Deceased/Not Found CT - Jennifer Dulos, 50, New Canaan, 24 May 2019 *ARRESTS* #46

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well - since I can't access any Conneticut court sites - and I really hate that I have bother people to ask for court dates - so yes, it is a personal preference. I follow quite a LOT of other cases on here - and it just gets too much for me.... :)

and yes I agree that the other financial stuff is associated with FD.

But if someone wants to write up "when" these other court cases are coming up - I "guess" I can add them to my stuff....

Duly noted...You are most gracious! Thanks. :)

Just found the rest of the article installments - well done IMO and so glad these were found!

Murder in Fairfield County – Air Mail

Excerpts from Part 1 article:

I never wanted Jennifer out of the way.
—Fotis Dulos

The moves made by Fotis Dulos on May 24, 2019, would have seemed nonsensical to any observer other than an omniscient narrator, the Devil, or God.

He woke at 4:20 A.M., about an hour before sunrise. He had spent the night apart from his paramour, a 44-year-old Venezuelan publicist and ski bum named Michelle Troconis, who was back in the master suite of Dulos’s 14,000-square-foot mansion, at 4 Jefferson Crossing in Farmington, Connecticut. He was behind the wheel of a red Toyota Tacoma pickup truck by 5:35, the early-morning sun turning everything into its shadow. At 6:36—scattered clouds above the highway now, fair-weather cumulus—the red pickup was recorded as it sped past the Fairfield rest stop on the Merritt Parkway.

It was not even his truck. He’d “borrowed” the Tacoma—without permission—from an employee. Fotis, 51, did not look remotely like a pickup-truck sort of guy. He was small and finely made, with large dark eyes and handsome features. In life, as at the movies, be suspicious of any character better-looking than is strictly necessary. A builder and developer, Fotis owned the Fore Group, which built the sort of high-end marble-soaked McMansions that devour forests and destroy marriages.

In life, as at the movies, be suspicious of any character better-looking than is strictly necessary.
It was after seven A.M. when the Tacoma reached New Canaan, a town on Connecticut’s Gold Coast. About an hour from Grand Central on the Metro North—35 miles as the crow flies—New Canaan is one of the wealthiest towns in America, and one of the safest. Before that morning, there had hardly been a murder in New Canaan in decades. The streets were filled with school buses when Fotis arrived, the station wagons filled with nannies, the Range Rovers and Saabs filled with moms who, on their way to work or not, keep track of their children and BMW-driving husbands via cell phone and G.P.S. When seen again at 7:40 A.M., the red Toyota pickup was parked on Lapham Road, on a turnaround beside Waveny Park—300 acres of trails, this was once the estate of Lewis Henry Lapham, a founder of Texaco—and the driver was apparently gone.

Fotis, having vanished from the matrix, reappeared several minutes later, only now riding a bike—the detectives believe it was him, anyway—a fancy French racer with curved handlebars.

Dark Pants, Hooded Sweatshirt, Pedaling Fast
He was going northwest on Weed Street, past lawns and houses, mailboxes, parked cars, and dogs, the wind in the trees whispering the same sentence again and again: You don’t have to do this. Fotis was wearing dark pants and a hooded sweatshirt that hid his face. He pedaled fast. It was a 20-minute ride—about 3.5 miles—from Waveny Park, where he’d left the truck, to 71 Welles Lane, the New Canaan mansion where Jennifer Farber Dulos, Fotis’s estranged but not yet ex-wife, lived with the couple’s five children.

Meanwhile, a 2017 Chevy Suburban, a huge S.U.V., was ghosting along Welles Lane, heading for the big house at the end of the cul-de-sac. This passing car—it was Jennifer Dulos, returning to 71 Welles Lane after having dropped her kids off at the New Canaan Country Day School—was captured by a private security camera, which tells you a lot about New Canaan, a place of constant activity, the comings and goings of repairmen, landscapers, pool guys, delivery trucks, much surveillance but not much crime, where just about everything that happens is seen by someone or something.

Jennifer likely parked the Chevy beside the Range Rover in the center bay of the three-car garage. It was shortly after 8:05 A.M. The garage door would have closed. For the next 130 minutes, the 9,800-square-foot house—six bedrooms, seven baths, and two half-baths—was quiet. These were the crucial moments when whatever did happen was happening. If the security cameras could see through wood and plaster, we’d know everything.

In New Canaan, just about everything that happens is seen by someone or something.
The garage door would have opened at around 10:25 A.M. A minute later, the Chevy Suburban was on the move. Shortly after that, it was parked near the red pickup truck on Lapham Road beside Waveny Park. The Tacoma then left New Canaan. At 11:20, it was seen on the northbound side on the Merritt Parkway, going back the way it came. An object was visible in the bed of the truck: the dandified rim of an elite racing bike. The truck was seen on Route 8 just across the Naugatuck River from the River Rock Tavern in Derby, Connecticut, then seen on I-84 in Waterbury, Connecticut, at noon, before it finally arrived at its point of departure, 80 Mountain Spring Road in Farmington, a house that Fotis’s company owned and that he’d been using.

photo-1581096302.jpeg

The house in New Canaan where Jennifer Dulos lived, and from which she disappeared.
Fotis Dulos had been gone just under seven hours, had driven around 140 miles, likely biked 3.5 more, and probably believed that, in that time, he’d solved all his problems.

How could he know that nearly every step along the way had been captured on some sort of surveillance—cameras posted on highways and at rest stops, on private front and back porches, and mounted on school buses, which, between six A.M. and four P.M., canvass nearly every inch of the state? In the weeks that followed, it was the job of New Canaan police and state detectives to first find and then assemble each piece of this puzzle into a coherent picture. The detectives were in fact trying to pull off the most difficult feat in police work, a trick that’s been attempted in the U.S., according to one source, just 526 times since the early 19th century: prove a murder in the absence of a body.

One of the Richest Counties in the U.S. …
Fairfield County is one of the oldest parts of the United States. The British sought to destroy its farms and burn its villages in the Revolutionary War, then again during the War of 1812. In several Connecticut towns, a local will show you the musket shell or cannonball that’s been lodged in the tavern wall since the age of candlelight. Contractors at work on a house in Ridgefield recently unearthed four skeletons, soldiers killed at the Battle of Ridgefield in 1777.

Fairfield is also one of the richest counties in the United States. As of 2010, it was the nation’s sixth-wealthiest county, which does not do it justice. Fairfield County supplies bedrooms and retreats to some of the richest people in the world, with a special interest in financiers. Ray Dalio (net worth: $18.7 billion). Steve Cohen (net worth: $13.7 billion). Andreas Halvorsen (net worth: $3.7 billion). The Connecticut Gold Coast consists of just the swankiest of these swanky towns: Westport, Weston, Greenwich, Darien, and New Canaan, which may be the most affluent of them all. These towns stand for a certain American social context—old money, horses, and blueblood snobbery—which is why a certain kind of movie had always been set there. The Man in the Gray Flannel Suit, The Stepford Wives, The Swimmer, and The Ice Storm. It’s where the heroes and villains of Showtime’s Billions machinate and scheme. New Canaan was supposedly a setting for Gentleman’s Agreement, in which Gregory Peck posed as a Jew to unmask the “gentleman’s agreement” that kept real-estate brokers from selling property to Jews.

----------------------

There’s something mesmerizing about rich and super-rich people who go off the rails, with Fotis Dulos being a prime example. They fascinate because they make you realize that no amount of money or square footage can fix what’s wrong with some people.[BBM]

Crime, when it does come to the Gold Coast towns, which is not often, tends to be of the domestic variety, ugly and strange but focused on the family.[BBM]

---------------------------------------

There are emotions, the world as it seems, and then there are facts, the world as it is. Here are some facts. Fotis re-united with Jennifer in the spring of 2004. He finalized his divorce in July and married Jennifer in August. He started a home-building business that same year, perhaps as soon as he had access to the Farber fortune. Over the next decade, he would support that business with millions of dollars borrowed from the Farbers. What happened in that time—the kids, successes, and failures—was probably meant to bind the family and erase the debt—Fotis later said he was never expected to repay—but ended up destroying every life in its vicinity instead. [BBM]

Last edited:
The SW details a number of cell phone dump requests for key times in the investigation and I thought these were interesting as a starting point:

Day prior to JFd Murder:
5/23/19 9:53PM EST until 10:23 PM EST 4 Jefferson Crossing, Farmington, CT
5/23/19 10:10PM EST until 10:40PM EST 585 Middle Road, Farmington, CT

View attachment 232307

Day of JFd Murder:
5/24/19
7:01AM EST until 7:30am EST 4 Jefferson Crossing, Farmington
1:20PM EST until 1:50PM EST 80 MS, Farmington
2:15Pm EST until 2:45PM EST 190 Old Farms Road, Avon
2:30PM EST until 3:00PM EST 193 Birch Street, Bristol
7:11PM EST until 7:41PM EST 26 Crossroads Plaza, West Hartford

View attachment 232310

190 Old Farms Road, Avon
Avon Self Storage
Avon Self Storage, Climate Controlled Storage Farmington Central CT – Serving the Farmington Valley of central Connecticut

The 26 Crossroads Plaza address is interesting because one would think it must be in reference to the Starbucks stop after they were finished with the Albany Avenue dumpster date night of stupidity but the only Starbucks in this area is across the street in the Udolf building/plaza by Crown Market. Crossroads Plaza is a large, strangely laid out retail center with several restaurants, businesses, a Big Y grocery story, post office, library, and senior center. It has multiple buildings with
an underground level is some parts, main level across the whole center, and upper levels in other parts. I find it interesting they were in this location for 30 minutes. Maybe dumping the last stuff in the various dumpsters throughout the center?? IDK...

In any case, it is the sort of center that would be pretty desolate, especially at this time on a Friday of a holiday weekend and in certain areas (the businesses around the back side close pretty early on a Friday (especially a Friday of a major holiday weekend) and/or the staircases leading down to the underground/upper levels.

Last edited:
The 26 Crossroads Plaza address is interesting because one would think it must be in reference to the Starbucks stop after they were finished with the Albany Avenue dumpster date night of stupidity but the only Starbucks in this area is across the street in the Udolf building/plaza by Crown Market. Crossroads Plaza is a large, strangely laid out retail center with several restaurants, businesses, a Big Y grocery story, post office, library, and senior center. It has multiple buildings with
an underground level is some parts, main level across the whole center, and upper levels in other parts. I find it interesting they were in this location for 30 minutes. Maybe dumping the last stuff in the various dumpsters throughout the center?? IDK...

In any case, it is the sort of center that would be pretty desolate, especially at this time on a Friday of a holiday weekend and in certain areas (the businesses around the back side close pretty early on a Friday (especially a Friday of a major holiday weekend) and/or the staircases leading down to the underground/upper levels.
Yes, seems odd when I looked at it so glad you confirmed its strangeness. There is a Peoples Bank (Fd Bank) and a couple of fast food sit down places. IDK, do we see Fd/MT/KM possibly or some combo of these sitting down at Larry's, Moes Southwest or Triple Star (Chinese?)? Or, was the attraction the Wireless store to stock up on some burners or new sim cards? Or, was the attraction the grocery store which was large enough to blend in in the event that more bags or cleaning items were needed? My guess is that the place is covered with CCTV too so LE probably knows precisely what happened. Curious what they were doing and who exactly was there?

The time of day 711-741pm would lead me to believe grabbing something to eat but IDK it just seems like there would be better options around than this and this location wasn't super close to 4Jx either. IDK.

MOO

Yes, seems odd when I looked at it so glad you confirmed its strangeness. There is a Peoples Bank (Fd Bank) and a couple of fast food sit down places. IDK, do we see Fd/MT/KM possibly or some combo of these sitting down at Larry's, Moes Southwest or Triple Star (Chinese?)? Or, was the attraction the Wireless store to stock up on some burners or new sim cards? Or, was the attraction the grocery store which was large enough to blend in in the event that more bags or cleaning items were needed? My guess is that the place is covered with CCTV too so LE probably knows precisely what happened. Curious what they were doing and who exactly was there?

The time of day 711-741pm would lead me to believe grabbing something to eat but IDK it just seems like there would be better options around than this and this location wasn't super close to 4Jx either. IDK.

MOO

Absolutely there would be better options around. This shopping center sort of gave me the creeps every time I went there and was on its way out a few years ago and then got some life breathed into it by way of some new tenants. By the way...Larry's is actually Harry's and they have the best pizza (even better than New Haven in my opinion) and this merchant is the standout in the center, the sole reason most people even went there.

Then add psychopath to both descriptions of FD and MT.
Thank you for this comment, @spaz1959.

If it's so hard dealing with 5 kids, why didn't Jennifer flip out? She was with them almost all the time - he was not.

I must be the only one of this opinion, but this article does NOT see life from Jennifer's point of view at all.
  • Life was not a prison for him. That's absurd! He took off all the time. He went wherever he wanted, on the Farber money. "Fotis began to disappear for days, then weeks at a time." No. He had been gone for weeks from long before the 5th child!
  • Fd had affairs long before the 5th child.
  • Not everyone with 5 kids runs off and has affairs, let alone murdering the spouse.
  • Fd basically stalked Jennifer and then "ran into her" while he was still married.
  • Jennifer didn't try to trap him with the last baby, as implied.
  • Jennifer was the one trying to make a romantic relationship work even with the kids. He had already 'checked out' long before. He was always looking for someone else.
  • Fd is the one who wanted lots of kids, though she loved them all dearly.
  • Jennifer didn't want to move up to that area. He did. She was sad to move.
So many more details were only from the male point of view. Very odd.

The details of the area are excellent. But it's not a real estate ad!

This article normalizes his behavior in a most offensive way.

Last edited:

MOO
I think the key here is your quote “covered with CCTV”.
These SWs were early in the case, and LE was likely trying to correlate CCTV video pics of vehicles (Raptor in this case) with MT and FD cell pings (these SWs are for cell tower dumps, so they can see all the numbers that are pinging there during the 30 minute window).
Since subsequent AWs specify 7:41pm as the time MT and FD left the Albany area and finished up their dumping spree, this is likely the last CCTV timepoint LE had (at the time).
The SWs for cell towers dumps were probably data for LE to corroborate and show it was FD and MT that they have on camera and that their phones were in that area at that time.
It could just mean that MT and FD passed by there, it doesn’t necessarily mean that they stopped there or were there for 30 minutes. All the tower dump requests seem to be for a period of 30 minutes likely to have a reasonable window to sort through data and to deal with any timestamp errors or discrepancies in the cameras.

I suspect that book is what BR wrote but since his name is in the mud he had to use that other guy. Not all the information is correct either and has spelling errors that BR makes. That’s why I think it’s him and refuse to read or spread it. JMO
On top of that it’s so low to talk about if they hooked up in college. JMO

Yes- I believe I read that the general policy for missing adults to be “missing” in CT is 48 hours. I think a full out search before that surprised Fotis.

I also agree that he never got outside of himself to even consider that FC was making decisions focused on the best interest if the children (please, i am not trying to discuss how successfully) and was unable to conceptualize that anything deeper than “she’s picking on me,” was going on. Therefore, without Jennifer to “pick on me,” he never dreamed anything would come between himself and the children. It wasn’t that he asked kids to lie for him, it was that Jennifer tattled. And for that matter, the lies would have been unnecessary if Jennifer lightened up about virtual polygamy. Gheesh. Poor little Fotis.

Still, I think he knew it would be a more intuitive theory that he killed or disappeared her than anyone else. But it would have to be proven. I still think he tried to leave random clues pointing this way and that.

I had always assumed he had not wanted the Albany Avenue stuff found. Now I am considering that he did. Maybe not in the trash bins. But around - a little shelter made from a weather tech liner by someone who could have used cash. Jennifer’s blood wiped off onto someone’s pants, tested when arrested for something else. All little dead ends.

It is not all that common for cars to get stolen impulsively because they are sitting there. However, it is pretty common that items get stolen from cars. I think Fotis could have hoped for someone to take the phone or anything from the car, and hopefully leave some Non-Fotis DNA behind.

I agree that he wanted her to just begone. But I think he knew he would be suspect number one, and he wanted a few other leads out there, too.

I don’t think he expected such a fight from Jennifer or so much blood. Then, he thought it was cleaned, and I don’t think he expected LE to realize how much violence had occurred in the garage so early in the investigation.

@kay74, AMEN!

Yes, Fd made this choice of choosing MT and her daughter (or digging his heels in because he 'respectfully disagreed with Judge Heller about her decision to exclude MT and daughter from visits with the 5 Dulos children) but in doing so IMO he effectively weaponised his children against JFd who was then dealing with the 5 children on her own and had at least 1 child in severe emotional distress during this period such that CPS involvement was recommended by that childs' psychologist.

