Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #94

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess a vaccinated person can get it, but it's unlikely and may not be as severe.

I was fortunate enough to receive my first dose of the AstraZeneca vaccine this week. I feel very happy and lucky. I thought I was going to have to wait until October, for Stage 2B.

In my post vaccine information, it says that there is an 80% chance I will not get covid. And if I somehow do, hospitalisations and severe cases have virtually been eliminated when a person is vaccinated. (Not their exact words, but that is the gist.)

And the 2nd shot is more or less a booster, to strengthen the immunity even more. Research is showing that with AstraZeneca, if you can wait until around the 12 week mark to have the booster, its effect is even better than if had sooner.

So it is not so scary to know that if I did somehow contract the virus, at the worst I would likely have a mild/moderate case of the 'flu' for a bit.

I have to say that I have not had one single side effect. No sore arm, not anything at all.

Last edited:
I was fortunate enough to receive my first dose of the AstraZeneca vaccine this week. I feel very happy and lucky. I thought I was going to have to wait until October.

In my post vaccine information, it says that there is an 80% chance I will not get covid. And if I somehow do, hospitalisations and severe cases have virtually been eliminated when a person is vaccinated. (Not their exact words, but that is the gist.)

And the 2nd shot is more or less a booster, to strengthen the immunity even more. Research is showing that with AstraZeeca, if you can wait until around the 12 week mark to have the booster, its effect is even better than if had sooner.

So it is not so scary to know that if I did somehow contract the virus, at the worst I would likely have a mild/moderate case of the 'flu' for a bit.

I have to say that I have not had one single side effect. No sore arm, not anything at all.

I saw on yesterday Dr. Campbell video that Aussies were getting now and was surprised... great for you!

I was fortunate enough to receive my first dose of the AstraZeneca vaccine this week. I feel very happy and lucky. I thought I was going to have to wait until October, for Stage 2B.

And the 2nd shot is more or less a booster, to strengthen the immunity even more. Research is showing that with AstraZeeca, if you can wait until around the 12 week mark to have the booster, its effect is even better than if had sooner.

So pleased for you SA :)

Why do you suppose Brazil is having so much trouble? And, with their young people, too--

So far this month, according to government data, about 2,030 Brazilians aged 30 to 39 have died from Covid, more than double the number recorded in January. Among those in their 40s, there have been 4,150 fatalities in March, up from 1,823 in January, and for those 20-29, deaths jumped to 505 from 242.
Younger Brazilians Are Dying From Covid in an Alarming New Shift

And the 2nd shot is more or less a booster, to strengthen the immunity even more. Research is showing that with AstraZeneca, if you can wait until around the 12 week mark to have the booster, its effect is even better than if had sooner.

That's really good news!

I saw on yesterday Dr. Campbell video that Aussies were getting now and was surprised... great for you!

Our own production of the AstraZeneca vaccine is now being shipped out of Melbourne. Our (registered) GPs are getting regular deliveries every week, from now on. My GP is registered to be a vaccine provider.

The whole process was SO efficient. In 20 mins I was in and out - including my 15 min sit and wait to make sure I was okay - and had a 2nd appointment booked for the booster shot.

And a record of the shot is in my online govt Medicare record (which I can access, and all Aussies have due to national healthcare).

:)Yay !!!

Spouse is now eligible and has been looking at local pharmacies/stores with no luck. He won’t drive halfway across the state to a Mass Vax site :rolleyes:
I was surprised he’d put in much effort “Mr. That one time I got the flu shot I got sick” :rolleyes: He’s too lazy to drive far but he’s still not wanting the rona.
Several younger coworkers of mine rumored out with it the last two weeks. :mad::confused:

Update: I’m still waiting to find an open appt BUT my daughter started following the local sheriff I mentioned and my daughter found a cancellation through him for yesterday afternoon. She quickly ubered to the mega site and got her first dose.

Free Krispy Kreme doughnut with a Covid vaccine.

Show-Your-COVID-19-Vaccination-Card-For-Free-Doughnuts-At-Krispy-Kreme-Throughout-2021-678x381.jpg

Krispy Kreme CEO defends COVID vaccine promotion: 'If folks don't want to visit a donut shop, they don't have to'

Re: Brazil, they’re building vertical graves bc they’ve run out of space for the bodies. Brazil has seen its highest death toll numbers since the beginning of the pandemic. There are concerns about the efficacy of vaccines against the P1 variant (iirc, the Chinese vaccine shows efficacy). We are possibly in big trouble with P1, jmo. See doctor below speak about how we need to get aid and vaccines to Brazil and why this has global ramifications. (Post continued below re: the importance of equitable vaccine distribution and why it is imperative and affects the whole world re: the trajectory of this pandemic.)

* reinfection has been noted to occur with P1, as well as many younger people experiencing severe disease.

Why do you suppose Brazil is having so much trouble? And, with their young people, too--

Younger Brazilians Are Dying From Covid in an Alarming New Shift
P1, jmo

Last edited:
It must be noted if not already discussed the global effects and trajectory of this pandemic as related to the lack of equitable vaccine distribution. This week, the WHO, as well and Dr. Osterholm and others, have emphatically stressed and VERY seriously explained how vaccine inequity affects us all. Not only is it a humanitarian issue, it is also, in the words of Dr. O, a “strategic” issue. If only the high income countries get the vaccines, and do not share/allocate their doses that they are now opening up for the non high risk groups, and low and middle income countries do not get vaccines, then new variants will continue to emerge and spread, those which may evade the vaccines, compromising progress and efforts of all going forward.

It is imperative that high income countries help vaccinate low and middle income countries.

Last edited:
Not to be too prying... but are those in the last week under 65 now here on threads?

I am. One of the reasons why I was so thankful that my GP authorised (and suggested) my covid vaccination now. She is fabulous though. She wants everyone vaccinated yesterday. And I took a lone appointment that no-one else seemed to want - or perhaps was a cancellation.

My doctor's office (which consists of about 10 different doctors) is actively contacting their clients and having them come in for their shots. Though anyone in the area can go to them, as there is online booking and registration.

Seems that a lot of our GPs registered their offices to give the vac.

Last edited:
It must be noted if not already discussed the global effects and trajectory of this pandemic as related to the lack of equitable vaccine distribution. This week, the WHO, as well and Dr. Osterholm and others, have emphatically stressed and VERY seriously explained how vaccine inequity affects us all. Not only is it a humanitarian issue, it is also, in the words of Dr. O, a “strategic” issue. If only the high income countries get the vaccines, and do not share/allocate their doses that they are now opening up for the non high risk groups, and low and middle income countries do not get vaccines, then new variants will continue to emerge and spread, those which may evade the vaccines, compromising progress and efforts of all going forward.

It is imperative that high income countries help vaccinate low and middle income countries.

EU and India are both now blocking vaccine distribution from their countries!!!

India’s block on vaccine exports deals blow to dozens of nations
Will Block AstraZeneca Vaccine Exports If Home Demands Not Met: EU

Not to be too prying... but are those in the last week under 65 now here on threads?

? I am under 65. And have never even missed a day of work during this whole "lockdown". Some folks have to actually be at work, to perform their job duties. I interact with the public every day.

I am actually surprised that I never caught Covid. People around me did, co-workers, friends, family members...I was never sick. Unless I had a "symptom free" case, but if I had, I am sure that my husband would have caught it from me. And if he had caught Covid, I am pretty sure he would not have survived.

I am so glad that this messed up year is fading. We are still vigilant, but feeling better with the vaccine.

I’m early 50s and got vaxxed at work in January. First gBaby due anytime now really :D honestly still a bit nervous with things as they are right now. Trying not to worry *too much* Spent maybe 3 hours total in a few visits during the pregnancy. Mostly outside or masked. With the recent news /no link/ of antibodies being passed to unborn babies I really wish dd got vaxxed. (Offered at work)

Now vaccinated, older adults emerge from COVID hibernation
Much more at link
Bill Griffin waited more than a year for this moment: Newly vaccinated, he embraced his 3-year-old granddaughter for the first time since the pandemic began.

“She came running right over. I picked her up and gave her a hug. It was amazing,” the 70-year-old said after the reunion last weekend.

Spring has arrived with sunshine and warmer weather, and many older adults who have been vaccinated, like Griffin, are emerging from COVID-19-imposed hibernation.

From shopping in person or going to the gym to bigger milestones like visiting family, the people who were once most at risk from COVID-19 are beginning to move forward with getting their lives on track. Nearly 45% of Americans who are 65 and older are now fully vaccinated.

Visiting grandchildren is a top priority for many older adults. In Arizona, Gailen Krug has yet to hold her first grandchild, who was born a month into the pandemic in Minneapolis. Now fully vaccinated, Krug is making plans to travel for her granddaughter’s first birthday in April.

“I can’t wait,” said Krug, whose only interactions with the girl have been over Zoom and FaceTime. “It’s very strange to not have her in my life yet.”

The excitement she feels, however, is tempered with sadness. Her daughter-in-law’s mother, who she had been looking forward to sharing grandma duties with, died of COVID-19 just hours after the baby’s birth. She contracted it at a nursing home.

Last edited:
Junior Bruins hockey team out of Marlboro slapped with $2,100 fine for alleged COVID-19 violations
More at link
MARLBORO — A local youth hockey team based in Marlboro was fined $2,100 for allegedly breaking state laws intended to protect participants and the public against COVID-19.

The fine was levied by the Hopkinton Board of Health against the Junior Bruins hockey team comprised of players 18 years of age and younger. The Junior Bruins won a USPHL national tournament earlier this month in Pennsylvania.

The 25-member roster includes players from both Middlesex and Worcester counties, including three from Framingham, and one each from Douglas, Holden, Hopkinton, Lancaster, Leominster, Natick, Oxford, Princeton and Southboro.

The alleged violations occurred during the team’s participation in a United States Premier Hockey League tournament held earlier this month in York, Pennsylvania. The Junior Bruins won the 18-and-under title on March 7

Two unnamed players allegedly displayed symptoms of COVID-19 on March 3, just days before the tournament started, according to Wednesday’s cease-and-desist order from the Hopkinton Board of Health to Chris Masters, the Junior Bruins program director. The elite team's home ice is the New England Sports Center in Marlboro.

Those alleged symptoms represent a violation of state regulations that spell out organizers of an activity must ensure that players show no signs of COVID-19 symptoms for 14 days before competition.

Another alleged violation states that any individual who develops COVID-19 symptoms during an activity must be removed from it and instructed to return home.

Last edited:

Re: India allegedly blocking vaccine exports - this was actually raised by a reporter in yesterday’s WHO conference, and was disputed by Doc T. In fact, he made a big deal to thank India several times because India has supplied more vaccines to the rest of the world of the world than any other country. As I’m understanding it, India is seeing a major uptick in cases, and as a result of this, a more balanced approach is being taken at this time in order to address this uptick and mitigate the situation. Let me find the section on this discussion from the conference, because there seems to be conflicting information out there. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
extremevertigo