Darlie Routier's Appeals & Court Rulings

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Jeana ~ how long does this appeals process go on? I ask because I'm curious about the Peterson case. I honestly don't think I'll be able to just forget until his last appeal has been exhausted.

Katz, I'm no legal expert, but I think that varies from state to state. Is the number of appeals the same, and CA is just a lot slower in handling those?

Regards,
Pea

KatzHome said:
Jeana ~ how long does this appeals process go on? I ask because I'm curious about the Peterson case. I honestly don't think I'll be able to just forget until his last appeal has been exhausted.

The decision yesterday was QUICK. We waited for a long long time for the court before this one to render its decision. There really is no set time for these things. The higher courts could be as quick as this one and from there, she'll just be waiting for the date to be set. While she's not likely to be executed on the first date she gets, it can't go on forever.

However, in the Peterson case, even if he receives the death penalty, he's not likely to be executed in California. He'll die in prison either of old age, disease or murdered by another inmate.

That's OK with me Jeana... and thanks Peake. I want to hear him get the Death Penalty ~ but I'll have to be satisfied with LWOP if that's the sentence that the jury returns with. I'm not really looking to see him executed ~ I just want him to get the harshest sentence available ~ and to me, that is the Death Penalty.

I know some people say "You can't be a Christian and still be able to vote for the Death Penalty." I disagree. It's not so much that I'm seeking their death ~ rather I want them ~jolted~ by the harsh sentence to seek peace with God ~ and the way that there is an in-general 10 year wait on Death Row ~ I think there is ample time for a person to repent. I might be wrong, but I would imagine that there is also more security for Death Row inmates, less chance for them to escape. I also think there is no chance of their being released from prison ~ unlike the guy who killed Dru ~ 20 years ~ it was not enough ~ 9 months after he was released he found another victim. And it might be a deterrant too ~ for those who calculate the odds of getting away with murder.

I don't think I'll rest until all of Scott's appeals have been exhausted ~ no matter which sentence he receives. I don't ever want to see the verdict overturned ~ I don't want to see another trial for him. It'll be kinda like following Darlie's appeals...

Katz, I consider myself to be a christian and I am probably the most outspoken proponent for the death penalty that Websleuths has ever seen. :rolleyes: I also believe that those who seek out God before they die may be forgiven by him and not spend eternity in hell. However, that's God's punishment. Those who have proven that they cannot follow the rules that society says they must abide by are also punished by that society. I feel that someone who murders two of her sleeping children in cold blood should be shown no mercy. If that is a sin, then I'll have to answer to God when its my time.

Yeah... I used to not believe in the Death Penalty ~ but then I learned things ~ and I now support it.

Yes, and I do believe that God does forgive anyone who wants to be forgiven ~ that the only people who go to Hell are the ones who "choose" to go there ~ but I also believe that restitution must be made in one way or another...

And the most frightening thing that I learned is that LWOP does not necessarily mean that a prisoner will not be released. Charles Manson was on Death Row ~ and now he's up for parole, what is it, every 4 years????

Thank God he's so crazy that they'll probably never let him go... but you never know.... and that is scarey.

Katzhome, Manson was originally sentenced to death, but when the Supreme Court threw out the death penalty, all death row inmates had their sentences commuted to life, but not LWOP.

Regards,
Pea

Thanks for setting me straight Pea ~ it makes sense to me that their sentences would have been commuted to LWOP ~ just "life" where they keep coming up for parole doesn't make any sense... but oh well...

Jeana and Katz, I totally agree with you about the death penalty. Not all people who kill deserve it, but anyone who could kill two sleeping children does.

Maybe she was influenced by drugs, hormones, and marital stress, but anyone who reacts in such a way to stress is a walking time bomb, and society can't afford to let her loose.

I have only read and listened to a small portion of what is on that website ~ yes I do realize that it is a "Darlie Is Innocent" ~ and there's tons more reading to do ~ but it seems to me that perhaps a new trial is in order.

I'm reading that requests for testing were ignored and denied... That the defense was only given a portion of the crime scene photos.... That a woman who lived 5 minutes away had her home broken into and that the intruder rummaged in a kitchen drawer ~ that a police officer told her it was for a knife to kill her if she woke... That her wounds were not really superficial ~ only superficial in that the wound in her neck did not hit the carotid artery. A necklace she was wearing deflected the knife and it was damaged. $12,000 in emergency surgery ~ ok, I realize $12,000 isn't a whole lot for surgery ~ but still...

I still have a lot more reading to do ~ but are there any real answers to the questions above?

The surgery was exploratory (per the trial transcripts). I think of superficial wounds as mere scratches, which they were not, but from what I understand, in medical usage, superficial is the appropriate term for her wounds. Compared to the boys' wounds, hers were nothing. You would think the more forceful attacks would be on the adult, not the children.

Slashing one's own throat seemed very odd for someone who wants to self-inflict wounds. That has and does still give me pause. It's not what I would do -- I for one wouldn't know how deep a cut can be made to be safe. But I also can't understand how anyone can murder children, especially a mother, but it happens. Plus I think that if an intruder did cut her, he would have done more than one "fatal" cut to be sure she was dead, just like the boys were repeatedly stabbed.

As for the woman and the robber, I'd be curious as to when this incident took place, and who is it that said the police officer told her that and when this story surfaced. I just don't buy that has any significance other than a red herring without more detail.

As for the crime scene photos, I don't know about all not given to the defense. But I've read the appeal documentation that is available online and so far, every claim to withholding evidence etc. has been convincingly rebutted.

I do think the transcript problems could have been cause for a retrial, but reviewing the steps taken to address the trial record they seem reasonable and thorough.

Manson and his murderous "family" getting their death sentences commuted to life instead of lwop I think was because lwop wasn't a sentence that was imposed at that time.

Regards,
Pea

Thanks for having so much patience and answering my, I" kinda think a review is in order" type questions... I don't really know anything about this case ~ and I do have an open mind...

Its funny ~ when I'm drifting off to sleep ~ thoughts of what I'm learning drift into and out of my mind... that never happened in the Peterson case...

Last night's last thoughts went something like this... she very more than likely is guilty... but I'm not sure she deserves the death penalty... more than likely pushed over the edge to many factors... that's not premeditated.

The jury reviewed that "silly string" tape, what? 6 or 7 times ~ boy I wish that hadn't seen it... or the defense had at least fought to get the memorial service that was illegally taped in too... seems the jury may have convicted her on mostly the silly string incident ~ and there was forensic evidence plenty... though, a whole lot of that did point to a staged crime scene.... but..........

And it bothers me that the crime lab's reputation is so tainted ~ or is it really? I do remember that that is a "Darlie is Innocent" site... And I know what goes on in the SII camp...

More reading needed...

I'm not an expert on Darlie's case by any means. I've read through some of the transcripts and post-trial stuff, that's it. If you haven't yet, you may want to visit the site Jeana posted about on another thread -- very knowledgable persons there, it is worth checking out.

The Harris County Crime Lab is the one that had problems -- the forensic testing for Darlie's case I don't think would have been done there. But if it had, you would think that would have been brought up in her appeals.

Regards,
Pea

Hi Katz. I'll be brutally honest here and say that 99% of what you read on Darlie's website is pure folly. Think Mark Geragos... & how he attempted to spin the evidence in Scott's favor.

"I'm reading that requests for testing were ignored and denied..."

That's simply not true. The defense had access to fibers, clothing, blood, anything they wanted. You'll see this when you read the transcript.

"That the defense was only given a portion of the crime scene photos...."

This allegation drives me nuts. Example: photos of the bruises. Charlie Samford (juror) said he didn't see them, but they were passed to all the jurors (again, it's in the transcript). Even Mulder said in a televised interview that the photos were shown! And Barbara Davis, queen of the 180s, complained that she didn't see them, either. Well, she described them perfectly in her book, "Precious Angels". The Routier camp hoodwinked poor Charlie & Babs had dollar signs in her eyes.

