Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #98

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also from that same link
They did away with the waiting 90 days after having covid at some point?

"If you have had Covid-19 before, please still get vaccinated," CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky said Friday.
There is no minimum time to wait between recovering from Covid-19 and getting vaccinated, the CDC said.

For Seniors Especially, COVID Can Be Stealthy :cool:

People expect fever, cough, shortness of breath but when the researchers combed through the electronic health records of nearly 5,000 people, all older than 65, who were hospitalized for COVID at a dozen Northwell hospitals in March and April 2020, they found that one-third had arrived with other symptoms, unexpected ones.

2fca1fa0-f85b-11eb-87fa-f7b08eb80080

Rosemary Bily outside her house in Oceanside, NY. She and her husband, Eugene, and their son-in-law Rich Lamanno contracted Covid in March of 2020 after attending a family party. They all survived.

With widespread vaccination, the symptoms of COVID-19 in older adults may become even more subtle. Something as vague as weakness, confusion or appetite loss might signal a COVID infection.

Fevers are easy to measure, and difficulty breathing will send anyone to an emergency room, Carney pointed out, whereas “we don’t necessarily notice if someone has stopped eating.”

Also from that same link
They did away with the waiting 90 days after having covid at some point?

"If you have had Covid-19 before, please still get vaccinated," CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky said Friday.
There is no minimum time to wait between recovering from Covid-19 and getting vaccinated, the CDC said.

From my understanding, the waiting period was only to allow others to get their vaccination (supply-related).
Because people who had covid had enough antibodies to sustain them for a little while.

Now that vaccines are expiring on the shelf, presumably the supply is more than adequate.

My understanding was that natural immunity was believed to last about 3 months, which is why those previously infected should have waited 3 months. When I was signing up for my vaccine, a form asked if I had covid less than 3 months ago.

I'm looking at South Carolina's case numbers and I'm getting pretty concerned:

July 8th - 261 new cases
Aug 6th - 3,273 new cases

That's pretty darn dramatic.

We have only a 45% vax rate and our governor (similar to DeSantis in FL) has banned mask mandates at daycares, schools, and colleges. Also banned asking for proof of vaccination.

We still have hospital and ICU beds available, so that's a good thing. But this is going in the absolute wrong direction. I rarely see people in masks and social distancing has gone out the window, too.

The president of the American Federation of Teachers, Randi Weingarten, went further, calling for vaccine mandates for teachers. “As a matter of personal conscience, I think that we need to be working with our employers, not opposing them, on vaccine mandates,” she told NBC’s Meet The Press.
That shift was previewed last week when Weingarten said she would consider supporting vaccine mandates to keep students and staff safe and schools open.
Fears as more children falling ill in latest US Covid surge and school approaches

... children now account for more than a fifth of new coronavirus cases in states that release data by age, according to the American Academy of Pediatrics. It's a statistic that may surprise many: Just one year ago, child COVID-19 cases made up only around 3% of the U.S. total.
Fears as more children falling ill in latest US Covid surge and school approaches

Couple of random NC articles from today’s Twitter
Oh and plus a nursing shortage in the area - everywhere- but related articles not linked
'The ICU is completely filled:' COVID surge taking a toll on frontline workers | abc11.com

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/coronavirus/article253349428.html
One Triangle county sees over 4,000 new cases in two weeks, as NC battles delta variant

Wake County, the largest county by population in the state, saw 4,113 new cases over a 14-day period ending Friday. That’s 370 new cases per 100,000 residents.

While the raw number of new cases in Wake was among the highest of any county in the state, the relative transmission rates of others were even higher. In neighboring Johnston and Harnett counties, new cases shot to over 400 per 100,000 residents. Lee County saw 547 new cases per 100,000 residents in the past two weeks.

I have been carefully watching the Covid stats in my city. We were at almost zero, mid July. Then, there was a large community event, outdoor concert and fireworks.

