DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is not how I understood it. First he said he was in the bank and saw the employee withdraw the money and hand it to him. Then is was that it came out of his pocket. But I don;t remember the bit about the bank being in the second story at all, in fact I assumed the "lie" was the bank part. There's been some discussion about whether the money originally came from the B of A because of the wrappers but I think the 2nd story did not involve the bank.

Then they would have said where he was when he got the money. His story didn't change about that, so the charging documents didn't state a new place. Again, where is it you think he got the money from the AIW's employee's pockets?

And what do you mean "because of the wrappers"? Does BofA have 4 stacks of $10,000 not in wrappers?

We all want answers - but- lest not forget- at the cost of jeopardizing an investigation- especially combined with the ATF, FBI, and Secret Service.

Additional tidbit- I am sure being on embassy row in close proximity to VP, other foreign dignitaries, etc, has a lot to do with secret service being involved, but I do know for a fact that the secret service also gets involved when financial crimes are committed- link for reference: http://www.secretservice.gov/faq.shtml#faq5

Not that it means anything but its pretty cool to read up on all that they do.

The secret service is involved solely because of the money. Embassies are guarded by the Federal Protective Service and, in any event, there were no foreign officials involved. Proximity wouldn't do it.

Then they would have said where he was when he got the money. His story didn't change about that, so the charging documents didn't state a new place. Again, where is it you think he got the money from the AIW's employee's pockets?

And what do you mean "because of the wrappers"? Does BofA have 4 stacks of $10,000 not in wrappers?

He got teh money from the other employee at AIW. It makes no sense that the other guy walking away from the bank with money in his pockets instead of wherever else -- in his hands? -- would even matter.

He got teh money from the other employee at AIW. It makes no sense that the other guy walking away from the bank with money in his pockets instead of wherever else -- in his hands? -- would even matter.

It makes no sense to me for him to say he was at the bank if he was really at AIW. Most people I assume wouldn't walk out of a bank with $40K in their hand. The CD never said he lied about the location of where he got the money.

You believe what you read. I will believe what I read.

The closest speed camera to the house is 2800 Calvert St. NW. It's seems likely that the Porsche passed there on the way to New York Ave. but I ride a bicycle so I'm not familiar with choosing car-driving routes in the area.

picture in my head of a radiator riding a bike

:drumroll: :)

eTA: and now it's reality. sorta.

Attachments

• radiator.jpeg
    radiator.jpeg
    11.8 KB · Views: 119
The United States Secret Service is one of the most elite law enforcement organizations in the world. It has earned this reputation throughout more than 140 years of unparalleled service to the nation. As one of the oldest federal law enforcement agencies in the country, the Secret Service has dual missions that include investigations as well as protection. These are the unique characteristics that distinguish the Secret Service from other law enforcement organizations. During the course of their careers, special agents carry out assignments in both of these areas and must be available to be assigned to duty stations anywhere in the world.

Since its inception in 1865, the Secret Service has been involved in protecting the integrity of the nation's financial systems. Recent advances in technology have changed the nature of financial transactions throughout the world. Consequently, the Secret Service's investigative responsibilities have increased significantly. The Secret Service has jurisdiction in the United States for investigations involving the counterfeiting of U.S. and foreign obligations and securities. This authority has expanded to include the investigation of financial institution fraud, access device fraud, computer crimes, fraudulent government and commercial securities, fictitious financial instruments, telecommunications fraud, false identification and identity theft.

In the years since the Secret Service's protective mission was first mandated in 1901, the agency's jurisdiction has expanded over time and currently includes protection for the following:

The president, the vice president, (or other individuals next in order of succession to the Office of the President), the president-elect and vice president-elect

The immediate families of the above individuals

Former presidents, their spouses for their lifetimes, except when the spouse remarries.

Children of former presidents until age 16

Visiting heads of foreign states or governments and their spouses traveling with them, other distinguished foreign visitors to the United States, and official representatives of the United States performing special missions abroad

Major presidential and vice presidential candidates, and their spouses within 120 days of a general presidential election

Other individuals as designated per Executive Order of the President

National Special Security Events, when designated as such by the Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security

http://www.secretservice.gov/whoweare_sa.shtml

WS's, we've discussed many times that the risk of DW's staying overnight and getting the
$40,000 drop was probably SS's idea to buy time "or" to appease DW and Co.

So what if the $$$ DW expected/wanted was found in the home and DW and Co left that night? Then there wouldn't have been the need for odd phone call to NG, or the scurry of phone calls to accountant, AIW employee or JW. There wouldn't have been a money drop, or the JW lies. (Or pizza)

My question is this: if the in and out-get rich quick plan had succeeded, would we still be giving JW the side eye? (Because if he was involved... then he was involved with the first plan too)

What clues would we have? The only thing I can come up with... Is that JW was familiar
with the SS family's schedule, including (probably) the housekeepers.

WS's, we've discussed many times that the risk of DW's staying overnight and getting the

So what if the $$$ DW expected/wanted was found in the home and DW and Co left that night? Then there wouldn't have been the need for odd phone call to NG, or the scurry of phone calls to accountant, AIW employee or JW. There wouldn't have been a money drop, or the JW lies. (Or pizza)

My question is this: if the in and out-get rich quick plan had succeeded, would we still be giving JW the side eye? (Because if he was involved... then he was involved with the first plan too)

What clues would we have? The only thing I can come up with... Is that JW was familiar

Yes because JW was caught with the Mosler registration which may have been part of Plan A. Also because JW was drawing attention to the wealth of the S family on social media and seemed very obsessed with luxury items out of his reach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So when NT reported that an LE official knew of the "connections" between DW and JW, all he was referring to was the google map connection?
I do not mean to trivialize the find of three WSer and am so glad you reported it, but seems a rather tenuous connection to me in lieu of further corroboration of any actual "connection" as we take the term to mean--actual affiliation between to people who have met, bonded to some degree, and have some sort of relationship through the ties of a social, educational, religious, business, or some other community.
If the "connections" between DW and JW as first discovered by Websleuthers and then repeated by NT consist only of the occupancy of two apartments in some proximity to each other --an occupancy not even established as being within the same time-frame or parallel in any way except by a son's father who might have lived next to a father's son he, the father, did not even know---
Sorry. Glad a potential connection was reported, and always happy to see fellow WSers get some well deserved credit, but this is not connection, as presented thus far by Sluethers or NT, mere coincidence, which only goes to prove the old saw "It's a small world." JMO

With very genuine respect, I do have to ask if you truly do dismiss what WS's found as a worthwhile connection. Do you believe that it is only a coincidence that JW's dad lived in an apt that was 348 feet from the apt where DW lived. (JW's dad lived in that particular apt for 5 years when JW was 17-22 years old.) This is in addition to the fact that their various family members still live in very close proximity in the same area. Sure, there is a chance that the two guys might have not crossed paths directly, especially because it seems like DW migrates amongst family members, but we're talking yards, not miles. People who live in that close proximity (and have big families in DW's case) really, really, really might know of each other or have mutual connections. That doesn't feel very loose to me. Does it you?

That is what I wanted to know. So there is a system in addition to speed cameras. I live in metro Atlanta and am on camera from 1/2 mile from my house to almost everywhere 70 miles in any direction.

And do you know if DC still uses the Spotshotter system for gunshot detection? If so, perhaps this is why DDW did not use a gun??

I know three years ago DC used Shot Spotter. I cannot imagine any reason it would be out of service.

About the cameras, they do look at every license plate that goes by, and automatically compare them to lookouts in a database. I learned this serving on a DC grand jury. (If disclosing that's a violation of GJ secrecy, please, someone let me know ASAP.)

Why then would JW plan all this and not wait until after the HK was gone for the day...what did she add to the end game?

With very genuine respect, I do have to ask if you truly do dismiss what WS's found as a worthwhile connection. Do you believe that it is only a coincidence that JW's dad lived in an apt that was 348 feet from the apt where DW lived. (JW's dad lived in that particular apt for 5 years when JW was 17-22 years old.) This is in addition to the fact that their various family members still live in very close proximity in the same area. Sure, there is a chance that the two guys might have not crossed paths directly, especially because it seems like DW migrates amongst family members, but we're talking yards, not miles. People who live in that close proximity (and have big families in DW's case) really, really, really might know of each other or have mutual connections. That doesn't feel very loose to me. Does it you?

It was good sleuthing but,,,
Yes it does feel very loose. Huge complexes blocks apart. And they are 7 years apart in age, not exactly likely to hang out together IF they ever even crossed paths IMO

#tenuous

image.jpg

It was good sleuthing but,,,
Yes it does feel very loose. Huge complexes blocks apart. And they are 7 years apart in age, not exactly likely to hang out together IF they ever even crossed paths IMO

#tenuous

View attachment 76503

What would've been there respective ages and that of DW's brother? Might have met at the pool or basketball court or flirting with neighborhood girls.

Yeah, I think because JW's story went sideways, there is really no knowing whether he picked up the package at AIW as instructed, or he went to the bank (although he undid that in his second story.) The charging docs only gave JW's stated stories. Will be interesting to hear from the accountant. However, LE was looking for BofA papers in JW's car, so the money must have come from there at some point!

Why then would JW plan all this and not wait until after the HK was gone for the day...what did she add to the end game?

Oh, I agree. Personally I don't see JW aligning himself with DW.

Oh, I agree. Personally I don't see JW aligning himself with DW.

Plans change. Housekeeper may have stayed a bit later if Amy had to run out since PS was home. DW may have thought she'd be gone, that Phillip was at school and Amy's Porsche was gone. Someone said the speeding Porsche seen by neighbors on that Wednesday may have been Amy rushing home.

I've been reading up on anti-theft technology in very high-end cars, if anyone is interested for background. So far I've seen two things that could have kept the Mosler from being accessed. I don't know which type of security the car has though; I can't find anything specific to these cars, other than that the Corvette engineer who worked for Mosler also did work on the GM electronic control system, which I'm supposing includes their passkey system.

One access control I found is a valet key, that unlike a regular car's valet key that won't open the glovebox, console or trunk, this super luxury car type of valet key won't open the doors, it only starts the ignition.

The other access control I found is a two factor system that requires a remote, RFID-type signal, to be present in addition to the key. This RFID transmitter simply is kept away from the car so that a key alone isn't good enough.

LE owes us nothing. It is not their job to satisfy our curiosity. They have one job and one job only, to investigate this horrific crime and bring the perpetrators to justice. "WE" deserve nothing here. I say that as a "WE" who actually lives in DC. Where do you get this idea that general citizens should have some word in the case? LE isn't here to entertain us. I don't pay taxes so that they can keep feeding me information.

Frankly its to their credit that they can actually keep their investigation under wraps. [modsnip]

[modsnip]
In a democratic society, law enforcement is effective in so much as the majority of citizens trust in it and comply with it. Our taxes, in fact, do pay for law enforcement, just as they pay for the military. Trust, compliance, respect, and transparency do not matter in a police state. America is not one.
It is high time that agencies that the public through its elected government has vested with the power and responsibility to protect it and at the same time to regulate it address a case that represents so clearly some of the worst gaps in our justice system and at this time is THE most high profile home invasion and murder in America. We have (and we consent to) a system of law and order not only as a system of actual enforcement, but also as an institution which gives us a sense of security. LE itself has said that it believes more perpetrators are at large. If this belief has changed, then enforcement agencies involved in the month long investigation should let the public know that they now believe they have in custody the sole perpetrator.
I do not remember a time when this much secrecy surrounded an ongoing investigation. At a time when many citizens do question how law enforcement agencies conduct themselves and how they perceive their responsibilities to the public as hand in hand with their authority over it, I do believe it wise to keep us apprised of efforts in this case, if only to provide assurance of the continuing commitment to solving it just as it has been in the public interest to get updates on efforts to apprehend the two prison escapees.
I am firmly in the law and order corner. You don't know me, my background, my philosophy--you should not attack anyone on this board for expressing opinion. You went far and beyond what I voiced, which I believe to be a sentiment many people share about this case, to characterize me personally as some crack-pot salivating over the death of four good people in one of the most tragic ways I have ever heard, demanding details of a precious child's death for my own entertainment.
I am not a character in a movie. I have not demanded that this very crucial investigation be compromised and it need not be.
I have no doubt that I have been around much longer than you have to see the start and finish of many murder investigations. In most, the cooperation of the public has been of upmost importance and has been cultivated through agencies releasing a certain amount of information and at the same time regularly updating and reassuring the public about its efforts.
I think public relations is an important part of policing. I also think it helps solve cases.
In most cases of this magnitude, LE has shown an awareness and concern for the public, especially when media has stirred up this level of interest and empathy for it. And yet, as shown by vast numbers of high profile cases, the integrity of ongoing investigations have been duly protected.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member