DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding the Savopoulos Facebook pages:

Okay, well neither of the hotlinks that SleuthBear provided work for me. And, no amount of Googling works for me either. Apparently, I am not supposed to see the pages. I do not belong to Facebook, maybe that's why?

There isn't much on them. Neither was a prolific poster. SS' page does not mention American Iron Works at all yet he uses the same photo on the AIW website. Stranger, still, is that the home page of AIW makes no mention of the death of its CEO. Usually a company not only mentions it but they also extend condolences to the family. On the "note from CEO" page, only SS' photo appears. His name has been scrubbed from the site.

http://www.americanironworks.com/missionStatement.aspx

JMO

I listened again to the VM and at the end you can here a beep of what sounds like a fire alarm's batteries going out, you know when it makes that chirp. So, it was a neighbor that alerted the fire dept. to the fire? I'm curious about this b/c lots of alarm systems have their fire alarms tied in. The actual alarm is tied in with the system and when it goes off, it notifies the fire dept. in your area for you. Is it possible that the system was cut? There is a way to bypass the system from the inside, I have had to do it to ours when it set off and in no way would go off (it cut off supply from the electrical system and the system's back up battery). I ended up having to call the company and having them walk me through cutting the main power supply until we could get it fixed. From what I understood, with this company, was...you didn't need to have your system armed for the alarm to go off and notify authorities. Also, our fire alarm is tied in electrically for power and a back up battery. Finally, to what my rambling is about....could someone had been so familiar with security systems that they cut the power of it from the inside and this may have turned the fire alarm off to notify authorities earlier of a fire? Just brainstorming.

Our fire/smoke detection system (part of our security system) works the same way. There is no way to shut it off (unlike the alarm portion). What a great thought you had - never occurred to me to even think about this.

Our fire/smoke detection system (part of our security system) works the same way. There is no way to shut it off (unlike the alarm portion). What a great thought you had - never occurred to me to even think about this.

I've been thinking the perps set the fire and got outta there fast. I don't think they cared about the fire alarm system.

Jake Tapper on CNN just reported "breaking news" about the case.

He said that apparently the family was held hostage for hours, and mentioned the housekeeper's husband visiting the house and pounding on the door without getting a response. Then after he returned home he received a message from the husband stating that the housekeeper would be staying overnight.

DC police said they are getting tips in based on the video that was released.

They mentioned that the call and text to the 2nd housekeeper telling her not to come in might have been coded. She said she thought it was strange that they contacted her like that, so she called the house but no one picked up.

Investigators are being "hoisted up" to the cameras on the corners of the house to examine them. Harry Houck, Law Enforcement Analyst, stated this was not a random crime, and that family has been ruled out already.

It's either a retribution crime, or a robbery/homocide. Houck is leaning towards the latter, but says the location where the bodies were found will be crucial information. He also mentioned they may have been waiting for money to be delivered, or that they were searching the house for valuables.

He said the hired help would have crucial information about the home, manner of entry, and the contents, so "the police are certainly looking at that". The police will want to know if the cameras were turned off ahead of time. He brought up that the vehicle was left near the father's office, which might not be a coincidence.

Houck: As a detective, I don't believe in coincidences.

He tends to think the killer and the family knew each other, and that is "why the family is dead".

(Not sure if all of this is new info, but Jake Tapper presented it as breaking news.)

I've been thinking the perps set the fire and got outta there fast. I don't think they cared about the fire alarm system.

Yes, but if the alarm was working, wouldn't it have sent an alarm long before a neighbor noticed smoke?

He said that apparently the family was held hostage for hours, and mentioned the housekeeper's husband visiting the house and pounding on the door without getting a response. Then after he returned home he received a message from the husband stating that the housekeeper would be staying overnight.

They mentioned that the call and text to the 2nd housekeeper telling her not to come in might have been coded. She said she thought it was strange that they contacted her like that, so she called the house but no one picked up.

Investigators are being "hoisted up" to the cameras on the corners of the house to examine them. Harry Houck, Law Enforcement Analyst, stated this was not a random crime, and that family has been ruled out already.

It's either a retribution crime, or a robbery/homocide. Houck is leaning towards the latter, but says the location where the bodies were found will be crucial information. He also mentioned they may have been waiting for money to be delivered, or that they were searching the house for valuables.

He said the hired help would have crucial information about the home, manner of entry, and the contents, so "the police are certainly looking at that". The police will want to know if the cameras were turned off ahead of time. He brought up that the vehicle was left near the father's office, which might not be a coincidence.

He tends to think the killer and the family knew each other, and that is "why the family is dead".

(Not sure if all of this is new info, but Jake Tapper presented it as breaking news.)

Interesting that the husband received a message from SS stating his wife would be staying the night yet SS supposedly asked NG to relay that information.

If my boss called me, I'd pick up the call or immediately listen to his message and not wait until the next day.

JMO

Also, LE said there was no useful info from the cameras at the house... could the perp have disabled these as well?

Here in third vid. Also check out first vid with more info from NG, now about security system. http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...k-Slayings-Were-Held-Overnight-304161751.html
I looked at all the video's and didn't have any with the voice message. I have listened to NG so many times now. NG talks about a lot in that message like about texting them and about calling the husband of the other house keeper. Why does NG have face in some videos and then no face in others. The name is bleeped in the first recording of the voice mail yet they say the victims name (house keeper). JMO but seeing a lack of emotion from NG in the interviews. I am starting to lean a certain way. Wish more would come out.

Very interesting insights. Someone of latin descent would use a knife also knew gasoline was in the garage. Sounds like a landscaper to me.

That is an offensive statement, that people of latin descent would "use a knife".

Very interesting insights. Someone of latin descent would use a knife also knew gasoline was in the garage. Sounds like a landscaper to me.

Our landscapers never enter our garage. They haul and use their own equipment and gas.

BBM.

Did the housekeeper's husband pound on the door on Thursday? (not Wednesday?) If he pounded on the door on Thursday and then got a message that his wife would be staying overnight that would mean she would be staying there two nights. That would definitely raise alarm bells if I were the husband.

Only two parts of the voice mail other then the background noise that I think is interesting is when SS states "and she was sick this afternoon" not needed information. Then later on "because you know we are going through some stuff with Phillip." Again not needed information if he already stated the housekeeper was to stay due to AS being sick. So then why state the second sentence. Also would like to know if they called him Phillip or Phil or something else.

Also very interesting the "hired help" angle. Didn't even cross my mind why the video surveillance wasn't working.

I'm late to this. I heard some of the horrific details last night and I am reading to catch up. What I can't figure out is the housekeeper staying over and her husband's actions (or non-actions). There are logical inconsistencies.

SS's voice mail message to NG asked her to notify Vera's husband that Vera was staying over. Why wouldn't SS have called the husband directly? If Vera was not their regular housekeeper, it makes sense that SS would not know her husband's phone number. But couldn't Vera have told him?

So when the husband says SS called him after his knocks on the front door were unanswered and he'd gone around the house to another door, how did SS have his cell number so quickly?

Why wasn't the housekeeper's husband alarmed when she didn't arrive home, esp. since NG says Vera planned to be done by 3pm? Why wouldn't he have called her employer NG or gone to the house Wednesday evening. It seems odd that he would wait patiently until the next morning. The most plausible scenario is that perhaps he works overnight. Otherwise, it's unusual.

I've read that the Vera's cell phone battery was dead and she did not have a charger, so she could not call him for her cell. Why wouldn't the Vera have used a house phone or borrowed a family member's cell? Or given SS the number and asked him to call her husband directly?

Someone upthread mentioned a suspicion that Vera's husband told LE about going to the house Thursday morning in case he needed to explain his presence. I am perplexed about him.

That is an offensive statement, that people of latin descent would "use a knife".

Piping in to note that it was mentioned yesterday (by LE?) that knives were the preferred weapon of Latin American criminals in the DC area.

Were the landscaping/clean up crew there on Wed or Thurs? If Thursday then I don't know how that would relate to the case since it was confirmed by MSM and police that they had been held since Wednesday night. Also would like to know when NG and SS left the studio on Wed. Did NG go back to the home with SS or did they separate at the studio. Also what MSM talks about NG and SS were together on Wed.

Amy's FB doesn't seems to have had a lot of use since last summer.

Have found a video of the type of martial arts that SS was a Master of :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXe8LdbXEdI

though it is normal to use Bokken instead of real swords. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bokken

He could have had both types in the house and could have been the causes of both the sharp injuries and blunt force trauma. JMO.

If NG is involved, why would SS send her coded messages?

Or were they coded by the perps - they told him what to say and NG would know the code to keep up to date on the crime in progress?

I'm still leaning toward SS was trying to get NG to realize the family was in trouble and that she was not involved in the crime, at least for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member