DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I ended up on the MPDC site and wonder are any of these cameras close to the S house or on the route from S house to the MD location of the burning Porsche.

http://mpdc.dc.gov/page/speed-camera-locations

If the driver of the Porsche took the Massachusetts Avenue to New York Avenue route between the S house and the church, he would have passed the speed cameras northeast bound in the 1400 and 2800 blocks of New York Avenue NE. It seems like he would have missed quite a few others by a block or so. Of course, I don't know what route he took. http://www.webpagescreenshot.info/img/55810ab1c82d93-57781357

3201 Woodland Dr NW, Washington, DC 20008 to Saint Christophers Episcopal Church - Google Maps (.jpg

The Australian Ambassador's residence is directly across the street from the Savapolous home (address 3120 Cleveland Avenue NW) so according to this the perimeter of the Ambassador's residence would be protected by roving patrols by Secret Service uniform division agents.
This information makes it all the more outrageous that the Savopoulos' household could be a target in the middle of the day. How can we question that people attached to the victims did not anticipate and could never have imagined their ordeal? I believe it was the veneer of security that dispelled various party's sense that something was "off."
It takes some lack of caution and an overweening ego to attempt a crime like this in a place like that.

Thanks for that :) This has been a thorn in my side. As I used to work for a medium-sized urban newspaper, I would not have taken credit for research done by others. I would have said something like, "amateur sleuths, on Websleuths, have found a loose connection.... If there is any weight to this find....it could be significant. When LE was asked about this possible connection they said they were aware..."

Since NT didn't attribute anybody, we can't be sure that this was the connection to which LE was referring. I remember reading that and thinking I'd read about the apartments here! But, it could be LE has another connection in mind, in addition to the proximal residences. NT seems to have a problem with attributions, and it doesn't improve the reliability of his articles. JMO

See, this is why it's confusing. This is a quote from a Fox report:

"Wallace allegedly told police he knew there was $40,000 in the package because another employee had told him. But police found that Wallace text messaged photos of the bundles of cash -- apparently to his girlfriend, according to WTTG."

I know he changed his story and said cash was handed to him out of the accountant's pockets , but did he also change his story to say that he knew he was picking up money ahead of time and not just a package? Makes complete sense that SS would tell him it was money and urgent at that.

It's just confusing that JW lied about it and also that he worded his text to SS on Weds night as "Got your messages. I'll let you know when I pick up the package." Unless SS said something like, "in all of our communication, please refer to the money as the package."

I find it hard to believe a professional "accountant" would dispense $40,000 out of his pockets to JW or anyone if it were a planned-ahead-of-time disbursement. It's too "unprofessional" for a professional accountant. [emoji383]I'm by no means rich, but I've had a business for many years and have employees make cash deposits and withdrawals.........never received one from their pockets. I still believe JW is not involved and has one hell of a story to tell one day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Some possibilities and how they do or do not match JW's versions.

1. AIW office safe which either normally holds ~$40,000 cash or for what-ev reason that week held ~$40,000. As long as safe was not operated by (say Mr S') bio-metrics, SS could have given senior employee (accountant?) combo which he could have used to open & given JW.
Contradicts JW v.1 (JW saw other AIW E'ee get $ at BoA) to LE.
Poss. consistent w JW v.2 (AIW E'ee took $ fm pockets, -->to JW, unspec. loc).

2. One AIW bank account for which that AIW employee is authorized to make cash w/d's, other transactions, of $40,000 or more. That E'ee made w/d.
Poss. Consistent w JW v.1 (JW saw other AIW E'ee get $ at BoA, gave to JW in bk or bk parking lot)
Poss. Consistent w JW v.2 (JW not see AIW E'ee make w/d, but met him; E'ee took $ fm pockets, --> to JW, at bk, bk parking lot, or unspec. loc).

3. One of other SS-owned businesses, e,g, Dojo.

4. Multiple AIW bank accounts at say 2 diff banks, ea w a $25,000 withdrawal limit, for AIW employee.

5. Mr S' personal a/c (individual, Jt Ten w. Ms S, Ten/Com w Ms S, Trust, etc)
From my employment exp in branch & home office of financial inst., seems this might take more calls, longer flurry, more fuss & bother, etc. to wrangle thru logistics, to resolve a request for $40,000 one-time exception w/d for a situation not previously contemplated. Not impossible w e-signatures thru secure & encrypted e-comms (never foolproof tho).
IME, biz-related a/cs are often/usu estab'ed w provisions for a person/officer to conduct transactions, other than just the owner or one sr officer. Sometimes even w sound legal advice, this gets overlooked w personal a/c's. For ex, if Mr S & Mrs S have jt a/c, they might anticipate one or the other w/always be avail to sign, conduct transactions.

Discussed earlier as unlikely, e.g. bank safe deposit box. Is SDB for AIW or other business? Or for Mr S personally? Who has key? If Mr S, then someone would have to go to S home & get from him, defeats DDW/ crim plan.

JM2cts and could be all wrong.

Again, why do we think the money came from the bank that morning? The only reference I remember to the bank was the part of JW's statement he admitted was a lie.

Did he ever say he got the money someplace else? I thought the only part of that story that changed was that the accountant did not give JW the money in a manila envelope, but took 4 stacks of money out of his pockets and put it in JW's red lined bag. I don't recall the location changing or even whether JW went into the bank or not.

267687232-Wint-Search-Warrant-Affidavit_Page_4.jpg

I've never heard that we have more cameras than any other city and i think I would have. There are no traffic cameras near the house. Some of the houses have cameras, including the Savopoulos' (though the perps took the dvr) and I'm sure LE has investigated them. But I don;t know of any way LE can consult traffic cameras for this sort of thing -- they only take pictures of cars exceeding the speed limit and running red lights.

There are other traffic video cameras that run constantly.You can see what they see at this link: http://app.ddot.dc.gov/
Secret Service has their own cameras that they set up in locations that are important to them. There are several around my son's school. I imagine there are quite a few near at least some embassies and consulates. Since Secret Service are apparently helping with the investigation, I imagine this footage has been made available to DC LE. Tons of SeSe (as opposed to SS) cameras around the Naval Observatory/VP's residence, so hopefully the Porsche passed by it.

ETA: In the route I mapped out earlier (which could of course be inaccurate!) the Porsche would have passed traffic (not speed) cameras at Whitehaven & Mass. Ave. NW, 7th & NY Ave. NW, 4th & NY Ave. NW, North Capitol & NY Ave. NW, Florida & NY Ave. NW, 9th St. & NY Ave. NE, Bladensburg Rd. & NY Ave. NE, US 50 & MD 202 and US 50 & MD 410 (East-West Hwy).

Did he ever say he got the money someplace else? I thought the only part of that story that changed was that the accountant did not give JW the money in a manila envelope, but took 4 stacks of money out of his pockets and put it in JW's red lined bag. I don't recall the location changing or even whether JW went into the bank or not.

View attachment 76508

Looking at the charging documents again made me wonder why they ever focused on the question of what bag/envelope the money was in, "W-1 was also questioned about what the money was contained in when IT received the money from the other employee. W-1 admitted that it had lied when IT stated the money was in a manilla envelope when IT recieved the money from the other employee."

Why were they questioning JW about the container? Was it because they already had the texts with the pictures of the money? Or would there be some other reason why they would not just take at face value his first story that the money was in an envelope? Maybe they had already spoken with EMPLOYEE who told LE that he had put the money in his pockets?

Also, I believe the blogger misunderstood the source he used for his article when he said JW didn't answer the 11:45 am call. IIRC, the original story said JW didn't return calls on Wednesday (the week after the murders) in the same sentence that it mentioned the 11:45 call. There has been a lot of confusion, as it sounds like JW didn't answer the 11:45 call, but I don't think LE has said if JW answered that call. It was stated that the call was the last incoming or outgoing call from SS' phone.
And stated in all the news articles I searched over two pages of links in google the same way: "last incoming or outgoing call SS made or answered..."
I don't know where I got the idea that JW did not pick up the call from SS! And I have repeated tha as information.
Apparently, from WaPo on, the phrase gets repeated. I'm sorry but one can not make an incoming call. But I get the gist. Whether or not JW picked up the call and whether a text or a VM? Again, I thought I had encountered a credible report that JW did not pick up the call, according to him because he was out of range.
Anyone got anything on this detail?
LE does not have SS phone. At the time the 11:54 a.m. call bruited about in news accounts, LE had gone over JW's cell while interviewing him, but I don't think seized it (how could they unless he said help yourself, keep my phone long as you need it?)
I guess SS's cellphone service had this info as to last incoming and outgoing call? How did LE get that info. so quickly?

And stated in all the news articles I searched over two pages of links in google the same way: "last incoming or outgoing call SS made or answered..."
I don't know where I got the idea that JW did not pick up the call from SS! And I have repeated tha as information.
Apparently, from WaPo on, the phrase gets repeated. I'm sorry but one can not make an incoming call. But I get the gist. Whether or not JW picked up the call and whether a text or a VM? Again, I thought I had encountered a credible report that JW did not pick up the call, according to him because he was out of range.
Anyone got anything on this detail?
LE does not have SS phone. At the time the 11:54 a.m. call bruited about in news accounts, LE had gone over JW's cell while interviewing him, but I don't think seized it (how could they unless he said help yourself, keep my phone long as you need it?)
I guess SS's cellphone service had this info as to last incoming and outgoing call? How did LE get that info. so quickly?

If you look at the charging documents, by the time they first spoke with JW (which I think we now know was the night the murders since I believe LE met him at the scene and took him to the station at that point -- but I am not sure why I think that -- the latest it could have been was May 19 when the charging documents were completed), they already had SS' texts even though they don't have the phone. I think they quickly obtained a warrant to look through his electronic communications from that phone. I believe it's much quicker to get VM, texts and metadata than it is to get cell phone tower information, which takes some manual sorting.

And i am getting ticked off about that. I think LE OWES the public a press conference in which they bring us up to date on the status of the investigation. I don't expect them to give us all the case particulars, but we should know in a global sense what investigators are doing to find and bring the perpetrators to justice, and whether or not at this point in time, they have some idea of who is involved. WE should rate a progress report which need not tip LE's hand or compromise the case. I do not care if they speak in total generalities, but hey, REMEMBER US?
This evil was an offense against humanity. But at the very least, DC people should have some word on the case as for all they know cretins are still running amok and pose a threat.
TIME TO REPORT TO THE PUBLIC THAT PAYS TAXES FOR LAW ENFORCEMENT!

I'm a DC tax payer and I'm happy to forego the uninformative press conference if it means LE has the best chance of catching all the perpetrators and prosecuting them to the full extent of the law. In fact, I'd prefer they not waste their time on a dog and pony show - especially if it's just to assure us they're doing something but they can't tell us what. I'm going to assume they are working non-stop with the help of FBI, ATF, SeSe, and anyone else willing and able to help. It's a brutal crime and a complex crime scene, stretching over several jurisdictions, could be a dozen POIs, a lot of tests to run, people to interview, video to watch... We just have to be patient and trust the people we pay are doing their jobs. I'm sure they are looking forward to the day when they can announce the results of their work!

There are other traffic video cameras that run constantly.You can see what they see at this link: http://app.ddot.dc.gov/
Secret Service has their own cameras that they set up in locations that are important to them. There are several around my son's school. I imagine there are quite a few near at least some embassies and consulates. Since Secret Service are apparently helping with the investigation, I imagine this footage has been made available to DC LE. Tons of SeSe (as opposed to SS) cameras around the Naval Observatory/VP's residence, so hopefully the Porsche passed by it.

ETA: In the route I mapped out earlier (which could of course be inaccurate!) the Porsche would have passed traffic (not speed) cameras at Whitehaven & Mass. Ave. NW, 7th & NY Ave. NW, 4th & NY Ave. NW, North Capitol & NY Ave. NW, Florida & NY Ave. NW, 9th St. & NY Ave. NE, Bladensburg Rd. & NY Ave. NE, US 50 & MD 202 and US 50 & MD 410 (East-West Hwy).

I just noticed from Google street view that the Australian Ambassador's home has two CCTV camera's installed under the roof soffit on the side of the home that faces the garage of the SS home. They are mounted quite high so hopefully they captured the side of the Savopolous home.

The camera's appear to be of the variety shown below with the ability to pan-tilt-zoom

Pan-Tilt-Zoom-Security-Cameras-KT-C-KPT-SD301FH.jpg

The NSA does not have cameras on residential neighborhoods in DC. Nor does the NSA track all the traffic in DC.

Respectfully, I don't think we have any idea what the NSA is doing. They have satellites that can zoom in to identify individuals on the ground from space. Now harnessing that power for a murder investigation, even one as horrible as this - that's another matter. IDK what's possible when it comes to cooperation between DC LE and the NSA.

No, thats the opposite direction. Plus a speed camera only takes pictures of speeding cars.

The Porsche could have taken Garfield to Cleveland to Calvert, passing by that speed camera East-bound at 28th (and if he was driving erratically - speeding - at least it would show what time the car passed that spot). I think it would make more sense to take the main roads (Mass Ave. to NY Ave), but if the perp was familiar with the area, Calvert could make sense!

That is what I wanted to know. So there is a system in addition to speed cameras. I live in metro Atlanta and am on camera from 1/2 mile from my house to almost everywhere 70 miles in any direction.

And do you know if DC still uses the Spotshotter system for gunshot detection? If so, perhaps this is why DDW did not use a gun??

I think the gunshot detection system is still in use in some neighborhoods, but I doubt it's in the S' neighborhood. I could be wrong!

The secret service is involved solely because of the money. Embassies are guarded by the Federal Protective Service and, in any event, there were no foreign officials involved. Proximity wouldn't do it.

I don't see how the SeSe has jurisdiction due to the money. I'm trying to understand - $40K taken from AIW accounts, delivered to the CEO's home where it had been extorted and stolen by the perp(s). What makes it the SeSe' business? Crossing state lines? The amount? Would love a link so I can learn, because I really have no idea how all the different LE departments are involved in investigating the murders. TIA!

I just noticed from Google street view that the Australian Ambassador's home has two CCTV camera's installed under the roof soffit on the side of the home that faces the garage of the SS home. They are mounted quite high so hopefully they captured the side of the Savopolous home.

The camera's appear to be of the variety shown below with the ability to pan-tilt-zoom

Pan-Tilt-Zoom-Security-Cameras-KT-C-KPT-SD301FH.jpg
I have had the feeling that LE had a CI. Could be those cameras gave them some hints early on.

It makes no sense to me for him to say he was at the bank if he was really at AIW. Most people I assume wouldn't walk out of a bank with $40K in their hand. The CD never said he lied about the location of where he got the money.

You believe what you read. I will believe what I read.

Of course, we're relying on JW's account, but the charging documents say that JW met the other employee at AIW and they went to the bank together. I don't see that part of the story changing as the interview progressed. At least LE doesn't mention it in the doc.267687232-Wint-Search-Warrant-Affidavit_Page_3.jpg267687232-Wint-Search-Warrant-Affidavit_Page_4.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
relaxininaz