Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #98

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just saw the impossible rhetoric going on here in Montana about face masks in schools. People are dug in about it, either pro or against masks.

Looks like another school year disaster here. And this is a very small scale. This Delta variant, and the already evident issues with children in hospitals in Florida...I don't see schools starting off all good to go. I think everyone was ready for a normal school year.

I don't see that happening.

Health official reveals the signs you have the Delta variant

THE Delta variant has already become the dominant strain of COVID-19 in the US, but many people still don't know that the signs of Delta differ from the well known symptoms of the original strain.

Just to add to the symptom confusion, of the people I know with Delta (presumed, as it’s by far the dominant strain here) two started with vomiting and several had headaches they couldn’t shift. Other symptoms include hay fever type sniffles, sore throat, fatigue, and of course coughing and loss of smell / taste. So basically - everything!!

I just saw the impossible rhetoric going on here in Montana about face masks in schools. People are dug in about it, either pro or against masks.

Looks like another school year disaster here. And this is a very small scale. This Delta variant, and the already evident issues with children in hospitals in Florida...I don't see schools starting off all good to go. I think everyone was ready for a normal school year.

Another dynamic now with the schools is vaccination and teachers, to mandate or not...I’m watching NBC Nightly News right now, unable to link due to tech issues, but they’re talking about if unvaccinated teachers present a risk to children/students, esp. those who are unable to get vaccinated.

Another dynamic now with the schools is vaccination and teachers, to mandate or not...I’m watching NBC Nightly News right now, unable to link due to tech issues, but they’re talking about if unvaccinated teachers present a risk to children/students, esp. those who are unable to get vaccinated.

It is an interesting political "hot potato" for unions. Won't go too deep into the political weeds...but many of my personal friends are involved in this situation from a union side. The issue is problematic.

I think the chances of a normal school year are zero. The schools will start, kids will get infected, the schools will go into quarantine and so on.

Meanwhile here in Texas

U.S. City With 2.4 Million Population Has Just Six ICU Beds Left
upload_2021-8-8_10-38-31.png
(Bloomberg) -- With ICU beds down to a single digit, Austin sounded the alarm Saturday, using its emergency alert system to let residents in the Texas capital city know that the local state of the pandemic is “dire.” More at link . . .

well that’s dire alright :(
I did see somewhere recently-no link- that Covid icu patients in this wave aren’t lingering in their icu beds for weeks or months at a time so......
But yah. This is just crazy. And dire

Meanwhile here in Texas

View attachment 308020
(Bloomberg) -- With ICU beds down to a single digit, Austin sounded the alarm Saturday, using its emergency alert system to let residents in the Texas capital city know that the local state of the pandemic is “dire.” More at link . . .

well that’s dire alright :(
I did see somewhere recently-no link- that Covid icu patients in this wave aren’t lingering in their icu beds for weeks or months at a time so......
But yah. This is just crazy. And dire

Even more worrisome, burnout and fatigue by health care providers. At some point, many of these folks are going to be done.

It is an interesting political "hot potato" for unions. Won't go too deep into the political weeds...but many of my personal friends are involved in this situation from a union side. The issue is problematic.

Doctors agree on benefits of face masks for students when school starts – The Oakland Press

I was looking at the Covid precautions for several local school districts and didn't notice mask mandates on any of the sites. In the above article, I see that Troy (where we lived for 19 years while DD was growing up) is already encountering parental pushback on masks for students. I have a feeling that the start of the school year will not be pretty. Strong teacher unions in these parts which could also factor in to the melee.

My
My mistake. No one we have heard of has died of Covid. Plenty of people we know have caught it. Very sorry for wrong post.

Seriously? Not one person has had Covid, out of 2,000 people in Southern California. Amazing.

I live in Montana, with a much smaller base, out of 50 people I personally know, 10 had Covid, two people died. Two people, who I knew, died from Covid. Just saying that is awful.

Meanwhile here in Texas

View attachment 308020

Those beds were likely in use before this article went to print. I wonder if there is an equal uptick in the vaccination rate.

'All the beds are taken up by Covid victims': Hospitals in the South are running out of space or staff
Covid-19 hospitalizations are reaching all-time highs in parts of the South, with some patients unable to get the care they would normally receive.
Susan Walker has been calling out-of-state hospitals trying to get help for her husband, who did not get vaccinated against Covid-19 and is now in a medically induced coma.
"He is on a ventilator and in dire need of an ECMO treatment, which is not available at the hospital that he is in," the Florida mother said Sunday.
"All the beds are taken up by Covid victims also getting ECMO."
Covid-19 hospitalizations are reaching all-time highs in parts of the South, with some patients unable to get the care they would normally receive.
Susan Walker has been calling out-of-state hospitals trying to get help for her husband, who did not get vaccinated against Covid-19 and is now in a medically induced coma.
An ECMO treatment uses external machinery that can function as the heart and lungs. It's been used in some severely ill Covid-19 patients, including young adults.
"We have searched every hospital from the south of Florida to the north part of Florida" trying to find availability, Walker said.
"To transfer him to a hospital in Florida is next to impossible."
Across the country, states are struggling to fend off the Delta variant -- the most contagious strain of coronavirus yet.
But the situation is particularly worrisome in several Southern states.
Louisiana set a new record for Covid-19 hospitalizations last week.
Yes, children can be affected by Covid-19. Here's why doctors say they need to be protected
Florida's hospitalizations recently jumped 13% above the state's previous peak on July 23, 2020, according to a survey by the Florida Hospital Association.
The FHA said it expects 60% of the state's hospitals to face a "critical staffing shortage" by this week.
And at Houston's United Memorial Medical Center, "We have no beds. The emergency department is full of patients just waiting to be able to get into the hospital," Chief of Staff Dr. Joseph Varon said Sunday morning.
More at link . . .
US coronavirus: 'All the beds are taken up by Covid victims': Hospitals in the South are running out of space or staff - CNN

From that link
And at Houston's United Memorial Medical Center, "We have no beds. The emergency department is full of patients just waiting to be able to get into the hospital," Chief of Staff Dr. Joseph Varon said Sunday morning.
"Over the last 12 hours, we have lost more patients than ... in the last five to six weeks."

Well If that’s accurate. Just. Yikes.

'All the beds are taken up by Covid victims': Hospitals in the South are running out of space or staff
"He is on a ventilator and in dire need of an ECMO treatment, which is not available at the hospital that he is in," the Florida mother said Sunday.
"All the beds are taken up by Covid victims also getting ECMO."
An ECMO treatment uses external machinery that can function as the heart and lungs. It's been used in some severely ill Covid-19 patients, including young adults.
"We have searched every hospital from the south of Florida to the north part of Florida" trying to find availability, Walker said.
"To transfer him to a hospital in Florida is next to impossible."
Across the country, states are struggling to fend off the Delta variant -- the most contagious strain of coronavirus yet.
But the situation is particularly worrisome in several Southern states.
Louisiana set a new record for Covid-19 hospitalizations last week.
Yes, children can be affected by Covid-19. Here's why doctors say they need to be protected
Florida's hospitalizations recently jumped 13% above the state's previous peak on July 23, 2020, according to a survey by the Florida Hospital Association.
The FHA said it expects 60% of the state's hospitals to face a "critical staffing shortage" by this week.
More at link . . .
US coronavirus: 'All the beds are taken up by Covid victims': Hospitals in the South are running out of space or staff - CNN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli