DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting. I bet SS created this driver position just for JW. JW definitely used his charm on SS!!

Plus he was calling the wife. This guy really became family in 6 weeks. But still didn't feel obligated or comfortable enough to atleast attempt to put the money in bosses hand.

But has no problem dialing up the wife. This tells me that he wasn't your average employee who had fears of losing their job by knocking on the door and handing the money face to face.

So since he was that trusted and in the circle of trust. Why didn't he knock on the door instead of some sneaky drop off in the garage.

Plus he was calling the wife. This guy really became family in 6 weeks. But still didn't feel obligated or comfortable enough to atleast attempt to put the money in bosses hand.

But has no problem dialing up the wife. This tells me that he wasn't your average employee who had fears of losing their job by knocking on the door and handing the money face to face.

So since he was that trusted and in the circle of trust. Why didn't he knock on the door instead of some sneaky drop off in the garage.

Yeah you'd think he'd at least attempt to get face time and suck up to the boss. I'd be interested in what he told LE, what he bought at Lowe's and what he did afterward.

I can't stand the #morethantoucanaffordpal. Speaks volumes. Anyone remember how large his following was on his Twitter, Instagram or Facebook page?

Agree. This guy moved up too quick in the position for my taste.

Who was the driver before him and was he that privy as well.

I think SS created the position for JW when JW got fired. Someone else here said maybe PS had somehow contributed to JW's firing. I don't know about that, but I do wonder if JW was getting paid or tipped to "coach" kids while he was on the clock at Autobahn. (That could be why he was let go in March.) Where else would he do it? It's possible he did it when he was off work, and needed to call SS to tell him he wouldn't be able to "coach" PS since he got fired and lost his track access.

SS hired Jay Howard by the middle of April at the latest, as Howard mentions him on facebook as the newest member of his MDD program on April 23rd. This Washington Post article says PS developed an interest in go-kart racing late last year. Another article said Jay Howard started coaching PS in January. I think SS may have paid JW a few times to give PS some pointers, but I don't think JW was ever a serious coach. It sounds like SS started looking for a real coach very soon after PS' interest became apparent.
JMO

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...5e5e24-0545-11e5-bc72-f3e16bf50bb6_story.html
http://www.nate-thayer.com/race-car...ect-in-washington-savopoulos-murder-whodunit/

Awesome sleuthing rkf!!! I live in DC and can't understand why the emissions testing would've been done in Derwood, MD. If he kept the car in his garage in DC or at AIW in Hyattsville, then this place seems out of the way. Does SS have a business in Derwood? Do we know exactly where this was done? A random gas station or special foreign car service center?

That's a good question. The Derwood location is one of two DMV testing facilities to get it done in Montgomery County. There is one in Hyattsville, so I wonder why he didn't do it there. Maybe the Derwood location has shorter lines! SS registered the car in Maryland. Perhaps the trust that held their properties is located in Maryland and the car is also owned by the trust?

ETA: I just checked the MD emissions page and instructions include "The vehicle should be driven at highway speeds for at least 20 minutes before the test to warm it up." Maybe that's why he took it to Derwood instead of Silver Spring or Hyattsville. Perhaps he wanted to get it done over the holidays, when he wouldn't have to take the car into the office.

Smog emissions law varies in different states. So if the car is registered in md than smog has to be done in md.

Now once you register it to a new state; Then you have to smog it within that new state since smog qualifications varies between different states.

That's a good question. The Derwood location is one of two DMV testing facilities to get it done in Montgomery County. There is one in Hyattsville, so I wonder why he didn't do it there. Maybe the Derwood location has shorter lines! SS registered the car in Maryland. Perhaps the trust that held their properties is located in Maryland and the car is also owned by the trust?

Might JW have known someone in Derwood who would go easy on the Mosler? Are these cars tough to pass emissions? Are they a tough car to get through emissions. You see more cars like Moslers and Lamborghinis in FL and Maryland is pretty liberal?

Smog emissions law varies in different states. So if the car is registered in md than smog has to be done in md.

Now once you register it to a new state; Then you have to smog it within that new state since smog qualifications varies between different states.

Actually, my son has a car at college in another state that we keep registered in DC. To avoid driving it all the way back to get the emissions test done, he was able to get the test done where he goes to college and mail us the test results, so we could renew the registration. Even if states have different standards, you can have the test done in a different one. It's simpler to do it in the state where the car is registered. It looks to me like SS took advantage of some down time during the holidays to cross that chore off his list.

I think SS created the position for JW when JW got fired. Someone else here said maybe PS had somehow contributed to JW's firing. I don't know about that, but I do wonder if JW was getting paid or tipped to "coach" kids while he was on the clock at Autobahn. (That could be why he was let go in March.) Where else would he do it? It's possible he did it when he was off work, and needed to call SS to tell him he wouldn't be able to "coach" PS since he got fired and lost his track access.

SS hired Jay Howard by the middle of April at the latest, as Howard mentions him on facebook as the newest member of his MDD program on April 23rd. This Washington Post article says PS developed an interest in go-kart racing late last year. Another article said Jay Howard started coaching PS in January. I think SS may have paid JW a few times to give PS some pointers, but I don't think JW was ever a serious coach. It sounds like SS started looking for a real coach very soon after PS' interest became apparent.
JMO

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...5e5e24-0545-11e5-bc72-f3e16bf50bb6_story.html
http://www.nate-thayer.com/race-car...ect-in-washington-savopoulos-murder-whodunit/

Wow! This all happened in less than a year!! What six month?

