Coronavirus Global Health Emergency, 2019-nCoV

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny how we all react to this. I was chatting with a few Nurses last night. Going about their usual routines. Not concerned at this point. Their mindset a bit different. They don't get too excited about anything unless your limb is hanging off. Yet they provide direct care. Perhaps that may change? Rest of us who have to be there for other reasons and not providing direct care are somewhat germa-phobic. I always say if u want to get sick go to a Hospital.

Absolutely! We keep being told that hand washing is vital- umm yea. That works if one has accessible water, soap, home
Wouldn't it be nice if the lack of water access in some places in the world got as much media attention as this virus. THAT would improve the lives of millions, people who could really benefit.

jmo

Wouldn't it be nice if the lack of water access in some places in the world got as much media attention as this virus. THAT would improve the lives of millions, people who could really benefit.

jmo
Yes and so many people work so hard at getting clean water to impoverished areas. Yet it still exists. So wrong on every level in this day and age. We are so fortunate to have access to so much we take for granted.

Oh I agree that potential financial impact is an underlying reason (and maybe the major reason) but seeing this
“Wuhan mayor Zhou Xianwang said today that the task of containing the virus remains 'severe and complex' with the number of cases continuing to swell.” Coronavirus: China accused of lying about true death toll | Daily Mail Online

...is the driving force to why consumers aren’t interested in the potential risks

Oh, and I’d love to see the games back in Greece - or as you suggested, in neutral Switzerland. <3

Yeah, the financial impact is going to be widespread. IIRC the Shanghai stock market will reopen on Monday?

A 5% plunge in share prices in neighboring Taiwan and Hong Kong as soon as they opened today after the Lunar New Year break has given markets a taste of what to expect from Shanghai on Monday.
Take Five: What's the virus damage?

Some folks who invest in triple inverse stocks in the US have already increased 2.8% just in the last 90 minutes. sqqq stock price - Google Search

I get that folks in very poor areas of the world certainly don't have opportunity to travel. However there are many who travel to these areas for humanitarian reasons. Let's hope there are no outbreaks.

An interesting map would be showing the spread of the disease before and after public communication kicked in.

What was the spread pattern when the numbers were kept from the public, and what was the spread pattern when numbers and information about precautions were released?

In addition to being thankful to access to water today, perhaps it's time to take a moment of thanks for the press, officials who communicate, and modes of communication. Accurate information is vital.

jmo

Last edited:
yep I’m going to be tagged as the “melodramatic” alarmist here. But I’m just going to say: if this hits India hard, it’s going to go bad to worse.

Put a couple of cases in areas that are densely populated, particularly in areas that have scores of marginalized citizens, it will be a virus cesspools’ dream.

@Medstudies , I’m going to jump on that “melodramatic” band wagon with you !

My three biggest concerns have been mentioned in just the last few posts...
  1. Rapid or worsening mutations
  2. Inaccurate reporting of deaths/data
  3. The ability to spread prior to symptoms being present
I stated earlier in this thread that I believed things could get very ugly very fast - and I now believe they are.

I’m not generally in the “alarmist” category. I never gave much thought to SARS, N1H1, etc,... But in my opinion, this is an entirely different animal we’re dealing with now.

This is not the time to panic, and I’m not promoting being a “prepper”, but I would suggest to my fellow WS’ers - stock up a little in the event this thing isn’t contained. If this virus breaks loose in another country, fear and chaos will reign supreme - at least in the short term.

Hope for the best - be prepared for the worst.

Absolutely! We keep being told that hand washing is vital- umm yea. That works if one has accessible water, soap, home
Bingo, glad you brought that up- all that hand washing is great for those of us with nice clean hot water and soap, even clean cold water- but shockingly, clean water is lacking for many, imo.

On another note, so much for the efforts made to increase water conservation awareness in recent years, right now we all need clean hands and clean water!
Thinking of that old expression, something like .. " When the river is dry, the animals start looking at each other funny."

BREAKING: Delta Airlines will suspend ALL flights to China from February 6 to April 30 due to the 'ongoing concerns' over coronavirus, which has killed more than 200 people

Delta will suspend ALL flights to China from February 6 to April 30 due to coronavirus | Daily Mail Online

Other carriers are likely to follow suit in suspending service outright. On Thursday, the union that represents American Airlines’ pilots said it filed a lawsuit to force the company to stop its already-reduced China flights.

Delta, American will suspend all China flights as coronavirus outbreak spreads

China is decisively working to control the deadly outbreak of the novel coronavirus, its ambassador in Geneva said, insisting there was no need for countries impose "excessive measures" like border closures.

At least 213 have died in China, as more countries announced plans to evacuate their citizens from Wuhan.

Beijing said there are at least 9,809 people confirmed to have the infection, which has spread from Wuhan's Hubei province to every one of China's 31 provinces.

Another 102,000 people were also reportedly under medical observation with possible symptoms of the respiratory ailment.

Coronavirus spreads to more countries: All the latest updates

Funny how we all react to this. I was chatting with a few Nurses last night. Going about their usual routines. Not concerned at this point. Their mindset a bit different. They don't get too excited about anything unless your limb is hanging off. Yet they provide direct care. Perhaps that may change? Rest of us who have to be there for other reasons and not providing direct care are somewhat germa-phobic. I always say if u want to get sick go to a Hospital.

BBM

I was thinking about that very expression last night as I was looking over the new numbers being reported out of China. I know it’s been mentioned a variety of places that there are probably a lot of cases that won’t be identified because individuals with less severe symptoms may never go to the hospital and will recover on their own in their own homes. - I don’t disagree.
But, alternately, I wonder how many individuals that probably do need to go to the hospital in China are staying home hoping that it’s a bad case of the flu. If I only had a bad case of the flu, the last place I would want to be is in a hospital rubbing elbows with the infected.

India bans export of protective masks, clothing
India said it had banned the export of personal protection equipment such as masks and clothing amid a global coronavirus outbreak.

French car parts maker PSA extending plant closures in China
French car maker PSA Peugeot Citroen said its three plants in China's Wuhan will remain closed until February 14, in line with the Chinese government's guidance.
Valeo, a French car parts maker, said earlier its three sites in Wuhan will stay closed until at least February 13.

Wuhan mayor: Containing virus still 'severe, complex' task
The task of containing and preventing the spread of the coronavirus outbreak in the central Chinese city of Wuhan remain "severe and complex", its mayor Zhou Xianwang said. Supplies of masks and other medical resources are still inadequate, vice mayor Xu Honglan said.

Armenia suspends visa-free travel for Chinese citizens
Armenia will suspend its visa-free travel regime for Chinese citizens from February 1 until March 31.

Pakistan halts China flights
Pakistan temporarily suspended all direct flights with China, affecting Pakistan International Airlines (PIA), Air China and China Southern Airlines. "We have suspended all the direct flights to and from China with immediate effect till February 02," a spokesperson for Pakistan's Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) said. A decision on whether flights will be resumed will be made on Sunday.

Last edited:
I have found this publication and it's following minute by minutes to be a good one. The Guardian MSM
Coronavirus live updates: flight carrying Britons from Wuhan lands in UK
23m ago 16:03

The first case of the coronavirus has been confirmed in Sweden, according to a report in the digital news publisher The Local.

A patient at the Ryhov County Hospital in Jönköping, central-southern Sweden, has tested positive for the coronavirus, the Public Health Agency of Sweden (Folkhälsomyndigheten) confirmed to the website.

The patient is a woman who landed in Sweden on 24 January after visiting the Wuhan area in China. At that point she had no symptoms, said the agency.

But she later developed a cough and contacted the health services in Jönköping.

She is currently being kept in isolation at the clinic for infectious diseases and is not seriously ill.

Beijing said there are at least 9,809 people confirmed to have the infection, which has spread from Wuhan's Hubei province to every one of China's 31 provinces.

I'll be the annoying person who again points out the the numbers reported is misleading. Of the 9808 people with the infection, only* 120 cases have been reported outside of China. Most of the cases within China are in the province of virus origin.

Yes, it's alarming that the virus is spreading, but it is NOT spreading in huge numbers like some reports seems to imply.

I don't downplay the potential (not at all), but we also need to know what the numbers actually tell us.

jmo

* I don't mean to downplay any report, but use the word "only" to emphasize the number of cases outside of China is a fraction of the cases reported within China.

Myanmar turns back China Southern flight

Authorities in Myanmar have turned back a China Southern flight from Guangzhou with almost everyone on board after one of the passengers was found with flu symptoms similar to the fast-spreading coronavirus.

The plane arrived in the commercial capital Yangon and the passenger, a Chinese national, was sent to a hospital in the city where he will be quarantined.

Two Myanmar nationals who also disembarked have agreed to isolate themselves in their homes for 14 days.

The plane returned to Guangzhou with everyone else on board.

Myanmar has no confirmed cases of the coronavirus.

Canada evacuates diplomatic staff and relatives from China due to coronavirus

The Canadian government has evacuated a limited group of diplomatic staff, their family members and children from mainland China. People at risk, meaning the elderly or those with existing medical conditions or mental health concerns, were flown out of China on Thursday.

Coronavirus news and live updates: UK confirms first cases as outbreak spreads - CNN

Finally! @ Bravo
That's some good news.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members