Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #99

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. First dose in January.

“Jesse Jackson, a famed civil rights leader, is vaccinated against the virus and received his first dose in January during a publicized event as he urged others to receive the inoculation as soon as possible. The two are being treated at Northwestern Memorial Hospital in Chicago.”
What about his wife? Doesn’t mention her vaccination.

“But the couple was unsure about the coronavirus vaccine due to conflicting viewpoints on their social media feeds and in conversations.

She said that they didn’t “know hardly anybody that had gotten real sick and figured we would be OK.”

Josh himself in the spring shared an article critical of Dr. Anthony Fauci, writing, “this is why I don't believe 99.9% of what's said about this virus.”

Critically ill Covid patients are less likely to die or to require invasive ventilation if they lay on their stomachs while receiving oxygen, a global research project has found.

The study looked at the impact of the technique, known as awake prone positioning, on more than 1,000 patients with severe coronavirus in hospitals in six countries.

It found that putting patients in this position while they received high-flow nasal cannula oxygen reduced death and the need for invasive mechanical ventilation.

The study’s findings have been published in The Lancet Respiratory Medicine.

Coronavirus live news: UK reports 32,253 new cases as Ho Chi Minh City prepares for lockdown

It surprises me that there continues to be headlines about adults under age 50 dying from covid. That story has been in the news now for 16 months. It's not news anymore. Covid kills people of all ages globally. People who don't want to be vaccinated, regardless of reasons, are at higher risk than those who are vaccinated. Vaccinated and unvaccinated people are still dying of covid.

They got their information from social media, sounds like.
Now he is dead.

Hmmm the vast majority of the scientific and medical communities or outspoken public figures with an obvious political agenda...

Whom to believe? It's truly a hard one. What a difficult dilemma.

/Sarcasm.

JMO, but I think much of society has lost the ability to think critically for themselves. My father-in-law is a prime example of this. He seeks out ridiculous conspiracy theories to confirm his own bias and paranoia. He'd rather believe his feelings/intuition are more true than facts coming from experts. When questioned about 'why' and 'how' people are supposedly being manipulated and controlled by Big Pharma and global governments, he gets more and more vague and defensive. It's really disheartening to deal with.

No amount of peer-reviewed, scientific studies can convince him. He'd rather listen to some new age YouTube personality who has absolutely no medical qualifications at all.

And yet after months of various family members trying to persuade him to get vaccinated, he has finally booked an appointment.

Perhaps it is not too late for some, after all.

I hate to be cynical, but perhaps the latest NZ lock down due to the Delta outbreak into the community has finally scared him into doing the right thing.

‘Absolutely nothing we can do:’ landlords, tenants struggle as ‘half measure’ moratorium pleases none

Eviction moratorium battle sheds light on struggling landlords who 'still have to find a way to pay'

The federal eviction moratorium, which has allowed struggling renters swamped by the fallout from COVID-19 to remain in their homes but left landlords mostly on the hook for unpaid rent, is starting to draw more fire from both camps.

Some 6.5 million renter households are behind on rent, according to U.S. Census Bureau data, with nearly 72% of them owing smaller “mom and pop” landlords.

That demographic is arguably one of the biggest losers in the current crisis, with the moratorium neither providing them financial relief or facilitating payment of the billions owed in back rent.

The policy “is so completely one-sided, that at some point it's going to tip,” complained Suzanne Antolini, a Long Island homeowner. She’s now over $50,000 in debt, due to an employed tenant refusing to make rent payments.

“Our hands are so tied that there's absolutely nothing we can do,” Antolini told Yahoo Finance in an interview.

Most evictions for unpaid rent have been halted since the early days of the pandemic, but 58% of smaller landlords with fewer than four units say they have tenants that are still behind on rent, according to the National Association of Realtors.

Property owners of all income levels are frustrated about the moratoriums — which some have challenged in court.

“One of the big challenges that we hear from our members is non-responsive residents and how to address that problem,” Paula Cinco, vice president the National Multifamily Housing Council, told Yahoo Finance.

For months, tenants and housing advocates have been sounding the alarm on the slow rollout of rent relief.

“We get dozens of emails and calls from tenants who have applied for money, who are desperate to receive that money, who are scared they're gonna lose their homes if they don't get it in time, but who haven't received that money yet,” Diane Yentel, CEO National Low Income Housing Coalition told Yahoo! Finance Live on Friday.

To that end, computer systems in several states have malfunctioned, preventing renters from applying.

While renters have been shielded from eviction under the federal ban, the financial challenge facing many tenants is squeezing working class landlords who rely on rent to pay their own bills.

Landlords are saddled with thousands of dollars in lost rent — money that they and their families could possibly never get back.

Last edited:
An excellent read.

Some Americans No Longer Believe in the Common Good

They now are thinking only of themselves.

Last week, Governor Andy Beshear imposed a mask mandate for our schools here in Kentucky. After the brief respite offered by vaccination, I know it is tough to go back to masking and social distancing. But the backlash was immediate and charged. Parents gathered in front of schools and central offices with signs bearing slogans such as Let Our Kids Breathe and My Kids, My Choice. They expressed their outrage on social media. Our attorney general, Daniel Cameron, a protégé of Mitch McConnell, filed a petition with the state’s supreme court to stop the mandate, despite the fact that cases in Kentucky are climbing to pre-vaccination rates.

Read: Parents are losing their minds over masks in schools

Jimmy Dyehouse, the superintendent of Science Hill Independent School District, near Somerset, not far from where my parents live, sent out a robocall to all the parents of the 440 students in his district announcing the mask mandate. On the recording, an exasperated Dyehouse apologized to parents for the fact that their kids would have to wear masks, called the governor “this liberal lunatic,” and said that he hoped the mandate would be overturned in court.

I spoke with Dyehouse because I wanted to understand exactly why he had such a problem with masks. He told me his students are “suffering” by wearing the masks, which were “nasty” and “unsanitary.” He said that many studies had proved that masks were ineffective. He didn’t cite any sources, but at least 49 scientific studies go against his claims, emphatically stating that masks are effective in the fight against COVID-19. Dyehouse feels that “the mental aspect of it on my little ones is more damaging than not wearing a mask,” claiming that it’s too scary for children to go into a school full of masked people. I brought up the idea that wearing a mask is a small sacrifice that could be seen as a patriotic duty, but he dismissed the notion. “Why should I have to wear a mask to help protect whoever, or somebody who chose not to be vaccinated, when they could put a mask on?” he told me. He didn’t seem to see any contradiction in the fact that his district includes only kindergarten through eighth grade, a tiny percentage of whom would be of age to get vaccinated. Besides, he added, he didn’t think that vaccination was going to get rid of the coronavirus, anyway.

After 74 days in hospital, St. Louis man says 'biggest regret of his life' was not getting COVID vaccine

61168c0fc56aa.image.jpg

Mike Prinzi spent 74 days at Mercy Hospital Washington after being infected with COVID-19.

ST. LOUIS (KMOV.com) – A father of four and a grandfather to three calls not getting the COVID-19 vaccine the “biggest regret of his life,” according to his son.

Mike Prinzi’s son, Eric, shared the story with Mercy. Eric disclosed that his dad and mom were both diagnosed with COVID-19 in April 2021. While mom recovered at home, dad was admitted to the ICU at Mercy Hospital Washington.

“Dad says, ‘You do not realize what this does to a family. How hard it is. I wish I could take it back,’” recalled Eric.

Mike was placed on a ventilator for 48 of the 74 days he was hospitalized. After being discharged from the hospital, Eric says his dad continues to receive extensive treatment and care at home.

“Regarding the COVID-19 vaccine, dad says, ‘There’s no excuse now not to get it. There are enough stories of people like me to show that this is real. Look at the numbers. Look at the number of people hospitalized without the vaccine.

It will find you like it found me.’ He goes on to say, ‘Trust the doctors and health care professionals, and think of them, too. What happens when they get burned out, or there aren’t enough of them? What are we going to do, handle this ourselves—no, we can’t. We need them,’” said Eric.

Eric remembered going to the hospital on his birthday to visit his father. He said while he was being checked in, the front desk staff sang “happy birthday” to him. “I could barely keep it together on the way to the elevator,” he recalled.

The family shared their story in hopes that it reaches at least one person who then chooses to get vaccinated.

I find myself at a loss for words. Resorting to shaking my head and grumbling. With a mask on for the greater good.
An excellent read.

They now are thinking only of themselves.

Last week, Governor Andy Beshear imposed a mask mandate for our schools here in Kentucky. After the brief respite offered by vaccination, I know it is tough to go back to masking and social distancing. But the backlash was immediate and charged. Parents gathered in front of schools and central offices with signs bearing slogans such as Let Our Kids Breathe and My Kids, My Choice. They expressed their outrage on social media. Our attorney general, Daniel Cameron, a protégé of Mitch McConnell, filed a petition with the state’s supreme court to stop the mandate, despite the fact that cases in Kentucky are climbing to pre-vaccination rates.

Read: Parents are losing their minds over masks in schools

Jimmy Dyehouse, the superintendent of Science Hill Independent School District, near Somerset, not far from where my parents live, sent out a robocall to all the parents of the 440 students in his district announcing the mask mandate. On the recording, an exasperated Dyehouse apologized to parents for the fact that their kids would have to wear masks, called the governor “this liberal lunatic,” and said that he hoped the mandate would be overturned in court.

I spoke with Dyehouse because I wanted to understand exactly why he had such a problem with masks. He told me his students are “suffering” by wearing the masks, which were “nasty” and “unsanitary.” He said that many studies had proved that masks were ineffective. He didn’t cite any sources, but at least 49 scientific studies go against his claims, emphatically stating that masks are effective in the fight against COVID-19. Dyehouse feels that “the mental aspect of it on my little ones is more damaging than not wearing a mask,” claiming that it’s too scary for children to go into a school full of masked people. I brought up the idea that wearing a mask is a small sacrifice that could be seen as a patriotic duty, but he dismissed the notion. “Why should I have to wear a mask to help protect whoever, or somebody who chose not to be vaccinated, when they could put a mask on?” he told me. He didn’t seem to see any contradiction in the fact that his district includes only kindergarten through eighth grade, a tiny percentage of whom would be of age to get vaccinated. Besides, he added, he didn’t think that vaccination was going to get rid of the coronavirus, anyway.

I was curious about school closures during 1918.

"During the influenza pandemic in 1918, even though the world was a very different place, the discussion was just as heated.

That pandemic killed an estimated 50 million people worldwide, including 675,000 Americans, before it was all over." (link)
Although the world population today is larger, the total deaths in the USA today is almost the same as total USA deaths during entire 1918 pandemic. We are still in the middle of the pandemic today.
upload_2021-8-22_17-34-57.png

(link)
Same article summarizes that school closures during 1918 pandemic was correct decision.

Last edited:

Really good article--the problem as I see it began when the CDC advised
vaccinated people to shed their masks-- they did this with some knowledge
that the Delta variant was on its way to the United States---what occurred
with this advice from the CDC is that very quickly people, vaccinated
and unvaccinated began to live life like the pandemic was history--
people attended large parties, sporting events, and other crowded
events, both indoors and outdoors, witbout masks, and despite this hideous surge of cases they continue to act in the same manner-- now we have the additional
issue of schools opening and we have a perfect storm for the disaster
we are experiencing. We now have a third of our populace in this country
that are misinformed, nasty and selfish, which threatens to keep us in
this dire situation for a long time.

Can you imagine how hard it will be for the poor teachers to keep track of mask exemptions in their classes! Basically, these are fake exemptions, designed to teach kids that it’s OK to disobey public health mandates. Do they understand the serious health consequences they’re risking? How are these kids going to treat the ones who wear masks because their parents insist? Pressure? Call them sissies? Bullying? Pull masks off? How are teachers going to protect themselves? Seems to me if you don’t want your child wearing a mask just do online learning. But no, it’s going to be the parents whose kids wear masks who end up having to pull them out of school to keep them (and the whole family) safe. :mad:
If I had children in school, I'd just pull them out and homeschool at this point. School boards change their minds and it would drive me nuts not feeling my kids are safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member