GUILTY CT - Jennifer Dulos, 50, deceased/not found, New Canaan, 24 May 2019 *ARRESTS* #70

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, that is what I heard as well. The concurrent sentence made it so the range was only the 20. If consecutive, he could have given her close to 45 years. That said, since it is concurrent, the appeal issue on the disputed tampering charge is null because the conspiracy charge is 20 and everything is based on that--- the 14.5 years with 5 probation.
I do wish, when Judge Randolph was explaining the "philosophy of sentencing," that he had addressed the "concurrent" vs "consecutive" assigning of penalties when there are convictions on multiple charges. Concurrent seems like it gives a criminal a freebie when it comes to the charges with lesser terms.

Randolph also had the DOC report on her. She had no priors, yada, yada, yada. He couldn't remand her for sentence that would be appealable. This is middle range and is tough given her age/her family is not local/daughter won't be local.

I don't like it but I don't like when appeals courts overturn stuff based on consistency or fairness issues.

Maybe she could offer to help in the KM case in exchange for some consideration. Or better yet, ask for no consideration and tell them where she thinks or knows Jennifer is. That would be righteous.

I do wish, when Judge Randolph was explaining the "philosophy of sentencing," that he had addressed the "concurrent" vs "consecutive" assigning of penalties when there are convictions on multiple charges. Concurrent seems like it gives a criminal a freebie when it comes to the charges with lesser terms.
Another way to look at it, so it's less acidic --

If she has been found somehow not guukty on the conspiracy to murder charge, the lesser charges would have taken on greater meaning. And sentencing of only 1 to 5 years. Which wouldn't have been stacked either, unfortunately.

That would have been a 5 year sentence, reduced into next to nothing.

A sweetheart deal might have spared FD's life, would have ensured a conviction for him... and we'd be spitting teeth that she got a light sentence.

While I wish he would have laid her sentences end to end, and I wish of the 20 years she had to serve every last day of them, I'm relieved that he gave her the maximum on each charge, even if it was really only a matter of form. I hope her 14.5 years ages her the full 45.

It wasn't enough. It'll never be enough. But it's something.

May Jennifer's soul find rest, if only in the tender hearts of each of her precious, eloquent children and that profound circle of women who stand in the gap.

It is a total freebie and effectively tosses those charges to the wind as you point out. I find it offensive he treated those charges that way as those particular offenses were in great part responsible for the difficulty CSP had investigating this case quickly and getting a rapid arrest. Had the brilliant NCPD officer not snagged FD phone then my guess is that MT would have been heading off for winter skiing shortly in Argentina with her daughter and not have been crowned the "Duchess of York"! MT held things up for CSP and she did a good job of it and so to see those charges effectively nullified is a hard pill to swallow.

I listened again and I'm convinced he put himself on double speed for the delivery because he KNEW how it would go down. Whether he had guilt or remorse or even cared about the sentencing I have no idea, but he knew what he was doing would NOT play well with the audience. The interesting thing about watching his delivery on play back is that his delivery is usually measured and calm and perfectly paced. BUT, imo when he delivered the actual verdict his delivery was poorly paced, weakly worked and sounded like he just wanted to push the words out quickly. IMO a dead give away that something was up. I don't know much about being a Judge and so I do wonder if he makes the sentencing decision himself or does he have to have the approval of the Senior Judge In Stamford or Hartford (think the Admin Judge in Stamford is Blawie). If anyone knows if the Judge is independent please chime in as I'm curious about it all as the Judge Randolph delivery of the verdict was imo distinctly ODD and simply unlike the rest of his chatter today from the bench.

MOO

Yes, very big contrast as you point out to Schoenhorn and the Troconis family claiming an unfair trial, insufficient evidence to convict and that the Stamford Judiciary trial experience was no different in their view than that found in Venezuela.

Right.

If this were the case then why are they all sadly residing in this Country?

MOO
F them.
That's all I have to say.

If anyone understands how the sentencing report prepared by the State can contain errors and refers back to Warrant information that was factually incorrect and not relate instead to Trial evidence please chime in as I am still processing how this can be true.

I know its CT but even in a State where incompetency is a given, it seems unacceptable to have factual errors and non evidence in an important document relating to sentencing that the Judge relies upon?

Did the State review the sentencing document to make sure it was ok or is this not the way things are done?

