Coronavirus Global Health Emergency, 2019-nCoV

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Communities around China order residents to get rid of their pets - or risk having them CULLED - amid fears that animals could catch coronavirus

Communities around China threaten to cull residents' pets due to coronavirus | Daily Mail Online

This is absolutely terrible.

Since this was in the DM, was truly hoping that it is not, could not be true, unless people there are starving to death- but alas, looking around for more proof (do not do this!!) realized that it certainly is possible.
Just a teeny bit, circa 2015..
Chinese district: Get rid of your pet dogs or we'll kill them
''BEIJING - A Chinese district government is giving dog owners a stark choice: Get rid of your pets or we'll come to your home and kill them on the spot.''

Granted, sometimes humane culling must be done for the good of all -
BUT..
If one can harden one's heart to ruthlessly kill a beloved pet (a member of the family so to speak) maybe it is a slippery slope towards culling anyone who is deemed a risk, or to be used as an excuse just to kill somebody ?
At this time, nobody is going to be questioning or looking too deeply into whether a death is '' suspicious'' or not.
Complete speculation, imo.

A passenger who was onboard the US State Department evacuation flight from Wuhan, China to California said the CDC mandated 14 day quarantine “is a very good thing." The passenger says officials sat them down in a sort of "town hall" meeting and read the official CDC statement.

They say the first question was how the passengers would be able to watch the Super Bowl.

Coronavirus news and live updates: UK confirms first cases as outbreak spreads - CNN

:rolleyes:

Any of you noticing folks wearing masks when out and about? I have not but then again I have been laying low. Work/home/here. Not because of the virus but it's cold and dreary. Tomorrow some retail therapy so will see what I see.

A passenger who was onboard the US State Department evacuation flight from Wuhan, China to California said the CDC mandated 14 day quarantine “is a very good thing." The passenger says officials sat them down in a sort of "town hall" meeting and read the official CDC statement.

They say the first question was how the passengers would be able to watch the Super Bowl.

Coronavirus news and live updates: UK confirms first cases as outbreak spreads - CNN

:rolleyes:
Speaking of Superbowl, between the overseas threats, and this outbreak that's the last place I'd spend thousands of dollars of ticket money! there will be people from all over !

Any of you noticing folks wearing masks when out and about? I have not but then again I have been laying low. Work/home/here. Not because of the virus but it's cold and dreary. Tomorrow some retail therapy so will see what I see.

I was in the Fort Lauderdale airport on Saturday the 25th and saw a few people wearing masks. I thought it was odd because I hadn't heard about the virus yet.

I work in a big city here in NJ and while walking to my bus this week I saw a young Asian woman riding a bicycle wearing a mask.

The best one yet was the person wearing a maxi pad. Talk about protection. Layers and layers. Oh and jugs on the head was interesting. Not making fun just some levity. IMO based on what we know at this point a regular mask really isn't much protection. IMO it really protects others if "you" have it.

china-virus-do-mask-AP.jpg

EPiV2pnWkAAJO29

Some consumers have been purchasing canine masks for dogs amid the coronavirus outbreak despite the WHO has said there's no evidence animals are at risk.

Coronavirus fears lead dog owners to buy facemasks

The best one yet was the person wearing a maxi pad. Talk about protection. Layers and layers. Oh and jugs on the head was interesting. Not making fun just some levity. IMO based on what we know at this point a regular mask really isn't much protection. IMO it really protects others if "you" have it.

There must be a kind of group security when wearing a legit (although not functional) mask?
OK
Ya, false sense of security.

Are packages from coronavirus-hit China safe to handle?

Experts said it’s unlikely the virus will survive the journey from China to your front door.

A package from China takes at least three days to arrive in California, citing UPS and FedEx estimates, reported. Though scientists are still working to understand the novel virus, it is closely related to SARS, which can live on surfaces for about two days, according to a 2003 University of Minnesota study.

Not here in Scotland. I had an appointment at the largest hospital in Scotland on Monday and nobody was wearing masks.

Bill Gates predicted Coronavirus-like outbreak in 2019 film | Daily Mail Online

The Next Pandemic' the documentary producers go to a wet market in Lianghua, China, where animals are killed and the resulting meat sold in the same place.

This, the documentary explained, makes the wet markets a 'disease X factory' as the different animal corpses are stacked on top of each other, blood and meat mixing, before being passed...

'All the while, their viruses are mixing and mutating, increasing the odds that one finds its way to humans,' the documentary goes on to explain.

In the episode, Mr Gates also warned the world was ill-prepared to deal with the implications of the viral spread of disease when cures were often years away.

He said if nothing was done to better prepare for pandemics the time would come when the world would look back and wish it had invested more into potential vaccines.

'If you think of anything that could come along that would kill millions of people, a pandemic is our greatest risk,' he said.”

Bill Gates predicted Coronavirus-like outbreak in 2019 film | Daily Mail Online

The Next Pandemic' the documentary producers go to a wet market in Lianghua, China, where animals are killed and the resulting meat sold in the same place.

This, the documentary explained, makes the wet markets a 'disease X factory' as the different animal corpses are stacked on top of each other, blood and meat mixing, before being passed...

'All the while, their viruses are mixing and mutating, increasing the odds that one finds its way to humans,' the documentary goes on to explain.

In the episode, Mr Gates also warned the world was ill-prepared to deal with the implications of the viral spread of disease when cures were often years away.

He said if nothing was done to better prepare for pandemics the time would come when the world would look back and wish it had invested more into potential vaccines.

'If you think of anything that could come along that would kill millions of people, a pandemic is our greatest risk,' he said.”

Hopefully this outbreak will bring an end to these barbaric markets.

Dettol CAN'T kill the deadly Wuhan coronavirus that has finally reached the UK - but scientists admit the disinfectant spray DOES work against other strains after bogus conspiracy theories flood social media

Dettol CAN'T kill the deadly Wuhan coronavirus that has finally reached the UK | Daily Mail Online

View attachment 228942

Dettol is a brand name for a disinfectant product. Most disinfectant and anti-bacterial kitchen sprays (when used according to instructions) can kill a lot of viruses on surfaces. That wouldn't be something specific to this brand. However, the brand is from a maker that's rich enough to have done testing on specific viruses in order to make the claim on the bottle.

The headline, I believe, is not exactly correct. If the coronavirus that causes some strains of common cold can be killed by disinfectant, then this version of coronavirus is probably also likely to be the same as the disinfectant acts in a different way from vaccines and antibiotics that are taken internally. But, if it hasn't been scientifically proven against this particular coronavirus, then the bottle would not be allowed to carry the claim that it can kill this specific coronavirus.

Also, this type of disinfectant is for surface disinfection. A lot of surfaces probably wouldn't need disinfection from a lot of viruses as they die anyway when they dry out (JMO, I'm presuming that as if a virus can only live on a surface for a certain amount of time, the reason is likely to be that when the surface dries out for long enough, the virus will die even without disinfection, though that might not hold for every microbe out there).

So surface disinfection in the home doesn't have to go overboard every single day. It's more about appropriate hygiene and cleanliness, and doing a little extra when someone in the home does have a cold or flu.

Surfaces might not be the main way to contract such a virus anyway. Coughs and sneezes that aren't properly covered, touching the face (eyes, mouth, nose) and not enough/thorough enough handwashing at appropriate times will also be a means to spread most cold/flu viruses.

To have a bottle of something along the lines of Dettol in the house is a really good idea. It's not a panacea though, it's just what it is.

PS. Congratulations Dettol for getting their brand name all over the internet without having to pay for the advertising!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
internationalsleuth