Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #89

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you haven't gotten your flu shot yet, now's the time to do so. It's the most important step you can take to protect yourself and your loved ones from the flu.

Along with getting the flu shot, take these everyday steps to slow the spread of viruses like the flu:

• Avoid close contact with sick people and maintain physical distance in public.
  • Wear a mask/face covering, and cover your coughs and sneezes.
  • Wash your hands frequently.
Don't wait — get your flu shot as soon as possible!

Yay! Congratulations! I expect you will let us know if you have side effects.
No side effects at all except a very slight soreness at the injection site. Very similar to the soreness I had when I had my hepatitis A vaccine a few years ago.

I had driven to another city to get my vaccination so I could get it sooner, as the appointments filled up very quickly at the hospital where I work. I am glad I did because they ran short here and quite a few had their appointments canceled due to running out of vaccine.

Iowa numbers today: As of 10:00 a.m., we had 600 new "confirmed" cases for a total of 267,744 cases of which 214,724 are recovering (+1,081). Those who have passed remained at 3,589 according to IDPH although according to KWWL, their local county (Black Hawk) did report deaths. 70 were hospitalized in the last 24 hrs. for a total of 644 (+4). According to KWWL, there are 49,431 active positive cases with a 24 hr. positivity rate of 31%. Dec. 21: IDPH reports 600 new cases, no additional deaths
access Daily case totals updated at 11:00 a.m.

CVS Health to begin administering vaccines at long-term care facilities this week

More at link
WOONSOCKET, R.I. —
Teams from CVS Health will begin administering COVID-19 vaccinations at long-term care facilities in Massachusetts on Dec. 28, the Rhode Island-based company said Monday.

CVS teams plans to administer the first dose of the Pfizer vaccine in facilities across 12 states this week, and the company plans to vaccinate up to 4 million residents and staff at more than 40,000 long-term care facilities through the program.

CVS Health will begin administering COVID-19 vaccinations this week in New Hampshire, Maine, Connecticut, Vermont, Florida, Kentucky, Maryland, Nevada, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, and Oregon.

Vaccinations will begin in Massachusetts and 35 more states, as well as the District of Columbia, on Dec. 28. Puerto Rico will activate on Jan. 4.

CVS Health said it expects to complete the long-term care facility vaccination effort in about 12 weeks.

Baker Begs Residents Not to Travel for Holidays, Hints at More Restrictions
Much more at link
Since the first COVID-19 case was confirmed here on Feb. 1, 324 days ago, a total of 311,090 people have tested positive, including 4,162 whose results were reported by the DPH on Sunday and 3,995 on Saturday. More than one-tenth of the total number of confirmed cases -- 31,516 -- were logged over the past week, as the state continues to grapple with a second surge of infections.

For those who are interested in the genomic testing, and how they work out the source of an outbreak, this article is an interesting read.

Not long after midnight on Thursday last week, New South Wales Health got the news it had been dreading.
A south-western Sydney woman had tested positive to COVID-19, ending the state's near month-long streak without any locally acquired cases.

By 8:08am, work was underway to sequence the genome of the latest positive sample.
... when authorities are racing to contain a possible outbreak, the pressure is on.

The chemical reactions needed to prepare these samples can take more than 90 minutes, which adds up when time is of the essence.
Once scientists have the genetic sample they need, it is then fed into a small device, which reads the genome in a minimum of four hours.

The result is a print-out of 30,000 letters showing a unique pattern of the four RNA letters that comprise a genome: A,C, G and T.

As COVID-19 spreads through the community, this alphabet soup of letters starts to change in small ways, sometimes likened to the discrepancies you might see when making a photocopy of a photocopy.
These tiny changes, or errors, represent changes to the RNA code of the virus and they are the key to tracking it.

Genomic sequencing shows spread of Novotel, Ryde Hospital COVID-19 cases

WHO Director-General's opening remarks at the media briefing on COVID-19 - 21 December 2020
source

21 December 2020

• In the past few days, there have been reports of new variants of the COVID-19 virus in South Africa and the UK. Viruses mutate over time; that’s natural and expected. WHO is working with scientists to understand how these genetic changes affect how the virus behaves.
  • In early 2021, 4.6 billion U.S. dollars in additional funding will be needed to purchase COVID-19 vaccines for at least 20% of the population of all low and lower-middle income countries.
  • The hundred-hundred initiative of WHO, UNICEF and the World Bank aims to support 100 countries to conduct rapid readiness assessments and develop country-specific plans within 100 days for vaccines and other COVID-19 tools. 89 countries have already completed the assessments and our teams are working around the clock to ensure that governments and health systems are ready for global vaccine rollout.
  • For 30 years, our colleagues at the United Nations Development Programme, or UNDP, have published the Human Development Report, an annual snapshot of the state of global development. The latest edition of the Human Development Report, published last week, takes an in-depth look at the COVID-19 pandemic and what it might mean for the future of development and humanity.

