Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #98

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've lost almost my entire social circle at this point. "Hey Marlena! Come out to xyz to celebrate <whatever>!" "Hey Marlena! We're having a huge birthday bash for John! Would love to see you there!" "Hey Marlena! A bunch of us are headed to Myrtle Beach for the weekend! It will be a blast!"

They continue to do this, even though many of them have contracted covid and a few have actually died. I can't wrap my head around it. Clueless. Just clueless.

Ummm.....no. No, thank you. I will stay in my bubble of masked, socially distanced, vaccinated sane people. I'm not interested in adding to the problem.

That is sad. And not unlike us. We have stopped attending church, no more parties. Our lives are slower, closer. No more travel. Zero social outings. I don't even like to go out to dinner, or shopping.

lol I know what you mean. I recently told my husband that I feel I've now become a cave dweller. lol. We're fully vaccinated. We go out when we absolutely need to and always wear a mask. The only people I really socialize with now are my adult children and their spouses. We get together once a week or every other week for outdoor BBQ's and we are all fully vaccinated.
I had to fire my housekeeping service, after many years, because I demanded service from only vaccinated staff. Even after explaining to them that I am at high risk for covid due to heart problems and required vaccinated staff, they refused to budge.

It was a shame, because they had always provided excellent service, but could not simply send vaccinated staff to my home. So I had to let them go. The new service does provide vaccinated staff, but they are not as thorough as the previous company. But that's okay. Better to have dust bunnies in the corners than covid.

That is sad. And not unlike us. We have stopped attending church, no more parties. Our lives are slower, closer. No more travel. Zero social outings. I don't even like to go out to dinner, or shopping.
I don't go out to dinner or shopping either. Groceries are delivered by Harris Teeter or Doordash if I don't feel like cooking. Amazon takes care of the rest. My prescriptions are delivered as well, so there is really no reason for me to interact with the public. I've never been a "social butterfly" and don't miss that nonsense at all.

You know, I honestly thought that America had a good handle on this pandemic.
Lot's of free vaccines EVERYWHERE.
Low infections, children not affected.
I was joyous to throw my masking away.
Our customers were happy to finally leave their lockdown and re-enter some sort of normalacy.
Even after all of my research and reading, I don't know what to think.

The president of the American Federation of Teachers, Randi Weingarten, went further, calling for vaccine mandates for teachers. “As a matter of personal conscience, I think that we need to be working with our employers, not opposing them, on vaccine mandates,” she told NBC’s Meet The Press.
That shift was previewed last week when Weingarten said she would consider supporting vaccine mandates to keep students and staff safe and schools open.
Fears as more children falling ill in latest US Covid surge and school approaches

... children now account for more than a fifth of new coronavirus cases in states that release data by age, according to the American Academy of Pediatrics. It's a statistic that may surprise many: Just one year ago, child COVID-19 cases made up only around 3% of the U.S. total.
Fears as more children falling ill in latest US Covid surge and school approaches

Here is a question.
When one of the most powerful Man in the world throws a huge. Party with over 500 people in a tent (tents do not breathe, at all).
What is the message to All of us?
If you're vaccinated, go ahead and party down?
What do they know that we don't?
I REALLY want to know-!

You know, I honestly thought that America had a good handle on this pandemic.
Lot's of free vaccines EVERYWHERE.
Low infections, children not affected.
I was joyous to throw my masking away.
Our customers were happy to finally leave their lockdown and re-enter some sort of normalacy.
Even after all of my research and reading, I don't know what to think.

It seems fairly easy to understand, I think. In essence ....

• Delta variant is a mutation of the original virus, it was first discovered in India.
  • It has since travelled to many countries, inside various human hosts.
  • The viral load inside a person infected with Delta is 1,000 times more than the viral load inside a person infected with the original virus. It has been measured.
  • When a Delta-infected person exhales aerosol droplets, they exhale 1,000 times more of the virus than if they had the original virus.
  • You can walk past a Delta-infected person who is exhaling aerosol droplets and MUCH more easily catch the virus. Due to 1,000 times more of the virus being in their aerosol droplets.
  • The unvaccinated have no defense, when unmasked.
  • Little children (due to being unvaccinated) have no defense, when unmasked.
  • Vaccinated people have some defense, but it is limited to a defense against the original virus, and seems to work somewhat against Delta also. It allows most vaccinated persons to not get seriously ill and die.
  • 93% of the USA's covid cases are Delta. It has now far surpassed any other variant.
  • Delta is also the dominant strain in the UK and in Australia (it was brought to Australia by a US flight crew).
  • Each Delta-infected person will potentially infect 8-9 other people with the Delta variant.

Links have all been provided throughout the threads.

Last edited:
lol I know what you mean. I recently told my husband that I feel I've now become a cave dweller. lol. We're fully vaccinated. We go out when we absolutely need to and always wear a mask. The only people I really socialize with now are my adult children and their spouses. We get together once a week or every other week for outdoor BBQ's and we are all fully vaccinated.
That's my life exactly. Once a week we go to see one or all of the children and their families. We hang out in the yard and BBQ. Today we saw our daughter and her boyfriend and their pups.

Next week we are all getting together. We haven't been wearing masks with immediate family for the past month or two. But now, with Delta, and with my granddaughter going to kindergarten twice a week, 3 x remotely, ----I feel like we should be masked again next week...:oops:

My son and my daughters boyfriend both get tested twice a week at work. So I have been feeling pretty safe seeing them all. But who knows anymore?

Have to go to the dentist tomorrow, a filling fell out. I think I've become scared of going out.

I know my bank account is feeling nervous too :)

Do you have many cases in your area, Toots? I don't think Gladys has locked you down yet, has she?

(I say 'yet' because so many of us wish she would just lock the whole state down for a bit, and stop people from moving around. What she is doing is not having much effect yet, and will potentially extend the lockdowns.)

Except for fresh groceries, I've become a total online shopper. In a way it makes me feel bad because I want to support local businesses, but many of them don't deliver.

South, no so far there are no cases here and we're not locked down. There was a scare re someone Covid positive visiting here and Orange, and Blayney but so far there was only one case in Blayney and it looks like they got that early enough.

But I've become scared to go out because I seem to catch everything going around, one thing after the other, even though I had the flu shot, but a bit later than I usually do, due to having the Covid shot. I still tire easily from this 5 week thing I had. Got checked out over that, a nasty bug my Dr said.

I'm trying to stay away from everyone. I think my immunity is not as good as it was.

Do you have many cases in your area, Toots? I don't think Gladys has locked you down yet, has she?

South, no so far there are no cases here and we're not locked down. There was a scare re someone Covid positive visiting here and Orange, and Blayney but so far there was only one case in Blayney and it looks like they got that early enough.

But I've become scared to go out because I seem to catch everything going around, one thing after the other, even though I had the flu shot, but a bit later than I usually do, due to having the Covid shot. I still tire easily from this 5 week thing I had. Got checked out over that, a nasty bug my Dr said.

I'm trying to stay away from everyone. I think my immunity is not as good as it was.

Stay safe. I am sure your dentist's office will be very good with infection control.

I was at mine this morning. Everybody masked, QR code check in, mandatory hand sanitising at the entrance (they checked), temperature check at reception along with the do-you-feel-well questions, socially distanced in the waiting area, dentist was double masked (had smiling eyes though :) ), had scrubs on, and put fresh gloves on in front of me.

Last edited:
Thanks South :)

I'm sure all precautions will be taken by the dentist and staff and of course by me as well.

Just hope I don't run into some of the people I know, who insist on stopping for a long chat and try to get in your face, while I do the backing away dance like the last time I went out :)

I'll be walking down as I only live about 3 blocks from the CBD area.

Stay safe. I am sure your dentist's office will be very good with infection control.

I was at mine this morning. Everybody masked, QR code check in, mandatory hand sanitising at the entrance (they checked), temperature check at reception along with the do-you-feel-well questions, socially distanced in the waiting area, dentist was double masked (had smiling eyes though :) ), had scrubs on, and put fresh gloves on in front of me.

At least you have a partner to dwell with!! Ha ha ....

As I gradually go back to more and more isolation... I just start to "feel" that life is now meant to be in isolation. Its not exactly a "depression, but it really leaves a void in zest for life.
My husband died in 2019, the year before.... and a number of his buddies kept stopping by just to chat and so forth. And my various women's groups were so active, and spontaneous get togethers, dinners were just so common.

And it is relief when your kids are vaccinated.

My kids are fully vaccinated as well. BUT I have many friends who have kids that are not. They are in such anguish over this. I don't think younger unvaccinated folks understand this.

Have to go to the dentist tomorrow, a filling fell out. I think I've become scared of going out.

I know my bank account is feeling nervous too :)

I'm in a similar boat... I have a tooth that just broke off in my mouth...
I know the office will be well sanitized--but can I ask if anyone attending me is fully vaccinated? It is not a generalized question, so I would probably be invading privacy by asking specifically of the people attending me? Not the best scenario when someone is digging around my mouth....

But WOW... I CAN go on a cruise now, and NOT have to ask who is vaccinated! ha ha ha ha..... yeah, right.

I am so glad the judge ruled against DeSantis on this one.
I just cannot see how the cruise industry can survive without being able to require vaccines. Not sure how they are going to survive anyway, but we don't need those horrible reports of a bunch of sick people stranded on a boat.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/08/nor...-passengers-to-be-vaccinated-judge-rules.html

But WOW... I CAN go on a cruise now, and NOT have to ask who is vaccinated! ha ha ha ha..... yeah, right.

I am so glad the judge ruled against DeSantis on this one.
I just cannot see how the cruise industry can survive without being able to require vaccines. Not sure how they are going to survive anyway, but we don't need those horrible reports of a bunch of sick people stranded on a boat.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/08/nor...-passengers-to-be-vaccinated-judge-rules.html

Does this mean that the judge may pave the way for all businesses in FL to require vaccinations, if they want to?
Depending how the 'discrimination' challenge goes, of course.
I hope the health and safety aspect ultimately wins.

"Norwegian Cruise Line said Sunday that a federal judge ruled to temporarily halt enforcement of a Florida law prohibiting businesses from requiring customers to show proof of vaccination."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseHase