GUILTY CT - Jennifer Dulos, 50, deceased/not found, New Canaan, 24 May 2019 *ARRESTS* #71

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Just in case anyone wants a better weekend I thought I’d share that York Correctional is on lockdown.
That means no in person visits, no video calls and no phone calls either. Oh and it’s brutally hot and humid here in CT so it’s just one hot mess in there!!

Just in case anyone wants a better weekend I thought I’d share that York Correctional is on lockdown.
That means no in person visits, no video calls and no phone calls either. Oh and it’s brutally hot and humid here in CT so it’s just one hot mess in there!!
Hmm. . . Do you know why? Did a prisoner escape?

We've had many discussions here about CT defendants released on pretrial bond who might be willing to forfeit their bond/collateral and escape.

That said, I recently came across the 1986 CT preppy rapist case (Alex Kelly) on American Justice, and was shocked to learn that the prosecutor did not oppose the defendant's request to relocate to Colorado to attend school while awaiting his trial!

It seems authorities were hoping for a win, win, situation since the defendant was constantly pushing the envelope with his evening curfew, and it became a challenge for the Darien PD to deal with the number of reports/complaints of sightings of the defendant out and about after his curfew. (While Kelly was equipped with an ankle monitor -- this was 1986 and technology on this date was proving less than adequate).

Perhaps the last straw that sealed the deal to allow Kelly to leave town until his trial was when the defendant was racing home with his girlfriend to beat curfew, and flipped his vehicle on the street --leaving his girlfriend injured on the road, while he raced home via the back woods-- arriving home just in time! What a jerk!

But more important -- allowed to leave the state, Kelly took further advantage when he applied for a passport in Colorado -- unknown to CT officials (again, low tech of 1986).

On the date of his CT trial, Kelly was a no-show and remained a fugitive for almost 9 years. Instead, he was lived the life of a EU ski-bum-- all courtesy of his monied parents.

Only in CT.... SMH.

I have absolutely no doubt that this was at least considered and researched by the Troconis family, and would have been again, if the judge had allowed her to be released on appeal bond.

I hope she’s melting.

I agree! And what further angers me about the Duchess of York now being 'indigent' is that IDK if she won't have to the pay the State of CT for her prison time or if the State of CT MIGHT have a claim against any inheritance to which she is entitled that would be waived because she is indigent? IDK whether all this gets tossed if MT is declared 'indigent'? Does anyone know? Cost for the inmate per the ACLU memo below is $90,885 a year for the Duchess of York. This is a bit amusing in that I'm not even sure she made this amount of money on her own selling 'rugs' or whatever she was importing from Argentina!

C. Legislative History and Recent Proposals

"Connecticut first enacted legislation relating to the cost of incarceration in 1995; the original statute merely gave DOC the authority to adopt regulations concerning the assessment of individuals for the cost of their incarceration.8 Legislation enacted in 2001 created cost-of incarceration liens regarding lawsuit proceeds and inheritances, and gave the state the right to take up to 50% of these funds to satisfy the liens.9 Legislation enacted in 2004 provided that the state may bring claims in superior court against individuals for the cost of incarceration within two years of their release, and excluded certain types of property from being used to satisfy such claims.10 The 2004 legislation also placed a 20-year time limitation on the state’s ability pursue lawsuit proceeds and inheritances. A bill proposed in 2021, HB 6338, would have reduced the authorized amount of a lien against lawsuit proceeds from 50% to 25%, and shortened the time period from 20 years to 7years after release to apply the lien."

"I. CONNECTICUT’S COST OF INCARCERATION STATUTE

"By statute, the Connecticut Department of Correction (“DOC”) is required to adopt regulations “concerning the assessment of inmates of correctional institutions or facilities for the costs of their incarceration.” The State “shall have a claim against each inmate for the costs of such inmate’s incarceration” for which the state has not been reimbursed".

But, I found this interesting that the State of CT could have a claim to her eventual inheritance from Mama or Papi Troconis within 20 years of release from prison (assume if they die while she is in prison as will most likely be the case that same provision would apply but IDK for sure).

"When a person who owes the cost of his or her incarceration receives an inheritance within 20 years of release from prison, the state has a lien against the inheritance in the amount of the COI, or 50% of the assets of the estate payable to such person, whichever is less.5 The probate court is required to accept a lien notice from the DOC commissioner and the court must order distribution to the extent the inheritance has not already been distributed.In addition, when a person who owes the cost of incarceration dies within 20 years of release from prison, the state can sue the estate to claim payment of the lien “to the extent that the amount which the surviving spouse, parent or dependent children of the decedent would otherwise take from such estate is not needed for their support.”6 This claim has priority over “all unsecured claims against the estate,” including repayment of public assistance, but not including certain other specified obligations".

ACLU commentary for those interested:
ACLU summary of the current State of CT law:
"Under Connecticut’s prison debt law, the state currently charges people $249 per day, or $90,885 per year, for the cost of their incarceration – more than what an in-state student would owe for 2.5 years’ attendance at UCONN, including housing, food, and books. This debt follows them for decades".

Well that’s about the only good thing I’ve read about criminal justice in CT.

It's 9am. I might need a cocktail.

Please, someone, make sense of that filing.

He isn't asking so much for it to be unsealed, but arguing that the sealing was in error, they were denied the full transcript he feels he was due... and next, I expect he wants the whole Troconic trial/verdict vacated.

Tell me I'm reading it wrong.

Please.

JMO

Brace yourselves. I scanned the first ten pages. Looks like he's going for grounds for appeal that the report was somehow improperly sealed....

If I'm reading this right, no wonder my blood is boiling.

JMO
This sure is interesting and ‘rich’ IMO. IANAL.

IIUC it seems the convicted felon’s public defender is filing the appeal. Saw reference above to something having perhaps to do with a certain report having been improperly sealed? If that is the case, IIRC seems the then defendant (now convicted felon) and her then counsel JS and AF were the individuals that worked mightily to have unsealed or partially redacted versions of the report introduced on the record, through testimony, and / or into evidence? And on multiple occasions in open court. I wasn’t able to discern the complete or actual basis for the appeal.

Has anyone seen filings in CT court perhaps to have attorneys JS and / or AF disbarred? MOO

Last edited:
So JS is the plaintiff in the above matter, as "a citizen". What? Why? How? Huh?

He seems to think it was wrongly sealed due to reasons. Transparency. And that IIUC the clerk was error somehow. He seems to think he is entitled to a full transcript, including the portion (4 pages?) that are missing (where the report was discussed, then sealed). But JS went to trial knowing it was off-limits.

Does he think he can get it unsealed?

Or is he going to try to claim that an improper sealing prevented MT from accessing exculpatory evidence as basis for appeal? Then will he turn around and claim double jeopardy.

Whatever he's up to, it stinks.

JMO

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member