Recovered/Located CT - Robert Hoagland, 50, Newtown, 28 Jul 2013

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Did he steal cases of items from a store room? Good grief...

After watching this episode last night, I feel more baffled than ever about what happened to this man. LE said Max passed a polygraph as well as some sort of statement examination by the FBI. I doubt he would be able to "fake" his way through these tests, but jmo. I used to think that he (RH) just took off but now have no idea what to think.

Could a person sufficiently self-medicate to pass a polygraph? In the case of a known drug user, would the examiners somehow try to determine if the person was drug-free before administering the polygraph?

I admit to stifling a laugh over $647 worth of condoms and gum. Someone is an optimist. But his breath will smell nice.

Ah, ok my apologies! I saw them show the screenshots of the website and thought it looked like WS, but it was pretty quick so I could definitely be wrong. I've been seeing a lot of out there theories posted in some other threads I've been following, so I guess it was already on my mind.

I finally just around to watching the Disappeared episode today. I must say, I've been on websleuths for many years and have read about a lot of missing person cases,but,this has to be one of the weirdest. I just don't know what to think after watching that episode! Maybe he was under a lot of stress, because of his, which could of lead him to suicide. But, wouldn't they have found his body by now! Needless to say this case makes my head hurt!

This case has also left me so baffled. The fact that his keys, wallet, phone etc were left at home makes me think that he was taken from his home. IMHO that shows he either had it all planned and left purposely with the intention of making it look like he had just disappeared or there's foul play involved.

I struggle to believe that he disappeared on his own volition and is living in another state and working in a restaurant. Of course there's the possibility but he had three adult sons - one of whom he was desperately trying to help - and would he leave the burden of that upon his wife? I know he had "disappeared" once before (for three weeks?) but he had lost his job, was embarrassed/ashamed and was seeking work to provide for his family. He also did nothing to cover his tracks the first time.

There's also the fact that his wife was able to get into his personal safe after he was missing and discovered the money (around $600 if I remember correctly) that he had taken out not too long before he disappeared. So had he gone missing voluntarily he wouldn't of had money to support himself - unless of course he had this planned for awhile and was putting away money here and there.

The Disappeared episode mentioned that a program had been put in his computer to erase all history searches. The detective said that this made it very difficult for analysts to search his computer. Either I missed it or it wasn't mentioned but did they say if it was able to be done and if (any) substantial information was uncovered?

seems to me like the son max and his friends had something to do with his disappearance. He was the last one to see him and he was into drugs and had dangerous friends. I just don't understand how he passed a polygraph though? Maybe his friends are responsible and he doesn't know about it? The whole case seems fishy to me.

I've looked at the family members fb profiles and it seems odd to me that only one son seems to be concerned over his father missing. The other two seem unphased. I know that everyone greaves in different ways, but whenever I see something like that it makes me look at those people suspiciously. The fb that was set up to help find him hasn't been active since 2014. Just my thoughts...

All things considered and factoring in Mr Hoaglands previous short term disappearance I found the confrontation he had with his sons drug dealers extremely important and suspicious. Remember that Mr Hoagland and his son cornered one of the potential 'dealers' with lead pipes only a couple of days before he went missing. We are also talking heroin so its hard drugs and big money.

Having had some personal hellish experience of opiate addiction and heroin dealers all it might have taken was for Mr Hoagland to imply he would be going to LE for someone in that circle to take some action against him. The emails to his wife show how keen Hoagland was to get these laptops back. I find it likely Hoagland could have gone back a second time to try and retrieve the computers (perhaps on his own) and potentially met with foul play.

I also, like others here, find it very suspicious that the son involved with drugs was found in Mr Hoaglands car after he vanishes. And although the son passed a lie detector we know that the son lied often and was untrustworthy from the hiding of all the valuables in the house. I am not suggesting the son was involved directly in the disappearance but he might well know more than he is letting on, perhaps fear is keeping him quiet.

I just don't buy this case as a voluntary run away, too much left at home including a great deal of cash and the car. It is either some form of the scenario I outlined above or a suicide IMO but it just doesn't seem Mr Hoagland had a history or was displaying any symptoms of depression. If the case is involved with drugs, and I fear it is, then a veil of silence may well be drawn over the case. In time though someone will talk. I hope for a break for the family.

If ALL the clothing he was last seen wearing is accounted for , what did he leave in. Did wife notice Any clothing missing from closet he could have worn ?

Sounds like a pretty simple guy and she would know his wardrobe .

MH dosent think it was ODD dad was gone all night when HE had the car ?! Com'on man !

TT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was no mention of missing tarp, sheets, etc. I want to know if they found the map.
I think he and the son went for a drive (maybe a day trip?) and the son went home alone. I'd like lie detectors run on the family. Drugs can skew the results (the first one the son took)

With the possibility of his computers going missing for drug money, I can see wiping personal info to prevent identity theft.

I haven't been following this thread, but the Disappeared episode pretty strongly called out Websleuths as causing the family quite a bit of grief with wild theories. Didn't specifically mention it by name, but showed the site during the episode. I think it's a good reminder to consider the family when throwing out theories without any facts to back them up.

