GUILTY CT - Jennifer Hawke-Petit, 48, & 2 daughters killed in home invasion, 23 July 2007

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The jury has to agree on mitigating factors-like his mental state-remember shrink testifying Hayes was supposedly in a rage-if the jury believes he was in a rage that's a mitigating factor. And as I understand it, if they find there are mitigating factors, Hayes is not getting the death penalty.
I wonder if this is specific to CT since I haven't heard anything like that before.

I have heard of it but don't know if it is State specific. It must be. I don't think it would be fair if that was a factor though but who am I...?

Goz

I have been wondering that myself. It just seems like if there ever was a death penalty case it's this one. I can't figure out what they even have to debate.

Maybe this will answer some of our questions:

The jurors are grappling with a mind-boggling 47-page set of verdict forms for the six capital felony charges they convicted Hayes of on Oct. 5. They must first answer questions about the defense’s proposed statuatory mitigating factors, such as Hayes’ mental capacity allegedly being impaired.

If jurors unanimously agree there is a mitigating factor, the death penalty cannot be imposed. If they find none, they would proceed to considering prosecutors’ proposed aggravating factors, including the contention Hayes committed the crime knowing it created a grave risk of death to the victim.

If an aggravating factor is found, jurors would consider non-statuatory mitigating factors, such as Hayes’ difficult upbringing. And if they find one exists, they would then decide whether the aggravating factors outweigh non-statuatory mitigating factors. If “no,” it’s a life sentence; if “yes,” it’s death.

BUBM

http://nhregister.com/articles/2010/11/08/news/doc4cd7543d44587445172644.txt?viewmode=fullstory

The way Connecticut deal with the mitigating factors is a little different that other states that I have seen. And that makes it more difficult to reach a death sentence. It seems overly complicated to me. But its not my state. I agree with everyone that things arent looking too good right now for a death verdict, but on the otherhand, they havent came back with a life sentence yet either.

Today's the day...... Death it will be. Thinking positive thoughts.........

Any idea how long until they announce?

Buh buh Hayes.......... *snap* *snap* NEXT!!!!!

In the courtroom: Death x 2 so far

I feel like I can now breathe.

second count= Death.

Death it is for killings of Jennifer, Michael and Hayley!!! Thank God.

Another one bites the dust......Another one down, another one down, another one bites the dust.....Hey! We're gonna get you too, another one bites the dust........

And justice has been served.

Dr. Petit: surrounded by family, EVERYBODY holding it together! Very strong, hand holding, heads HIGH and tight lipped!

They had me so worried. Thankfully for Dr. Petit and his family they didn't sit through this trial for nothing.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxnum
Back