CT- Annie Le, missing from Yale, thread #3 BODY FOUND

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The 1998 case...for those who are interested.
[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzanne_Jovin_case"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzanne_Jovin_case[/ame]

Regardless if it was male or female...the comment includes a car which Annie Le did not have and I find it odd.

The name didn't turn up when I put it into the Yale student directory either. Can't find the person listed anywhere, but I am still looking.

you are right to find that friend comment hinky considering! I will try to dig up the reported sex of the reporting friend. I watched a video.. It think the clip was in thread one... will do some searching for you my friend

I tried checking Facebook, but couldn't find a Xiao Hung at Yale, or in New Haven :(

Does anyone have a link to Annie's facebook?

Was the fire alarm automatic or did it need to be set off by someone? Sounds like it could have been someone in maintenance who killed her, then activated the alarm to have time to dispose of the body without being seen. Possibly, someone who has been watching her awhile and become fixated on her.

That sounds like a good possibility.

It was someone very familiar with what went on in the lab in the basement and when she was there, imo. I wonder if it was the sort of place that had very little people in it at one time.

imo

great work thanks.
just a couple of points i'm not sure on....my bold

Sept. 8th (12:00pm) - Bennett e-mailed Dr. Schlessinger(according to Schlessinger) (chair of the Department of Pharmacology) around noon informing him that Le had not arrived at work and that no one knew where she was. Annie would not be available to TA her Pathology class at 2:00pm. I haven't seen anything that says in that email that annie would not be available or that the class should/would be canceled Class was cancelled by Dr. Schlessinger or Dr. Bennett or ?.

Sept. 8th (2:00pm) - Dr. Michael D. Robek's first Pathology class of the quarter was cancelled earlier in the day by Dr. Bennett or Dr. Schlessinger or?. Where do we get this from? Annie is the TA for this class.

Great points puffster - look at the September 11th entry. That's a direct quote taken from the press. Unfortunately I don't have the link, I would have to take a few days to go look for it. Annie was going to hand out syllabus that day and have a very short class...that's what I have read. I'll be happy to change it when I hear the class was held.

I will definitely put...according to Dr. Schlessinger...that would be far more accurate - thanks. I will put mark the other point as 'being debated'? lol I'll go change it right now. Thanks for the input.

It is still early, but to me, the fragmentary details of the crime seem more suggestive of a non-faculty culprit, most probably a man who works in the building. Just remembering general situations that my girlfriend and I observed during graduate school, I would imagine that such a worker would be more knowledgeable about possible hiding places and more able to move the body, than an older faculty member. And, in terms of age, libido, and lack of maturity, probably more likely to attack an attractive younger woman when she was alone.

The 1998 case...for those who are interested.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzanne_Jovin_case
I read through the case earlier and also noticed there was another murder back in 1990 of a student. It is when they implemented new policies on safety and installed blue emergency phone booths etc. Yale then became known for being such a safe place after that in reporting crimes. Was it because they were going unreported or was it actually a safer place than other campuses of their stature?

Good thinking about the different clothing!!!
Another thought, what if the killer is another woman?

Interesting idea! :eek: You're right - it could be another woman who wanted her out of the way.

With the wedding about to happen this weekend, from the beginning my husband and I have wondered if this might be about another student's jealousy over either the bride or groom.

As far as the professor cancelling classes that day - could just be a red herring, but I'm glad they questioned him.

I'm glad they found the body. It must have been well-hidden for this to take so long.

Well I am so sorry to hear this, she was a beautiful young lady.
If she had to swipe her card to get in to the lab, then that would mean anyone else entering would have to do the same.
There is apparently another way into this lab and out, whomever did this was aware of the cameras as well and where they were placed. JMO...

I can't tell by the name, but is the friend a female? I thought it was a male.

But a friend and fellow student, Xiao Hung, told Fox 5 News that on a prior occasion near the building, Le "had been approached by other people and she managed to get in the car and escape from that incident."

http://forum.purseblog.com/true-cri...-before-wedding-body-found-update-505794.html BBM
scouring this as well SS....

The article does not say that the car that she got into was her own... could Hung be her middle name or one of several last names? I will try looking up Xiao only in the student list... also it could be possible that he/she has already graduated or is an employee of that Annie knew (thusly wouldn't be on the current student registry).. just thoughts.

great work thanks.
just a couple of points i'm not sure on....my bold

Sept. 8th (12:00pm) - Bennett e-mailed Dr. Schlessinger(according to Schlessinger) (chair of the Department of Pharmacology) around noon informing him that Le had not arrived at work and that no one knew where she was. Annie would not be available to TA her Pathology class at 2:00pm. I haven't seen anything that says in that email that annie would not be available or that the class should/would be canceled Class was cancelled by Dr. Schlessinger or Dr. Bennett or ?.

Sept. 8th (2:00pm) - Dr. Michael D. Robek's first Pathology class of the quarter was cancelled earlier in the day by Dr. Bennett or Dr. Schlessinger or?. Where do we get this from? Annie is the TA for this class.

This article says:

"Schlessinger said that Bennett e-mailed him yesterday around noon informing him that Le had not come in to work and that no one knew where she was."

I think the confusion over class being cancelled is that there WAS also a class cancelled, but it was that of Dr. Schelessinger, which led to his questioning. We don't know how that relates to the class Annie was TAing

"Annie Le, a 24-year-old doctoral student in pharmacology, was supposed to attend the professor's class on Tuesday afternoon.

But the class was abruptly canceled - and hours later, Le was discovered missing.

The sudden cancellation near the time when Le is believed to have disappeared aroused suspicions among law enforcement, a New Haven police source said.

It was unclear what class was canceled or if the professor is a suspect. Yale officials would not comment, and a police spokesperson did not return calls."

Saturday, September 12, 2009 11:32 a.m.
University: Professor is not a suspect in disappearance
BY PAUL NEEDHAM

University Vice President and Secretary Linda Lorimer shot down reports this morning that the authorities believe a professor may be involved in the disappearance of Annie Le MED ’13.

The New York Daily News, citing an anonymous police source, reported today that police questioned an unnamed Yale professor on Friday after learning he canceled his class on Tuesday around the time Le went missing. The New York Post published a similar article, citing a report on the Fox affiliate WTIC-TV in Hartford, and the stories have quickly spread around the Web.

In an interview this morning, Lorimer said that headlines like one on the Fox News Web site saying "Yale Professor Questioned in Graduate Student's Disappearance" are entirely misleading.

Calling the phrase a "typical Fox News hysterical headline," Lorimer added that the police are "interviewing tons of people" and there is no reason to believe any professor is a suspect in Le’s disappearance.

http://www.yaledailynews.com/crosscampus/2009/09/12/university-professor-not-suspect-disappearance/

That is a statement from the university not the police and feds.

I am still looking for the article which mentioned the friend worked in the lab next to Annie's lab. I thought it was the same person, but maybe not.

I would like to find out more about that incident. Did anyone ever find a campus police blotter for Yale? Maybe it wasn't reported, but evidently if it happened...other people knew about it. I would think with her frame of mind on Safety and Crime, Annie would report such a thing.

Maybe it wasn't her car.

I read through the case earlier and also noticed there was another murder back in 1990 of a student. It is when they implemented new policies on safety and installed blue emergency phone booths etc. Yale then became known for being such a safe place after that in reporting crimes. Was it because they were going unreported or was it actually a safer place than other campuses of their stature?

I live in New York, but from what I have heard from Yale friends, the city campus is much better patrolled than it once was. But it still isn't completely safe; parts of New Haven are dangerous and there's always a spillover effect. And many buildings are occupied at times by only a few students and faculty members in isolated parts of the building.

And you're right about them being better about reporting crime. But this is often a response to crime: I know, for example, that NYU, the college closest to my home, was criticized severely for underreporting crime and they have made similar adjustments.

Regardless if it was male or female...the comment includes a car which Annie Le did not have and I find it odd.

The name didn't turn up when I put it into the Yale student directory either. Can't find the person listed anywhere, but I am still looking.

Perhaps she DID have a car but doesn't now? Or maybe she was borrowing one?

I never had a car at university, but often would borrow one for a friend for errands to certain places that were a pain to walk to or in the snow.

Yale crime...

Murders or attempted murders involving Yale students or faculty include:

In 1974, Yale junior Gary Stein was killed in a robbery. Melvin Jones was convicted in the case and spent fifteen years in prison.

On June 24, 1993, computer science professor David Gelernter was seriously injured in his office in Arthur K. Watson Hall by a bomb sent by serial killer Ted Kaczynski ("The Unabomber").

In 1998, student Suzanne Jovin was stabbed to death in a wealthy neighborhood 2 miles (3.2 km) from the central campus. Allegations that her thesis advisor was a suspect led to the end of his career at Yale, but the crime remains unsolved.

The Yale Campus has been the site of three bombing incidents. In addition to that carried out by the Unabomber, mentioned above, on May Day in 1970, during the New Haven Black Panther trials, two bombs were set off in the basement of Ingalls Rink. No injuries resulted, and the perpetrators were never identified.

On May 21, 2003, an explosive device went off at the Yale Law School, damaging two classrooms. The latter crime has not been solved, and no motive has been discerned; the bombing occurred while the nation was under an elevated terror alert, and while the university was involved in difficult labor negotiations. The homes of at least two former employees were searched, but no arrests have been made in the case.

I read through the case earlier and also noticed there was another murder back in 1990 of a student. It is when they implemented new policies on safety and installed blue emergency phone booths etc. Yale then became known for being such a safe place after that in reporting crimes. Was it because they were going unreported or was it actually a safer place than other campuses of their stature?[/QUOTE

When my daughter attended Seton Hall there was an incident and they had their own special campus police report it the female was not allowed to have the regular police called.That is how they keep numbers lower then they really are much higher.

That sounds like a good possibility.

It was someone very familiar with what went on in the lab in the basement and when she was there, imo. I wonder if it was the sort of place that had very little people in it at one time.

imo

The fire alarm happened 2 days after she disappeared.(incorrect) edited by me. Now I know from reading this thread there was no fire alarm. It was a steam alarm and it was the same day.

Just FWIW, swipe cards aren't all that secure. They get lost and left lying about all the time and are easily stolen. I've also seen one person swipe a card and then have multiple people enter a building when they open the door.

Also, there are typically lots of other entrances into buildings, not all of which are secure, like service entrances, doors, and loading docks where alarm switches may be out of order or disabled either intentionally or unintentionally, especially during delivery hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarneson59