DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know. It is impossible to get past it. Impossible. I think so much time has gone by and no arrests have been made that it's easy to think, "sure , okay, this guy totally lied about his actions about delivering what turned out to be ransom money," and "sure, it was discovered that DW and JW's families lived next door to each other" but that DOESNT PROVE ANYTHING.

But, man, common sense suggests there is a connection.

And I wonder why LE would not have released ANYTHING to suggest this person's innocence, but instead only let out details that suggest something nefarious.

I am no mastermind, c'mon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The guy that you happened to live next door to, sometime during your life.......is the same guy now a part of a murder investigation that has landed you in jail.

Okkkkkkk....

I don't know all the parties involved but i'm 99.99% convinced that DW and JW are on the list.

I also believe that the main reason they all had to die was because at some point during the crime.....JW had shown his face and his willing participation. How could they live after that? They had to die.

JMO of course

Is there anything else known about early reports that SS was planning on moving to Puerto Rico? One of his businesses was Sigma Investment Strategies, headquarters in Puerto Rico.

That was just a board position. He didn't need to live there to do that job. Probably a few meetings a year and everything else could be done virtually.

Is there anything else known about early reports that SS was planning on moving to Puerto Rico? One of his businesses was Sigma Investment Strategies, headquarters in Puerto Rico.

Hi littlewing and welcome to you.

Yes early on I remember some talk of Puerto Rico but I thought it was business related. They did seem to have a fondness for that region of the ocean.

I like it down that way too.

Yes early on I remember some talk of Puerto Rico but I thought it was business related. They did seem to have a fondness for that region of the ocean.

I am pretty sure that's it, that PR is a board gig. They seem to have used the VI as their residence for a year. I have no doubt, at all, that was for taxes. Nobody wants DC as their tax base if they can legitimately declare most anywhere else as their residence.

A lot of people are FL residents although they live abroad. There they pay FL property tax rather than income tax. If some one has access to voter records, it would answer that question, if the SSs are registered to vote.

Just want to say us WSer's are NOT the best at math. lol. and JMO

Going back ... to when DW was arrested with his buddies/guys/girls. Cash, et al in the the car and the box truck.

JMO and all that and what I see getting overlooked: http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...5b488a-0077-11e5-8b6c-0dcce21e223d_story.html
Authorities said they found $10,000 in the truck; Fernandez said he saw money stuffed into the side door. Court documents say authorities found money orders exceeding $10,000 and a large stack of $100 bills, the same denomination delivered to Savopoulos in the $40,000 delivery

Here it is again:http://www.cbsnews.com/news/washing...avopoulos-family-housekeeper-new-information/
According to court documents, one of the occupants in the car with Wint "admitted to purchasing money orders after the murders" estimated "to exceed $10,000." Another person in the truck admitted he was "providing cash" to buy the money orders.

And here:http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...n-Murder-DC-Charging-Documents-304744581.html
The occupant of the vehicle also told authorities he or she believed the total amount of money orders exceeded $10,000.
What is "exceeded"? Is that $2 over or what? I have no clue. I'll wait and see.

I am pretty sure that's it, that PR is a board gig. They seem to have used the VI as their residence for a year. I have no doubt, at all, that was for taxes. Nobody wants DC as their tax base if they can legitimately declare most anywhere else as their residence.

A lot of people are FL residents although they live abroad. There they pay FL property tax rather than income tax. If some one has access to voter records, it would answer that question.

Had not even thought of the tax angle but you're right, it's a good move tax wise.

South Florida, my old stomping grounds.

Not what was reported, IMO.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...family-beloved-neighborhood-article-1.2232256
He was also the head of Sigma Investment Strategies, a hedge fund that he founded, and regularly traveled to its headquarters in Puerto Rico.
Here: http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/21/us/washington-mansion-fire-slayings-savopoulos-family/
Washington (CNN)They were a wealthy family who seemingly lived a charmed life, with a $4.5 million mansion in one of Washington's toniest neighborhoods, a second home in the U.S. Virgin Islands and a growing business in Puerto Rico.

A lot of people are FL residents although they live abroad. There they pay FL property tax rather than income tax. If some one has access to voter records, it would answer that question.

Not what it was: see above with links

IF you have links for a "board gig" please post. TIA.

That was just a board position. He didn't need to live there to do that job. Probably a few meetings a year and everything else could be done virtually.

Link for "board position". Not what I read or posted links to ^^^. TIA.

Thank you for the welcome.
I had read that one of his friends reportedly said SS wanted to make Puerto Rico a permanent home. With so little known, simply digging for any pieces to put together. Who knows if a permanent move to PR was actually planned.

"Savopoulos founded a financial services firm, based in San Juan, Puerto Rico, called Sigma Investment Strategies. A business associate told CNN that Savopoulos wanted to make Puerto Rico a permanent residence for the family."
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/05/22/washington-slaying-victims-remembered/27788889/

"And we've learned that he had another company here in Puerto Rico. An office in this building is headquarters of a financial services firm called sigma investment strategies. According to the company, Savopoulos founded the firm in 2013, was its CEO and regularly traveled here to San Juan."

"A close business associate says Savopoulos was working on making Puerto Rico the permanent residence for himself and his family. Savopoulos also owned a second home in the virgin island of St. Thomas and owned land in St. Roe (ph) according to local news reports."
http://www.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1505/21/acd.01.html

Not what was reported, IMO.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...family-beloved-neighborhood-article-1.2232256
He was also the head of Sigma Investment Strategies, a hedge fund that he founded, and regularly traveled to its headquarters in Puerto Rico.
Here: http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/21/us/washington-mansion-fire-slayings-savopoulos-family/
Washington (CNN)They were a wealthy family who seemingly lived a charmed life, with a $4.5 million mansion in one of Washington's toniest neighborhoods, a second home in the U.S. Virgin Islands and a growing business in Puerto Rico.

Thank you for the welcome.
I had read that one of his friends reportedly said SS wanted to make Puerto Rico a permanent home. With so little known, simply digging for any pieces to put together. Who knows if a permanent move to PR was actually planned.

I wouldn't blame him for moving around and if it were myself, I'd also own a condo in St. Croix.

and a boat :)

I am new here. Please forgive me for initially asking the question about Puerto Rico without having added links. My question was not in any way meant to be a "RUMOR."

"Savopoulos founded a financial services firm, based in San Juan, Puerto Rico, called Sigma Investment Strategies. A business associate told CNN that Savopoulos wanted to make Puerto Rico a permanent residence for the family."
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/05/22/washington-slaying-victims-remembered/27788889/

"And we've learned that he had another company here in Puerto Rico. An office in this building is headquarters of a financial services firm called sigma investment strategies. According to the company, Savopoulos founded the firm in 2013, was its CEO and regularly traveled here to San Juan."

"A close business associate says Savopoulos was working on making Puerto Rico the permanent residence for himself and his family. Savopoulos also owned a second home in the virgin island of St. Thomas and owned land in St. Roe (ph) according to local news reports."
http://www.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1505/21/acd.01.html

(modsnip)

I'm not sure about that. I did some research on SS's private jet (a large and expensive Dassault Falcon 50) and in 2010 the name on the registration was changed from "AIW Inc" to "Sigma Flight LLC" although tail number remained the same (prior to AIW.Inc aircraft was registered to American Iron Works - Tail # N4351M) . IIRC Sigma was a private company owned outright by Savvas Savopoulos and I suspect he used this jet to make frequent trips to Puerto Rico. It appears that in 2013 the jet was sold (now registered to a trust company in Delaware ) perhaps indicating that Savvas was less involved in the Puerto Rican venture (maybe not even involved at all?).

Registration details:

http://www.planelogger.com/Aircraft/View?Registration=N925GS&DeliveryDate=09.04.10

For reference here is a picture of the jet when it was still registered to the Savopoulos family

95461_1223216964.jpg

N
I think we need to be careful about amounts of money here. There's been an assumption that only $20,000 was delivered but that is not at all established. Its an opinion (one that I don't share, at least with what we know at this point). We also don't know how much money was recovered when DW was arrested.

I realize SS' sister was quoted as saying she spoke with her brother that day but I really think she meant the day before. She said he sounded like his usual breezy self and no one else who spoke with him during the ordeal thought that.

I respectfully disagree. I think ss sister knows when she spoke to her brother. You don't think she's checked her call log? Yes, she's stressed out but it's very easy to verify if you spoke to him the day of the crimes. Plus, when she gave that quote in the article, it was very fresh. Very easy to say "omg I just spoke to savvas this morning!"

I keep going back to a WS'er saying that the Savopoulos' weren't "that" rich. These people were paid. That private jet is niiiiiice.

Don't post much but i've been following this case and fwiw i think that JW was definitely involved. His lies about the locked car and red bag/envelope says to me that "the plan" was for JW to get the money, take it to the house, the car would be unlocked for him and he would leave the money there. Imo, he needed to distance himself from "the red bag" (wasn't that part of the first story?). Imo, this "red bag" was also part of "the plan".

Now you have DW lawyer saying his client was set up. (That's why he was given the task in the first place, IMO?) I think he played the role of the fall guy from the very start of this crime. I also believe DW was given the 40k as hush money. What the mastermind was ultimately after, was worth way more than 40k.

IMO, when DW expose "the plan" it's going to consist of details that JW changed from his first story.

IMO, JW plan was to make sure his story DIDN'T match up with what DW is going to tell LE.

All just my thoughts

The hush money thought is interesting.

It is difficult to keep JW's stories straight, but the red bag actually belongs in his second (and as far as we know, final story). In his first story, the money was handed to him in a manila envelope.

The problem was that LE reminded him that he had actually sent a photo of the money in the red bag to his girlfriend. "Hmm, JW, if you got your boss's money for the dojo in an envelope, why did you remove it and put it into a red bag?"

Then JW backtracked. "Oh, yes, LE, well now that you point that out, I lied about that. Sorry. What happened was that the accountant had $40k in his pockets. I needed something to carry it in, and I had brought my red bag, so I put the money in my bag. And then somehow I got that red bag with the money in it to fit into a manila envelope which was waiting for me in SS's car. Oh, what is that you say? It would be impossible for me to unlock the Mosler without going inside the house to retrieve the devices to unlock it? That would mean that I knew what was happening in the house. Yikes. Can't have that on the record. So, let's just say, I lied about that. The car was unlocked. Yep. Red bag. Unlocked. We'll go with that for now!"

That probably wouldn't work for me... :)

"I still have chips - I can't leave the table!"

My husband and I went to the South of France for our honeymoon. My first experience with gambling. Famous last words: "Oh look! They take AmEx!"

Lol!!! My first smile of the day:):)

I'm not an attorney or LE. What do we expect to happen in the next month? Will more documents be unsealed? What triggers that? Do we think a gang may be arrested in the middle of stealing or breaking down cars by SWAT? Will DW's attorney spin more stories publicly? Plea deal? What do we expect in next month?

There will be an indictment, so we will see the formal charges against DW. While we will get more facts from that, I wouldn't expect much. It is extremely unlikely that there will be any kind of plea deal. DW's case will go on for many months, before either a trial or a plea. As far as his attorney spinning more stories, he would be wise not to say anything at all but there's no indication this is a wise attorney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1