Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #89

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The number of lives lost to suicide in NSW has unexpectedly fallen by a “remarkable” 5% this year, AAP reports.

It’s the most significant reduction in suicide numbers in NSW in a decade, Lifeline Australia Chairman John Brogden says.
“These are the most remarkable figures of the COVID- 19 pandemic,” he said. “This is a moment to celebrate life.”

Nationally, calls to Lifeline’s helpline rose by 20 per cent over the year, equivalent to about 3000 calls a day.

“Hundreds of thousands of Australians reached out for help to Lifeline and other mental health services and got the help they needed when they needed it and stopped short of suicide,” Brogden said.

“People have asked for help and got it when they needed it. As a result, we have seen a drop in the number of suicides in NSW.
“I hope this is a turning point for mental health in Australia.”

Brogden urged Australians to keep connecting with each other, especially over the holiday period.
“If you think someone may be struggling, please continue to reach out to them to offer support.”

Australia coronavirus live: Sydney anxiously awaits Christmas Covid announcement

In Australia, they have found the new UK strain in two returnees from the UK. They are in hotel quarantine - which is typical for all returnees. We have been told that due to the quarantine, the community is not at risk.

Over 40 countries have banned incoming arrivals from the UK now.

My extended family in the SE of the UK say they are 'hibernating'.

Covid-19: More than 40 countries ban UK arrivals

Yeah, I saw Australia on the list yesterday...was super bummed.

More links:

New virus strain found in Australia for first time

Australia confirms two cases of new coronavirus strain

https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/heal...r-travellers-import-it-to-australia-c-1815021

COVID-19: New strain found in Italy, Denmark, Netherlands, Australia and Gibraltar

After UK, Australia detects new fast-spreading coronavirus strain

How mutant Covid-19 strain arrived in Australia: the inside story | Daily Mail Online

Australian authorities won't be banning flights from the UK, despite new cases of mutated COVID-19 strain

(sorry for any reposts, doing my best to keep up here)

Yeah, I saw Australia on the list yesterday...was super bummed.

It is only because we are still bringing overseas Aussies back. They are in hotel quarantine for 14 days, and won't be allowed out until they have tested negative twice - on Day One and Day Twelve.
As long as we can keep our hotel quarantine tight, we *should* be able to prevent this new strain from taking a grip on us here.

We are all in favour of maintaining mandatory hotel quarantine (until we all get vaccinated).

Biden aides weighing boosting vaccine production with Defense Production Act

WASHINGTON — President-elect Joe Biden's coronavirus advisory team consulted scientists and supply chain experts about whether he should invoke a wartime production law to help produce and administer more Covid-19 vaccines, two advisers familiar with the discussions said.
Biden officials say a range of serious issues must be considered before they can use the law. A primary concern, an official said, would be how to invoke the law in an equitable way that doesn't favor one company over another.

Johnson & Johnson and AstraZeneca, two other pharmaceutical companies, are in the final phases of testing vaccines, and they expect to be completed and apply for emergency use authorization in February.

Biden aides weighing boosting vaccine production with wartime production law

Maybe they don't plan on doing anything much to help curb the virus. But AZ is not in a good place.
Another article says ....

Arizona's average rate of new cases in the past week ranks among the highest in the nation
The state data dashboard shows 92% of all ICU beds and 92% of all inpatient beds in Arizona were in use Sunday
Monday's case report was among the highest since the start of the pandemic

Gov. Doug Ducey's recent strategies to address the COVID-19 surge have stopped short of what medical providers and public health leaders have advised to curb hospitalizations and deaths.
Leaders of six major medical and public health groups in Arizona on Thursday asked Ducey to take more aggressive action against the spread of COVID-19, including banning indoor dining, limiting public gatherings to no more than 25 people and implementing a statewide and enforceable mask mandate.

Arizona COVID-19 Dec. 21 update: 7,748 new cases, 1 new known death

You're correct

”Listen, COVID-19 is throwing missiles at us and Governor Ducey thinks he can protect the people of Arizona by handing out umbrellas,” said Dr. Cadey Harrel.

Group of 7,000 Arizona healthcare workers urge governor to take additional mitigation measures
Group of 7,000 Arizona healthcare workers urge governor to take additional mitigation measures

I’m of course excited about the vaccines leading us towards the end of this global pandemic, as we all are.

And I’m especially thrilled about the groups who are first to receive them, the nursing home residents and staff, frontline health workers, essential workers, etc., etc.

While I am far from the top of the vaccination priority list, I had planned to wait on getting the vaccine anyway, as I previously mentioned, of course meanwhile remaining at home; however, I can’t help but feel a little worried/discouraged about when it DOES become my time to get the vaccines because I have had a few severe allergic reactions in the last...I am not sure about the pathogenesis of my allergies, or it’s spectrum.

I look forward to discussing, researching this aspect further with you all.

What about bee stings, I wonder...

Noting to look into the allergy blood tests / this may be a good starting point / it has been on my list and something I was considering previously / someone told me all about what their allergy blood test revealed and it was wild, random and off the wall food items...

Allergies - Diagnosis and treatment - Mayo Clinic

“Your doctor might also recommend one or both of the following tests. However, be aware that these allergy tests can be falsely positive or falsely negative.

• Skin test. A doctor or nurse will prick your skin and expose you to small amounts of the proteins found in potential allergens. If you're allergic, you'll likely develop a raised bump (hive) at the test location on your skin.
  • Blood test. Specific IgE (sIgE) blood testing, commonly called radioallergosorbent test (RAST) or ImmunoCAP testing, measures the amount of allergy-causing antibodies in your bloodstream, known as immunoglobulin E (IgE) antibodies. A blood sample is sent to a medical laboratory, where it can be tested for evidence of sensitivity to possible allergens.“

Allergy skin tests - Mayo Clinic

Note:

The Pathogenesis of Allergy: A Brief Introduction
First Online: 03 November 2015

“Abstract
Allergic diseases are mainly IgE-mediated diseases that include allergic rhinitis, allergic asthma, allergic dermatitis, and food allergy, etc. The precise causative factors of allergic diseases are not clear. It has been proposed that some people are genetically prone to develop allergic diseases. When these people encounter foreign antigens, dendritic cells capture and process the antigens, transfer the antigen information to T helper (TH) cells, and a skewed immune response is induced that resuts in a TH2 polarization status in the body. These antigen-specific TH2 cells present the antigen information to B cells and drive these cells to become plasma cells that produce antigen-specific IgE. This antigen-specific IgE sensitizes mast cells by binding to the high-affinity IgE receptors on their surface. When the sensitized mast cells are re-exposed to the specific antigens, they are activated to release allergic mediators such as histamine, tryptase, leukotrines, and serotonin, etc. that initiate allergic attacks.”

Last edited:
My BIL’s heart gave out at 4am this morning. he’s in heaven now with his son. The doctors said the covid put too much stress on his heart. I hate this ******* virus!

I am so sorry for your loss-- This virus is so evil --i can hardly express my hatred
and fear of it enough---it is the devil's work!!!

I’m of course excited about the vaccines leading us towards the end of this global pandemic, as we all are.

And I’m especially thrilled about the groups who are first to receive them, the nursing home residents and staff, frontline health workers, essential workers, etc., etc.

While I am far from the top of the vaccination priority list, I had planned to wait on getting the vaccine anyway, as I previously mentioned, of course meanwhile remaining at home; however, I can’t help but feel a little worried/discouraged about when it DOES become my time to get the vaccines because I have had a few severe allergic reactions in the last...I am not sure about the pathogenesis of my allergies, or it’s spectrum.

I look forward to discussing, researching this aspect further with you all.

What about bee stings, I wonder...

You reminded me...I was watching an interview with Dr. Gallo and he started talking about the”Bee guy”

CATCH THE BUZZ – Bee Sting Therapy for COVID | Bee Culture

Did You Miss the UC Davis-Based COVID-19 Symposium?

Bee venom and SARS-CoV-2 - ScienceDirect

Re: mutations and severity:

“The more we allow it to spread, the more opportunity it has to change.“

- Doc T

BBM

Yep. Many high ranking/thought leaders/influencers are giving short quips on MSM when the get their shots, I wish someone would state this. I think this is VERY important when we move into the endemic phase. MOO

BBM

Yep. Many high ranking/thought leaders/influencers are giving short quips on MSM when the get their shots, I wish someone would state this. I think this is VERY important when we move into the endemic phase. MOO

Agreed. VERY important. This has probably been my biggest worry since Day 1 when we learned that this was the case in 1918 during the second wave, the mutation of a more severe/deadly strain which was beyond horrific, people dying within hours after exposure, eardrums exploding or whatever it was mentioned in the documentary here.

My biggest worry right now is talk about the “children”, and I plan to focus more on this specifically.

Eta: Wrt to mutations, as if this isn’t already highly infectious and severe/deadly enough (for some)...

Last edited:
Vent:

In my opinion, with the vaccine currently being in short global supply and undergoing current distributional and logistical challenges, it doesn’t quite sit well with me that certain persons/elites who were covid superspreaders, deniers and minimizers, who were so antagonistic and selfish as to not care about making others sick or dead, who have consciously and defiantly instigated and exacerbated this nightmare, may have vaccine prioritization; however, it makes sense that if they are of the superspreading, careless and selfish mentality, that perhaps the vaccine is more beneficial in an overall sense, IF it does in fact turn out to minimize transmission and infectiousness - as we know the vaccine now is only known to minimize disease severity, and transmissibility post-vaccination is still being studied. Whatever the case, again I am happy about the tiers/phases which include the elderly and frontline workers, but I can’t help but feel disappointment for some who may be less fortunate, and who have really made hard sacrifices, who may not be able to receive the vaccine before certain elites, jmo.

Last edited:
Coronavirus reaches end of earth as first outbreak hits Antarctica
DECEMBER 22, 2020 1:24 PM UPDATED 41 MINUTES AGO
By Natalia A. Ramos Miranda

SANTIAGO (Reuters) - The coronavirus has landed in Antarctica, the last continent previously free from COVID-19, Chile’s military said this week, as health and army officials scrambled to clear out and quarantine staff from a remote research station surrounded by ocean and icebergs.

Chile’s armed forces said at least 36 people had been infected at its Bernardo O’Higgins base, including 26 army personnel and 10 civilian contractors conducting maintenance at the base.

The permanently staffed research station, operated by Chile’s army, lies near the tip of a peninsula in northernmost Antarctica, overlooking a bay often dotted with icebergs.

Base personnel “are already properly isolated and constantly monitored” by health authorities in Magallanes, in Chilean Patagonia, the army said, adding there had so far been no complications.

DECEMBER 22, 2020 1:24 PM UPDATED 41 MINUTES AGO
By Natalia A. Ramos Miranda

SANTIAGO (Reuters) - The coronavirus has landed in Antarctica, the last continent previously free from COVID-19, Chile’s military said this week, as health and army officials scrambled to clear out and quarantine staff from a remote research station surrounded by ocean and icebergs.

Chile’s armed forces said at least 36 people had been infected at its Bernardo O’Higgins base, including 26 army personnel and 10 civilian contractors conducting maintenance at the base.

The permanently staffed research station, operated by Chile’s army, lies near the tip of a peninsula in northernmost Antarctica, overlooking a bay often dotted with icebergs.

Base personnel “are already properly isolated and constantly monitored” by health authorities in Magallanes, in Chilean Patagonia, the army said, adding there had so far been no complications.

You would have thought that they would have been there for long enough for it to become visible before now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseHase