Coronavirus Global Health Emergency, 2019-nCoV

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in the Fort Lauderdale airport on Saturday the 25th and saw a few people wearing masks. I thought it was odd because I hadn't heard about the virus yet.

I work in a big city here in NJ and while walking to my bus this week I saw a young Asian woman riding a bicycle wearing a mask.
In Toronto, Asian students are wearing masks just as they usually do, to avoid colds/flu, pollution ect. but mostly i am told, it is a fashion thing.
On the subway more people not necessarily Asian, appear to be masked.
It has always been my "thing" to keep my gloves on or use the bottom of my clothing, sleeves, whatever i can use to avoid using my bare hands to touch anything on public transit and washrooms, plus change my clothing when i get home.
Probably a habit developed young, due to a mother who is an old-school RN- maybe she was right after all, like almost everything else, lol!

If you get the measles and survive you have lifetime immunity against measles reinfection. It's the same with smallpox and many other viral diseases.

Does anyone know if coronavirus survivors also have lifetime immunity?
There was a report here somewhere???? It was suggesting people could get reinfected. I'm not sure how they know that for sure at this point. Perhaps it was an article just questioning? i cant remember exactly as I have read sooo much.

If you get the measles and survive you have lifetime immunity against measles reinfection. It's the same with smallpox and many other viral diseases.

No I posted an article that was warning survivors that they were at risk of reinfection in the future.

Coach Drivers get 10 days off work and vehicles deep cleaned
The coach company that collected British passengers after they landed in the UK on a flight from Wuhan has said its vehicles will be “deep cleaned”.

At least seven coaches from Horseman Coaches Ltd were seen arriving at the Brize Norton RAF base in Oxfordshire at around 10am.

The drivers had agreed to take the job, a company spokesman said, and will be given paid leave to “remain at home for the next 10 days”.

The vehicles will also be removed from service for a minimum of 10 days after they are cleaned, the company said.

The Horseman Coaches spokesman told the PA news agency: “The Department for Health have procedures in place for the vehicles to be deep cleaned.

“That is part of the process of this undertaking, which will happen as soon as the vehicles are clear.”

He added: “I can give everybody assurance that everything will be cleansed sufficiently.”

Coronavirus quarantine convoy arrives in Merseyside

Medical experts on Friday warned that patients who had recovered from the virus were still at risk of being infected again, and said people should avoid any mass gathering.

Zhan Qingyuan, head of infectious diseases at the China-Japan Friendship Hospital, said in a press briefing on Friday that people who had already had the virus would have developed antibodies but should remain on alert so they did not get ill again.

Coronavirus: Chinese health experts warn patients can get reinfected

Coach Drivers get 10 days off work and vehicles deep cleaned
The coach company that collected British passengers after they landed in the UK on a flight from Wuhan has said its vehicles will be “deep cleaned”.

At least seven coaches from Horseman Coaches Ltd were seen arriving at the Brize Norton RAF base in Oxfordshire at around 10am.

The drivers had agreed to take the job, a company spokesman said, and will be given paid leave to “remain at home for the next 10 days”.

The vehicles will also be removed from service for a minimum of 10 days after they are cleaned, the company said.

The Horseman Coaches spokesman told the PA news agency: “The Department for Health have procedures in place for the vehicles to be deep cleaned.

“That is part of the process of this undertaking, which will happen as soon as the vehicles are clear.”

He added: “I can give everybody assurance that everything will be cleansed sufficiently.”

Coronavirus quarantine convoy arrives in Merseyside

I couldn't understand why the coach drivers were not even wearing face masks when there was people in hazmat suits sitting behind them when they were driving away on the news. It was bizarre to watch.

China has imported more than 56.228 million masks in the past week, according to the General Administration of Customs.

Some 290 million yuan (US$41.8 million) worth of protective gear was imported from January 24 to 30, it said on Friday. That included the masks, 69,000 pairs of goggles, and 738,000 items of protective clothing.

more on that suspected case in NYC:

https://nypost.com/2020/01/31/nyc-h...igating-potential-coronavirus-case-in-queens/

A person who recently traveled to New York City from China is being tested for possible coronavirus at Elmhurst General Hospital, a law enforcement source told The Post. If the patient is found to have the illness, it would be the first confirmed case in New York.

Before the latest development, there were six confirmed cases of the flu-like illness in the US — the most recent being the first confirmed instance of the virus spreading from person to person in the country.

That patient is the husband of an Illinois woman who was diagnosed earlier this month.

MW-HZ436_dow_01_20200131125602_NS.jpg

Friday afternoon, the Dow Jones Industrial Average DJIA, -1.88% was down 525 points, or 1.8%, to 28,350. The S&P 500 SPX, -1.54% shed 48 points, or 1.5%, 3,235. The Nasdaq Composite Index COMP, -1.27% retreated 110 points, or 1.2%, to 9,188.

MW-HZ290_oil_be_20200130090842_MG.jpg

Coronavirus could hurt demand for crude because China is among the biggest importers of the commodity, putting oil prices on the verge of a bear market.

Airline stocks have been flattened. Shares of United Airlines Holdings Inc. UAL, -3.74% slumped 14.9% so far in January. Delta Air Lines Inc.’s stock DAL, -2.43% slid 4.7% in the month to date and American Airlines Group Inc. AAL, -3.50% shares have fallen more than 6.6%, as both halted flights to China as the coronavirus fears spread.

How the coronavirus outbreak has delivered a shock to stocks, bonds and other assets in January

Medical experts on Friday warned that patients who had recovered from the virus were still at risk of being infected again, and said people should avoid any mass gathering.

Zhan Qingyuan, head of infectious diseases at the China-Japan Friendship Hospital, said in a press briefing on Friday that people who had already had the virus would have developed antibodies but should remain on alert so they did not get ill again.

Woah …. that's not good news.

Cats have their own form of coronavirus that about 85% encounter. In a very small percentage, it can mutate (based on the individual cat’s genes) into the deadly FIP. I bring this up because this has been around for years and their coronavirus has never jumped to us.

Finally! I thought 3 days was not near enough when all other countries were on a 14-day quarantine.

US orders 14-day quarantine for Americans evacuated from Wuhan

The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is ordering a 14-day quarantine for nearly 200 Americans who recently returned from Wuhan, China. They’ve been staying at March Air Reserve Base in California since then under a three-day voluntary quarantine.

Coronavirus news and live updates: UK confirms first cases as outbreak spreads - CNN
Thank goodness! I didn’t understand why we were being so stupid!

There are currently no proven therapies for the latest outbreak, which authorities believe originated from a seafood market in China.

Hong Kong researchers claimed they have already developed a vaccine for the virus but warned that it will “take months” to test the vaccine on animals and another year to conduct trials on humans before it is ready.

While U.S. officials hope to start human trials on a vaccine in little as three months, that timeline is optimistic.. It could take a year or more before a vaccine is ready for sale to the public, adding that a phase 1 trial also does not mean “you have a vaccine that’s ready for deployment.”.

The National Institutes of Health is working with biotech company Moderna to develop a vaccine using the current strain of the coronavirus.

“It will take three months to get it into the trial, three months to get safety, immunogenicity data,” said Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, an agency within the Department of Health and Human Services. “Then you move into phase 2. What we do from that point on will be determined by what has happened with the outbreak over those months.”

The slow race to make a coronavirus vaccine is on as nations try to speed yearlong process

MW-HZ436_dow_01_20200131125602_NS.jpg

Friday afternoon, the Dow Jones Industrial Average DJIA, -1.88% was down 525 points, or 1.8%, to 28,350. The S&P 500 SPX, -1.54% shed 48 points, or 1.5%, 3,235. The Nasdaq Composite Index COMP, -1.27% retreated 110 points, or 1.2%, to 9,188.

MW-HZ290_oil_be_20200130090842_MG.jpg

Coronavirus could hurt demand for crude because China is among the biggest importers of the commodity, putting oil prices on the verge of a bear market.

Airline stocks have been flattened. Shares of United Airlines Holdings Inc. UAL, -3.74% slumped 14.9% so far in January. Delta Air Lines Inc.’s stock DAL, -2.43% slid 4.7% in the month to date and American Airlines Group Inc. AAL, -3.50% shares have fallen more than 6.6%, as both halted flights to China as the coronavirus fears spread.

How the coronavirus outbreak has delivered a shock to stocks, bonds and other assets in January

Is it having any affect on gas prices in the States or elsewhere? The price of petrol has dropped here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove