccine.“

Last edited:
Sanofi and GlaxoSmithKline delay plans for a trial after experimental vaccine fails in some older patients.

“The pharmaceutical companies Sanofi and GlaxoSmithKline said Friday that their experimental Covid-19 vaccine did not appear to work well in older adults, a significant setback to their late-stage clinical trial that was previously expected to begin in the United States in December.

Instead, the companies said they planned to test a modified version of their vaccine in a smaller trial beginning in February. Rather than compare their candidate with a placebo, they said, it could be tested against a vaccine expected to be authorized by regulators for emergency use soon.

The Sanofi vaccine is one of six that were selected by Operation Warp Speed, the federal government’s effort to quickly bring a vaccine to market. The companies negotiated a $2.1 billion agreement with the United States to provide 100 million doses.“

Australia scraps a Covid-19 vaccine that produced H.I.V. false positives.

“Australia on Friday canceled a roughly $750 million plan for a large order of a locally developed coronavirus vaccine after the inoculation produced false positive test results for H.I.V. in some volunteers participating in a trial study.“

[...]

“Prime Minister Scott Morrison on Friday said that his government would compensate for the loss of 51 million doses it had planned to buy from the Australian consortium in part by increasing orders of vaccines made by AstraZeneca and Novavax. The government has said it plans to begin inoculating citizens by March.

“We can’t have any issues with confidence,” he told reporters, “and we are as a nation now, with a good portfolio of vaccines, able to make these decisions to best protect the Australian people.“”

Can someone refresh to me what the GlaxoSmithKline and Sanovi vaccines are (mRNA vs. Adeno)? I can look up this weekend if no one responds to.

What was the issue that they are pulling back? Still awaiting what is going to happen with the cluster **** that happened with the Oxford/Zeneca in which UK didn't do right for their trials. (But actually did better, but didn't meet the threshold of the US requirements for a study for EUA?)

ETA: "The Sanofi vaccine is based on viral proteins that are produced with engineered viruses that grow inside insect cells. GSK supplements the proteins with adjuvants that stimulate the immune system. The vaccine is based on the same design Sanofi used to create Flublok, an approved vaccine for influenza."

Last edited:
Testing times: More work needed on Astra/Oxford vaccine trials
DECEMBER 8, 2020

Already hobbled by remote learning, schools confront a growing problem: hackers.

“Some of the hackers behind the ransomware, officials said, held school data hostage or threatened to leak confidential student data if a payment was not made.

Over the past month, the attacks have taken more than a hundred schools in Baltimore offline. They have also hit dozens of schools in Texas and Alabama, as well as a handful of schools in Georgia and Ohio, according to public reports collected by Emsisoft, a security firm.“

[...]

““Schools have always been targets because there is a high likelihood they’ll pay a modest ransom to get their data back,” said Alex Holden, the chief executive at Hold Security, which specializes in cybercrime.

The F.B.I. has advised ransomware victims not to pay, but some schools are ignoring that advice.“

(ETA 11:38: JUST NOW STARTED late)

Cuomo M/W/Fr 11:30 presser to start in 5 minutes. I learned so much from the Wednesday presser that told me what was happening in my state (no, I don't live in NY state but he explains for all as he is the head of the Governors group in the US), and what they were doing differently from March/April/May etc., and how the vaccines are handled in states and priorites etc.

Looking forward to today's presser to learn more. This is link to live in 5 minutes

ETA during presser for a little bit:

First time he mentioned "cost of vaccine" as to decisions etc. (As we have discussed here, one is $32/dose.. Oxford/AstraZeneca is ~$3.00 MOO) I still am awaiting as to what is going to happen with FDA approval for Oxford/AZ due to their not meeting FDA requirements due to misstep in UK with incorrect dosages, therefore not meeting the requirements. MOO

Last edited:
Question if anyone knows. Folks are talking about nursing homes, and one of my neighbors just asked me if that covers assisted living. I said to ask their home care folks... yet interesting question. Anyone know as aren't most combined these days... how do they differentiate with COVID priorities assisted living congregates vs. nursing homes?

Question if anyone knows. Folks are talking about nursing homes, and one of my neighbors just asked me if that covers assisted living. I said to ask their home care folks... yet interesting question. Anyone know as aren't most combined these days... how do they differentiate with COVID priorities assisted living congregates vs. nursing homes?

Not that this fully answers or addresses your question, but here is one comment on vaccination wrt Good Samaritan in Colorado.

“DENVER — Residents and staff of long-term care facilities will join high-risk healthcare workers in the first round of vaccinations for COVID-19 in Colorado.“

Johnson said he is optimistic the 338 residents living in Good Samaritan''s Colorado nursing homes and assisted living facilities will begin to receive the vaccine by the New Year.”

Nh
More at link
New Hampshire speaker Dick Hinch dies of COVID-19, medical examiner rules

The swearing-in of the House and the 24-member state Senate was held outdoors at the University of New Hampshire because of the coronavirus pandemic. Hinch was photographed wearing a mask, though it did not cover his nostrils.

More than a quarter of House members, most of them Democrats, skipped the ceremony after learning the day before that several Republican lawmakers had tested positive for the virus after attending a Nov. 20 indoor GOP caucus meeting where many attendees weren’t wearing masks.

At least one Republican blamed Hinch’s death on a culture pushed by anti-mask forces.

“I believe the peer pressure exerted by those in the Republican Party who refuse to take reasonable precautions is the ultimate cause of Speaker Hinch’s passing,” Republican Rep. William Marsh, a retired doctor, said in an email to The Associated Press.

In my Arizona county, each of these are listed individually/separately as being in the 1st tier to receive Covid-19 vaccinations
(Different categories but all in the 1st tier)

long-term care
assisted living
skilled nursing

Maricopa County Rolls Out Coronavirus Vaccine Distribution Plan | Phoenix, AZ Patch
Maricopa County Rolls Out Coronavirus Vaccine Distribution Plan

Attorney Norm Pattis has joined a challenge against the state’s requirement that children wear face masks in school to slow the spread of the coronavirus and is seeking to appeal a recent ruling denying an immediate end to the rule to the state Supreme Court...
“The appellants argue that forcing children to wear masks in school is dangerous to children’s health and that children are constitutionally entitled to a physical learning experience under the Connecticut Constitution,” Pattis wrote in the filing this week.

Attorney Norm Pattis joins parents’ legal challenge to school mask requirement, seeks to appeal to state Supreme Court (outline.com)

Ugggh, haven’t we had enough of this idiot in 2020...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sassysyl