GUILTY DC - David Messerschmitt, 30, murdered in Washington hotel room, 9 Feb 2015 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just exactly why do you think a married man would rent a hotel room within commuting distance to where he lives with his wife?

Maybe he was out of shampoo and wanted to grab some of those little bottles..

Sent from my KFJWA using Tapatalk

It appears, to me, that he did leave a trail. That's how LE knew he was there. IMO

It appears, to me, that he did leave a trail. That's how LE knew he was there. IMO
Actually the housekeeping staff discovered the body and called 911. His ID and credit cards may have been helpful in identifying him...

Just exactly why do you think a married man would rent a hotel room within commuting distance to where he lives without his wife knowing about it?
Could be a plethora of reasons; unlike you I try not to jump to conclusions...

I'm watching a series on Comedy Central called Broad City. It's a comedy about two young women's adventures living in NYC. (Silly.....cracks me up). Season 2 Episode 7 is about them going on this party on a boat with their friend's law firm. There are many, many jokes about how it's widely known that attorneys enjoy extra-curricular activities with people with, um, ambiguous gender identification (whether it be transgender, men dressing as women, women as men, whatever). Made me think of this thread.....

Given that he texted his wife that he would be home shortly, I think we can presume that it was not his intention to stay at the hotel overnight. That narrows down the possibilities quite a bit.

This is why people are confused. They don't realize the hotel's welfare check was instigated by the police calling to ask if he was staying at the hotel.

A search warrant affidavit shows D.C. Police's Missing Person's Unit called the hotel and confirmed that the 30-year-old was staying at the hotel in Room 400.

Hotel management went to the room to check on his welfare and found Messerschmitt lying face down on the floor with apparent stab wounds to the back and displaying no signs of life.

http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/281440...eals-new-details-in-lawyers-death-at-dc-hotel

This is why people are confused. They don't realize the hotel's welfare check was instigated by the police calling to ask if he was staying at the hotel.

And it's a key piece of information, because obviously SOMEONE knew he was there for a welfare check to have been done so soon after he went missing.

And it's a key piece of information, because obviously SOMEONE knew he was there for a welfare check to have been done so soon after he went missing.
It's not obvious. LE called the hotel to ask if he was there. That's why the hotel did a welfare check. It's the hotel that knew he was there. LE might or might not have known he was there when they called. LE could have found him via credit card transactions, but LE could have also been calling all of the hotels, just like they call all of the hospitals and such when starting a missing person investigation.

Actually the housekeeping staff discovered the body and called 911. His ID and credit cards may have been helpful in identifying him...

It's not obvious. LE called the hotel to ask if he was there. That's why the hotel did a welfare check. It's the hotel that knew he was there. LE might or might not have known he was there when they called. LE could have found him via credit card transactions, but LE could have also been calling all of the hotels, just like they call all of the hospitals and such when starting a missing person investigation.

Is calling hotels a standard procedure in missing person's cases? I understand calling hospitals but calling hotels seems odd to me unless there's some reason to think somebody might be in one. There are only a handful of hospitals in the area but there are many, many hotels.

Is calling hotels a standard procedure in missing person's cases? I understand calling hospitals but calling hotels seems odd to me unless there's some reason to think somebody might be in one. There are only a handful of hospitals in the area but there are many, many hotels.

I agree. I would also think that it wouldn't be THAT easy to get credit card information THAT fast unless DM was dumb enough to book the hotel room (I'm assuming this was a tryst) using a card his wife had easy access to and SHE saw the charge on there. Or she, or someone, already knew he was there.

Also, I know we don't know his whereabouts the night before due to conflicting and confusing information, but assuming he only checked into the hotel at 5:30 that night and booked it for a night (even if he was planning on going home....I'm assuming that hotel is not available by the hour).....wouldn't his card only be charged the next morning at check-out time? I'm not exactly sure how that works since I've never worked at a hotel, but I have stayed at them, and normally the card is not charged until the next morning, right? Or not right? :)

Some spouses have secret accounts. Prior to electronic records, they'd have the bank statements sent to their offices.

No, it's entirely possible to not leave an electronic trail. There's a little thing called cash. Hotels actually accept cash without requiring a credit card deposit.

The date could have been someone he knew. He could have had a girlfriend. He could have been a regular for a particular prostitute.

Why would this get you in trouble?

I know there's "a little thing called cash" - do you think he went to this hotel and paid $300 for a room for 3 hours with cash - what, no paperwork? And usually you don't pay until you check out, in case you use the mini bar, movies...My words were "he had to leave an electronic trail" and I meant that; he called his wife, he had to set the date up somehow, even if it was a girlfriend/boyfriend. Or I could get smart like you and say maybe he used a pigeon or something.
I worry about getting in trouble on here because so many times I think family is involved and I don't want to break the rules.

Credit cards are run when you check in. How would the hotel know if your card had the funds available if it was not run on the spot? For a multilple nights stay, you are charged nightly. Either the front desk will do this or the night auditor. Resorts have varying rules.

I agree with this - it is key. Who would know he was there so soon? Maybe his wife said he would go there for drinks after work sometimes? Or a co-worker?

I'm sure it is common to call hotels. Many missing people aren't missing to themselves. They're only missing to their loved ones. Police know this. They'll call hotels to rule out someone perfectly fine who is just trying to get away from it all.

I agree with this - it is key. Who would know he was there so soon? Maybe his wife said he would go there for drinks after work sometimes? Or a co-worker?

Or someone had access to his finances online. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member