I'm writing this post after thinking about the extent of the distress endured by JFd and the 5 children for nearly 10 months as Fd chose to not comply with Judge Hellers ruling on removing MT and her daughter from 4Jx during visitation of the children. I'm struggling greatly to understand what kind of couple (I'm putting MT and Fd together here) makes such a choice to inflict pain and confusion on children? Answering my own question I would have to only use the words "monsters and insensitive human being focused only on themselves". The fact that MT could be party to such an action and did so being a mother herself IMO makes the situation absolutely impossible to understand what she was thinking about other than herself and preserving whatever relationship she had with Fd. Just giving thought to the possible role of MT in this decision simply is IMO enraging as I don't for a second believe that Fd made the decision in a vacuum without discussing it with MT. Nope, don't buy it. I also do wonder if MT very much fanned the flames of the situation by getting angry every time she and her daughter had to vacate 4Jx. I very much believe that MT was willing to pretty much do or say anything in order to maintain her title as "Queen of 4Jx" and if that included inflicting pain on JFd and the 5 Dulos children then it was no skin off her back at all IMO.

BUT, I can't but help taking that then entire scenario and putting yourself in the shoes of then 44 year old MT, a single mother of one child. What was she thinking? Did she care about just herself? Did she give any consideration to the impact of living amidst a contentious divorce with Fd might have on her daughter? Did she care about the impact on the 5 Dulos children of not seeing their father for 10 months? Or, was she totally in sync with Fd on the decision because it meant punishing JFd and inflicting pain on the 5 Dulos children (some of whom might have been too young to understand why they couldn't see their father).

It's hard not to believe IMO that MT supported the Fd decision fully to not see his children and if this is true it sheds quite a bit of light I think on her maturity, emotional development and who she is as a human being.

What kind of life and relationship or family life even could have been happening at 4Jx during this period of Fd not having contact with his children? What could the partner of Fd been thinking about regarding herself, Fd, her child and their relationship? Did either MT or Fd give any consideration to the impact of the Fd choice/decision on the 5 small Dulos children or JFd who was left to sweep up the pieces? What role did MT play in the Fd choice? Did MT issue an 'ultimatum' and said I hate being excluded and made to leave the house every time the children come and you have to chose between them and me? Did Fd even consult MT about his choice and it really had zero to do with the children but rather was about being told what to do by Judge Heller?

IMO none of what was playing out then in Family Court happened in a vacuum and to me it seems that MT might have also been selfishly supportive of the lack of visitation of the 5 Dulos children as it meant that Fd was present at 4Jx with her and not distracted during this period.

IDK but I keep coming back to this period of time when Fd didn't have access to his children and then I start to wonder about the partner of that person who also happened to be a mother and trying to figure out why the partner seemed to do nothing to push for resolution of the situation sooner (be it complying with the required therapy or parenting classes etc. or even agreeing with the terms of the Judge Heller order). I guess I cannot fathom any partner not caring about the impact of the decision on the 5 children and not be aware of the psychological damage it was inflicting on all parties involved (particularly if you mother was a psychologist and you yourself allegedly had a degree in psychology). I then wonder though if this period was the beginning of a well thought out plan to bring JFd to her knees by inflicting pain on the children which clearly were here life?

This period of time was crucial IMO in the divorce proceeding and MT was front and centre for all of it and seemed to have zero impact on resolving the situation. Was it because it suited her goals? Did she herself want to inflict pain and harm on JFd and the children? Is this just who she is and she frankly didn't care one way or another and left this in Fd hands? Any of these possibilities seem to say quite a lot about MT and her possible feeling of hate towards JFd and IMO also speak clearly to the issue of motive of MT in the plan to murder JFd.

MOO

Here is what I think...Fd drove that bus regarding the smackdown by Judge Heller. There is no way that he was going to let that judge tell him how he could see his children. And MT? Well, she went along with it gladly, for several reasons-she did not want to have to vacate “her” home, she didn’t want to deal with an additional 5 children, and she wanted Fd’s full and undivided attention lavished on her and her daughter. So she was cool with it.

I had always assumed he had not wanted the Albany Avenue stuff found. Now I am considering that he did. Maybe not in the trash bins. But around - a little shelter made from a weather tech liner by someone who could have used cash. Jennifer’s blood wiped off onto someone’s pants, tested when arrested for something else. All little dead ends.

It is not all that common for cars to get stolen impulsively because they are sitting there. However, it is pretty common that items get stolen from cars. I think Fotis could have hoped for someone to take the phone or anything from the car, and hopefully leave some Non-Fotis DNA behind.

I agree that he wanted her to just begone. But I think he knew he would be suspect number one, and he wanted a few other leads out there, too.

I don’t think he expected such a fight from Jennifer or so much blood. Then, he thought it was cleaned, and I don’t think he expected LE to realize how much violence had occurred in the garage so early in the investigation.
RSBM: I agree it's possible FD hoped the phone or car would be stolen. I don't see where FD thinking was sophisticated enough to say, oh, let me put a weather tec mat on Albany so I can blame a homeless guy. If he did think that, he's stupid. For one thing, I am sure JD Suburban had tracking. Can't remember if AW states that. How would a homeless guy in Hartford get to NC, 1.5 hours away, just happen to pick JD to victimize. Why would someone just take the mat and leave everything else. For sure though, the way things went down in the garage was very surprising and FD head was exploding trying to figure things out. MOO.
ETA: I am not at all discounting your idea about what FD may have thought about leaving the items on Albany. LE would have found the idea laughable that a homeless guy in Hartford would have traveled to WP and made it back to Albany with JD clothes, knife, pillow, mop, paper towels, garbage bags. All those items would have been checked for FD DNA anyway. MOO.

Last edited:
Just found the rest of the article installments - well done IMO and so glad these were found!

Murder in Fairfield County – Air Mail

Excerpts from Part 1 article:

I never wanted Jennifer out of the way.
—Fotis Dulos

The moves made by Fotis Dulos on May 24, 2019, would have seemed nonsensical to any observer other than an omniscient narrator, the Devil, or God.

He woke at 4:20 A.M., about an hour before sunrise. He had spent the night apart from his paramour, a 44-year-old Venezuelan publicist and ski bum named Michelle Troconis, who was back in the master suite of Dulos’s 14,000-square-foot mansion, at 4 Jefferson Crossing in Farmington, Connecticut. He was behind the wheel of a red Toyota Tacoma pickup truck by 5:35, the early-morning sun turning everything into its shadow. At 6:36—scattered clouds above the highway now, fair-weather cumulus—the red pickup was recorded as it sped past the Fairfield rest stop on the Merritt Parkway.

It was not even his truck. He’d “borrowed” the Tacoma—without permission—from an employee. Fotis, 51, did not look remotely like a pickup-truck sort of guy. He was small and finely made, with large dark eyes and handsome features. In life, as at the movies, be suspicious of any character better-looking than is strictly necessary. A builder and developer, Fotis owned the Fore Group, which built the sort of high-end marble-soaked McMansions that devour forests and destroy marriages.

In life, as at the movies, be suspicious of any character better-looking than is strictly necessary.
It was after seven A.M. when the Tacoma reached New Canaan, a town on Connecticut’s Gold Coast. About an hour from Grand Central on the Metro North—35 miles as the crow flies—New Canaan is one of the wealthiest towns in America, and one of the safest. Before that morning, there had hardly been a murder in New Canaan in decades. The streets were filled with school buses when Fotis arrived, the station wagons filled with nannies, the Range Rovers and Saabs filled with moms who, on their way to work or not, keep track of their children and BMW-driving husbands via cell phone and G.P.S. When seen again at 7:40 A.M., the red Toyota pickup was parked on Lapham Road, on a turnaround beside Waveny Park—300 acres of trails, this was once the estate of Lewis Henry Lapham, a founder of Texaco—and the driver was apparently gone.

Fotis, having vanished from the matrix, reappeared several minutes later, only now riding a bike—the detectives believe it was him, anyway—a fancy French racer with curved handlebars.

Dark Pants, Hooded Sweatshirt, Pedaling Fast
He was going northwest on Weed Street, past lawns and houses, mailboxes, parked cars, and dogs, the wind in the trees whispering the same sentence again and again: You don’t have to do this. Fotis was wearing dark pants and a hooded sweatshirt that hid his face. He pedaled fast. It was a 20-minute ride—about 3.5 miles—from Waveny Park, where he’d left the truck, to 71 Welles Lane, the New Canaan mansion where Jennifer Farber Dulos, Fotis’s estranged but not yet ex-wife, lived with the couple’s five children.

Meanwhile, a 2017 Chevy Suburban, a huge S.U.V., was ghosting along Welles Lane, heading for the big house at the end of the cul-de-sac. This passing car—it was Jennifer Dulos, returning to 71 Welles Lane after having dropped her kids off at the New Canaan Country Day School—was captured by a private security camera, which tells you a lot about New Canaan, a place of constant activity, the comings and goings of repairmen, landscapers, pool guys, delivery trucks, much surveillance but not much crime, where just about everything that happens is seen by someone or something.

Jennifer likely parked the Chevy beside the Range Rover in the center bay of the three-car garage. It was shortly after 8:05 A.M. The garage door would have closed. For the next 130 minutes, the 9,800-square-foot house—six bedrooms, seven baths, and two half-baths—was quiet. These were the crucial moments when whatever did happen was happening. If the security cameras could see through wood and plaster, we’d know everything.

In New Canaan, just about everything that happens is seen by someone or something.
The garage door would have opened at around 10:25 A.M. A minute later, the Chevy Suburban was on the move. Shortly after that, it was parked near the red pickup truck on Lapham Road beside Waveny Park. The Tacoma then left New Canaan. At 11:20, it was seen on the northbound side on the Merritt Parkway, going back the way it came. An object was visible in the bed of the truck: the dandified rim of an elite racing bike. The truck was seen on Route 8 just across the Naugatuck River from the River Rock Tavern in Derby, Connecticut, then seen on I-84 in Waterbury, Connecticut, at noon, before it finally arrived at its point of departure, 80 Mountain Spring Road in Farmington, a house that Fotis’s company owned and that he’d been using.

photo-1581096302.jpeg

The house in New Canaan where Jennifer Dulos lived, and from which she disappeared.
Fotis Dulos had been gone just under seven hours, had driven around 140 miles, likely biked 3.5 more, and probably believed that, in that time, he’d solved all his problems.

How could he know that nearly every step along the way had been captured on some sort of surveillance—cameras posted on highways and at rest stops, on private front and back porches, and mounted on school buses, which, between six A.M. and four P.M., canvass nearly every inch of the state? In the weeks that followed, it was the job of New Canaan police and state detectives to first find and then assemble each piece of this puzzle into a coherent picture. The detectives were in fact trying to pull off the most difficult feat in police work, a trick that’s been attempted in the U.S., according to one source, just 526 times since the early 19th century: prove a murder in the absence of a body.

One of the Richest Counties in the U.S. …
Fairfield County is one of the oldest parts of the United States. The British sought to destroy its farms and burn its villages in the Revolutionary War, then again during the War of 1812. In several Connecticut towns, a local will show you the musket shell or cannonball that’s been lodged in the tavern wall since the age of candlelight. Contractors at work on a house in Ridgefield recently unearthed four skeletons, soldiers killed at the Battle of Ridgefield in 1777.

Fairfield is also one of the richest counties in the United States. As of 2010, it was the nation’s sixth-wealthiest county, which does not do it justice. Fairfield County supplies bedrooms and retreats to some of the richest people in the world, with a special interest in financiers. Ray Dalio (net worth: $18.7 billion). Steve Cohen (net worth: $13.7 billion). Andreas Halvorsen (net worth: $3.7 billion). The Connecticut Gold Coast consists of just the swankiest of these swanky towns: Westport, Weston, Greenwich, Darien, and New Canaan, which may be the most affluent of them all. These towns stand for a certain American social context—old money, horses, and blueblood snobbery—which is why a certain kind of movie had always been set there. The Man in the Gray Flannel Suit, The Stepford Wives, The Swimmer, and The Ice Storm. It’s where the heroes and villains of Showtime’s Billions machinate and scheme. New Canaan was supposedly a setting for Gentleman’s Agreement, in which Gregory Peck posed as a Jew to unmask the “gentleman’s agreement” that kept real-estate brokers from selling property to Jews.

----------------------

There’s something mesmerizing about rich and super-rich people who go off the rails, with Fotis Dulos being a prime example. They fascinate because they make you realize that no amount of money or square footage can fix what’s wrong with some people.[BBM]

Crime, when it does come to the Gold Coast towns, which is not often, tends to be of the domestic variety, ugly and strange but focused on the family.[BBM]

---------------------------------------

There are emotions, the world as it seems, and then there are facts, the world as it is. Here are some facts. Fotis re-united with Jennifer in the spring of 2004. He finalized his divorce in July and married Jennifer in August. He started a home-building business that same year, perhaps as soon as he had access to the Farber fortune. Over the next decade, he would support that business with millions of dollars borrowed from the Farbers. What happened in that time—the kids, successes, and failures—was probably meant to bind the family and erase the debt—Fotis later said he was never expected to repay—but ended up destroying every life in its vicinity instead. [BBM]
Interestingly Air Mail is a relatively new online only publication from Graydon Carter. Graydon was a former editor at Vanity Fair. Dominic Dunne was an investigative journalist( and much more) also at Vanity Fair at the same time as Graydon. Dunne covered just this type of story line - think OJ, Skakel, Claus Von Bulow etc. I used to love reading him when I was younger. Dunne was originally from the hartford area.
This story reminded me of Dunne’s writing. I will say the author did lose some credibility mentioning station wagons and Saab’s - hard pressed to find many station wagons anymore in NC and SAAB stopped producing around 2010 ish. IMO

The address 26 crossroads Plaza indicates to me that they were in the parking lot of the shopping center on the lower grade by the pet store and post office. There is an actual road that runs from Albany Ave ( rt 44) where the parking lot is that runs over to Starkel Rd. My guess is they were in the car on the
phone. They probably got starbucks across the street (very limited parking) maybe MT ran in and then they pulled across the street into this parking lot. It is not very active at this time in the evening. I think they spoke to KM also sometime that evening. Renbrook is just west on rt 44 and this area is about 15 from FT home.

Interestingly Air Mail is a relatively new online only publication from Graydon Carter. Graydon was a former editor at Vanity Fair. Dominic Dunne was an investigative journalist( and much more) also at Vanity Fair at the same time as Graydon. Dunne covered just this type of story line - think OJ, Skakel, Claus Von Bulow etc. I used to love reading him when I was younger. Dunne was originally from the hartford area.
This story reminded me of Dunne’s writing. I will say the author did lose some credibility mentioning station wagons and Saab’s - hard pressed to find many station wagons anymore in NC and SAAB stopped producing around 2010 ish. IMO
Yes @waldojabba, loved Dunne's coverage of crime as IMO he was a true pioneer in the field of crime journalism and I'm not sure we have ever seen someone since that can weave a narrative like he could to make the entire scenario come alive in the brain of the reader! Miss him and his work greatly!

With you on the car references! Might have been better with Suburbans and Range Rovers!

MOO

Thank you for this comment, @spaz1959.

If it's so hard dealing with 5 kids, why didn't Jennifer flip out? She was with them almost all the time - he was not.

I must be the only one of this opinion, but this article does NOT see life from Jennifer's point of view at all.
  • Life was not a prison for him. That's absurd! He took off all the time. He went wherever he wanted, on the Farber money. "Fotis began to disappear for days, then weeks at a time." No. He had been gone for weeks from long before the 5th child!
  • Fd had affairs long before the 5th child.
  • Not everyone with 5 kids runs off and has affairs, let alone murdering the spouse.
  • Fd basically stalked Jennifer and then "ran into her" while he was still married.
  • Jennifer didn't try to trap him with the last baby, as implied.
  • Jennifer was the one trying to make a romantic relationship work even with the kids. He had already 'checked out' long before. He was always looking for someone else.
  • Fd is the one who wanted lots of kids, though she loved them all dearly.
  • Jennifer didn't want to move up to that area. He did. She was sad to move.
So many more details were only from the male point of view. Very odd.

The details of the area are excellent. But it's not a real estate ad!

This article normalizes his behavior in a most offensive way.
While well written MOO it put blame on Jennifer.
1. Having too many pregnancies, causes husband to wander.
2.Pretend FD saying to himself "you don't have to do this". Implies Jennifer pushed him to murder her.
Ugh....IMO

Yes @waldojabba, loved Dunne's coverage of crime as IMO he was a true pioneer in the field of crime journalism and I'm not sure we have ever seen someone since that can weave a narrative like he could to make the entire scenario come alive in the brain of the reader! Miss him and his work greatly!

With you on the car references! Might have been better with Suburbans and Range Rovers!

MOO
Vanity Fair has not been the same without him, IMO.

He took MT over this family.

"The statutory reference for conspiracy is C.G.S. Section 53a-48. The elements of the crime of a conspiracy under Connecticut law are:

• Acting with a mental element of intent to engage in conduct that constitutes a crime to be performed
  • An agreement with one or more persons to engage in the conduct
  • Any one of the group takes an overt act in pursuance of the criminal objective"
Source: Conspiracy Crimes | Fairfield County Criminal Defense Lawyer
Glory Alleluia!!!
They discussed, the crime was committed, action was taken related to the crime. MT didn't have to be present in NC to conspire.

The nice thing is that in CT, conspiracy carries the same sentence as the actual crime. :) If found guilty, minimum is 25 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member