"That a woman who lived 5 minutes away had her home broken into and that the intruder rummaged in a kitchen drawer ~ that a police officer told her it was for a knife to kill her if she woke..."

That intruder must be marooned on Fantasy Island along with the Rowlett rapist, lol!

"That her wounds were not really superficial ~ only superficial in that the wound in her neck did not hit the carotid artery."

Her neck wound was deemed superficial by the doctors, though. It was only 1/4" deep...compare that to the deep wounds of her boys & it sounds more like a scratch.

"A necklace she was wearing deflected the knife and it was damaged."

It was a fine gold chain that couldn't possibly have deflected that butcher knife...not if an intruder meant business.

I didn't mean to butt in here, but my eyes glaze over when I read some of the misleading stuff on her website.

"the forensic testing for Darlie's case I don't think would have been done there."

You're right, Peake. Darlie's forensic testing was done at SWIFS and Gene Screen.

Mary456 said:
... I didn't mean to butt in here, but my eyes glaze over when I read some of the misleading stuff on her website.
That's the website I was referred to for having the transcripts ~ it was supposed to be a good source of information. I have stated in my posts that I realize that it is a pro-darlie site ~ and I am well aware of what the SII type sites are like... that's why I come here to ask.

Is there a website out there that refutes all the claims made on that site ~ with reference points to the trial transcripts?

"Is there a website out there that refutes all the claims made on that site ~ with reference points to the trial transcripts?"

The only one I know of is ours, the Guilty as Charged forum, but trying to track down refutations of each claim made on that site would be like looking for a needle in a haystack.

The transcripts are on Darlie's website, and that's the best - although the most tedious - way to challenge their claims. After all these years of discussing this case, we still spend a lot of time digging through the transcript to find some tidbit of information.

Mary456 said:
"Is there a website out there that refutes all the claims made on that site ~ with reference points to the trial transcripts?"

The only one I know of is ours, the Guilty as Charged forum, but trying to track down refutations of each claim made on that site would be like looking for a needle in a haystack.

The transcripts are on Darlie's website, and that's the best - although the most tedious - way to challenge their claims. After all these years of discussing this case, we still spend a lot of time digging through the transcript to find some tidbit of information.

You know Mary, it wouldn't be a bad idea for some of us to put together a document/webpage which refutes the claims (some of the ones listed above) point by point for people interested in the case. Between all of us I'm sure we could cover most/all of them. Then at least we could send newbies somewhere to have their initial questions answered.

What do you think?

Hi all, I'm new here, from the About.com Crime and Punishment board. There's this great voice analyst at: http://www.yourinnervoice.com/radio.htm

And he's very interested in analyzing Darli Routier's voice, but the 911 call is not clear enough for him to do. Does anyone know where there might be some of her testimony online?

Thanks,
Kaly:innocent:

Kalypso said:
Hi all, I'm new here, from the About.com Crime and Punishment board. There's this great voice analyst at: http://www.yourinnervoice.com/radio.htm

And he's very interested in analyzing Darli Routier's voice, but the 911 call is not clear enough for him to do. Does anyone know where there might be some of her testimony online?

Thanks,
Kaly:innocent:

Hi Kaly,

Are you referring to her written testimony or something spoken by her so he can analyse it?

If you want her testimony from the trial (in written form) it is available at www.routiertranscripts.com

If you want Darlie talking for analysis you can also find it at the same website as above but click on the 'media' section (it is of prison interviews rather than her verbal trial testimony which is not available). One of the first ones there is a monologue from Darlie I believe but pretty much all the other ones also have interviews with her (except the Leeza Shows I think... though he could analyse Darin on that perhaps!)

If the analyst is going to listen to her talking it would be great if he listened to her during her prison interviews but also listened to the interview she gave after the silly string tape where she talks about Damon and Devon being in heaven having a party.

Let us know how you get on :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AR Sleuth
Back