Deceased/Not Found CT - Jennifer Dulos, 50, New Canaan, 24 May 2019 *ARRESTS* #51

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Since Fotis Dulos did not have a beneficiary, state law says Hug is unable to use the money in the account to pay debts for the estate unless it is determined that Jennifer Dulos predeceased her husband.

Daly could set a state precedent if she rules Jennifer Dulos is dead. According to an attorney representing Hug and former Farmington Probate Judge J. David Morrissey, no judge has declared a person dead unless the case met the statutory requirement of having been missing for seven years...

Based on the evidence, the state’s chief medical examiner, Dr. James Gill, concluded Jennifer Dulos was the victim of a “serious physical assault” and would not have survived the attack without immediate medical attention, the warrant states.

Gill said he has not been asked to testify in the hearing. Jennifer Dulos’ family has approved the use of the warrants to determine if she is dead, court documents said.

It is unclear if Daly will announce her decision during the proceeding.

“Based on my experience, she’ll study all the evidence and all of the information before she makes a decision,” Giannaros said

Meet Evelyn Daly: The judge who will decide whether Jennifer Dulos is dead

All three should have been held without bond. Such a shame.
I agree. Wasn't there a 10 minute gap on the Albany Ave tapes? He turned down a road with no cameras and when he came back on video many of the bags were gone. Didn't he luck out on that one. Was never clear if that garbage went to the incinerator or taken by a private trash company elsewhere, as I recall. All I remember is those determined police officers combing that land fill for weeks in the heat and stench.
MOO.

All the while, MT was stalling the investigation during this incredibly critical time by providing the detectives with many versions of her fuzzy recall (in english).

Evidently, the state of Connecticut is saying "all is forgiven MT, you are somewhat free to go." Alrighty then.

Marissa Alter@MarissaAlter

HAPPENING NOW: a news conference to discuss “Jennifer’s Law”—proposed legislation named after Jennifer Dulos—which aims to broaden the scope of domestic abuse in family court, protect domestic violence victims, and reform divorce and custody proceedings.
@News12CT

7:26 AM · Oct 22, 2020·

Replying to
@MarissaAlter
Jennifer’s Law was introduced in February by State Sen. Alex Kasser, who says her colleagues supported it, but it was never taken up due to the pandemic. She’s vowing to reintroduce it again.
@News12CT

7:30 AM · Oct 22, 2020·

Marissa Alter[URL='https://twitter.com/MarissaAlter']@MarissaAlter[/URL]

HAPPENING TODAY: A judge will hear arguments about whether to declare Jennifer Dulos dead even though her body hasn’t been found. A hearing in the Fotis Dulos estate case is set for this afternoon in Farmington Regional Probate Court.
@News12CT

7:14 AM · Oct 22, 2020

Replying to
@MarissaAlter
Dulos killed himself last Jan after being charged w/ murder & kidnapping in the death & disappearance of his estranged wife. The administrator of Dulos’ estate has asked the probate judge to declare Jennifer dead so he can access money in Dulos’ IRA to pay off creditors
@News12CT

7:16 AM · Oct 22, 2020·

Replying to
@MarissaAlter
Since Dulos did not have a beneficiary, that money can’t be used for debts until it’s determined that Jennifer died before her husband. Usually a person is not declared dead until they’ve been missing for seven years.
@News12CT

7:16 AM · Oct 22, 2020

Marissa Alter@MarissaAlter

HAPPENING NOW: a news conference to discuss “Jennifer’s Law”—proposed legislation named after Jennifer Dulos—which aims to broaden the scope of domestic abuse in family court, protect domestic violence victims, and reform divorce and custody proceedings.
@News12CT

7:26 AM · Oct 22, 2020·

Replying to
@MarissaAlter
Jennifer’s Law was introduced in February by State Sen. Alex Kasser, who says her colleagues supported it, but it was never taken up due to the pandemic. She’s vowing to reintroduce it again.
@News12CT

7:30 AM · Oct 22, 2020·
Bracelets and buttons have also been passed out to members of the crowd.
@News12CT

7:53 AM · Oct 22, 2020·Twitter for iPhone
Carrie Luft, spokesperson for Jennifer Dulos” family, is here in support of “Jennifer’s Law” and just addressed the crowd. “As her friend, I urge the Connecticut state legislature to pass this bill.”
@News12CT

Retweet

Replying to
@MarissaAlter
Dulos killed himself last Jan after being charged w/ murder & kidnapping in the death & disappearance of his estranged wife. The administrator of Dulos’ estate has asked the probate judge to declare Jennifer dead so he can access money in Dulos’ IRA to pay off creditors
@News12CT

What scum! Still trying to line everyone's pockets before the children get anything. I hope he is left holding his hand on his *$$ ! Moo

Replying to
@MarissaAlter
@News12CT

What scum! Still trying to line everyone's pockets before the children get anything. I hope he is left holding his hand on his *$$ ! Moo

I agree that the lawyers in this case do look like a "murder of crows carrying briefcases" standing around roadkill.

However, I commend Jennifer's family and friends for often reminding us what is really important in this case. The children of JFD, other children, women, and whole families being impacted by an outdated definition of abuse, and the love and grace with which JFD lived her life.

I'll repeat Carrie Luft's message from this morning as posted by Marissa Alter:
Carrie Luft, spokesperson for Jennifer Dulos” family, is here in support of “Jennifer’s Law” and just addressed the crowd. “As her friend, I urge the Connecticut state legislature to pass this bill.”

Since Fotis Dulos did not have a beneficiary, state law says Hug is unable to use the money in the account to pay debts for the estate unless it is determined that Jennifer Dulos predeceased her husband.

Daly could set a state precedent if she rules Jennifer Dulos is dead. According to an attorney representing Hug and former Farmington Probate Judge J. David Morrissey, no judge has declared a person dead unless the case met the statutory requirement of having been missing for seven years...

Based on the evidence, the state’s chief medical examiner, Dr. James Gill, concluded Jennifer Dulos was the victim of a “serious physical assault” and would not have survived the attack without immediate medical attention, the warrant states.

Gill said he has not been asked to testify in the hearing. Jennifer Dulos’ family has approved the use of the warrants to determine if she is dead, court documents said.

It is unclear if Daly will announce her decision during the proceeding.

“Based on my experience, she’ll study all the evidence and all of the information before she makes a decision,” Giannaros said

Meet Evelyn Daly: The judge who will decide whether Jennifer Dulos is dead

An outside the discussion type of question. Any legal or financial minds present?:

If JFD is declared deceased, before FD, would his estate inherit any life insurance, trusts, etc. that might be held in her name?

I would think that JFD's legal team would have had her protect her and her family's interests in the case of her death. I know that Attorney Weinstein seems to be in favor of the motion. I'm just wondering if there are any "downsides" to the motion.

For instance, FD's family couldn't mount any type of legal suit claiming FD and now his estate are/were entitled to any of JFD's holdings, could they? Personally, I would rather not have FD's relatives in the headlines again. IMO...JMO

Court TV on Mawhinney's release. (In the reader comments no one thinks that Fotos looks like George Clooney)

New Twist in the Missing Connecticut Mother Mystery
Clooney lookalike was just one of the inaccuracies in the story. I appreciate the overall message and tone of the reporting, but KM's STBX was never supposed to meet KM/FD on the day Jennifer disappeared. Not sure how some of the details reported get so bungled...

MOO

An outside the discussion type of question. Any legal or financial minds present?:

If JFD is declared deceased, before FD, would his estate inherit any life insurance, trusts, etc. that might be held in her name?

I would think that JFD's legal team would have had her protect her and her family's interests in the case of her death. I know that Attorney Weinstein seems to be in favor of the motion. I'm just wondering if there are any "downsides" to the motion.

For instance, FD's family couldn't mount any type of legal suit claiming FD and now his estate are/were entitled to any of JFD's holdings, could they? Personally, I would rather not have FD's relatives in the headlines again. IMO...JMO

Wouldn’t the kids be next in line to inherit no matter what?
I’m not sure if his family could request to become the conservator since they are minors.
I can’t imagine a judge appointing them.

BBM-I actually think that the life insurance issue is what is really going on here. His estate MAY get this money to go along with whatever else Dulos had-although insurance companies have been known to withhold the payment when the beneficiary is suspected in the death of the policy holder. And we don’t know whether or not Jennifer changed any beneficiaries prior to the divorce filing, but we do know that those changes could not be made AFTER the filing. As far as Jennifer’s trust is concerned, I am not sure what happens to that, in such a case, but I’d bet that Hug will fight to get it if it isn’t tied up and away from Dulos and his creditors and lawyers.