That site did not appear to be Websleuths in my opinion.I do agree strongly about speculating on a case without cause can hurt not help.
Can you please show me where anyone on Websleuths posted about theories of a connection to Sandy Hook because I can not find any and feel this site would not allow such speculations.

With the possibility of his computers going missing for drug money, I can see wiping personal info to prevent identity theft.

Wiping personal info from the computers that are already gone? I'm not sure I follow your post.

Wiping personal info from the computers that are already gone? I'm not sure I follow your post.

I think that was a different computer from work maybe,not the 2 that went missing.

All things considered and factoring in Mr Hoaglands previous short term disappearance I found the confrontation he had with his sons drug dealers extremely important and suspicious.

I caught this case on Disappeared yesterday. Although I agree with previous posts about Websleuths not being mentioned/seen it did make me come here and look up the thread to see what everyone's thoughts were and I didn't read but one post about his disappearance being connected to the sickening mass school shooting. And even that post was just a sliding comment about another offsite belief. So I'm sure the son saw these awful conspiracy comments somewhere else - like facebook.

Regarding the post I quoted above - I must have missed where there was a previous disappearance by Mr. Hoagland. Can you briefly fill me in?
I can't believe there's been no trace, no hide nor hair of him thus far.

I caught this case on Disappeared yesterday. Although I agree with previous posts about Websleuths not being mentioned/seen it did make me come here and look up the thread to see what everyone's thoughts were and I didn't read but one post about his disappearance being connected to the sickening mass school shooting. And even that post was just a sliding comment about another offsite belief. So I'm sure the son saw these awful conspiracy comments somewhere else - like facebook.

Regarding the post I quoted above - I must have missed where there was a previous disappearance by Mr. Hoagland. Can you briefly fill me in?
I can't believe there's been no trace, no hide nor hair of him thus far.

Yes , when they were living in California 19 years previously he lost his job and was embarrassed so he took a " timeout" . But it wasn't that long . Obviously not a willingly disappearence this time imo

DL

I am very much interested in researching this case for my new investigative blog I am starting as a student going for their undergraduate degree in Criminology. Anyone have advice on how I can get a hold of news articles and other information on the case? I am not from the East Coast. I saw this case on Disappeared and it captured me. The events surrounding his disappearance are confounding and do not make much sense. Also, new to web sleuths so still trying to figure it out. Thanks!

After watching this episode last night, I feel more baffled than ever about what happened to this man. LE said Max passed a polygraph as well as some sort of statement examination by the FBI. I doubt he would be able to "fake" his way through these tests, but jmo.
Could a person sufficiently self-medicate to pass a polygraph? In the case of a known drug user, would the examiners somehow try to determine if the person was drug-free before administering the polygraph?
A test for such drugs is a standard part of a polygraph. Even so, the test itself is not that reliable. I wonder if if it's been studied in blinded tests to compare its accuracy vs an observant person watching a suspect to see if he sounds honest. Suppose it's right 80% of the time. That's not very useful.

The polygraph's main value is in psyching a suspect out into giving more information. This is why it's not admissible in court. I

Just watched a rerun of Disappeared again on ID about Hoagies case. Can't believe we are no closer to figuring out what happened to him.

If he went to confront the people he thought stole the computers, how did he get there if his car was home and Max was driving it. I can understand why he wouldn't take his wallet, he was walking into a den of thieves. But no transportation?

Maybe by bus? Still, I think it's a possibility that he went back there and they did away with him. People have been killed for less. If they did, they hid the crime well.

Oh and Websleuths was not the websites talked about on Disappeared. It is against TOS to have wild conspiracies without MSM links to back them up and make random unconnected statements of two completely separate events, especially one like Newtown Shooting connecting it to our victim. We are a victim friendly site. Anyone coming here to say RH had anything to do with Newtown would get a long vacay and the posts would long have been removed.

Just watched a rerun of Disappeared again on ID about Hoagies case. Can't believe we are no closer to figuring out what happened to him.

If he went to confront the people he thought stole the computers, how did he get there if his car was home and Max was driving it. I can understand why he wouldn't take his wallet, he was walking into a den of thieves. But no transportation?

Maybe by bus? Still, I think it's a possibility that he went back there and they did away with him. People have been killed for less. If they did, they hid the crime well.

Oh and Websleuths was not the websites talked about on Disappeared. It is against TOS to have wild conspiracies without MSM links to back them up and make random unconnected statements of two completely separate events, especially one like Newtown Shooting connecting it to our victim. We are a victim friendly site. Anyone coming here to say RH had anything to do with Newtown would get a long vacay and the posts would long have been removed.
I watched part of the rerun as well. My impression it was someone his son knew related to drugs or the laptops that came over to the house and abducted and murdered him.

Also, who buys a map these days? That seemed like an odd purchase by him. For what purpose?

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

I too just watched the Disappeared episode. What I heard was they had more than one car. During part of the story they say all the vehicles were accounted for and their keys. Also, the guys from the drug building passed polygraphs, but so did Max. I am 50/50 on what happened. I can see hints at leaving and of being abducted and murdered. I lean toward believing he is deceased. If he disappeared on his own, what kind of person would put their family through that kind of hell?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
distrustHUMANS24
Back