Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Which begs many questions:
Why would FD still have plates belonging to a vehicle he no longer owned or had in his possession?
Why would FD/or/MT alter those same plates with adhesive tape?
Why would FD then dispose of those plates with the adhesive still on them in a storm drain on the evening of the 24th?
Wait, so what Suburban do the police have? So many Suburbans!

State of Connecticut says you are to turn them in. No one ever does because there is not penalty enforced if you don't. Almost everyone I know has any number of plates nailed or tucked on the walls of their garages.

So the vehicle they were put on would not be recognized either by JD or license readers or surveillance cameras.

I have absolutely no idea as to this third question when he could simply have pulled the tape off and put them back on the garage wall.

Changing license plates instead of just requiring a new sticker annually seems fiscally irresponsible to me.

I don't think the governing folk in Tennessee are all that brilliant but they figured that out here years ago.

Regarding accents: Ours are pretty unique down here too.

Last edited:
We’ve had several locals say that you have to surrender your plate in CT - but rarely do -it is possible that when he formed his plan he thought about someone seeing the employees truck (my guess he used that Friday morning) and altered the plates and used those on that truck - and figured a fedex box in a sewer drain was a great way to get rid of them IMO (and I still wonder if he re-used a fedex box addressed to him/fore group - now that would be priceless JMO
Or better yet, one addressed to JD.

In Connecticut the plates follow the owner so if I sell my car I keep the plates. The new owner has to show bill of sale and proof of insurance to DMV to get his own set of plates. If I buy a new car then I can use the plates of the new car.
So if you buy a new car, do you get new plates for the new car, or use the plates from your old car and just have the DMV switch the registration? How do people end up with lots of old license plates in their garages?

Changing license plates instead of just requiring a new sticker annually seems fiscally irresponsible to me.

I don't think the governing folk in Tennessee are all that brilliant but they figured this out years ago.
We don't change plates every year or have stickers. I have had my plates for at least 15 years.

In CA, plates follow the vehicle and not the person. The plate has a month and a year sticker, so when you renew your registration this year, you put the "2019" sticker over your "2018" sticker and you're good to go. If you sell your car, the plate stays with it. But my aunt and uncle in another state have a wall full of license plates on their garage wall. How does that work? If I sell my car, I take the plates off and the new owner has to get his own?

In Connecticut the plates follow the owner so if I sell my car I keep the plates. The new owner has to show bill of sale and proof of insurance to DMV to get his own set of plates. If I buy a new car then I can use the plates of the new car.
In FL, license plates follow the owner.
Florida FLHSMV Dealer Licenses

Do I have to turn in my license plate when I sell my car, and if I do, do I have to pay the $225 "new wheels on the road" fee again?
When a vehicle is sold and the license plate is transferred to a replacement vehicle the $225 Initial Registration fee is not required. If the vehicle is not replaced the license plate must be turned in to the driver license office or tax collector to prevent a driver license suspension. The vehicle registration will be printed indicating license plate canceled (when the license plate is returned to a tax collector's office) or the registration will be stamped "canceled" (when the license plate is returned to a driver license office). This may be used to exempt the $225 Initial Registration fee when a replacement vehicle is registered.

Can I give my license plate to someone else?
No, a license plate cannot be given or transferred to someone else. Section 320.0609(1)(a), Florida Statutes, requires that the registration license plate and certificate of registration shall be issued to and remain in the name of the owner of the vehicle registered. However, a personalized license plate may be relinquished to someone else. See RS-27 for more information.

Wait, so what Suburban do the police have? So many Suburbans!
Snipped
In the second discovery motion, his defense teams are asking for the Raptor, a Chevrolet Suburban, a Cherokee to be returned so he can get back to operating his construction business.

The defense also asked the state to return a MacBook Pro laptop, his server, other computers, 2 iPhones, hard drives and personal papers.
https://www.wtnh.com/news/connecticut/fotis-dulos-files-motion-to-get-back-evidence-seized/20821433

Yep another suburban

I’m still wondering if he made his way through the woods in the back of her property / we know he was there Wednesday 5/22 and could have scoped out a potential path/ would love to know his cell phone pings that day and the days before JMO
Seems like a great way to pick up a bad poison ivy reaction.

I don't think the governing folk in Tennessee are all that brilliant but they figured this out here years ago.

Regarding accents: Ours are pretty unique down here too.
Wonder if you keep the vehicle and renew the plate stays and you just do stickers? I’m thinking the surrendering of the plate goes hand in hand with selling the vehicle ?? @Rosiebones will know

So if you buy a new car, do you get new plates for the new car, or use the plates from your old car and just have the DMV switch the registration? How do people end up with lots of old license plates in their garages?
Every two years DMV sends a registration renewal which we fill out on line and pay the fee. Then we get a registration card back that we must carry in the car at all times, plus proof of insurance.

Snipped
In the second discovery motion, his defense teams are asking for the Raptor, a Chevrolet Suburban, a Cherokee to be returned so he can get back to operating his construction business.

The defense also asked the state to return a MacBook Pro laptop, his server, other computers, 2 iPhones, hard drives and personal papers.
https://www.wtnh.com/news/connecticut/fotis-dulos-files-motion-to-get-back-evidence-seized/20821433

Yep another suburban

Go back to operating his (oh so successful) construction business :rolleyes:

Although it’s ludicrous, FD might contend they were altered 10 years ago for some non-criminal reason.

More importantly, LE needs to document they were used in the planning, action, or aftermath directly related to the crime. That brings in Pre-Meditation.

I think it’s clear to any normal person that these were altered in a deliberate pre-meditated fashion and used during the crime and / or it’s direct aftermath.

But then you have juries and they have been known to believe unreasonable things.

It is interesting that they were inserted into a storm drain with adhesive tape still doctoring them and not along Albany Avenue with the other trashbags. Did he intend to go back for them?
Use them later? I mean they would have been shredded and incinerated along with everything else or did he just forget because he was in such a hurry and just grabbed a Fed Ex mailer box that was already in the Raptor and shove them in the storm drain because he was out of garbage bags?
Or because none of the items in the bags had anything LE could necessarily be connected back to him and he didn’t want to risk those plates being connected somehow?
As a business owner he probably has Fed Ex mailers lying around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Clean