Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #98

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kids sick with Covid are filling up children's hospitals in areas seeing spikes (nbcnews.com)

“Absolutely household infections are the beginning of this pandemic, that is a major driving force in the spread of infections. We see it often within households, parents to children,” a pediatrician said.

As vaccination rates lag and the new delta variant surges, Covid infection rates among kids have risen and children’s hospitals are seeing a spike in medical care needs among the young patients.

The Covid surge is also stacking upon an unseasonable spike in respiratory illnesses among children typically seen only in winter. That has shrunk the bed space further in children's hospitals and expanded on the unrelenting demand on doctors and nurses.

“It is scary, especially for kids who don’t fully understand what’s going on. They’re air hungry, struggling for breath, and it’s just scary,” said Dr. Kelechi Iheagwara, medical director of the pediatric intensive care unit at the Our Lady of the Lake Children’s Hospital in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. “You have the illness, the fear, they can’t breathe, they’re isolated — that’s hard for anyone to understand, but can you imagine what it’s like for a kid?”...

I'm wondering what the dentist can do with mine, some of one side of the tooth fell out with the filling and it's right next to an expensive bridge I had done a few years ago.

Re asking if staff is vaccinated, I hadn't thought of that, but I did think they might ask me if I was, so I fished out the two post vaccine emails I got from the medical practise, ready for if I get asked. It's not the official one on Mygov health site, I still have to figure out how to get those to show on my phone.

I'm in a similar boat... I have a tooth that just broke off in my mouth..

A judge ordered a man to get a covid vaccine as condition of his probation - CNN

I don't like this. It is a huge line, when a judge can court order someone to under go an invasive medical procedure.

This may seem like not a big deal, but it opens a door to considerable judicial over reach INMO. If this is allowed, on a slippery slope, what could be next?
I have no problem with it. If he refuses to get vaccinated, instead of probation he can spend some time in jail. His choice. I don't believe he is entitled to probation without conditions.

Covid hospitalizations surge in US south as unvaccinated urged to get shots

The state of Louisiana now leads the nation in new Covid cases as the Delta variant rips through a region with some of the lowest vaccination rates in the US. Last Friday, the Louisiana department of health announced a daily increase of 6,116 positive Covid cases, with 2,421 people now hospitalized with the virus including 277 on ventilators. With just 37% of residents fully vaccinated, state data indicated that unvaccinated people accounted for 90% of hospitalizations in the state. 181 people died from the virus in Louisiana last week.

In neighboring Mississippi, where only 35% of residents are fully vaccinated, Covid hospitalizations are also soaring. There are currently 1,242 hospitalized Covid patients in the state, with 319 of those in the ICU, according to state health department data. The soaring numbers mean that, as of last Friday, there were only 42 adult ICU beds available in the state. The state’s top health official warned last Thursday that the Delta variant was “sweeping across Mississippi like a tsunami”.

Officials in Alabama, which also has a fully vaccinated rate of just 35%, have reported a surge in hospitalizations as well, with the vast majority receiving care being unvaccinated. On Friday the state’s health officer announced that 93% of Alabama’s ICU beds were now full with 1,923 people hospitalized with the virus.

In Georgia, which has a slightly higher rate of 40% fully vaccinated, Covid-19 hospitalizations are still continuing to climb, with some hospitals in the Atlanta metro area coming close to capacity by Friday.

I have no problem with it. If he refuses to get vaccinated, instead of probation he can spend some time in jail. His choice. I don't believe he is entitled to probation without conditions.

Judges order people with mental health issues to take medications that are prescribed to prevent these individuals from harming themselves or others. Covid vaccine protects individual and others.

Judge allowing offenders to get COVID vaccine in place of community service hours

BATON ROUGE - At least one judge in East Baton Rouge is offering some people on probation the option to get the coronavirus vaccine in place of some of their court-mandated service hours.
(…)
Prosecutors say judges offering unique alternatives to community service is nothing new.

"Judges do innovative things like this all the time. For example, you have probably seen or heard in the past the judge would allow your donation of blood instead of community service work or instead of payment of the fine," District Attorney Hillar Moore explained. "If a judge is going to make this offer, I think it's a reasonable one."
(…)
Judge Crifasi released the following statement Wednesday.

"This is my point of view: Getting vaccinated is a service to the community. We are currently in a serious predicament in Louisiana. So, if a probation candidate is inclined to get vaccinated, I will grant credit for that effort towards any requirement of community service. The amount of hours varies and depends on the person’s circumstances. It is not a mandate. If a person is not inclined, they do not have to do it. They will simply need to meet their requirement through the usual avenue of completing approved service."

Excessive Sneezing! That's a new one.

The signs you have the Delta variant are different than original COVID-19

The Delta variant may look and act very similar to the original strain of COVID-19, but doctors have noticed some differences.

Fever and cough are present in both types, but headaches, sinus congestion, sore throats and runny noses all appear to be more common with the Delta strain. Excessive sneezing is also a symptom.

Loss of taste and smell, considered a hallmark symptom of the original virus, may happen less frequently.

Hundreds of Tennesseans being placed on ventilators, hundreds more in ICU

As of Sunday, August 8, the Tennessee Department of Health (TDH) 1,702 hospitalizations with 501 cases in the ICU and 247 on ventilators. It is a concerning trend given based on the data, there were 101 vent cases and 227 ICU cases just two weeks ago on July 25.

With previous variants, for every person infected, they would infect 1-2 others.

With Delta, Dr. Piercey says for every person sick, they are spreading it to 5 others.

Also known by many around here as “oh I just have allergies” :mad::confused:o_O mmmk

ETA I think employers should ask for a drs note. “This person has a history of allergies whatever” Imo. You shouldn’t be working with. Cold type symptoms. Sorry. Send them home.

Excessive Sneezing! That's a new one.

The signs you have the Delta variant are different than original COVID-19

The Delta variant may look and act very similar to the original strain of COVID-19, but doctors have noticed some differences.

Fever and cough are present in both types, but headaches, sinus congestion, sore throats and runny noses all appear to be more common with the Delta strain. Excessive sneezing is also a symptom.

Loss of taste and smell, considered a hallmark symptom of the original virus, may happen less frequently.

Iran says one person dying of COVID-19 every two minutes

One person is now dying from COVID-19 every two minutes in Iran, state TV said on Monday, as the Middle East’s worst-hit nation reported a new record daily toll of 588 fatalities.
"With authorities complaining of poor social distancing, state media say hospitals in several cities have run out of beds for new patients. Some social media users have criticised the clerical establishment over slow vaccinations, with only about 4% of the 83 million population fully inoculated.

Total deaths have reached 94,603, the ministry said, while cases rose by 40,808 in the past 24 hours to 4,199,537 in a fifth wave blamed on the highly transmissible Delta variant.

In January, Iran's top authority Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei banned imports of U.S.- and British-made vaccines, saying they were unreliable and may propagate the infection."

smh. Nearly 41,000 new cases a day and they ban the import of safe, effective vaccines. I guess they really showed us, huh?

This Delta sounds so much like what @dixiegirl1035 and I had in the beginning of June. I talked to my doctor about it, she said it was probably just a bad cold...who knows?!

And BTW, employers "say" don't come to work sick...but the reality is the same, sickness is not really tolerated in the work environment, calling in sick, that is...just saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammyb1025