GUILTY CT - Jennifer Hawke-Petit, 48, & 2 daughters killed in home invasion, 23 July 2007

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The Connecticut Supreme Court has upheld its decision to abolish the state's death penalty, including for inmates on death row.

The 5-2 ruling, released Thursday, upholds the justices 4-3 decision last August that the death penalty was unconstitutional for all – including 11 convicts on Connecticut's death row – following the legislature's abolition three years ago of capital punishment in Connecticut. Lawmakers made the law prospective, meaning it applied only to new cases and kept in place the death sentences already imposed on those facing execution before the bill was passed.

Attorneys for those on death row challenged the law, saying it violated the condemned inmates' constitutional rights.

http://www.courant.com/news/connect...ath-penalty-ruling-upheld-20160526-story.html

Cheshire Killers Could Be Resentenced To Life In Prison Next Week

"NEW HAVEN — The death sentences of the Cheshire home invasion killers could be changed to consecutive life sentences at two separate hearings next week, the first proceedings to be held since last month's Supreme Court ruling that spared the lives of Connecticut's 11 formerly condemned murderers.

Superior Court Judge Jon C. Blue has scheduled arguments on pending motions by Steven Hayes and Joshua Komisarjevsky that say the killers' prison sentences should be corrected now that the state's highest court has said the death penalty is unconstitutional for all in Connecticut. Hayes' hearing is scheduled for Wednesday. Komisarjevsky's case will be heard June 17..."

http://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-death-penalty-cheshire-home-invasion-20160609-story.html

A doctor whose wife and daughters were killed during a Connecticut home invasion says it’s “very sad” a man sentenced to death for their slayings has been resentenced to life in prison.

Dr. William Petit was badly beaten but survived the 2007 home invasion in Cheshire. Two men were sentenced to death for the slayings of wife Jennifer Hawke-Petit and daughters Hayley Petit and Michaela Petit.

Convict Steven Hayes is the first of 11 death row inmates to be resentenced since the state Supreme Court ruled in August their sentences violate the state constitution’s prohibition on cruel and unusual punishment.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...6b16ce-334f-11e6-ab9d-1da2b0f24f93_story.html

On Tuesday, Komisarjevsky is scheduled to appear again in a New Haven courtroom to hear a different fate, one written this time by state Supreme Court justices who ruled that the death penalty is unconstitutional for all in Connecticut, including Komisarjevsky and 10 others on death row.

Blue is expected to sentence Komisarjevsky, 35, to life in prison without the possibility of release. He will be the third death-row inmate to have his death sentences voided since the Supreme Court ruling.
http://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-joshua-komisarjevsky-sentencing-20160725-story.html

Steven Hayes, one of two men convicted in the Cheshire triple homicide, told a judge Tuesday he doesn’t want to again put the victims’ family through the ordeal of a potential new trial, so he withdrew his appeal of the multiple convictions.

“I’m guilty,” Hayes told Superior Court Judge Jon C. Blue, who presided over his trial in 2010. “I played a part in it. I can’t change it.”

http://www.nhregister.com/general-n...hdrawal-of-appeal-in-cheshire-triple-homicide

Cheshire killers Joshua Komisarjevsky and Steven Hayes, both of whom were taken off death row recently, have been transferred to the Pennsylvania prison system.

The men had been resentenced to life in prison without release for killing three members of the Petit family in 2007. They are among the first four of the state's death row inmates to be resentenced since the state Supreme Court abolished the death penalty.

Department of Correction spokesman Andrius Banevicius said Friday that Hayes and Komisarjevsky were transferred to the Pennsylvania Department of Correction on Aug. 16, and will be housed in a maximum security environment there.
http://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-cheshire-killer-moved-to-pennsylvania-20160819-story.html

Random but I was thinking of Jennifer, Hayley and Michaela today. :rose:

Joshua Komisarjevsky doesn’t deserve a new trial in the 2007 Cheshire murders, the state’s attorney’s office said Wednesday in a legal brief with the Supreme Court arguing to reject his appeal, which is based in part on the failure of the state to turn over a series of police phone calls from the morning three members of the Petit family were killed.

State files rebuttal fighting Cheshire killer Joshua Komisarjevsky's claim for new trial

Joshua Komisarjevsky doesn’t deserve a new trial in the 2007 Cheshire murders, the state’s attorney’s office said Wednesday in a legal brief with the Supreme Court arguing to reject his appeal, which is based in part on the failure of the state to turn over a series of police phone calls from the morning three members of the Petit family were killed.

State files rebuttal fighting Cheshire killer Joshua Komisarjevsky's claim for new trial

Good grief, this is guilty as sin, everyone knows it. What on earth is the point of a new trial? So more money and resources can be wasted on his worthless *advertiser censored** and he can be convicted, again? Both him and his lawyers make me sick. I wish he'd just slither away into obscurity so everyone can forget about him.

Good grief, this is guilty as sin, everyone knows it. What on earth is the point of a new trial? So more money and resources can be wasted on his worthless *advertiser censored** and he can be convicted, again? Both him and his lawyers make me sick. I wish he'd just slither away into obscurity so everyone can forget about him.

I hope and pray that this piece of rotten garbage does not get a new trial.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back