The Covid rate has been literally quantified daily since the end of July. It was definitely a "super spreader" event. All outside. No masks.

I'm looking at South Carolina's case numbers and I'm getting pretty concerned:

July 8th - 261 new cases
Aug 6th - 3,273 new cases

That's pretty darn dramatic.

We have only a 45% vax rate and our governor (similar to DeSantis in FL) has banned mask mandates at daycares, schools, and colleges. Also banned asking for proof of vaccination.

We still have hospital and ICU beds available, so that's a good thing. But this is going in the absolute wrong direction. I rarely see people in masks and social distancing has gone out the window, too.

Others share your concern.

"The world needs a reality check," health expert warns as COVID surges

The big picture: Last week the world surpassed 200 million global COVID-19 infections, a milestone that pointed toward an accelerating spread. It took about a year for the world to reach 100 million cases, and only six months to double that, the New York Times reported.
  • NIAID director Anthony Fauci said last week that he fears an even more deadly strain of the virus could be imminent as lagging vaccination rates allow the virus to continue mutating.
  • Other variants, such as Delta Plus and Lambda, are already cropping up.
What they're saying: “The world needs a reality check," Maria Van Kerkhove, an epidemiologist at the World Health Organization, told the Post, adding that the world should be prepared for more variants.
  • “It’s like we’ve been to this movie several times in the last year and a half, and it doesn’t end well. Somehow, we’re running the tape again. It’s all predictable,” Francis S. Collins, director of the National Institutes of Health, told the Post about the cycle of prematurely easing restrictions only to have cases surge.

Others share your concern.

"The world needs a reality check," health expert warns as COVID surges

The big picture: Last week the world surpassed 200 million global COVID-19 infections, a milestone that pointed toward an accelerating spread. It took about a year for the world to reach 100 million cases, and only six months to double that, the New York Times reported.
  • NIAID director Anthony Fauci said last week that he fears an even more deadly strain of the virus could be imminent as lagging vaccination rates allow the virus to continue mutating.
  • Other variants, such as Delta Plus and Lambda, are already cropping up.
What they're saying: “The world needs a reality check," Maria Van Kerkhove, an epidemiologist at the World Health Organization, told the Post, adding that the world should be prepared for more variants.
  • “It’s like we’ve been to this movie several times in the last year and a half, and it doesn’t end well. Somehow, we’re running the tape again. It’s all predictable,” Francis S. Collins, director of the National Institutes of Health, told the Post about the cycle of prematurely easing restrictions only to have cases surge.
I honestly don't think people quite understand yet that the virus has changed. We are not dealing with the same wild virus that emerged in China back in 2019. Delta is an entirely different beast that immediately takes advantage of the slightest opportunity. It thrives on our repeated mistakes. Loosening of restrictions, banned mask mandates, low rates of vaccination.

Our deluded demands to "return to normal" is what is directly feeding this pathogen like an all you can eat buffet. I mean, how hard is it to understand that in order to slow or stop this beast we simply need to stop feeding it new hosts? By any and all means necessary.

I honestly don't think people quite understand yet that the virus has changed. We are not dealing with the same wild virus that emerged in China back in 2019. Delta is an entirely different beast that immediately takes advantage of the slightest opportunity. It thrives on our repeated mistakes. Loosening of restrictions, banned mask mandates, low rates of vaccination.

Our deluded demands to "return to normal" is what is directly feeding this pathogen like an all you can eat buffet. I mean, how hard is it to understand that in order to slow or stop this beast we simply need to stop feeding it new hosts? By any and all means necessary.
I know. We are even having huge gatherings, for crying out loud. Is this really a good time to have huge concerts or motorcycle rallies? Even if it's outside, there is going to be infections galore, because these people are packed in there like sardines.

I know. We are even having huge gatherings, for crying out loud. Is this really a good time to have huge concerts or motorcycle rallies? Even if it's outside, there is going to be infections galore, because these people are packed in there like sardines.
I've lost almost my entire social circle at this point. "Hey Marlena! Come out to xyz to celebrate <whatever>!" "Hey Marlena! We're having a huge birthday bash for John! Would love to see you there!" "Hey Marlena! A bunch of us are headed to Myrtle Beach for the weekend! It will be a blast!"

They continue to do this, even though many of them have contracted covid and a few have actually died. I can't wrap my head around it. Clueless. Just clueless.

Ummm.....no. No, thank you. I will stay in my bubble of masked, socially distanced, vaccinated sane people. I'm not interested in adding to the problem.

IF I still had school age children, I would do all I could right now to keep them out of a school setting. Masks or not. What a horrible dilemma for parents!
We need more data on this Delta variant. It's very concerning that it's making the young and our children sick now. MOO.

"I mean, how hard is it to understand that in order to slow or stop this beast we simply need to stop feeding it new hosts? By any and all means necessary.[/QUOTE]"

By the way, your owl has mesmerizing eyes.

Seems to me that schools and colleges going at normal speed would feed the beast till it's full. All means necessary would be vaccination passes to do things and remote learning again, keep working at home, Gov $, eviction housing help, etc.... But I'm not sure ?

IF I still had school age children, I would do all I could right now to keep them out of a school setting. Masks or not. What a horrible dilemma for parents!
We need more data on this Delta variant. It's very concerning that it's making the young and our children sick now. MOO.
We don't need more data on this Delta variant. We know it is highly virulent. We know it is highly transmissible. We know it is conquering even vaccinated people. We know it is overwhelming children at this point.

What more do we need to know? The adults need to get off their butts and get vaccinated. We need a vaccine booster specifically designed for Delta. We need to provide protection for children at school. We need to vaccinate the children once it's approved.

We don't need to know anything more about Delta. We need to get off our @sses and do something about it.

Seems to me that schools and colleges going at normal speed would feed the beast till it's full. All means necessary would be vaccination passes to do things and remote learning again, keep working at home, Gov $, eviction housing help, etc.... But I'm not sure ?
In theory, the concept is quite simple. Interrupt transmission by every avenue possible. This means cutting off every feasible route of an infected person infecting others. Isolate them when they test positive. Trace their contacts and isolate them, too. Develop preventative drugs for at risk contacts. Masking up everybody to minimize viral particles in the air. Vaccinate the eligible population. Curb large gatherings.

It requires a multi-faceted approach to drive down the number of people each infected person can infect in turn.

I understand there are economic and political factors at play here. But from a pure epidemiological standpoint, this is really the only way to go about it.

I've lost almost my entire social circle at this point. "Hey Marlena! Come out to xyz to celebrate <whatever>!" "Hey Marlena! We're having a huge birthday bash for John! Would love to see you there!" "Hey Marlena! A bunch of us are headed to Myrtle Beach for the weekend! It will be a blast!"

They continue to do this, even though many of them have contracted covid and a few have actually died. I can't wrap my head around it. Clueless. Just clueless.

Ummm.....no. No, thank you. I will stay in my bubble of masked, socially distanced, vaccinated sane people. I'm not interested in adding to the problem.
lol I know what you mean. I recently told my husband that I feel I've now become a cave dweller. lol. We're fully vaccinated. We go out when we absolutely need to and always wear a mask. The only people I really socialize with now are my adult children and their spouses. We get together once a week or every other week for outdoor BBQ's and we are all fully vaccinated.

We don't need more data on this Delta variant. We know it is highly virulent. We know it is highly transmissible. We know it is conquering even vaccinated people. We know it is overwhelming children at this point.

What more do we need to know? The adults need to get off their butts and get vaccinated. We need a vaccine booster specifically designed for Delta. We need to provide protection for children at school. We need to vaccinate the children once it's approved.

We don't need to know anything more about Delta. We need to get off our @sses and do something about it.
I agree!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member