Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #89

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
LIVE: Level 5 - with some modifications - as restaurants, hairdressers to shut on Christmas Eve and inter-county travel curtailed

MICHEÁL MARTIN HAS announced that the country will move to Level 5 – with some modifications – amid a sharp rise in Covid-19 cases.

• Rolling restrictions will come in from 24 December and last until 12 January at the earliest
  • Restaurants, gastropubs must shut at 3pm on Christmas Eve
  • Barbers and hairdressers must also shut on 24 December
  • Inter-county travel will be restricted after 26 December, but people who have already left their county can remain in another county until they are due to return home
  • Non-essential retail can remain open, but shops have been asked not to have January sales events
  • Gyms and swimming pools can remain open
More at link

Litterally Just hours after I posted in this thread last. I was informed my grandmother died from covid. She had been in the hospital for a couple weeks in icu. She was actually finally released but passed just days later. She wasn’t able to beat covid. What’s worse is we were so close my entire life. Until just a few years ago ., so I never really got to say goodbye or have any closeurs. Now it’s hit me Hard. I have no remaining grandparents that’s seems so unfair. When once I was surrounded by them. What’s it going to take to be rid of this for good. ? It’s beginning to feel hopeless

My heart breaks for you and goes out to you. Vacillation these days of striking out in anger and grieving - and my anger is often misplaced. Each day it gets closer and closer to many.

I'm so sorry it's one degree of separation happening to you. Many here were fraught with sadness when it was 6 degrees of separation/Kevin Bacon type... but is now just too close with 1 degree of separation.

I'm late to this discussion. Am I incorrect in that the 3 generations spoken of live together? That's what I'm reading on MSM. So they traveled to their vacation home I guess is the issue vs. multigenerational mixing from different households which is what many headlines are?

Trying to separate the wheat from the chaff. Some MSM say it was two households, others say all was one (like Cuomo was in the beginning... with "the boyfriend" :p hehehe, months with Cuomo in house with girlfriend/not married... not like us who admire Cuomo perhaps when he talked about him on the dais day after day! :Do_O;))

Catching up on thread....

TIA for insight

(bolded by me)

She [Birx] was accompanied by three generations of her family from two households. Birx, her husband Paige Reffe, a daughter, son-in-law and two young grandchildren were present.

Birx travels, family visits highlight pandemic safety perils
Birx travels, family visits highlight pandemic safety perils

So, continuing my above post on all this “new strain business”, it occurred to me I may not be using the terms “strain” and “mutation” correctly / it also seems “variant” is a term to be used.

Are there different strains of the SARS-CoV-2 virus circulating?
June 10, 2020

What is a virus ‘strain’?
When scientists use the word strain, they are referring to a genetically distinct virus lineage, distinguishable by one or more mutations from another strain. Strains may or may not be biologically (functionally) distinguishable from one another and some virologists use the term strain only for the former. Two strains would be biologically different if they elicited different responses from the human immune system, or if they varied in their transmission characteristics.

What are viral mutations?
When a virus infects a cell and begins making copies of itself, it starts by replicating its genetic information, which for the COVID-19 virus is encoded in an RNA molecule. More complex organisms have a variety of “proof-reading” mechanisms to ensure high-fidelity replication; however, these are less developed in RNA viruses where the process is particularly error-prone, leading to a relatively rapid accumulation of mutations over time. SARS-CoV-2 does carry some proof-reading enzymes and its mutation rate is lower than many other RNA viruses, such as influenza virus, norovirus and human immunodeficiency virus (HIV).

—-

Some highlighted notes:

June 15, 2020

COVID-19 Will Mutate — What That Means for a Vaccine

“More infectious

A new study from the Scripps Research Institute in Florida suggests the new coronavirus has mutated into a variant that’s more infectious.

The mutation — named “the D614G mutation— occurred on the spike protein, the part of the virus that helps it bind and fuse to our cells. The D614G mutation makes it easier for the virus to infect our cells.

The Scripps researchers aren’t the first to identify the tiny mutation on the spike protein.

In March, researchers from the Los Alamos National Laboratory announced they detected the D614G mutation, and that it was likely responsible for most infections reported in Europe and the United States.

In total, the researchers
identified 14 strains of SARS-CoV-2 and released their findings to help those working on vaccines and treatments.

That being said, the new dominant strain identified does seem to be more infectious in laboratory settings. Scientists are now trying to understand how the variation behaves in the body — which may be very different from lab settings.”

June 30, 2020
Mutated COVID-19 Viral Strain in U.S. and Europe 10 Times More Contagious than Original Strain | BioSpace

“The mutation
does not appear to make the virus any more deadly than it already is, but it does appear to make it significantly more contagious. The original strain in China is dubbed D614, while the one found in the UK, Italy and North America by May is dubbed G614.“

July 16, 2020

Second Coronavirus Strain May Be More Infectious—but Some Scientists Are Skeptical

“The paper indicates that a single amino acid change from D (aspartic acid) to G (glycine) on the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein (which such viruses use to grab onto human cells) is the key to how infectious the pathogen is. “The spike protein has a critically important role in the biology of the virus,” says Bette Korber, a computational biologist at the Los Alamos National Laboratory and lead author of the new paper.

Korber and her colleagues came to this conclusion after employing multiple approaches to examine the two strains. First, they performed a statistical analysis that showed how the mutated virus—often referred to as the “G strain”—achieved dominance across multiple continents, outperforming the coexisting original version of SARS-CoV-2, or “D strain.” Then the researchers tested the amount of the virus in individuals with COVID-19 at the Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust in England. The results showed that the G strain produced more of the virus in the human body than the D strain. But the former did not lead to a higher hospitalization rate, meaning it apparently did not cause more severe illnesses. Lastly, the team members created “pseudotype” pathogens by embedding SARS-CoV-2 spike proteins, containing either D or G amino acids, into other disease-causing viruses...”

Aug. 3, 2020
The six strains of SARS-CoV-2

“Source:
Università di Bologna
Summary:
The virus causing the COVID-19 pandemic, SARS-CoV-2,
presents at least six strains. Despite its mutations, the virus shows little variability, and this is good news for the researchers working on a viable vaccine.“

Sept. 8, 2020

“In
April, Korber, Montefiori and others warned in a preprint posted to the bioRxiv server that D614G is increasing in frequency at an alarming rate”1. It had rapidly become the dominant SARS-CoV-2 lineage in Europe and had then taken hold in the United States, Canada and Australia. D614G represented a “more transmissible form of SARS-CoV-2”, the paper declared, one that had emerged as a product of natural selection.“

Oct. 30, 2020

Coronavirus mutation may have made it more contagious

“Source:
University of Texas at Austin
Summary:
A study involving more than 5,000 COVID-19 patients in Houston finds that the virus that causes the disease is accumulating genetic mutations, one of which may have made it more contagious. This mirrors a study published in July that found that around the world, viral strains with the same genetic mutation quickly outcompeted other strains.

A study involving more than 5,000 COVID-19 patients in Houston finds that the virus that causes the disease is accumulating genetic mutations, one of which may have made it more contagious. According to the paper published in the peer-reviewed journal mBIO, that mutation, called D614G, is located in the spike protein that pries open our cells for viral entry. It's the largest peer-reviewed study of SARS-CoV-2 genome sequences in one metropolitan region of the U.S. to date.”

[...]

“A study published in July based on more than 28,000 genome sequences found that variants carrying the D614G mutation became the globally dominant form of SARS-CoV-2 in about a month.”

[...]

“Natural selection would favor strains of the virus that transmit more easily. But not all scientists are convinced. Some have suggested another explanation, called "founder's effects." In that scenario, the D614G mutation might have been more common in the first viruses to arrive in Europe and North America, essentially giving them a head start on other strains.“

SARS-CoV-2 mink-associated variant strain – Denmark
6 November 2020

“Since June 2020, 214 human cases of COVID-19 have been identified in Denmark with SARS-CoV-2 variants associated with farmed minks, including 12 cases with a unique variant, reported on 5 November. All 12 cases were identified in September 2020 in North Jutland, Denmark. The cases ranged in age from 7 to 79 years, and eight had a link to the mink farming industry and four cases were from the local community.

Initial observations suggest that the clinical presentation, severity and transmission among those infected are similar to that of other circulating SARS-CoV-2 viruses. However,
this variant, referred to as the "cluster 5" variant, had a combination of mutations, or changes that have not been previously observed. The implications of the identified changes in this variant are not yet well understood. Preliminary findings indicate that this particular mink-associated variant identified in both minks and the 12 human cases has moderately decreased sensitivity to neutralizing antibodies. Further scientific and laboratory-based studies are required to verify preliminary findings reported and to understand any potential implications of this finding in terms of diagnostics, therapeutics and vaccines in development. In the meantime, actions are being taken by Danish authorities to limit the further spread of this variant of the virus among mink and human populations.“

Nov. 13, 2020

Study: New Mutation Sped Up Spread of Coronavirus

“Compared to the original strain, people infected with the
new strain -- called 614G -- have higher viral loads in their nose and throat, though they don’t seem to get any sicker. But they are much more contagious to others.“

Dec. 15, 2020

New coronavirus strain spreading in UK has key mutations, scientists say

The new variant, which UK scientists have named “VUI – 202012/01” includes a mutation in the viral genome region encoding the spike protein, which - in theory - could result in COVID-19 spreading more easily between people.”

[...]

“As of Dec. 13, 1,108 COVID-19 cases with the new variant had been identified, predominantly in the south and east of England, Public Health England said in a statement.

But there is currently no evidence that the variant is more likely to cause severe COVID-19 infections, the scientists said, or that it would render vaccines less effective.“

Severe COVID variant detected in South Africa, health minister says

Known as the 501.V2 Variant, it was identified by South African researchers and details have been sent to the World Health Organization, Zwelini Mkhize said in a statement.“

[...]

“The research team, led by Tulio de Oliveira, has shared its findings with the scientific community and alerted authorities in Britain, who have “studied their own samples and found that a similar mutation… was the variant that was driving their resurgence in London,” he said.”

@DrZweliMkhize
Dec 18
Karim: This new 501.V2 variant has become dominant in South Africa. This new variant has 3 mutations. #SARSCOV2MediaBriefing

South Africa identifies new coronavirus strain causing surge in cases

““The evidence that has been collated, therefore, strongly suggests that the current second wave we are experiencing is being driven by this new variant,” Mkhize added.”

New Variant of SARS-CoV-2 Frequently Asked Questions - NICD
Dec. 19, 2020

“Q What is the new SARS-CoV-2 variant?
A This new variant of the virus was discovered through routine genomic surveillance of SARS-
CoV-2 performed by a network of laboratories around the country (Network for Genomic Surveillance South Africa, NGS-SA). The new variant has been identified in almost 200 samples collected from over 50 different health facilities in Eastern Cape, Western Cape and KwaZulu- Natal. The new variant is different from the others that were circulating in South Africa because it has multiple mutations (changes) in the spike protein – this is the very important part of the virus that binds to the receptor on the cells inside our body and that is also the main target for many of the antibodies produced during infection or after vaccination. Work is being done to understand what effect these mutations have on the behaviour of the virus and our body’s response to it - particularly whether it makes the virus spread more easily, whether it might lead to more severe COVID-19, and whether the virus can evade our immune response.

Q What is the geographical distribution of this mutation?
A The variant was first identified in Nelson Mandela Bay but has rapidly spread through the rest
of the Eastern Cape and to the Western Cape and KwaZulu-Natal provinces. Testing in other provinces is being undertaken to understand the extent of geographical spread but it is likely that this variant has spread to other provinces too.

[...]

Q Is this the same or different to the London variant?
A
It is definitely not the same variant, but there are similarities as they both share the same change in the spike protein at the 501 position. What it does tell us is that if we do not control the spread of the virus then it is likely to evolve in similar ways in different parts of the world.”

I’m so very very sorry to read of your loss. I can feel your pain through the screen. My BIL is on a ventilator as I type this. He is dying . My sister was just released from the hospital they’ve were in for two weeks. My BIL is on chemo for a liver cancer. He can’t fight. His immune system is gone. The doctors are unsure he will ever recover. My granddaughter got covid first. Then a sister, then another sister, then my BIL and two nephews. I hate this monster virus. So cowardly. Sneaking in and robbing people of their livelihood, love ones and their own lives. Really bad bad words are in my head right now. I want to scream! I know this isn’t the place but WS is my safety net. Y’all are my only friends. Please hang in there Sassy. Talk about it. I’ll listen. Get your thoughts out. The written word is so powerful. It may provide a cathartic process. Grieving for you hon.

Sassy and Imstilla............ I will just be thinking about you both all day....... I do hope you keep rolling around in the WS safety net..... isn't it wonderful being in the same net with such wonderful people from all around the globe... So many folks from other countries just "doin the right thing" when we here in the US still have to keep fighting a political rather than compassion and empathy battle....

I think that stories like yours, Instilla and Sassy, just humble us all.............

Hasn't started yet... right now....live Fauci, Collins and Azar get vaccine at Kick-Off Event at the NIH Clinical Center

ETA: Live feed, yet not started

ETA #2... Has started at 10:07 am.

folds.JPG

Azar.JPG

His presser right before administration of vaccine. He speaks to mid summer/early fall of getting vaccines in below. He says start of broader category is end of March/April and will take months...

Last edited:
‘Stay at home’ advice could become law in level-four lockdown

Advice to stay at home from Boxing Day could become law, the First Minister has said.

When all of mainland Scotland goes into level four on Saturday, people will be asked to stay at home as much as possible.

Speaking in the Scottish Parliament, Sturgeon said: “For those living in level four areas, which from Saturday will be the vast majority of us, our strong advice is to stay as local as possible and to stay at home as much as possible.

“And we will be considering in the days ahead, whether we need to place that advice in law.”

Sassy and Imstilla............ I will just be thinking about you both all day....... I do hope you keep rolling around in the WS safety net..... isn't it wonderful being in the same net with such wonderful people from all around the globe... So many folks from other countries just "doin the right thing" when we here in the US still have to keep fighting a political rather than compassion and empathy battle....

I think that stories like yours, Instilla and Sassy, just humble us all.............
My BIL’s heart gave out at 4am this morning. he’s in heaven now with his son. The doctors said the covid put too much stress on his heart. I hate this virus!

My BIL’s heart gave out at 4am this morning. he’s in heaven now with his son. The doctors said the covid put too much stress on his heart. I hate this ******* virus!

My heart breaks for you. We all here at WS shall surround you with love and virtual hugs. I too am so very angry with this virus.

Am I incorrect in that the 3 generations spoken of live together?

Trying to separate the wheat from the chaff. Some MSM say it was two households, others say all was one

Catching up on thread....
I am not familiar with the details. It might be best to just look at the core concept:

- An important human whose behavior in a certain area should be beyond reproach either broke her own rules, or creatively stretched them to the point where they became meaningless.

My heart reaches out to you, please take care of yourself. You've been overwhelmed recently
Thank you to everyone. My 13(almost 14) granddaughter is still recovering from a skateboard accident. She spent two days in the hospital. She tried to trick ride a guardrail. She landed hard between her legs and had a large hematoma on her privates. Just think how hard that is for a young girl to have all the EMT, firemen and doctors caring for her look and see. That is traumatic in itself. She is so brave. She handled the whole thing better than me. She loves her skateboard and had successfully completed the trick ride many times before but she got a new skateboard and the measurements are different so she didn’t calculate properly. She’s gonna scare me to death. I asked her if she thought she was Evil Knievel. Of course she asked “who’s that?” It’s always something. She couldn’t walk and had to have an ice pack on herself at all times. I’m getting ready to meet all my sisters and daughters over at Mama’s. Another sad Christmas. So many we’ve had. Everyone take care and stay safe. ❤️

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member