DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The United States Secret Service is one of the most elite law enforcement organizations in the world. It has earned this reputation throughout more than 140 years of unparalleled service to the nation. As one of the oldest federal law enforcement agencies in the country, the Secret Service has dual missions that include investigations as well as protection. These are the unique characteristics that distinguish the Secret Service from other law enforcement organizations. During the course of their careers, special agents carry out assignments in both of these areas and must be available to be assigned to duty stations anywhere in the world.

Since its inception in 1865, the Secret Service has been involved in protecting the integrity of the nation's financial systems. Recent advances in technology have changed the nature of financial transactions throughout the world. Consequently, the Secret Service's investigative responsibilities have increased significantly. The Secret Service has jurisdiction in the United States for investigations involving the counterfeiting of U.S. and foreign obligations and securities. This authority has expanded to include the investigation of financial institution fraud, access device fraud, computer crimes, fraudulent government and commercial securities, fictitious financial instruments, telecommunications fraud, false identification and identity theft.

In the years since the Secret Service's protective mission was first mandated in 1901, the agency's jurisdiction has expanded over time and currently includes protection for the following:

The president, the vice president, (or other individuals next in order of succession to the Office of the President), the president-elect and vice president-elect

The immediate families of the above individuals

Former presidents, their spouses for their lifetimes, except when the spouse remarries.

Children of former presidents until age 16

Visiting heads of foreign states or governments and their spouses traveling with them, other distinguished foreign visitors to the United States, and official representatives of the United States performing special missions abroad

Major presidential and vice presidential candidates, and their spouses within 120 days of a general presidential election

Other individuals as designated per Executive Order of the President

National Special Security Events, when designated as such by the Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security

http://www.secretservice.gov/whoweare_sa.shtml

Which of these responsibilities applies to this crime? I would say money laundering, but SeSe was on the scene before Wint was even named as a suspect.

I believe it's much quicker to get VM, texts and metadata than it is to get cell phone tower information, which takes some manual sorting.

There's an app for that.

Most people don't have GPS privacy set on their smart phones. It's handy for LE in times like this. Even if not strong enough evidence to stand up to a defense attorney, for initial investigative purposes the data would suffice.

Why then would JW plan all this and not wait until after the HK was gone for the day...what did she add to the end game?

Just working on this theory, maybe he didn't know the second housekeeper would be there. He may have known that NG wouldn't be there, as SS had made arrangements that she work at the dojo on Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday instead of at the S house on Thursday. If he, too (JW) was working at the dojo, they probably would have talked. If he drove SS and NG to the dojo on Wednesday (IDK), he certainly would have known NG wouldn't be at the house on Thursday. Seems like it was all hands on deck at the dojo that week, so I can see NG and JW crossing paths more than usual. IF VF told NG on Tuesday that she wanted to work at the S house on Wednesday, it's possible NG didn't share that info with JW because - why would she?

And where do you get the idea I am concerned with this case out of some idle curiosity? How dare you imply that my frustration and anger at the lack of information from agencies vested with authority over and protection of the public is rooted in my need for personal entertainment?
In a democratic society, law enforcement is effective in so much as the majority of citizens trust in it and comply with it. Our taxes, in fact, do pay for law enforcement, just as they pay for the military. Trust, compliance, respect, and transparency do not matter in a police state. America is not one.
It is high time that agencies that the public through its elected government has vested with the power and responsibility to protect it and at the same time to regulate it address a case that represents so clearly some of the worst gaps in our justice system and at this time is THE most high profile home invasion and murder in America. We have (and we consent to) a system of law and order not only as a system of actual enforcement, but also as an institution which gives us a sense of security. LE itself has said that it believes more perpetrators are at large. If this belief has changed, then enforcement agencies involved in the month long investigation should let the public know that they now believe they have in custody the sole perpetrator.
I do not remember a time when this much secrecy surrounded an ongoing investigation. At a time when many citizens do question how law enforcement agencies conduct themselves and how they perceive their responsibilities to the public as hand in hand with their authority over it, I do believe it wise to keep us apprised of efforts in this case, if only to provide assurance of the continuing commitment to solving it just as it has been in the public interest to get updates on efforts to apprehend the two prison escapees.
I am firmly in the law and order corner. You don't know me, my background, my philosophy--you should not attack anyone on this board for expressing opinion. You went far and beyond what I voiced, which I believe to be a sentiment many people share about this case, to characterize me personally as some crack-pot salivating over the death of four good people in one of the most tragic ways I have ever heard, demanding details of a precious child's death for my own entertainment.
I am not a character in a movie. I have not demanded that this very crucial investigation be compromised and it need not be.
I have no doubt that I have been around much longer than you have to see the start and finish of many murder investigations. In most, the cooperation of the public has been of upmost importance and has been cultivated through agencies releasing a certain amount of information and at the same time regularly updating and reassuring the public about its efforts.
I think public relations is an important part of policing. I also think it helps solve cases.
In most cases of this magnitude, LE has shown an awareness and concern for the public, especially when media has stirred up this level of interest and empathy for it. And yet, as shown by vast numbers of high profile cases, the integrity of ongoing investigations have been duly protected.

JMO

I think if anything changed from their initial statements, they would have let us know. I'm guessing they already have the perps in their sites and are keeping a close eye on them. LE doesn't need our help and they don't want to tip off perp(s) who are surely dying to know what LE is doing. JMO

Looking at the charging documents again made me wonder why they ever focused on the question of what bag/envelope the money was in, "W-1 was also questioned about what the money was contained in when IT received the money from the other employee. W-1 admitted that it had lied when IT stated the money was in a manilla envelope when IT recieved the money from the other employee."

Why were they questioning JW about the container? Was it because they already had the texts with the pictures of the money? Or would there be some other reason why they would not just take at face value his first story that the money was in an envelope? Maybe they had already spoken with EMPLOYEE who told LE that he had put the money in his pockets?

One post here some time back mentioned the CD could be based on more than one meeting with JW, during which time LE also interviewed the AIW employee tasked to withdraw the cash, and I'd add, the bank manager, whose accounts could be corroborated by bank security video.

I speculate they let JW blab, checked his first account agains the others', came back at him with "Let's go over this again. So you...," and played with him until he changed stories.
To be fair, he might have been anticipating answers that would be "right," and thus still get trapped in lies, out of nervousness and fear.
The CD only notes what he said in a first draft and how he revised, but does not indicate what the established facts are, what evidence might contradict his first, or still, his second version.

I have never thought his lies or omissions about picking up and dropping off were the only probable cause LE had to suspect him.

Another possibility which I can not claim credit for raising is that JW is in protective custody as a witness, perhaps regarded as cleared himself, but with information that will help make a case against DW.

Honestly for all we know, JW is now part of a case being built against some AIW employee. I throw that out as an example of just how crazy this case could go. JW is NOT a suspect, not charged, not a POI and neither is any AIW employee or any diplomatic attache as yet unnamed.

JMO For me, the more I know, the less I have any idea of.

Yes, I spent a bunch of time on google street view looking at the various years you can access and then comparing with the ariel view, and the conclusion I came to was that it goes to the back yard and just based on logic and why you might care to have a staircase there, my guess is it's so that people parking in the driveway and on the street can get to a back door.

Just working on this theory, maybe he didn't know the second housekeeper would be there. He may have known that NG wouldn't be there, as SS had made arrangements that she work at the dojo on Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday instead of at the S house on Thursday. If he, too (JW) was working at the dojo, they probably would have talked. If he drove SS and NG to the dojo on Wednesday (IDK), he certainly would have known NG wouldn't be at the house on Thursday. Seems like it was all hands on deck at the dojo that week, so I can see NG and JW crossing paths more than usual. IF VF told NG on Tuesday that she wanted to work at the S house on Wednesday, it's possible NG didn't share that info with JW because - why would she?

I also wonder if VF got to chatting and was there later than 3:00; maybe she was delayed and was still in the house after she was expected to be gone. I know when I have people working here, I often chit chat with them longer than either of us expects as they are lingering at the front door ready to leave. If someone expected her to be gone by 3, and wanted as few people as possible, IT could have waited until 3:30 but then found VF still in the house.

Um, YEAH. Young people are social. And the boys of a same age find each other, and sadly, the less they have on going at home, the more they hang out trying to find something.

And it's hard to verify that either of these young men (at the time) had anything much going on. I have yet to find a shred of "evidence" that JW attended Annapolis HS or played football. His concussions from football are the reason given in at least one article for why he took up racing.My son played lacrosse pretty competitively and high school football somewhat less competitively. :) If I google his name, tons of articles come up about him playing football and lacrosse. He was lightly recruited for lax, but not at any of the powerhouses, so he was good, but not someone most people would have ever heard of. He is a few years younger than JW, so I find it odd that there is not a record anywhere of JW and his high school football career. He mentioned in his bio on one of his racing websites that he played lacrosse at UMass. There is no mention of him playing varsity or club lacrosse at any of the campuses around the time he would have been there. He lists Anne Arundel Community College on his LinkedIn account, not UMass. Yes, he could have dropped out of UMass, but wouldn't he have kept his attendance, no matter how brief, listed under education on LinkedIn, since he bothers to mention it in his bio?

How much does this guy lie/embellish?

I'd still REALLY like to know why he was let go from his previous position at Autobahn. His job was filled soon after he left, so it's not like they got rid of the position.

This information makes it all the more outrageous that the Savopoulos' household could be a target in the middle of the day. How can we question that people attached to the victims did not anticipate and could never have imagined their ordeal? I believe it was the veneer of security that dispelled various party's sense that something was "off."
It takes some lack of caution and an overweening ego to attempt a crime like this in a place like that.

And who do we know with a ginormous ego? ;)

Looking at the charging documents again made me wonder why they ever focused on the question of what bag/envelope the money was in, "W-1 was also questioned about what the money was contained in when IT received the money from the other employee. W-1 admitted that it had lied when IT stated the money was in a manilla envelope when IT recieved the money from the other employee."

Why were they questioning JW about the container? Was it because they already had the texts with the pictures of the money? Or would there be some other reason why they would not just take at face value his first story that the money was in an envelope? Maybe they had already spoken with EMPLOYEE who told LE that he had put the money in his pockets?

I wonder if it's somewhere in-between. Please point out my errors, because I'm sure I'm missing some things. This supports JW not being involved in the crime.

*SS told JW on Wednesday night to go to AIW to pick up a package. JW takes his red lined bag, anticipating a package.
*Thursday morning, JW arrives at AIW. Accountant meets JW and they go to the bank. Although going to the bank is not necessary because...
*Accountant hands JW a manila envelope to be delivered to SS.
*JW at this point has not been told what is in the envelope, because WHY WOULD YOU TELL THIS GUY HE'S DELIVERING $40,000?!
*JW is curious, so he opens the envelope.
*HOLY COW! LOOK AT ALL THAT MONEY! He puts it in his red lined bag, removes BofA wrapper from a stack, fans it out for effect, takes a pic and sends it to W2. (I'm still not 100% sure it's his girlfriend. I don't think that was ever confirmed.)
*JW cannot re-seal the envelope, so now he needs to go buy a new manila envelope so no one knows he opened the first one and played with the money. (This explains the 1.5 hr trip from Hyattsville to S house which is a fair amount of time, even at rush hour.) I doubt he just happened to have a manila envelope in his car.
*JW puts the money in the new envelope and seals it. Puts it in the unlocked Mosler.
*Lies because he thinks he's smarter than everyone else and has no idea that LE is already way ahead of him by the time they sit down with him.

JMO.

And it's hard to verify that either of these young men (at the time) had anything much going on. I have yet to find a shred of "evidence" that JW attended Annapolis HS or played football. His concussions from football are the reason given in at least one article for why he took up racing.My son played lacrosse pretty competitively and high school football somewhat less competitively. :) If I google his name, tons of articles come up about him playing football and lacrosse. He was lightly recruited for lax, but not at any of the powerhouses, so he was good, but not someone most people would have ever heard of. He is a few years younger than JW, so I find it odd that there is not a record anywhere of JW and his high school football career. He mentioned in his bio on one of his racing websites that he played lacrosse at UMass. There is no mention of him playing varsity or club lacrosse at any of the campuses around the time he would have been there. He lists Anne Arundel Community College on his LinkedIn account, not UMass. Yes, he could have dropped out of UMass, but wouldn't he have kept his attendance, no matter how brief, listed under education on LinkedIn, since he bothers to mention it in his bio?

I'd still REALLY like to know why he was let go from his previous position at Autobahn. His job was filled soon after he left, so it's not like they got rid of the position.

Exactly, I'm sure he is a phony and never played sports. He's a huge liar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And stated in all the news articles I searched over two pages of links in google the same way: "last incoming or outgoing call SS made or answered..."
I don't know where I got the idea that JW did not pick up the call from SS! And I have repeated tha as information.
Apparently, from WaPo on, the phrase gets repeated. I'm sorry but one can not make an incoming call. But I get the gist. Whether or not JW picked up the call and whether a text or a VM? Again, I thought I had encountered a credible report that JW did not pick up the call, according to him because he was out of range.
Anyone got anything on this detail?
LE does not have SS phone. At the time the 11:54 a.m. call bruited about in news accounts, LE had gone over JW's cell while interviewing him, but I don't think seized it (how could they unless he said help yourself, keep my phone long as you need it?)
I guess SS's cellphone service had this info as to last incoming and outgoing call? How did LE get that info. so quickly?

I'm not sure about the original wording - the last incoming/outgoing call to/from SS' phone - working from memory.

That's the problem with MSM repeating each others' reports and never checking the original source. An assumption becomes fact if it's repeated frequently enough. I think someone on WS said the signal at Lowe's (and Home Depot) in Chantilly is really bad, and that became JW didn't pick up because of poor reception... Someone else may have a better recollection.

I wonder if LE has JW's phone. JW let them look at his phone during the interview. I'm sure they took notes. The search warrant of JW's car included "electronic devices", so I'm thinking if he didn't give his phone up willingly, they would have gotten a warrant - if they needed it. The records from AT&T might tell them everything they could get from the actual phone. IDK. Someone in thread #13 (I think) said phone records can be obtained on an emergency basis even from a police cruiser (or something like that) before a warrant can go through. If so, that may be how they got SS' records so quickly.

BTW, I see where NT took credit for the WS' work in the PEOPLE magazine article! http://www.people.com/article/dc-mansion-murders-why-are-police-investigating-jordan-wallace

Yes, I spent a bunch of time on google street view looking at the various years you can access and then comparing with the ariel view, and the conclusion I came to was that it goes to the back yard and just based on logic and why you might care to have a staircase there, my guess is it's so that people parking in the driveway and on the street can get to a back door.

That might be the path AB took from the front door to the kitchen, when SS called him.

I've never heard that we have more cameras than any other city and i think I would have. There are no traffic cameras near the house. Some of the houses have cameras, including the Savopoulos' (though the perps took the dvr) and I'm sure LE has investigated them. But I don;t know of any way LE can consult traffic cameras for this sort of thing -- they only take pictures of cars exceeding the speed limit and running red lights.

I do believe the LE can obtain access to infraction traffic cameras but I think it just records the car tag

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news...-cameras-become-top-crime-fighting-/?page=all

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Again, why do we think the money came from the bank that morning? The only reference I remember to the bank was the part of JW's statement he admitted was a lie.

The search warrant for JW BMW is looking for receipts/paperwork from BOA.

B

Perhaps the company has a "no dating policy" between managers and employees. And that would make JW in violation of policy.
I worked for a very large company a few years back, and my boss, who was a regional president, was fired for his relationship with another employee who directly reported to him. She was not fired. Just thinking out loud. JMO.

V

Did anyone determine if if the door with the boot print/ broken glass was on the side of the house/ striped awning area, or could it have been in the back where these steps lead?

I've been thinking about that boot/shoe print. It does look small, like others have noted. Do you know if LE would check all the shoes in the house against the print? I wonder if someone in the family, in a fit of pique at some point, could have made those prints. I guess if the lock actually broke, that's not likely. But someone could have been frustrated about something and kicked at the door. IDK if LE can tell when the print was made. It might not be related to the crime or from the perp(s). Just trying to think of all the possibilities. I have felt from the moment I saw this print that it was a "red herring", but I have no idea why...

boot-print.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member