-------------------

“Good morning, good afternoon and good evening.

In the past few days, there have been reports of new variants of the COVID-19 virus in South Africa and the United Kingdom.

Viruses mutate over time; that’s natural and expected.

The UK has reported that this new variant transmits more easily but there is no evidence so far that it is more likely to cause severe disease or mortality.

WHO is working with scientists to understand how these genetic changes affect how the virus behaves.

The bottom line is that we need to suppress transmission of all SARS-CoV-2 viruses as quickly as we can.

The more we allow it to spread, the more opportunity it has to change.

I can’t stress enough - to all governments and all people – how important it is to take the necessary precautions to limit transmission.

===

This year has been difficult for all of us, but for health workers it has never been harder.

At this festive time of year for so many, the best gift for health workers is for leaders and citizens to take precautions that ease the pressure on health systems.

Safe and effective vaccines give us hope, but they are not an excuse for people to let down their guard and put themselves and their loved ones at risk.

Now is the time to double down on the public health basics that have seen many countries suppress the virus effectively.

There are a number of groups that continue to push a narrative that this virus only affects the old, and that with vaccines on the horizon we can relax.

COVID-19 affects children and adults in a variety of ways, and it can attack every system in the body.

And a growing number of people suffer with long-term consequences of the virus.

This includes neurological complications for children and adults, which are still being researched.

Vaccines are offering hope for some, but I am deeply concerned that vaccine nationalism will deprive the world’s poorest and most vulnerable people of these life-saving tools.

Now is the time for political commitment to be translated into action.

Pledges and promises will not protect anyone unless they are realised.

Last week, we announced that the COVAX Facility - which is backed by 190 countries and economies – has secured access to nearly two billion doses of promising vaccine candidates.

In early 2021, US$ 4.6 billions in additional funding will be needed to purchase COVID-19 vaccines for at least 20% of the population of all low and lower-middle income countries.

This will ensure health workers and those at highest risk of severe disease are vaccinated, which is the fastest way to stabilise health systems and economies and stimulate a truly global recovery.

The hundred-hundred initiative of WHO, UNICEF and the World Bank aims to support 100 countries to conduct rapid readiness assessments and develop country-specific plans within 100 days for vaccines and other COVID-19 tools.

89 countries have already completed the assessments and our teams are working around the clock to ensure that governments and health systems are ready for global vaccine rollout.

WHO has also released a new training course for health workers on COVID-19 vaccination, which is available at OpenWHO .org

Vaccines will help to end the pandemic, but the effects of COVID-19 will continue to be felt for many years to come.

The pandemic has exploited and exacerbated the vulnerabilities and inequalities of our world.

But it has also shown that in the face of an unprecedented crisis, we can come together in new ways to confront it.

Every crisis is an opportunity to question the way we do things, and to find new ways of doing them.

For 30 years, our colleagues at the United Nations Development Programme, or UNDP, have published the Human Development Report, an annual snapshot of the state of global development.

UNDP has long been a critical partner to WHO, working closely on a host of health and development issues together to solve problems on the ground so that people get the services they need.

The latest edition of the Human Development Report, published last week, takes an in-depth look at the COVID-19 pandemic and what it might mean for the future of development and humanity.

To talk more about the report, I’m pleased to be joined by my brother, Achim Steiner, the Administrator of UNDP.

Achim, thank you for your partnership and thank you so much for joining us today. The floor is yours.”

Full Conference:

——

Eta:
Has the US signaled a willingness to tackle problems from a global perspective with the latest Covid relief bill?

Congress takes aim at climate change in massive relief bill
The huge pandemic relief and spending bill includes billions of dollars to promote clean energy such as wind and solar power while sharply reducing over time the use of potent coolants in air conditioners and refrigerators that are considered a major driver of global warming.

The energy and climate provisions, supported by lawmakers from both parties, were hailed as the most significant climate change law in at least a decade.

It’s MOO but I hope the new bill is a sign of things to come. Yes it’s national relief for pandemic problems, but the bill could go far to address the global need for change, not only for the climate but hopefully to our approach to tackling this pandemic. Hopefully the US is ready to engage on a global level.