Responding to TexMex made me start thinking about when JW would have first seen the Mosler. He posted a photo of it on SM (A) on January 4th. The DMV lists the car as passing its emissions test on January 3rd in Derwood MD, months before SS hired JW. I just checked the arial view of the Autobahn parking lot and I FINALLY found where the photo was taken - in the Autobahn parking lot (B). You can see the very distinctive stripes to the starboard side of the Mosler (C), as well as the top of the address of 8260 Preston Ct across the road (D).

Given that the car registration seems to have expired and the emissions test is necessary to renew it, I would assume that SS was not driving it on a regular basis before January. Since there's no photo of JW driving the car, we don't really know if he did. I think that day is the first time JW saw the Mosler and if he and the car are involved in the crime, I think that would be the earliest a plan could have started hatching. Absolutely JMO, but I have a hard time believing the impetus for the crime was a ten year-old grudge, although it could have played a role.

View attachment 76843

ETA: JW again posted on SM about the Mosler on April 17th. Was SS driving the car without current registration or had he renewed it online and MD doesn't report registration renewals to Carfax?
View attachment 76846

The quote mentioned a few posts above was posted on January 2nd.
View attachment 76845

<modsnip>

This post is valuable and thought provoking! Thank so much!

I don't think the car would be registered in DC. One of the questions accountants use to determine residency for income tax purposes is where cars are registered.

I don't know if any states will accept another's emissions test for registering a car.

Actually, my son has a car at college in another state that we keep registered in DC. To avoid driving it all the way back to get the emissions test done, he was able to get the test done where he goes to college and mail us the test results, so we could renew the registration. Even if states have different standards, you can have the test done in a different one. It's simpler to do it in the state where the car is registered. It looks to me like SS took advantage of some down time during the holidays to cross that chore off his list.

Maybe you're right. But I think CA is different. They like to keep the money in the state out here. Lol.

Plus due to the agricultural life in CA; I think they require more stringent results.

Btw. I'm tired of smog. You can have a nice car. But if that check engine light is on; They all act like there is nothing they can do until you pay all kinds of money to get it diagnosed and fixed. Usually it's just the sensor. But most shops will have you spend big money for them to fix it and pass you.

But a week later; The lights back on again. Lol

When did we find out the car is registered in MD?

I understand the S family had 2 dogs. Were they found ok?

If they were outside all night Wednesday wouldn't that be a way to know something was wrong. Wouldn't they have barked for food after all that time?

Might JW have known someone in Derwood who would go easy on the Mosler? Are these cars tough to pass emissions? Are they a tough car to get through emissions. You see more cars like Moslers and Lamborghinis in FL and Maryland is pretty liberal?

I doubt it - the emissions stations are part of the DMV and it's all computerized. We know he registered the car in Maryland in Fall of 2011. I'm assuming that's when he bought it because the car received a new title number. I don't know why he would have Florida plates on the car. Maybe so if someone stole the car, the plates would come up as expired? Since the car was registered in Maryland in 2011, he should not have been driving it with Florida plates - could be he just kept those on in the garage? Seems like a lot of work to put bad plates on, but maybe that's a theft deterrent that people use with very expensive cars. IDK. I know in DC we're supposed to return our plates if we sell a car, but sometimes people forget... Maybe you don't have to do that in Florida.

Wow! This all happened in less than a year!! What six month?

IDK. I'm just going on the MSM articles, so who knows!? :) I was surprised, too, that PS only developed an interest in go-karting late last year. You have to be 8 years old to cart at Autobahn, so I assumed he'd been doing it for a few years. He turned 10 in March.

I understand the S family had 2 dogs. Were they found ok?

If they were outside all night Wednesday wouldn't that be a way to know something was wrong. Wouldn't they have barked for food after all that time?

I think CA might have the most stringent standards in the country! I don't know if they will accept a test done in another state. Stinks if your kid has a car across the country!

When did we find out the car is registered in MD?

Carfax report. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post this. If not, I'm sure the MODs will delete it. I erased most of the title numbers so there isn't any identifying information on the report.

CARFAX Mosler.jpg

The background reading I did on the car says it is designed to be driven on streets, so I doubt it would have issues with emissions. I believe the reason you see more super cars in FL is that the road conditions are better, so snow melting chemicals or pot holes or other drivers who cause collision on snow or ice. ... The Mosler has little metal, so road salt wouldn't hurt it in January.

I think CA might have the most stringent standards in the country! I don't know if they will accept a test done in another state. Stinks if your kid has a car across the country!

Agree. Ford Fusion had to give extended warranties for smog parts for Ca residents under 150k miles.

It seems like they realized that CA owners were complaining that basic codes were causing them to fail smog due to the state smog laws. But since other states are more lenient; They only offered the extended warranty to certain states.

So every time i smog my car; I take it to ford because the check engine light never cuts off.

Then ford tells us its a $600 job but its covered under the extended smog warranty. Then they smog the car and pass us. But 2 days later;That light comes back on.

Now the car runs great. But this and the smog laws out here make it impossible for me to want to keep the car after the 150k mile smog warranty runs out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
relaxininaz