Sitting and taking a breath and trying to understand how today's circus was allowed to play out the way it did in Judge Randolphs Courtroom.

It seems like friends and family of the Defendant got more time to speak that the actual VICTIMS friends and family and this just isn't sitting well in my feeble (but kinda tired brain).

I thought today was supposed to be about the Victim and the people impacted by her loss? Instead we were treated to a Bible Revival meeting and a whole bunch of people who imo should have been on the stand and subject to cross examination for their words about MT, INCLUDING MT herself. Schoenhorn could have put any number of those people on the stand at TRIAL YET HE CHOSE NOT TO and imo for VERY GOOD REASON. Yet, they got to speak freely and for imo a very long time.

Whole thing today simply seemed wrong, frankly unfair and disrespectful to the Victim. Disappointed greatly in Judge Randolph on many levels today and during this trial but in particular for the largely distasteful circus that evolved today. Today was supposed to be about the Victim but instead it turned into a day all about the Defendant. Just seems wrong.

It just simply seemed wrong today to put the Defendant on the same footing at the Victim. JFD is gone and the loss of her life will have an everlasting impact on her family and friends. YET, it was deemed equal to the rights of the Defendant to have people speak on her behalf with no corroboration.

Only answer that continues to hit me is, "Its CT"....

MOO

F them.
That's all I have to say.
Well Said.

Totally Agree.

My offer to pay to fly them all back to Venezuela private (only way it can be done I believe given the sanctions in place) stands BUT they have to agree to STAY THERE.

No takers? Kinda thought so as that is simply the kind of people that they are. Love to complain but do nothing and in many respects it makes their choice of Schonehorn and the other person perfection.

MOO

It is a total freebie and effectively tosses those charges to the wind as you point out. I find it offensive he treated those charges that way as those particular offenses were in great part responsible for the difficulty CSP had investigating this case quickly and getting a rapid arrest. Had the brilliant NCPD officer not snagged FD phone then my guess is that MT would have been heading off for winter skiing shortly in Argentina with her daughter and not have been crowned the "Duchess of York"! MT held things up for CSP and she did a good job of it and so to see those charges effectively nullified is a hard pill to swallow.

I listened again and I'm convinced he put himself on double speed for the delivery because he KNEW how it would go down. Whether he had guilt or remorse or even cared about the sentencing I have no idea, but he knew what he was doing would NOT play well with the audience. The interesting thing about watching his delivery on play back is that his delivery is usually measured and calm and perfectly paced. BUT, imo when he delivered the actual verdict his delivery was poorly paced, weakly worked and sounded like he just wanted to push the words out quickly. IMO a dead give away that something was up. I don't know much about being a Judge and so I do wonder if he makes the sentencing decision himself or does he have to have the approval of the Senior Judge In Stamford or Hartford (think the Admin Judge in Stamford is Blawie). If anyone knows if the Judge is independent please chime in as I'm curious about it all as the Judge Randolph delivery of the verdict was imo distinctly ODD and simply unlike the rest of his chatter today from the bench.

MOO

Randolph gets to decide BUT he has to take the sentencing report, the statutes and any other case law into account. Most judges work hard to make it so their rulings and sentences are not overturned on appeal because those kinds of stats are watched and noted by lawyers

I didn't find it odd that he was talking fast. I thought he was trying to avoid the defense counsel from interrupting as it seems that this defense lawyer seems to think any time the judge speaks he can interject his important points. I know that he was probably not reacting to that but hey......

Well Said.

Totally Agree.

My offer to pay to fly them all back to Venezuela private (only way it can be done I believe given the sanctions in place) stands BUT they have to agree to STAY THERE.

No takers? Kinda thought so as that is simply the kind of people that they are. Love to complain but do nothing and in many respects it makes their choice of Schonehorn and the other person perfection.

MOO
MT has been given due process. Yet her family refuses to accept it.
SHE HAS BEEN FOUND GUILTY! JENNIFER'S CHILDREN SHOULD BE ABLE TO RELAX NOW. AND YET YOU (MT's family and defense lawyer) KEEP VICTIMIZING THEM!

I don’t know how everyone else is feeling tonight, but I’m sitting here tonight thinking about all of us but especially, Jennifer’s children.
Today was the culmination of a very long and painful journey for them and with the meager sentence that was given today, I can’t help but feel run over. I can’t begin to imagine the betrayal they must be feeling.
Jennifer was the victim, not MT. Jennifer’s children were the ones who suddenly lost their mother at such a delicate age. MT’s child is what, 20 now? Jennifer did nothing to deserve an early, brutal death and she’s never coming back. MT is only going to be away for 14-1/2 years, but will remain in contact with her child and her family until she is reunited with them one day. MT is the felon, the accessory, the convict, why does she get to have hope and a future, when Jennifer never will? I will never understand the judge’s decision today.

Randolph also had the DOC report on her. She had no priors, yada, yada, yada. He couldn't remand her for sentence that would be appealable. This is middle range and is tough given her age/her family is not local/daughter won't be local.

I don't like it but I don't like when appeals courts overturn stuff based on consistency or fairness issues.

Maybe she could offer to help in the KM case in exchange for some consideration. Or better yet, ask for no consideration and tell them where she thinks or knows Jennifer is. That would be righteous.
I do think she knows what happened to Jennifer’s body, but I’m afraid it was completely destroyed in some way, and there is nothing left to recover now. But she’d never admit to that information now because it would make her appear more monstrous than she already is.

Another way to look at it, so it's less acidic --

If she has been found somehow not guukty on the conspiracy to murder charge, the lesser charges would have taken on greater meaning. And sentencing of only 1 to 5 years. Which wouldn't have been stacked either, unfortunately.

That would have been a 5 year sentence, reduced into next to nothing.

A sweetheart deal might have spared FD's life, would have ensured a conviction for him... and we'd be spitting teeth that she got a light sentence.

While I wish he would have laid her sentences end to end, and I wish of the 20 years she had to serve every last day of them, I'm relieved that he gave her the maximum on each charge, even if it was really only a matter of form. I hope her 14.5 years ages her the full 45.

It wasn't enough. It'll never be enough. But it's something.

May Jennifer's soul find rest, if only in the tender hearts of each of her precious, eloquent children and that profound circle of women who stand in the gap.

All I can hear in my mind and heart is Jennifer's son who asked that MT be sentenced to 50 years -- 10 years for each of her 5 children!

I'm also reminded of the Federal Judge who used his discretion (perhaps not an option for Judge in CT?) to enhance Lori Milliron's sentence to 17 yrs for perjury. Lori Milliron was the mistress of dentist Larry Rudolph who murdered his wife on Safari.

Judge William J. Martínez argued that the long sentence [17 yrs] was deserved because evidence pointed to Milliron "encouraging" the crime. Martínez added that Milliron seemed "unrepentant" in part because he judged her emotionally unmoved when she was shown graphic images and listened to wrenching testimony during the trial.

I don’t know how everyone else is feeling tonight, but I’m sitting here tonight thinking about all of us but especially, Jennifer’s children.
Today was the culmination of a very long and painful journey for them and with the meager sentence that was given today, I can’t help but feel run over. I can’t begin to imagine the betrayal they must be feeling.
Jennifer was the victim, not MT. Jennifer’s children were the ones who suddenly lost their mother at such a delicate age. MT’s child is what, 20 now? Jennifer did nothing to deserve an early, brutal death and she’s never coming back. MT is only going to be away for 14-1/2 years, but will remain in contact with her child and her family until she is reunited with them one day. MT is the felon, the accessory, the convict, why does she get to have hope and a future, when Jennifer never will? I will never understand the judge’s decision today.
I am disappointed, but not in Judge Randolph. I think it likely his sentencing is about as severe as it could have been.

He gave MT the maximum on every count, so if there is a complaint, it is in the other ways in which he exercised discretion - in the decision how much of each sentence he’d require be executed vs suspended and in whether the sentences would be served concurrently or consecutively.

For every convicted charge, the sentence that MT must serve plus period of probation after serving is equivalent to the maximum, so MT will be imprisoned for about 75% of max, but she will be answerable to the state for 100% of the max. I have to believe that is on the stiffer end for a conspirator whose role was as limited as it was proven MT’s was (and by proven I mean the several specific acts Judge Randolph outlined as reasonable inferences a juror could make from the evidence and NOT other potential acts that many including myself have speculated upon).

I personally think it ridiculous that the state of CT does not hold a conspirator to the same standard as a primary actor. Conspiracy to Murder should not be a Class B felony; it should be a Class A felony, just as Murder is. And Conspiracy to other crimes should match the primary crime in level of severity for penalty.

Conspiracy is a “community” act. It contributes multiple minds, actors, and their resources to the success of the crime and to the concealment of it (making investigation more difficult) and it overrides multiple individual consciences. In such ways, some believe as I do that conspiracy crimes are worse than crimes committed alone. But in no way, are conspiracy crimes less than crimes committed alone - they are an organization toward achieving crime.

It is as though the state of Connecticut ranks the individuals who organized together and grants those who managed to keep their hands less bloody (or less detectably bloody) a reward, even though they participated in the planning, gave cover to the others, and helped conceal the crime. Like they are the dopey hirelings of more malevolent and wicked men who, because they are dopey or because they are hirelings, couldn’t possibly know better. But sometimes the wicked and malevolent goes all the way through the organization, as I believe it did here.

Finally, about the concurrent vs consecutive. AFAIK, MT has no priors. And, although I considered the character witnesses weak as nearly all were family or only became acquainted with MT after the murders when she was likely misrepresenting herself, several reported that she participated in a kind and meaningful way in charitable and church-community efforts. And others reported her work with horses and the disabled. So, Judge Randolph saw the possibility of hope that she could be a better person if properly motivated and if she made the choice to be one. Additionally, FD was a con man. He manipulated people including JFD, his own children, and PG. Judge Randolph may have considered the likelihood that he did so with MT too. Those factors weigh toward serving concurrently.

Weighing against, and in favor of serving sentences consecutively: her lack of remorse, her lack of cooperation with law enforcement, and her continual contempt about the report that should have remained under seal. About the report: I don’t know if Judge Randolph believed FD had snookered MT about that report, but he may have given her the benefit of the doubt about it given that she was so persistent about trying to make it an issue. It seems there are multiple players who abused that report.

I think 14.5 years is a long time for someone like MT who has now been introduced to the concept that she is not above the law. Like Judge Randolph, I hope she uses the time to start acting like a better person. IMO, it will help that she is not surrounded by family who so comprehensively excuse her behavior.

Last edited:
When the judge was first explaining the sentencing process, I didn’t like when he said “Michelle Troconis her own life and she can decide what she wants to do or not do” etc. Why did he say that? It just made me think he was considering her future more then the victims, Jennifer’s children.
MT should have no life. She should sit and rot in jail for all of the damage she has done due to her choices and actions.
I admire each one of those friends of Jennifer’s who’ve devoted the last five years of their lives carry for and helping to raise the children.
Such selfless women to give up so much of their own personal lives to stand in for their friend. I don’t know anyone who would do that, but it is a testament to the kind of person she was and how people loved her.
And I thought it was so powerful when they revealed the fear they lived with knowing that FD and MT could try and take the children.
Worrying and needing armed guards to protect themselves and the children. I guess that was lost on the judge too.

Listening to the CT Fox61News this evening, it appears that MT may serve less than 14.5 years after CT's "good behavior" credit is considered. Given this fact, I truly hope that MT's pending charge of Criminal Contempt will be punished with a sentence for the full 6 months to be served consecutively to her Conspiracy sentence.

Class B Misdemeanors (up to six months)

Last, First: TROCONIS MICHELLE
Docket No:FST -CR24-0253792-T
StatuteDescriptionClassTypeOccOffense DatePleaVerdict Finding
51-33aCRIMINAL CONTEMPT OF COURT
B
Misdemeanor
1​
2/15/2024

ETA: If there was an ounce of integrity and/or remorse in MT, she would have pled guilty already to criminal contempt of court! SMH... :mad:

Last edited:
I am disappointed, but not in Judge Randolph. I think it likely his sentencing is about as severe as it could have been.

He gave MT the maximum on every count, so if there is a complaint, it is in the other ways in which he exercised discretion - in the decision how much of each sentence he’d require be executed vs suspended and in whether the sentences would be served concurrently or consecutively.

For every convicted charge, the sentence that MT must serve plus period of probation after serving is equivalent to the maximum, so MT will be imprisoned for about 75% of max, but she will be answerable to the state for 100% of the max. I have to believe that is on the stiffer end for a conspirator whose role was as limited as it was proven MT’s was (and by proven I mean the several specific acts Judge Randolph outlined as reasonable inferences a juror could make from the evidence and NOT other potential acts that many including myself have speculated upon).

I personally think it ridiculous that the state of CT does not hold a conspirator to the same standard as a primary actor. Conspiracy to Murder should not be a Class B felony; it should be a Class A felony, just as Murder is. And Conspiracy to other crimes should match the primary crime in level of severity for penalty.

Conspiracy is a “community” act. It contributes multiple minds, actors, and their resources to the success of the crime and to the concealment of it (making investigation more difficult) and it overrides multiple individual consciences. In such ways, some believe as I do that conspiracy crimes are worse than crimes committed alone. But in no way, are conspiracy crimes less than crimes committed alone - they are an organization toward achieving crime.

It is as though the state of Connecticut ranks the individuals who organized together and grants those who managed to keep their hands less bloody (or less detectably bloody) a reward, even though they participated in the planning, gave cover to the others, and helped conceal the crime. Like they are the dopey hirelings of more malevolent and wicked men who, because they are dopey or because they are hirelings, couldn’t possibly know better. But sometimes the wicked and malevolent goes all the way through the organization, as I believe it did here.

Finally, about the concurrent vs consecutive. AFAIK, MT has no priors. And, although I considered the character witnesses weak as nearly all were family or only became acquainted with MT after the murders when she was likely misrepresenting herself, several reported that she participated in a kind and meaningful way in charitable and church-community efforts. And others reported her work with horses and the disabled. So, Judge Randolph saw the possibility of hope that she could be a better person if properly motivated and if she made the choice to be one. Additionally, FD was a con man. He manipulated people including JFD, his own children, and PG. Judge Randolph may have considered the likelihood that he did so with MT too. Those factors weigh toward serving concurrently.

Weighing against, and in favor of serving sentences consecutively: her lack of remorse, her lack of cooperation with law enforcement, and her continual contempt about the report that should have remained under seal. About the report: I don’t know if Judge Randolph believed FD had snookered MT about that report, but he may have given her the benefit of the doubt about it given that she was so persistent about trying to make it an issue. It seems there are multiple players who abused that report.

I think 14.5 years is a long time for someone like MT who has now been introduced to the concept that she is not above the law. Like Judge Randolph, I hope she uses the time to start acting like a better person. IMO, it will help that she is not surrounded by family who so comprehensively excuse her behavior.
I appreciate your points and will try to understand the reasoning.
I think I get myself too wrapped up emotionally with the reality of everything that happened. I so admire the strength and sacrifice Jennifer’s friends and family have shown for these past five years.
But it’s hearing all five of her children’s heartfelt voices today that I’ll never get past. They lost both of their parents, they trusted MT, they miss their Mom and are struggling so badly still.

(c) Any person sentenced to a term of imprisonment for an offense committed on or after July 1, 1983, may, while held in default of bond or while serving such sentence, by good conduct and obedience to the rules which have been established for the service of his sentence, earn a reduction of his sentence as such sentence is served in the amount of ten days for each month served and pro rata for a part of a month served of a sentence up to five years, and twelve days for each month served and pro rata for a part of a month served for the sixth and each subsequent year of a sentence which is more than five years. Misconduct or refusal to obey the rules which have been established for the service of his sentence shall subject the prisoner to the loss of all or any portion of such reduction by the commissioner or his designee. In the event a prisoner has not yet earned sufficient good time to satisfy the good time loss, such lost good time shall be deducted from any good time earned in the future by such prisoner.
Conn. Gen. Stat. § 18-7a

Listening to the CT Fox61News this evening, it appears that MT may serve less than 14.5 years after CT's "good behavior" credit is considered. Given this fact, I truly hope that MT's pending charge of Criminal Contempt will be punished with a sentence for the full 6 months to be served consecutively to her Conspiracy sentence.

Class B Misdemeanors (up to six months)

Last, First: TROCONIS MICHELLE
Docket No:FST -CR24-0253792-T
StatuteDescriptionClassTypeOccOffense DatePleaVerdict Finding
51-33aCRIMINAL CONTEMPT OF COURT
B
Misdemeanor
1​
2/15/2024

ETA: If there was an ounce of integrity and/or remorse in MT, she would have pled guilty already to criminal contempt of court! SMH... :mad:
Her only regret is for falling in love with FD. What BS!!! She sickens me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95