You may appreciate what the speaker in the above video, Achim Steiner, the Administrator of UNDP, has to say. :)

Eta3:

Human Development Report 2020 (mentioned in the above WHO Presser):
Human Development Report 2020
The next frontier
Human development and the Anthropocene

http://hdr.undp.org/sites/default/files/hdr2020.pdf

Eta4:

Oh Noooo...re: the new UK variant, from tonight’s NBC Nightly News video / BBM in red:

2:11 - “Key government scientists expressing higher confidence that a new coronavirus strain is more transmissible, 50% more infectious they now estimate, and they say there is a hint it more easily infects children.”

:(

Last edited:
Oh Noooo...re: the new UK variant, from tonight’s NBC Nightly News video / BBM in red:

2:11 - “Key government scientists expressing higher confidence that a new coronavirus strain is more transmissible, 50% more infectious they now estimate, and they say there is a hint it more easily infects children.”

:(

RSBM

Could it be that the new strain is already here in L..A. County?

I posted this link earlier. The number of infection in children is scarily high.

"About 10% of asymptomatic children brought to L.A.-area campuses to get tested for the coronavirus over the past week were positive, the Los Angeles Unified School District announced Monday."
LAUSD: 1 in 10 asymptomatic children tested positive for the coronavirus | KTLA

No heart attack after all...

Passenger on United flight to LAX died of respiratory failure, COVID-19, coroner says

LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A United Airlines passenger who collapsed on a packed flight from Orlando to Los Angeles International Airport died of acute respiratory failure and COVID-19, a coroner's report confirms.
Passengers are questioning why the man was allowed to board the flight. They are all sharing the same story, saying the man's wife said her husband had tested positive for COVID-19 the week prior and were displaying coronavirus-like symptoms.

In the latest WHO Press Briefing, a journalist in Japan asks the key questions right off the bat wrt the new variants in the UK and South Africa (see video / 16:18).

Dr. Maria Van Kerkhove replies about the UK VUI:
  • It has a number of mutations that was identified through genomic sequencing, which is carried out across the country.

• The Variant Under Investigation was reported to WHO on 14th December, following detail analysis that the UK had done in the southeast of England, looking at their epidemiologic surveillance data and their laboratory data, noting an increase in transmission at the end of Nov/Dec, while interventions were in place.
  • They did some file genetic analysis and identified this variant, they’re calling it the “B-117 lineage which includes this mutation at the N501Y site”.

• She also said the R Naught went up by .4, increasing from 1.1 to 1.5

• (Adding to notes re: Strains / Variants / Mutations)

• Also note it was originally referred to as “VUI-202012/01”:

* From above notes, “Dec. 15, 2020: New coronavirus strain spreading in UK has key mutations, scientists say “The new variant, which UK scientists have named “VUI – 202012/01” includes a mutation in the viral genome region encoding the spike protein, which - in theory - could result in COVID-19 spreading more easily between people.”...“As of Dec. 13, 1,108 COVID-19 cases with the new variant had been identified, predominantly in the south and east of England, Public Health England said in a statement.“

Last edited:
On Wednesday last week the US reported a record 3611 deaths: one every 23 seconds.

Between Saturday December 12 and December 19 the US recorded 17,373 deaths: One every 34 seconds.

On Thursday last week Providence St Mary Medical Centre in Apple Valley, California had 60 ICU level patients. The hospital has 20 ICU beds.

‘We’re getting crushed’: Outbreak spirals

One editorialist said it best: "When it comes to Covid restrictions, everyone exempts themselves to some degree."

California Governor Newsome got creative on what is "out door dining".

Doctor Brix of national disease control fame then gets creative on what constitutes a "single household" and "essential travel". Many of us can get creative on what is "essential" as well.

But... Dr. Brix can get creative and remain in her position, I don't see how this woman's actions disqualify herself from medicine. If I was her, I would just keep a low profile while in jail, apply for early release if possible, and stay out of the Cayman Islands.

I'm late to this discussion. Am I incorrect in that the 3 generations spoken of live together? That's what I'm reading on MSM. So they traveled to their vacation home I guess is the issue vs. multigenerational mixing from different households which is what many headlines are?

Trying to separate the wheat from the chaff. Some MSM say it was two households, others say all was one (like Cuomo was in the beginning... with "the boyfriend" :p hehehe, months with Cuomo in house with girlfriend/not married... not like us who admire Cuomo perhaps when he talked about him on the dais day after day! :Do_O;))

Catching up on thread....

TIA for insight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads