Deceased/Not Found CT - Jennifer Dulos, 50, New Canaan, 24 May 2019 *ARRESTS* #52

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard this "pound the table" adage while watching a recent report on the case. JS immediately came to mind as he had just filed new motions, that to me read like a desperate whine. MOO I am reminded of it again today after reading the new Backus article (which notably, states that "The search began after police said they discovered videos of Fotis Dulos dumping bags in trash bins along Albany Ave in Hartford the night of his estranged wife's disappearance."). Clever wording, Lisa. Failure to mention MT is not lost on me.

The old adage among lawyers goes like this:

"If you have the facts on your side, pound the facts; if you have the law on your side, pound the law; if you have neither the facts nor the law, pound the table."

If JS's defense including the state's breakdown of costs isn't 'pounding the table', I don't know what is....
He is using the only sticks he has left-attacks. More mud will stick to those who are hurling it.
Pound the table

MOO
Analysis: Search for Jennifer Dulos nears $1M in police overtime

Love it! Yes! I think JS is in complete panic mode. I believe he knows his claim that Michelle was clueless will fly like a lead balloon!

Perhaps he should’ve advised his client better! Michelle Troconis should’ve told the truth from the beginning. Big mistake! Now it’s too late as she doesn’t know what Kent said!!!! Blame LE! Desperation!!!! Moo

One year later and JLS and his one-size-fits-all strategy (i.e., civil rights heavy) has not changed. MT's defense has nothing to do with being innocent but how her civil rights are being violated!

Troconis' new lawyer expected to challenge evidence

Feb 6, 2020

360x0.jpg

Troconis spoke to police three times since Jennifer Dulos vanished on May 24, according to arrest warrants. Police said she changed her story several times and tried to create an alibi the morning of the disappearance by visiting friends and taking selfies with the Stop & Shop robot.

[..]

Schoenhorn is known for his passionate representation in civil rights and criminal cases.

[..]

“I’ve know Jon as a close friend and colleague for nearly 40 years,” attorney Gerald Klein said. “He’s a very smart lawyer, he’s aggressive and I couldn’t imagine a better lawyer for this type of case.”

[..]

“He takes a lot of the cases that other attorneys will pass on,” he said. “He does a good job and he’s aggressive, that’s what the lingering co-defendants really need.”

A graduate of Fairfield schools and Antioche College in Ohio, Schoenhorn worked as a journalist as he sought his law degree from the University of Connecticut.

[..]

Schoenhorn said he was one of more than a dozen attorneys who Troconis was considering to hire after Fotis Dulos died from an apparent suicide on Jan. 30.

[..]

“I’m not going to speculate on why they chose me,” said Schoenhorn, who took on Troconis’ case on Monday.

[..]

Schoenhorn plans on being more vocal about his client’s innocence, he said, and is also seeking to have some of the court-imposed restrictions removed as part of her release on a total of $2.1 million bond.

[..]

Troconis and Dulos also created “alibi scripts” that police found in their Jefferson Crossing home, according to arrest warrants.

However, Troconis and Mawhinney provided contradicting statements when interviewed by investigators, the warrants said.

New attorney for Michelle Troconis to question potential language barrier in Dulos case

Feb 6, 2020

Unfortunately when the big fish gets away, the law enforcement is now going to turn to what's next and if it happens to be the little fish, all the more reason that someone in that condition, in that situation, needs a strong defense and that’s what i'm going to provide.”

One of the first things Schoenhorn did was file a motion to move the prosecution from Stamford to Hartford.

He said he also plans to argue that his client shouldn't be under house arrest.

“There should be no house arrest," he said. "She should be free to travel at least within the United States. She's going to have to give up her passport. She has a 13-year-old daughter who goes to school out of state. She cannot visit her daughter. If her daughter comes here, she cannot leave the house even to take her daughter for ice cream. These are things we are going to be working on in the immediate future.”

[..]

Also arrested as part of the case was Dulos' friend and attorney Kent Mawhinney. He, like Troconis, was charged with conspiracy to commit murder.

[..]

"I'll just say this, if you look at the statutes, you have to prove a conspiracy which means an agreement," Schoenhorn said. "An actual agreement, a meeting of the minds to commit a murder, and in order to even be charged with tampering and hindering, you need to know what specific crime had occurred when even the police didn't know or didn't claim to know for what? Six, seven months?"

New Attorney For Michelle Troconis Speaks Out About the Dulos Case

Feb 7, 2020

Although Schoenhorn said his main argument is that the case should have been heard in Hartford in the first place, moving it out of Stamford might be beneficial to his client for another reason -- finding a fair and impartial jury.

“The jurors up here, in my opinion so far, would be less prejudiced than down in New Canaan where there are these vigils, there's all these memorials,” said Schoenhorn.

Nope-- I don't believe more than a dozen lawyers were wanting to rep MT -- more self hype for JLS!

I hope that KM is fully cooperating, set his contradicting statements straight, and JLS is left exactly where he started -- his poor victim client that did not have an interpreter, and she's nothing more than the scapegoat for a costly investigation.

MT's defense has nothing to do with being innocent but how her civil rights are being violated!

A missing, murdered mother -- what juror would not see through that defense...

MOO

Last edited:
Investigation Costs?
Hey Lisa Backus-would it be too much to spend, if the missing/murdered person was somebody YOU loved?
@Jmoore Thanks for your post.
If a loved one had been killed or if I suspected that, then certainly I'd want LE working 24/7 on the case, to hire detectives to double the staff, to go full blast, no holds barred, sky's the limit budget.
It prompted me to think about this from another angle. I don't know what the budgets of the involved LE agencies are, but muni and state LE budgets are not unlimited.

For the $500,000 spent in overtime in this case - ignoring the $ in annual projected budget costs - and how many other crimes could be investigated and solved, then later prosecuted? Other homicides or crimes of violence? What about other victims of rape, shootings, stabbings? And their families?

Not suggesting that ^ overtime $$$ was not well spent. No good answers here on the budgetary issue.
I hope those involved in JFD's death are prosecuted and serve some loooong time.

One year later and JLS and his one-size-fits-all strategy (i.e., civil rights heavy) has not changed. MT's defense has nothing to do with being innocent but how her civil rights are being violated!

Troconis' new lawyer expected to challenge evidence

Feb 6, 2020

360x0.jpg

Troconis spoke to police three times since Jennifer Dulos vanished on May 24, according to arrest warrants. Police said she changed her story several times and tried to create an alibi the morning of the disappearance by visiting friends and taking selfies with the Stop & Shop robot.

[..]

Schoenhorn is known for his passionate representation in civil rights and criminal cases.

[..]

“I’ve know Jon as a close friend and colleague for nearly 40 years,” attorney Gerald Klein said. “He’s a very smart lawyer, he’s aggressive and I couldn’t imagine a better lawyer for this type of case.”

[..]

“He takes a lot of the cases that other attorneys will pass on,” he said. “He does a good job and he’s aggressive, that’s what the lingering co-defendants really need.”

A graduate of Fairfield schools and Antioche College in Ohio, Schoenhorn worked as a journalist as he sought his law degree from the University of Connecticut.

[..]

Schoenhorn said he was one of more than a dozen attorneys who Troconis was considering to hire after Fotis Dulos died from an apparent suicide on Jan. 30.

[..]

“I’m not going to speculate on why they chose me,” said Schoenhorn, who took on Troconis’ case on Monday.

[..]

Schoenhorn plans on being more vocal about his client’s innocence, he said, and is also seeking to have some of the court-imposed restrictions removed as part of her release on a total of $2.1 million bond.

[..]

Troconis and Dulos also created “alibi scripts” that police found in their Jefferson Crossing home, according to arrest warrants.

However, Troconis and Mawhinney provided contradicting statements when interviewed by investigators, the warrants said.

New attorney for Michelle Troconis to question potential language barrier in Dulos case

Feb 6, 2020

Unfortunately when the big fish gets away, the law enforcement is now going to turn to what's next and if it happens to be the little fish, all the more reason that someone in that condition, in that situation, needs a strong defense and that’s what i'm going to provide.”

One of the first things Schoenhorn did was file a motion to move the prosecution from Stamford to Hartford.

He said he also plans to argue that his client shouldn't be under house arrest.

“There should be no house arrest," he said. "She should be free to travel at least within the United States. She's going to have to give up her passport. She has a 13-year-old daughter who goes to school out of state. She cannot visit her daughter. If her daughter comes here, she cannot leave the house even to take her daughter for ice cream. These are things we are going to be working on in the immediate future.”

[..]

Also arrested as part of the case was Dulos' friend and attorney Kent Mawhinney. He, like Troconis, was charged with conspiracy to commit murder.

[..]

"I'll just say this, if you look at the statutes, you have to prove a conspiracy which means an agreement," Schoenhorn said. "An actual agreement, a meeting of the minds to commit a murder, and in order to even be charged with tampering and hindering, you need to know what specific crime had occurred when even the police didn't know or didn't claim to know for what? Six, seven months?"

New Attorney For Michelle Troconis Speaks Out About the Dulos Case

Feb 7, 2020

Although Schoenhorn said his main argument is that the case should have been heard in Hartford in the first place, moving it out of Stamford might be beneficial to his client for another reason -- finding a fair and impartial jury.

“The jurors up here, in my opinion so far, would be less prejudiced than down in New Canaan where there are these vigils, there's all these memorials,” said Schoenhorn.

Nope-- I don't believe more than a dozen lawyers were wanting to rep MT -- more self hype for JLS!

I hope that KM is fully cooperating, set his contradicting statements straight, and JLS is left exactly where he started -- his poor victim client that did not have an interpreter, and she's nothing more than the scapegoat for a costly investigation.

MT's defense has nothing to do with being innocent but how her civil rights are being violated!

A missing, murdered mother -- what juror would not see through that defense...

MOO
Can't help but agree with this.
IMO,he wants everything tried in Hartford for HIS OWN convenience. Surely, any judge would recognize this.
He wants to be in his own pond with judges he knows and who know him. NC is unfamiliar territory.
And, I doubt that all these so called attorneys were under consideration.
JS blustering.
MOO.
I am guessing her old attorney is glad to be rid of her.
Just sayin' and JMO.

Investigation Costs?
If a loved one had been killed or if I suspected that, then certainly I'd want LE working 24/7 on the case, to hire detectives to double the staff, to go full blast, no holds barred, sky's the limit budget.
It prompted me to think about this from another angle. I don't know what the budgets of the involved LE agencies are, but muni and state LE budgets are not unlimited.

For the $500,000 spent in overtime in this case - ignoring the $ in annual projected budget costs - and how many other crimes could be investigated and solved, then later prosecuted? Other homicides or crimes of violence? What about other victims of rape, shootings, stabbings? And their families?

Not suggesting that ^ overtime $$$ was not well spent. No good answers here on the budgetary issue.
I hope those involved in JFD's death are prosecuted and serve some loooong time.
If ANY of the defendants in this case had cooperated, which I believe innocent people do, would the costs have been so high?

Investigation Costs?

I believe one has to look at the big picture here when assessing the costs. For example, the $500,000+ in overtime was overtime dollars for the first six weeks after Jennifer was reported missing on May 24. I think it's widely understood that the first days of a missing person investigation are the most critical. It's not a job where you watch the clock and go home -- ignoring how potential evidence could be destroyed. Or put off following a lead until the next day that could potentially lead to finding the victim.

The months-long search for missing New Canaan mother Jennifer Farber Dulos has cost state police thousands of overtime hours totaling at least $557,000 since she disappeared on May 24.

At least 193 personnel from 20 divisions of the Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection, which includes the state police, have worked 8,847.5 overtime hours on the case through the first two months of the investigation.

Those overtime hours alone have cost the state $557,609.21 through July 18, according to information released by the department Thursday in response to a records request made by the Courant last month.

Aug 8, 2019
Monthslong search for Jennifer Farber Dulos has cost at least $557,000 and thousands of police overtime hours

Last edited:
I think Erin Moriarty jumped the boundaries.
She prides herself on championing the people that are charged but not guilty.
Weighed in on MT, but didn't do her homework.
Thus, reported on the facts inaccurately, because it fit her narrative.
She needs to regroup and get up to speed on the TRUE facts.
Can she do that?
I think she can.
Her reputation is on the line.
MOO.

I think Erin Moriarty jumped the boundaries.
She prides herself on championing the people that are charged but not guilty.
Weighed in on MT, but didn't do her homework.
Thus, reported on the facts inaccurately, because it fit her narrative.
She needs to regroup and get up to speed on the TRUE facts.
Can she do that?
I think she can.
Her reputation is on the line.
MOO.
AMEN! Nailed it!

IMO,he wants everything tried in Hartford for HIS OWN convenience. Surely, any judge would recognize this.
He wants to be in his own pond with judges
He wants to be in his own pond with judges he knows and who know him. NC is unfamiliar territory.
JS blustering.

MOO.
Just sayin' and JMO.

he knows and who know him. NC is unfamiliar territory.
JS blustering.
MOO.
Just sayin' and JMO.

Honestly, if there was even half a dozen attorneys under consideration, I’d be surprised. If they saw what all was in the arrest warrants, I’d bet some of those attorneys turned them away.

Her lawyer, Jon Schoenhorn, told Fox News that investigators told his client that the bags she was accused of helping Dulos dispose of contained body parts.

Now was that conversation in the English that Michelle Troconis spoke with Atty Bowman, or the Spanish that Atty Schoenhorn states that she requires now?

The English of her Miami divorce decree, the English of her rug-advertising Instagram posts, the English of the Fore Group marketing materials....

I have a smattering of New Mexico Spanglish, but no experience with South American Spanish.

Is there a phrase that Michelle Troconis might have misunderstood as 'body parts' in translation?

Or is this Atty Schoenhorn releasing information that LE did not choose to release to the public but was included in discovery?

IDK

jmho ymmv lrr

Last edited:
Costs?
If ANY of the defendants in this case had cooperated, which I believe innocent people do, would the costs have been so high?
@Morgan10028 Agreeing, absolutely would not have been anywhere nearly that high.
Did not intend to give impression that I thought that LE should just ignore those big fats lies and their crim actions, or they were telling truth, or that LE should clock out w no overtime, or that JFD does not deserve justice.
Just saying there are other victims of other crimes. I don't have any specifics re these open cases or cold cases for these LE agencies. And no specific info for other agencies either.

As my earlier post said:
"Not suggesting that ^ overtime $$$ was not well spent. No good answers here on the budgetary issue. I hope those involved in JFD's death are prosecuted and serve some loooong time." bbm

Costs?
I believe one has to look at the big picture here when assessing the costs. For example, the $500,000+ in overtime was overtime dollars for the first six weeks after Jennifer was reported missing on May 24. I think it's widely understood that the first days of a missing person investigation are the most critical. It's not a job where you watch the clock and go home -- ignoring how potential evidence could be destroyed. Or put off following a lead until the next day that could potentially lead to finding the victim....
Aug 8, 2019
Monthslong search for Jennifer Farber Dulos has cost at least $557,000 and thousands of police overtime hours
@Seattle1 sbm

Very good point: the OT $ were heavily concentrated in early days. TYVM.

The thing is that this was more than even the horrible murder of a devoted mom to five little kids. At every turn, another layer of criminal activity was revealed and all of that had to be explored because it related to a murderer woman but also a multitude of other crimes. Real-estate deals that turned out to be shady or worse, KM’s involvement with his own separate as well as associated crimes, the attempts to put blame on others like FD’s employee, people who lived in less affluent areas, unclear sources of money and shady loan deals, and on and on and on. LE couldn’t ignore those threads because they were related to the suspects and important evidence plus so many of the activities discovered were LE problems in themselves...fabricated documents, odd car shipments to Greece, the death of FD’s mom after being run over in the driveway by the previous nanny, tons of JD’s and GF’s money diverted to FD, FD trying to run over JD...and these are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head. In my view, it wasn’t that JD was more important than other crime victims; it was that the case was such a tangle of suspect issues but with clues left to follow up and the conspiracy with MT and all her drama, KM...my gosh. Yet, JD was, in another way, decidedly special to so many who never even knew her because we DID know her: every kind, devoted mom who did all she could for her kids and others; a woman like people we do know, a woman abused by a cheating, greedy grifter with a cheating, greedy grifter girlfriend; a woman with five little kids brutally murdered and then discarded so her kids wonder every day where her remains might be. I’m not from there but I am very proud of LE and everyone who has worked so hard for justice for Jennifer—no matter how rich (well, not his money, really), bullying, self-centered, and threatening FD was and how vile his grasping, entitled girlfriend is. Letting this crime—these crimes—slide by just because it has been so hard and so expensive to try to bring justice for JD would diminish us all as people in my opinion. MOO.

The thing is that this was more than even the horrible murder of a devoted mom to five little kids. At every turn, another layer of criminal activity was revealed and all of that had to be explored because it related to a murderer woman but also a multitude of other crimes. Real-estate deals that turned out to be shady or worse, KM’s involvement with his own separate as well as associated crimes, the attempts to put blame on others like FD’s employee, people who lived in less affluent areas, unclear sources of money and shady loan deals, and on and on and on. LE couldn’t ignore those threads because they were related to the suspects and important evidence plus so many of the activities discovered were LE problems in themselves...fabricated documents, odd car shipments to Greece, the death of FD’s mom after being run over in the driveway by the previous nanny, tons of JD’s and GF’s money diverted to FD, FD trying to run over JD...and these are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head. In my view, it wasn’t that JD was more important than other crime victims; it was that the case was such a tangle of suspect issues but with clues left to follow up and the conspiracy with MT and all her drama, KM...my gosh. Yet, JD was, in another way, decidedly special to so many who never even knew her because we DID know her: every kind, devoted mom who did all she could for her kids and others; a woman like people we do know, a woman abused by a cheating, greedy grifter with a cheating, greedy grifter girlfriend; a woman with five little kids brutally murdered and then discarded so her kids wonder every day where her remains might be. I’m not from there but I am very proud of LE and everyone who has worked so hard for justice for Jennifer—no matter how rich (well, not his money, really), bullying, self-centered, and threatening FD was and how vile his grasping, entitled girlfriend is. Letting this crime—these crimes—slide by just because it has been so hard and so expensive to try to bring justice for JD would diminish us all as people in my opinion. MOO.

