Identified! CT - Stonington (Ledyard), WhtFem UP8909, 18-30, JNHS 1917 Class Ring, Lady Clairol hair roller set, May'74 - Linda Sue Childers

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Yes I remember that, but was it DeFreitas girlfriend or Brown's girlfriend, I can't remember now. If that was the case I wonder now what cloths she was buried in? Maybe NamUs would know.

I can get you info to help get you in touch with Defreitas girlfriend. If that is any help to finding out the ID of the UID. I can not promise it will be helpful or if she will discuss anything.

That would be terrific. Has anyone followed up on this? I would volunteer to ask questions, but i would definitely need to refresh my memory -- I knew this case inside and out at one point. BTW, the clothes/curlers were found with a girlfriend/wife, and not buried. I'd have to refresh my memory about who had them and turned them over to the police.

I can get you info to help get you in touch with Defreitas girlfriend. If that is any help to finding out the ID of the UID. I can not promise it will be helpful or if she will discuss anything.

I have LOTS of questions for Joanne Rainello, I hope you can encourage her to be forthcoming.

What is it with missing persons and Does in CT being listed with inconsistent locations? Thread says Hartford. Namus says Stonington. Daily News says Ledyard. (There's another case listed from Fairfield County that is actually from New London County. I know CT is small, but heck, there is SOME difference between these places.)

Sorry if this has been covered, but do we know what the ring is made of? Does it have any hallmarks? If the ring is from abroad, the hallmarks would possibly tell us where.

I see someone already suggested that it could be J H Normal School.

The ring could be from many different sources.
since the dead female is in her 20's obviously it was given or once belonged to a person who was born 17-18 years prior to the date on the ring.
So I am guessing a grandma gave it to her or her Mother had it from her mother?
The initials on the ring I.L.N. must be the initials of the former owner?
The engraved raised letters on the top could be from:
National Junior Honor Society
or from New Jersey High School
or from ? A school in the area starting with either a J. or an N.?
After searching in WIKIPEDIA for high schools from that era and location of Boston and Connecticut I have yet to find any except NEW JERSEY that have an N or a J in the name.
Isn't anyone in the Websleuth's community familiar with any high schools with a ring like that?
I doubt it is that unique right?
Wonder how many of that type ring were sold in 1917 graduating class?
Also:
Since she was with bank robbers for one reason or another the ring may have been stolen by her or them and given to her.
Also as mentioned in a prior post a few pages back.
A female in her 20's was arrested with
Gustavus Lee Carmichael and William Royce
her name is
Lucille Civitilli [ or near that spelling]
I have not found any pictures of any of them has anyone access to any sketches or photos or news items with them pictured?
:thinking:

What is it with missing persons and Does in CT being listed with inconsistent locations? Thread says Hartford. Namus says Stonington. Daily News says Ledyard. (There's another case listed from Fairfield County that is actually from New London County. I know CT is small, but heck, there is SOME difference between these places.)

Sorry if this has been covered, but do we know what the ring is made of? Does it have any hallmarks? If the ring is from abroad, the hallmarks would possibly tell us where.

I see someone already suggested that it could be J H Normal School.

Good point....Ledyard, Stoninton, & New London County are practically all one in the same. But Hartford & Fairfield County are totally different.

Moo

Just taking a wild guess at the ring:

(Former) Holy Name of Jesus School
Upper West Side Manhattan

By 1905 Holy Name School had opened its doors. The Sisters of Charity taught the girls and Christian Brothers taught the boys.

...a member of Holy Name School’s first graduating class of 1906,...

http://www.holynamenyc.org/index.php/about_us/church_history

Then there is the impressive school building of 1904, with a former convent attached.

http://sthughofcluny.org/category/the-churches-of-new-york

School, located at Amsterdam Avenue and 97th Street, was organized in

http://nycnuts.net/genealogy/manhattan_rc_churches/entry_47/index.html

Just a curiosity.

A couple months after Carmichael and Mystery Girl's bodies were uncovered, the Lady of the Dunes was murdered. For a while, a Detective Tobias was convinced that the UID recovered in Provincetown (at the very end of the Cape) with her head bashed in and hands severed and removed, possibly with a trenching tool, was one Rory Gene Kesinger, who had been chased to Pembroke, MA, from locations across the country that included Alaska, and was part of a gun running and drug dealing gang. Kesinger was captured and incarcerated in Plymouth, but escaped (can't recall where I read it) in late '73 with the connivance of a corrupt jail employee. She is said to have borne a striking resemblance to reconstructions of the UID, but DNA tests from a sample retrieved from her mother in Colorado proved she wasn't the Lady of the Dunes. The Detective had guessed based, I suppose, on proximity in time and space, physical resemblance/age, and the likelihood that the hands were severed to prevent a match to fingerprints presumably on file. Others have suggested that the Lady of the Dunes might have been a victim of Whitey Bulger and company, because of Bulger's MO and his having resided sometimes at or near Provincetown at this time.

The thing is, that's the jail that Brown and Carmichael escaped from in 1968.

Obviously, Kesinger isn't our Mystery Girl UID, since she was alive enough to escape in '73, but she's not been heard from again. I can't find any news links for her that are unrelated to Lady of the Dunes, or a mugshot or other photo, and she's not listed in any missing persons sites. It would be interesting to know a little bit more about her, and about the investigation that fingered the prison guard who let Kesinger out, just to know a little more about the New England underworld at the time. It's just possible that sometimes prisoners were permitted to escape in order that they might be liquidated before they could cut deals, which seems to be what the Detective was getting at, and it's also just possible, though I admit it's very tendentious, that LotD was murdered to keep her silent about what happened to Carmichael and Mystery Girl, shortly after their bodies were uncovered. Is there anyone who was wanted for their testimony in this investigation who couldn't be found? I can't recall.

But as I say, at the very least I'd like have information about Kesinger, since she never resurfaced after her escape, and could well be among our UIDs. Upthread, Skigirl had noted that Carmichael and Brown were busted in Nevada with a small arsenal of stolen guns.

Just taking a wild guess at the ring:

(Former) Holy Name of Jesus School
Upper West Side Manhattan

By 1905 Holy Name School had opened its doors. The Sisters of Charity taught the girls and Christian Brothers taught the boys.

...a member of Holy Name School’s first graduating class of 1906,...

http://www.holynamenyc.org/index.php/about_us/church_history

Then there is the impressive school building of 1904, with a former convent attached.

http://sthughofcluny.org/category/the-churches-of-new-york

School, located at Amsterdam Avenue and 97th Street, was organized in

http://nycnuts.net/genealogy/manhattan_rc_churches/entry_47/index.html

You know, my first instinct when I looked at that ring was that it was for an all girls Catholic high school. You may be on to something.

Also, 1917 may not be the graduation year. It may be the year the school was founded. Some schools do that (and likely more did that back then.) I wonder if Josten's (one of the main class ring companies, if not THE main one) has a historian on staff. They opened in 1897.

these inconsistencies drive me crazy as well.... i recall that i ranted about it a few years back! hartford and ledyard are very different places in just about every way.

The ring could be from many different sources.
since the dead female is in her 20's obviously it was given or once belonged to a person who was born 17-18 years prior to the date on the ring.
So I am guessing a grandma gave it to her or her Mother had it from her mother?
The initials on the ring I.L.N. must be the initials of the former owner?
The engraved raised letters on the top could be from:
National Junior Honor Society
or from New Jersey High School
or from ? A school in the area starting with either a J. or an N.?
After searching in WIKIPEDIA for high schools from that era and location of Boston and Connecticut I have yet to find any except NEW JERSEY that have an N or a J in the name.
Isn't anyone in the Websleuth's community familiar with any high schools with a ring like that?
I doubt it is that unique right?
Wonder how many of that type ring were sold in 1917 graduating class?
Also:
Since she was with bank robbers for one reason or another the ring may have been stolen by her or them and given to her.
Also as mentioned in a prior post a few pages back.
A female in her 20's was arrested with
Gustavus Lee Carmichael and William Royce
her name is
Lucille Civitilli [ or near that spelling]
I have not found any pictures of any of them has anyone access to any sketches or photos or news items with them pictured?
:thinking:

because the ring hasn't turned up any connections i have started to consider it quite likely that carmichael gave her the ring and told her some sort of backstory about it but that it was really just something else he stole. i would still love to hunt down where it came from to know for sure, but i have a sinking feeling it would be a dead end.

Also, the ring doesn't seem to show 60+ years of constant wear. The interior engraving is still quite crisp and the edges of the rings that one would expect to be somewhat worn are distinct. Is it silver, gold, platinum? They all wear differently with silver wearing the easiest. (Silver is a 2.5 on the Moh's Hardness Scale, whereas gold, depending on the karat, can vary between 2.5 - 4.0, platinum is 3.5)

'Just found this, from May 1986

"The state's chief justice, while an attorney, asked a reputed mobster to help a woman convicted of armed robbery get driver's license under a false name, the woman told an impeachment panel.

The woman testified Thursday before the state House Judiciary Committee, which will determine whether there are grounds to go ahead with impeachment of Chief Justice Joseph A. Bevilacqua.

The woman said she was known as Joanne Raniello, Joanne DeFreitas and Joanna Emerson in the late 1960s and early 1970s, including a two-year stint when she was a fugitive. She surrendered in 1971 and was convicted of armed robbery, and hired the man she called ''Joe B'' to handle her appeal, she testified.

She said Bevilacqua, then a Providence criminal lawyer, helped her get the license in 1972, while her conviction was being appealed.

She told the committee Bevilacqua asked reputed mobster Raymond Badway to help her get a driver's license under the name Emerson, to match her fake car registration.

The woman was resentenced in 1974, said Robert Green, an assistant to special impeachment counsel Benjamin R. Civiletti.

SOOO, What was Joanne Rainello/DeFreitas/Emerson's REAL NAME???

http://www.apnewsarchive.com/1986/W...t-Fake-ID/id-28025c7f634255305983b7a2928b3d3b

Oh man. If only her LKA date was one year earlier....

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/h/hanley_lynda.html

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/25178/0

Hanley was last seen at Archie's Tavern in Pawtucket, Rhode Island on November 4, 1971. She got a phone call from a man and left immediately thereafter. She has never been heard from again. Three days later, her husband found her car parked at Holiday Inn in South Attleboro, Massachusetts. Hanley is from Lincoln, Rhode Island. That city's police are investigating her disappearance, which remains unsolved.

Also, note what looks like a class ring on her hand in one of the photos on Namus.

sheehy_denise.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/s/sheehy_denise.html
http://www.nampn.org/cases/sheehy_denise.html
http://missingme.2007.angelfire.com/denise_sheehy.html

Everything adds up except the age.

I had just taken a renewed interest in Sheehy as a potential match, but noticed that she is listed as one of two rule-outs in Namus.

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/8909

Just a curiosity.

A couple months after Carmichael and Mystery Girl's bodies were uncovered, the Lady of the Dunes was murdered. For a while, a Detective Tobias was convinced that the UID recovered in Provincetown (at the very end of the Cape) with her head bashed in and hands severed and removed, possibly with a trenching tool, was one Rory Gene Kesinger, who had been chased to Pembroke, MA, from locations across the country that included Alaska, and was part of a gun running and drug dealing gang. Kesinger was captured and incarcerated in Plymouth, but escaped (can't recall where I read it) in late '73 with the connivance of a corrupt jail employee. She is said to have borne a striking resemblance to reconstructions of the UID, but DNA tests from a sample retrieved from her mother in Colorado proved she wasn't the Lady of the Dunes. The Detective had guessed based, I suppose, on proximity in time and space, physical resemblance/age, and the likelihood that the hands were severed to prevent a match to fingerprints presumably on file. Others have suggested that the Lady of the Dunes might have been a victim of Whitey Bulger and company, because of Bulger's MO and his having resided sometimes at or near Provincetown at this time.

Obviously, Kesinger isn't our Mystery Girl UID, since she was alive enough to escape in '73, but she's not been heard from again. I can't find any news links for her that are unrelated to Lady of the Dunes, or a mugshot or other photo, and she's not listed in any missing persons sites. It would be interesting to know a little bit more about her, and about the investigation that fingered the prison guard who let Kesinger out, just to know a little more about the New England underworld at the time. It's just possible that sometimes prisoners were permitted to escape in order that they might be liquidated before they could cut deals, which seems to be what the Detective was getting at, and it's also just possible, though I admit it's very tendentious, that LotD was murdered to keep her silent about what happened to Carmichael and Mystery Girl, shortly after their bodies were uncovered. Is there anyone who was wanted for their testimony in this investigation who couldn't be found? I can't recall.

But as I say, at the very least I'd like have information about Kesinger, since she never resurfaced after her escape, and could well be among our UIDs. Upthread, Skigirl had noted that Carmichael and Brown were busted in Nevada with a small arsenal of stolen guns.

Just to satisfy your curiosity...Rory Kesinger is now in NAMUS. She does resemble the sketch, although the dates are all wrong.

I didn't have much luck but trying to find info on Joanne's last name being Grandy at the present time.

Just to satisfy your curiosity...Rory Kesinger is now in NAMUS. She does resemble the sketch, although the dates are all wrong.

I think Rory reminds me of Beth Doe. The eye color is wrong though but the sadness in the eyes looks the same.

Just a curiosity.

A couple months after Carmichael and Mystery Girl's bodies were uncovered, the Lady of the Dunes was murdered. For a while, a Detective Tobias was convinced that the UID recovered in Provincetown (at the very end of the Cape) with her head bashed in and hands severed and removed, possibly with a trenching tool, was one Rory Gene Kesinger, who had been chased to Pembroke, MA, from locations across the country that included Alaska, and was part of a gun running and drug dealing gang. Kesinger was captured and incarcerated in Plymouth, but escaped (can't recall where I read it) in late '73 with the connivance of a corrupt jail employee. <snip>

Obviously, Kesinger isn't our Mystery Girl UID, since she was alive enough to escape in '73, but she's not been heard from again.

<snip>

Wow, that jail was like a sieve.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LinLu
Back