Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #99

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jacinda Ardern extends 'unfathomable' New Zealand lockdown while Australia aims to reopen borders | Daily Mail Online

New Zealand extends 'unfathomable' Covid lockdown while Australian PM declares current restrictions are 'not sustainable'
  • Jacinda Ardern extended New Zealand's lockdown until at least Friday 27 August
  • The city of Auckland meanwhile will stay locked down until the end of the month
  • New Zealand has seen an outbreak of 107 new cases in recent days
  • The opposition leader labelled Arden's decision 'unfathomable'
  • Meanwhile, the Australian PM says current lockdown policy is 'not sustainable'
  • He said states must open borders when 80% of the population is vaccinated
  • Covid outbreak in Sydney grew by 800 cases this weekend, near record levels

FDA grants full approval to Pfizer's Covid vaccine (nbcnews.com)

Experts praised the decision, saying approval could help ease some vaccine hesitancy and pave the way for more vaccination mandates.

The Food and Drug Administration granted full approval to Pfizer-BioNTech's two-dose vaccine Monday for people ages 16 and up, making it the first Covid-19 vaccine to pass this final regulatory hurdle.

"The FDA's approval of this vaccine is a milestone as we continue to battle the Covid-19 pandemic," Acting FDA Commissioner Dr. Janet Woodcock said in a statement. "While millions of people have already safely received Covid-19 vaccines, we recognize that for some, the FDA approval of a vaccine may now instill additional confidence to get vaccinated. Today's milestone puts us one step closer to altering the course of this pandemic in the U.S."...

Danton was a friend of mine and he passed away overnight from Covid complications at 50 years old. We graduated high school together. I hope his words to his wife will encourage people to get vaccinated. Unfortunately many of our fellow classmates and friends are not vaccinated.

“He sent me a text from the hospital,” she said. “He said, ‘Whatever you do, baby, get vaccinated. Get that shot for me.’ ”

Danton Barto, former Memphis great, dies from COVID-19

Calkins: Former Memphis great Danton Barto intubated and fighting for his life

I'm kind of torn on this--while I can understand how it's important to try and vaccinate more people in third-world nations, I also understand that the vaccines given to Americans and Europeans early this year are starting to wane, which puts them at risk as well.

I don't really think there's such a thing as a "global" vaccine supply, but I think it's morally imperative to help other nations.

Still, I know many of us here are anxiously awaiting a booster shot to protect ourselves.

WHO Calls For A Delay In Booster Shots To Prioritize Under-Vaccinated Countries

I'm kind of torn on this--while I can understand how it's important to try and vaccinate more people in third-world nations, I also understand that the vaccines given to Americans and Europeans early this year are starting to wane, which puts them at risk as well.

I don't really think there's such a thing as a "global" vaccine supply, but I think it's morally imperative to help other nations.

Still, I know many of us here are anxiously awaiting a booster shot to protect ourselves.

That ain't gonna happen: As someone on this thread already said, the government's job is to protect its citizens --- and with a booster they are doing that.

Danton was a friend of mine and he passed away overnight from Covid complications at 50 years old. We graduated high school together. I hope his words to his wife will encourage people to get vaccinated. Unfortunately many of our fellow classmates and friends are not vaccinated.

“He sent me a text from the hospital,” she said. “He said, ‘Whatever you do, baby, get vaccinated. Get that shot for me.’ ”

Danton Barto, former Memphis great, dies from COVID-19

Calkins: Former Memphis great Danton Barto intubated and fighting for his life

It feels heartless to say so, but so many people on their death beds speak as though they are the final authority on vaccinations.

"Whatever you do, baby, get vaccinated."

Yeah, well that has been the message from health professionals everywhere for several months now.

Sadly, at this point, those that are urging vaccinations with their dying breath are mostly speaking to the wind.

I agree GRT. It's a global issue. If we don't vaccinate the world, then the virus will mutate and undo all our efforts. We can't protect ourselves if we ignore the rest of the world.

AP-NORC poll: School mask, vaccine mandates supported in US (detroitnews.com)

Boston — As COVID-19 cases surge around the country, a majority of Americans say they support mask mandates for students and teachers in K-12 schools, according to a new poll, but their views are sharply divided along political lines.

About 6 in 10 Americans say students and teachers should be required to wear face masks while in school, according to a poll from The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research. Similar shares say teachers and eligible students should also be required to receive a COVID-19 vaccine.

Masks have been a point of contention as U.S. schools reopen amid rising numbers of coronavirus cases. Questions about whether to require them have caused turmoil among parents and politicians, with some Republican governors banning mask mandates even as President Joe Biden threatens legal action against them...

I agree GRT. It's a global issue. If we don't vaccinate the world, then the virus will mutate and undo all our efforts. We can't protect ourselves if we ignore the rest of the world.

I'm afraid mutations are going to be the norm--and they could easily happen in the US, since so many are opting not to get vaccinated.

That also makes me wonder if vaccinated folks who catch breakthrough infections are a big (or small) risk for mutations.

Covid England: 45% of Delta hospital patients only test positive AFTER admission | Daily Mail Online

More than four in 10 patients hospitalised with the Delta variant in England may have been admitted for something else, MailOnline's analysis of official data suggests.

Public Health England's fortnightly update on coronavirus strains circulating around the country showed 7,285 people had spent at least one night in hospital with the mutant virus by August 15.

But it admitted as many as 3,154 (43 per cent) had likely come to A&E for 'a diagnosis unrelated to Covid' and tested positive later through routine swabbing.

Experts told MailOnline in June that the number of so-called 'incidental' Covid hospital admissions would rise if community transmission continued to stay stubbornly high.

The proportion of people testing positive for the strain after admission for a different illness has risen four per cent since then. By June 21, it was 39 per cent.

Reading University microbiologist Dr Simon Clarke said the numbers highlight the increasing numbers of patients unwittingly bringing the virus into hospitals — putting the most vulnerable at risk.

He told MailOnline: 'If someone is asymptomatic and they're admitted say, with an appendicitis or smashed ankle, then the hospital won't know that they're infected for about 24 hours, because that's how long it takes to get the test done.

'In that time they could easily have infected staff and other patients, some of whom will be especially vulnerable.'

Other scientists warned official figures were overestimating the number of Covid patients in hospital. But they did not rule out that an undiagnosed Covid infection may have flared up other underlying conditions.

*** Good News ***

Mon, August 23, 2021, 9:42 AM
FDA grants full approval to Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine

The Food and Drug Administration on Monday granted full approval of the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine, becoming the first covid-19 vaccine to transition from an emergency authorization status to full FDA approval.

Pfizer's full and formal approval will now pave the way for further vaccine mandates. Some businesses and state leaders have held off thus far, signaling they'd wait for full approval before imposing tighter requirements.

Federal, state and local health officials have also expressed optimism that full approval will help dissolve some of the lingering hesitancy around taking a shot that until now has been only authorized for emergency use -- a forecast recent polling has also reflected.

MORE: COVID-19 live updates: Rev. Jesse Jackson 'responding' to hospital treatment

Last edited:
*** Good News ***

Mon, August 23, 2021, 12:57 PM
A jail in Washington state is offering ramen noodles as an incentive to encourage inmates to get COVID vaccine shots

Benton County Jail, located in Kennewick, Washington, has been giving out the beloved commissary item to those who sign up for their first vaccine jab in a program called "Soups for Shots," The Olympian reported.

A poster advertising the program says participants get "10 free ramen noodle soups," according to the report.
upload_2021-8-23_15-19-13.png
Since corrections officers started the program at the beginning of August, 900 ramen noodle packets have been distributed to 90 inmates, according to Scott Souza, chief of corrections at the Benton County Corrections Department.

"We're doing everything we can do to incentivize vaccination and we are getting an outstanding response," Souza told The Olympian.

As Insider previously reported, research shows that prisoners were more likely to contract the coronavirus behind bars.

Benton County Jail is not the only facility to offer vaccine incentives to its inmate population. In Alabama prisons, inmates can receive $5 commissary credits if they get the shot, ABC News reported. And Sedgwick County Jail in Wichita, Kansas has been offering $10 worth of commissary items to encourage vaccinations, according to KWCH-TV.

"The goal is to mitigate COVID-19 in the jail as much as possible. It's a correctional environment," Lt. Jared Schechter told the news station. "We're running at capacity or more above capacity today on inmates, and so social distancing is very difficult to do in a correctional environment."

Attachments

• upload_2021-8-23_15-21-6.png
    upload_2021-8-23_15-21-6.png
    782.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
*** School Boards VS Gov. Ron DeSantis' order ***

'It's impossible': Lack of Covid safeguards overwhelm school nurses
2 more Florida school districts defy DeSantis' order and vote for mask mandates

Florida's Hillsborough County Public Schools have had students in classrooms for only two weeks, and yet Katherine Burdge, a school nurse for the district, said she's more stressed out than at any other point during the coronavirus pandemic.

The district, the eighth largest in the U.S., has had to isolate or quarantine more than 13,485 students and employees since the start of August, and more than 2,650 of them have tested positive for Covid-19.

In response, the Hillsborough County school board ordered a more restrictive mask mandate Wednesday after hours of debate, defying Gov. Ron DeSantis' order that masking decisions be made by parents.

611706252f6b907044ea7bc6_o_U_v2.jpg

"It's frustrating and overwhelming just to be in the position that we are in," Burdge said. "We have so many children as well as teachers that are either isolated or quarantined right now. It's really tough for nurses.

"At least we have this," she added, referring to the new mask mandate. "It's a safeguard. Nothing is 100 percent, but this will hopefully help get the numbers down."

"School nurses here are facing a moral dilemma, because the protocols that are in place and coming from the state don't align with their values, their training, general scientific opinion, CDC guidance or the position of the American Academy of Pediatrics," said Lisa Kern, the director of the Florida Association of School Nurses. "It's unsettling."

Attachments

• upload_2021-8-23_15-38-45.png
    upload_2021-8-23_15-38-45.png
    493.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Covid US: CDC says 19-FOLD increase in patients using deworming drug despite FDA warnings | Daily Mail Online

Patients' use of Ivermectin increases 19 fold to treat Covid-19-
Isn't that charming? Use a drug that is given primarily to cows and horses but
don't get a vaccine--- As I live and breathe!!!!!

When West Nile virus was a big thing, my daughter came down with West Nile meningitis, and spent some time in ICU. At that point, we were hearing that teens were not at much risk, so I called the Director of the Kansas Health Department and told her what had happened and asked her why we hadn't been better warned about the risk to kids. That's a long story about being underfunded, but I digress...

She also told me that a lot of people were buying the West Nile vaccine for horses and injecting themselves.

When West Nile virus was a big thing, my daughter came down with West Nile meningitis, and spent some time in ICU. At that point, we were hearing that teens were not at much risk, so I called the Director of the Kansas Health Department and told her what had happened and asked her why we hadn't been better warned about the risk to kids. That's a long story about being underfunded, but I digress...

She also told me that a lot of people were buying the West Nile vaccine for horses and injecting themselves.

OMG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members