Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #89

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Live updates: The latest news on the COVID-19 pandemic in Mass. | Boston.com
The COVID-19 vaccine rollout has been bumpy at some Boston hospitals (Dec. 22)
More at link
The early days of the COVID-19 vaccine rollout at some Boston hospitals has been hampered by software glitches, complaints about prioritization, and a cut in shipments.

According to The Boston Globe, an online system used to schedule vaccination appointments for staff at Mass General Brigham crashed last week due to a software application glitch. Hospital officials say they’re working to remedy a solution to the problem, which was brought on when the number of employees trying to book a timeslot surged.

Some staffers at Boston Children’s Hospital have raised frustrations that the hospital’s president, Dr. Kevin Churchwell, was the second person to receive the first shot of the two-dose Pfizer vaccine when it became available.

“We were willing to put up with everything when there wasn’t a vaccine,” one nurse told the Globe. “But now that there is one and the president is second [to get a shot], it just seems like a slap in the face.”

Staff at Brigham and Women’s Hospital have similar complaints. Doctors there told GBH News some personnel who work directly with COVID patients have not been vaccinated while others who do not work closely or at all with patients have already received shots.

“After working for 10 months in this pandemic, this feels like a slap in the face,” one doctor told the news station. “It feels like they don’t care about us.”

Dr. Paul Biddinger, medical director for emergency preparedness at Mass General Brigham, told GBH on Sunday there have been issues and challenges hospital administrators are working to address. The hospital system will ultimately vaccinate over 80,000 employees.

More at link
The early days of the COVID-19 vaccine rollout at some Boston hospitals has been hampered by software glitches, complaints about prioritization, and a cut in shipments.

According to The Boston Globe, an online system used to schedule vaccination appointments for staff at Mass General Brigham crashed last week due to a software application glitch. Hospital officials say they’re working to remedy a solution to the problem, which was brought on when the number of employees trying to book a timeslot surged.

Some staffers at Boston Children’s Hospital have raised frustrations that the hospital’s president, Dr. Kevin Churchwell, was the second person to receive the first shot of the two-dose Pfizer vaccine when it became available.

“We were willing to put up with everything when there wasn’t a vaccine,” one nurse told the Globe. “But now that there is one and the president is second [to get a shot], it just seems like a slap in the face.”

Staff at Brigham and Women’s Hospital have similar complaints. Doctors there told GBH News some personnel who work directly with COVID patients have not been vaccinated while others who do not work closely or at all with patients have already received shots.

“After working for 10 months in this pandemic, this feels like a slap in the face,” one doctor told the news station. “It feels like they don’t care about us.”

Dr. Paul Biddinger, medical director for emergency preparedness at Mass General Brigham, told GBH on Sunday there have been issues and challenges hospital administrators are working to address. The hospital system will ultimately vaccinate over 80,000 employees.

I'm sorry, but this is so disturbing. Residents and interns who are literally at the bedside of infected patients, as well as student nurses, LVN's and of course, RN's, are having to wait?

I'm sure these bureaucrats will say "well, there's enough for everyone," but that doesn't appear to be true.

Front line healthcare workers (including nursing home workers) first!

(The very elderly patients may not be able to form proper antibodies, but some would be helped - but the vector by which they're getting COVID is the staff who works with them...innoculate these frontline workers first!)

More at link

Yes. The CEO, Chief of Staff, and all of the other people at the top. And then, their favorites.

This is so typical. I wish that I was surprised.

My BIL’s heart gave out at 4am this morning. he’s in heaven now with his son. The doctors said the covid put too much stress on his heart. I hate this ******* virus!
I’m so very, very sorry. It’s hard to imagine than any of us will ever again be truly the same as we were before this ******* virus.

You're correct

”Listen, COVID-19 is throwing missiles at us and Governor Ducey thinks he can protect the people of Arizona by handing out umbrellas,” said Dr. Cadey Harrel.

Group of 7,000 Arizona healthcare workers urge governor to take additional mitigation measures
Group of 7,000 Arizona healthcare workers urge governor to take additional mitigation measures
CO Governor ignored pleadings from the State’s HC leaders and advisors too. And I’m sure there are others. It would seem more Govs may be ignoring their experts than than there are Govs listening. It boggles my mind.

I know 2 people who have gotten the vaccine.
A labor and delivery nurse at Northside in Canton GA.
A nurse practioner at a pediatric office in Kennesaw GA.
Both of these women are in contact with newborns on a daily basis.
They are not on the Frontline.
They are not treating COVID-19 patients.
To me, it seems their risk of exposure is very low, yet they got the vaccine.
The nurse practioner posted her signed papers on her Facebook.
I don't have a problem with them getting the vaccine at all.
My concern is why?
I am haunted by the thoughts of what may be coming.
Why were they specifically offered to get it?
Seriously! I'm bothered exponentially!
If newborns really don't get it from mom and their caregivers are not exposed from treating patients directly, why is there an urgent need?
Wait and watch I guess.
Protect the youngest with no immunity is what I assume.
It's a head scratcher for sure.
MOO!!

I know 2 people who have gotten the vaccine.
A labor and delivery nurse at Northside in Canton GA.
A nurse practioner at a pediatric office in Kennesaw GA.
Both of these women are in contact with newborns on a daily basis.
They are not on the Frontline.
They are not treating COVID-19 patients.
To me, it seems their risk of exposure is very low, yet they got the vaccine.
The nurse practioner posted her signed papers on her Facebook.
I don't have a problem with them getting the vaccine at all.
My concern is why?
I am haunted by the thoughts of what may be coming.
Why were they specifically offered to get it?
Seriously! I'm bothered exponentially!
If newborns really don't get it from mom and their caregivers are not exposed from treating patients directly, why is there an urgent need?
Wait and watch I guess.
Protect the youngest with no immunity is what I assume.
It's a head scratcher for sure.
MOO!!

I hope everyone who works in hospitals, from doctors to housekeepers is able to get the vaccine. To me, they are essential workers even if their jobs don’t directly involve treating Covid patients...at this time. An ICU nursing coordinator in Apple Valley CA said on the news tonight that they have plenty of PPEs and respirators, but they are short of staff because they are sick. So it seems to me that some staff may have to jump in and help, even if they normally work in pediatrics or other areas. All hands on deck! Hospitals are overflowing. I think that’s your answer @gngr~snap. We are all haunted by what is coming. :(

No wonder she is jailed for four months (the prosecutor appealed her initial lenient sentence). This wasn't a 'little mistake'. She knowingly put the Cayman Islands population at risk.

"To elude the restrictions, Mack, after receiving a negative coronavirus test, slipped an electronic monitoring bracelet from her wrist and escaped to a beach on Grand Cayman’s South Sound, where she saw Ramgeet win first place."
"The islands, a British territory of nearly 65,000 residents, have reported 316 infections and two deaths."

No wonder she is jailed for four months (the prosecutor appealed her initial lenient sentence). This wasn't a 'little mistake'. She knowingly put the Cayman Islands population at risk.

"To elude the restrictions, Mack, after receiving a negative coronavirus test, slipped an electronic monitoring bracelet from her wrist and escaped to a beach on Grand Cayman’s South Sound, where she saw Ramgeet win first place."
"The islands, a British territory of nearly 65,000 residents, have reported 316 infections and two deaths."

Skylar Mack: Georgia college student who broke Cayman Islands' quarantine receives reduced sentence - CNN

The Georgia college student who broke Covid-19 quarantine rules in the Cayman Islands to visit her boyfriend has received reduced jail time after initially being sentenced to four months in prison.
The Cayman Islands Court of Appeal reduced the prison sentence of Skylar Mack, 18, and her boyfriend, Vanjae Ramgeet, 24, to two months on Tuesday, after the court agreed the original term of four months was not appropriate in the circumstances of this case.
Jonathon Hughes, the attorney for the couple, said they accept the decision of the court, though they had hoped "Skylar would be able to return home to resume her studies in January."

So, she's pre-med? Honey, this is gonna be seen by all those places you apply to for entry into medicine. You may want to consider another area of study.

And this also below. Her bf was stripped of his first place win. (He is a Caymanian)

4 months for 'selfish', 'arrogant' quarantine breachers - Cayman Compass

Hughes told the court that Ramgeet was stripped of his victory at the jet-ski event, and the prize money/medals/trophy were all returned; he was required to write a formal apology to the Cayman Islands Watercraft Association; and he would be banned from riding in the first few races at the start of the next season.

ETA: After reading more online and reviewing online broadcasts of her family on local news, I wish there was a vaccine for affluenza ;)

Last edited:
Salazar, his team and others are trying to make it easier to catch with a high-tech device.

“With the aid of this very specific chip that we are developing, come up with a way to diagnose the disease quickly, effectively, ideally point of care at the bed side,” said Doctor Salazar.

That could mean starting treatment earlier instead of having to potentially wait days.

Connecticut connections run strong for this project: from work at Connecticut Children’s to a lab in Farmington to UConn to the chip manufacturer in East Hartford.

And another goal for the team is for the chip to eventually help beyond the syndrome, also known as MIS-C.
CT Researchers Seek Quicker Diagnosis Method for Kids with COVID-19 Linked Syndrome

The man who invented the polymerase chain reaction (PCR) method, Kary Mullis, won a Nobel for his efforts, and he died last year before Covid became a thing. I wish he would have lived to render his thoughts today.

This is an old video of Mullis where he explains that scientists are all trying to do the best they can but that money often factors into what should be a very clean-cut and professional industry. It's worth a listen. JMOO.

Spoiler -- he wasn't a Fauci fan back then. Maybe he would be today, though.

In Sweden the first vaccinations against the covid-19 virus will begun on December 26. The first groups that will be vaccinated are people living at special care housing for elderly; caretakers and nursing staff at special care housing and/or elderly nursed in their own homes; and also adults living with elderly who has home care/nursing in their homes. That's about 600,000 people. After those groups it will be others working in the health care sector (hospitals, health care centres), and then adults over the age of 18, and children in risk groups. It's expected that everyone will be offered to get vaccinated before July 1, in an other article I saw the date April 30.
Så ska vaccineringen gå till - DN.SE

Lucky lady ........

As covid-19 continues to spread in the United States, I sit mask-free with my family in a cafe in Brisbane, Australia, drinking a flat white. Life is pretty normal here, almost as if this past year never happened. I’m relieved and grateful that we escaped New York City.

And so here we are, in my husband’s home country, where they took the coronavirus seriously and shut their borders back in March. There are social distancing signs, sophisticated contact-tracing measures and limits to the number of people in shops and restaurants, but mask-less holiday shoppers move freely.

Getting to Australia wasn’t easy. There were many months of waiting for my partner visa to come through, canceled and rescheduled flights and, finally, a mandatory government hotel quarantine upon landing.
It was clear Australia was taking things seriously; the guards placed outside our door reinforced that message.

It was all an impressive display of high-level coordination among federal, state and local governments. We got tested on Day 2 and on Day 10. We received three meals a day ... A team of on-site doctors, nurses and psychologists called us daily to check in on our health and mental state, and when on Day 8 our 6-year-old son started struggling with it all, we received advice from the psychologist on how to help him .... It was not lost on anyone that this experience was far from normal or nice.

Meanwhile, our American family watches events back home with a heavy feeling of survivor’s guilt. We know the impact the continued escalation in cases is having on families, schools, restaurants and their communities. I have left my high-risk elderly parents back in Colorado, my sister in covid-surging Los Angeles, and my friends back in New York, who are dealing with snowstorms, school closures and impeding lockdowns.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/12/22/australia-covid-united-states-restrictions/

“Florida forward Keyontae Johnson, who collapsed on the court during a game Dec. 12 at Florida State University, has been diagnosed with a heart inflammation that may be related to an earlier infection for COVID-19.”
Florida Gators Keyontae Johnson has season-ending heart issue

This sounds like possibly MIS-A, jmo.

What date was he originally infected with covid?

Eta:

Delayed acute myocarditis and COVID‐19‐related multisystem inflammatory syndrome
Oct. 26, 2020

Subtle Cardiac Troubles in MIS-C Paint a 'Myocarditis-Like Picture'

The Striking Similarities of Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome in Children and a Myocarditis-like Syndrome in Adults: Overlapping Manifestations of COVID-19

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member