@Tomlinson_PE

The hearing comes on the heels of a request by Attorney Christopher Hug, the administrator for the estate of Fotis Dulos, to override a state law requiring a seven-year waiting period to declare a missing person legally dead.

If Jennifer Dulos is declared dead, her estranged husband’s estate would be granted access to a $194,000 retirement account that has been off limits.

Judge Daly has arrived to a roomful of lawyers. Hearing is about to begin
Hug said the Fotis estate’s debt is “reasonably frozen.” Hug said the 4 Jefferson Crossing home has been foreclosed in and transferred to a trustee of the Dulos children.

Hug says the homes owned by Fotis - including 80 Mountain Spring Road (which has also been foreclosed) and another Avon home - have “no equity.” He said a home owned by the Fore Group in New Canaan may have a little value, though.
Hug says Fotis’ estate has begun selling off assets from his combined properties for money.
Weinstein says the deed to 4 Jefferson Crossing, where Fotis lived, has been handed over to the Farber family
Dulos had a separate safety deposit box at Peoples Bank that contained more than $35,000 in valuables including Rolex watch, gold doubloons, rings and other jewelry. There is some dispute over who it belongs too.
Two additional lots on 84 and 88 Mountain Spring Road have also been sold to try and recoup debts, said Richard Weinstein, the attorney representing Jennifer Dulos’ mother, Gloria Farber.
Attorneys are now sparring over safe deposit box shared by Fotis and his ex-girlfriend Michelle Troconis. Weinstein argues that the box contained gifts given to the Dulos children for their christening, including gold coins, multiple watches and a ring.
·Attorney Jon Schoenhorn, who represents Troconis, said he doesn’t object to the Weinstein’s claim.

Attorneys are now sparring over items left at Fotis’ properties. Schoenhorn claims his client has not been able to retrieve items, including her child’s toys, from the home at 4 Jefferson Crossing.
There are two pieces of furniture, valued at about $800, in particular that are being contested. Troconis claims the items were a gift to her, but Hug said it is “nearly impossible” to get to the bottom of these disputes

@davealtimari

The Dulos probate court hearing has seven different attorneys at least. This is going end up rivaling the divorce case when it comes to attorneys fees. This time most of it is coming out of the remains of Fotis Dulos estate.
·
Several of Dulos properties have now been foreclosed on, Mountain Spring Road is already for sale and 4 Jefferson Crossing where Dulos tried to kill himself will soon be on the market.
One of items in safety deposit box is a Tiffany ring that likely belonged to Jennifer, also three watches for the the couples three sons. Gold coins were supposedly birthday presents for the children.

Apparently people will soon be able to purchase Fotis Dulos property at an online auction. Unclear what items that will be but estate has hired Nadeau Auction Gallery to sell it.

Last edited:
@Tomlinson_PE

The hearing comes on the heels of a request by Attorney Christopher Hug, the administrator for the estate of Fotis Dulos, to override a state law requiring a seven-year waiting period to declare a missing person legally dead.

If Jennifer Dulos is declared dead, her estranged husband’s estate would be granted access to a $194,000 retirement account that has been off limits.

Judge Daly has arrived to a roomful of lawyers. Hearing is about to begin
Hug said the Fotis estate’s debt is “reasonably frozen.” Hug said the 4 Jefferson Crossing home has been foreclosed in and transferred to a trustee of the Dulos children.

Hug says the homes owned by Fotis - including 80 Mountain Spring Road (which has also been foreclosed) and another Avon home - have “no equity.” He said a home owned by the Fore Group in New Canaan may have a little value, though.
Hug says Fotis’ estate has begun selling off assets from his combined properties for money.
Weinstein says the deed to 4 Jefferson Crossing, where Fotis lived, has been handed over to the Farber family
Dulos had a separate safety deposit box at Peoples Bank that contained more than $35,000 in valuables including Rolex watch, gold doubloons, rings and other jewelry. There is some dispute over who it belongs too.
Two additional lots on 84 and 88 Mountain Spring Road have also been sold to try and recoup debts, said Richard Weinstein, the attorney representing Jennifer Dulos’ mother, Gloria Farber.
Attorneys are now sparring over safe deposit box shared by Fotis and his ex-girlfriend Michelle Troconis. Weinstein argues that the box contained gifts given to the Dulos children for their christening, including gold coins, multiple watches and a ring.
·Attorney Jon Schoenhorn, who represents Troconis, said he doesn’t object to the Weinstein’s claim.

Attorneys are now sparring over items left at Fotis’ properties. Schoenhorn claims his client has not been able to retrieve items, including her child’s toys, from the home at 4 Jefferson Crossing.
There are two pieces of furniture, valued at about $800, in particular that are being contested. Troconis claims the items were a gift to her, but Hug said it is “nearly impossible” to get to the bottom of these disputes

@davealtimari

The Dulos probate court hearing has seven different attorneys at least. This is going end up rivaling the divorce case when it comes to attorneys fees. This time most of it is coming out of the remains of Fotis Dulos estate.
·
Several of Dulos properties have now been foreclosed on, Mountain Spring Road is already for sale and 4 Jefferson Crossing where Dulos tried to kill himself will soon be on the market.
One of items in safety deposit box is a Tiffany ring that likely belonged to Jennifer, also three watches for the the couples three sons. Gold coins were supposedly birthday presents for the children.

Apparently people will soon be able to purchase Fotis Dulos property at an online auction. Unclear what items that will be but estate has hired Nadeau Auction Gallery to sell it.

There are two pieces of furniture, valued at about $800, in particular that are being contested. Troconis claims the items were a gift to her, but Hug said it is “nearly impossible” to get to the bottom of these disputes. (BBM)

MT has removed items during two previous visits. Her summer shopping trip yielded all kinds of items, after the JFD family had claimed their items.

NOW....MT says more toys and furniture belong to her???? I need an explanation, other than greed. JMO...IMO

BBM-I actually think that the life insurance issue is what is really going on here. His estate MAY get this money to go along with whatever else Dulos had-although insurance companies have been known to withhold the payment when the beneficiary is suspected in the death of the policy holder. And we don’t know whether or not Jennifer changed any beneficiaries prior to the divorce filing, but we do know that those changes could not be made AFTER the filing. As far as Jennifer’s trust is concerned, I am not sure what happens to that, in such a case, but I’d bet that Hug will fight to get it if it isn’t tied up and away from Dulos and his creditors and lawyers.

Thanks jmoose....I had forgotten about the "you can't kill your spouse and profit" clause,

And, Hug would probably pounce on anything he could get his legal mitts on...:eek:

Hope the judge can stipulate that no profit can be made by attorneys, etc. for television, film, books, blogs, etc. NP will probably be coming out with a tell-all soon.

Full trial for death declaration:
Dave Altimari

Judge Daly says she is reluctant to set new precedent without a hearing and based on legal briefs which only cite an 1878 case to buttress their argument to declare Jennifer dead five and a half years before state statutes say she should be.

Judge is calling for a full hearing before declaring Jennifer Dulos dead says legal briefs arent enough to allow her to deviate from the state statutes to wait seven years.

And, MT continues to amaze....
Dave Altimari

To show how contentious the estate has become. There also seems to be a dispute over a few pieces of furniture, mirror, drinking glasses, kitchen knives and apparently a set of Lego’s found at Jefferson Crossing all of it worth less than a few thousand dollars.

@Tomlinson_PE
“This is not an issue I’d like to press on behalf of the estate,” Hug said. “I just want to get this resolved
Discussions have now turned to the matter of Jennifer Dulos and whether or not she should be declared dead
Daly says a report asking to declare Jennifer dead “failed” to sway her to deviate from state law. She said a full length hearing on the matter would be necessary before she can make a ruling
“There’s a great deal of interest in closure for the benefit of the family,” argued an attorney representing Hug and the estate of Fotis Dulos.
Estate admins of Dulos estate point to state police and chief medical examiner reports that based on forensic evidence Jennifer sustained injuries she could not have survived
Executors of Dulos estate asking judge to make decision today.
Attorney Paul J. Knierim countered, saying that following Sept. 11, 2001, probate courts declared individuals dead. “You didn’t hear about it in the appellate courts because there was no one arguing against it,” Knierim said.
Daly called Knierim’s Sept. 11 argument “interesting,” but said it only reinforces her belief that the death determination should be discussed at a future date

@davealtimari
Judge Daly says she is reluctant to set new precedent without a hearing and based on legal briefs which only cite an 1878 case to buttress their argument to declare Jennifer dead five and a half years before state statutes say she should be.
Judge is calling for a full hearing before declaring Jennifer Dulos dead says legal briefs arent enough to allow her to deviate from the state statutes to wait seven years
Former Probate Court Administrator Paul Knierin who is now in private practice is arguing that after 9/11 probate courts declared many people dead without death certificates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1