BBM

Excellent point.

Costs?

@Morgan10028 Agreeing, absolutely would not have been anywhere nearly that high.
Did not intend to give impression that I thought that LE should just ignore those big fats lies and their crim actions, or they were telling truth, or that LE should clock out w no overtime, or that JFD does not deserve justice.
Just saying there are other victims of other crimes. I don't have any specifics re these open cases or cold cases for these LE agencies. And no specific info for other agencies either.

As my earlier post said:
"Not suggesting that ^ overtime $$$ was not well spent. No good answers here on the budgetary issue. I hope those involved in JFD's death are prosecuted and serve some loooong time." bbm
And I am suggesting that the 3 defendants are the reason for the amount the state has spent on the investigation. Should the state have said "well, all of the defendants deny they were involved, so we're not going to investigate further or put resources into finding her"? LE knew that the 3 were involved and their stories were BS, and with that came overtime, and cadaver dogs, and cranes, and septic trucks, and searches, and on and on.

Just because the media isn't spotlighting some of the other crimes in CT does not mean that the state hasn't spent massive resources on those other cases. JS is specifically asking for the costs associated with this case as if to say the state now has to justify those costs at the expense of his client, and I believe his client is a major reason for expense.

I heard this "pound the table" adage while watching a recent report on the case. JS immediately came to mind as he had just filed new motions, that to me read like a desperate whine. MOO I am reminded of it again today after reading the new Backus article (which notably, states that "The search began after police said they discovered videos of Fotis Dulos dumping bags in trash bins along Albany Ave in Hartford the night of his estranged wife's disappearance."). Clever wording, Lisa. Failure to mention MT is not lost on me.

The old adage among lawyers goes like this:

"If you have the facts on your side, pound the facts; if you have the law on your side, pound the law; if you have neither the facts nor the law, pound the table."

If JS's defense including the state's breakdown of costs isn't 'pounding the table', I don't know what is....
He is using the only sticks he has left-attacks. More mud will stick to those who are hurling it.
Pound the table

MOO
Analysis: Search for Jennifer Dulos nears $1M in police overtime

Love it! Yes! I think JS is in complete panic mode. I believe he knows his claim that Michelle was clueless will fly like a lead balloon!

Perhaps he should’ve advised his client better! Michelle Troconis should’ve told the truth from the beginning. Big mistake! Now it’s too late as she doesn’t know what Kent said!!!! Blame LE! Desperation!!!! Moo
And I am suggesting that the 3 defendants are the reason for the amount the state has spent on the investigation. Should the state have said "well, all of the defendants deny they were involved, so we're not going to investigate further or put resources into finding her"? LE knew that the 3 were involved and their stories were BS, and with that came overtime, and cadaver dogs, and cranes, and septic trucks, and searches, and on and on.

Just because the media isn't spotlighting some of the other crimes in CT does not mean that the state hasn't spent massive resources on those other cases. JS is specifically asking for the costs associated with this case as if to say the state now has to justify those costs at the expense of his client, and I believe his client is a major reason for expense.

Agree 100%.

Michelle did not cooperate.

It’s becoming crystal clear that JS has no case and so he’s grasping at straws.

Michelle (or her family) has spend an exorbitant amount of money with AB and now JS.

It’s too bad she wasn’t more cooperative as LE AND her family could’ve saved a lot of money.

Now KM is cooperating and I’ll be interested to hear what he revealed in relation to MT.

moo

Agree 100%.

Michelle did not cooperate.

It’s becoming crystal clear that JS has no case and so he’s grasping at straws.

Michelle (or her family) has spend an exorbitant amount of money with AB and now JS.

It’s too bad she wasn’t more cooperative as LE AND her family could’ve saved a lot of money.

Now KM is cooperating and I’ll be interested to hear what he revealed in relation to MT.

moo

I think they did kind of a risk assessment and decided that since it seems like MT has skated along through life doing all kinds of things based on what is known from documents like AWs without paying a big price if at all and MT’s mother (who is relevant here in MOO because she has made herself so and presumably is paying) got off with little penalty after her tricky legal maneuvers that this would be the same. Arrogance can be expensive, it seems. :) MOO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyTheSleuth