DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
IDK. I'm just going on the MSM articles, so who knows!? :) I was surprised, too, that PS only developed an interest in go-karting late last year. You have to be 8 years old to cart at Autobahn, so I assumed he'd been doing it for a few years. He turned 10 in March.

SS has a high-level position an with F-1 governing body, I am pretty sure I recall reading. If carting is the pathway to F-1, PS is the right economic demographic to pursue an interest.

The Mosler is pretty snazzy, too. It's easy to see where a child would develop an enthusiasm.

As an aside, unrelated to the case, and only slightly off-topic, Mosler is one of the top economists in the world weighing in on the Greek economic collapse and default.

Carfax report. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post this. If not, I'm sure the MODs will delete it. I erased most of the title numbers so there isn't any identifying information on the report.

View attachment 76853

I swear I am not trying to be obtuse, but I don't read that to say it is presently registered in MD. I see a 2011 registration and a 2015 inspection. What am I missing?

But go karts are for fun. Why do you need a coach. Its not like you're driving nascars. Just get on the amateur track until you are comfortable enough for the advanced track. Jmo

I'm still stuck on the car. In the attached photo, if you zoom way in, does it look like the steering wheel has one of those club-type locks on it? Makes me think JW was not driving it that day... But it also makes me think that IF stealing the Mosler was on the agenda during the crime, maybe someone had the key to the car, but not the key to the club. It would have had to be somewhere out of the house, or SS would have given the perp(s) all the keys IMO. Am I hallucinating?

MoslerLocked.jpgBest-steering-wheel-lock-review.jpg

I swear I am not trying to be obtuse, but I don't read that to say it is presently registered in MD. I see a 2011 registration and a 2015 inspection. What am I missing?

The last time the title or registration was issued in 2011 was in Maryland. This means that it was never registered in dc. The smog in 2015 was also done in Maryland.

Now if he ever registered it in another state after 2011 then it would show. Unless the report wasn't updated.

A club would be the most hilarious theft deterrent on a super car I can imagine. Everything that would imply is head shaking and eye rolling worthy. Not the suggestion of the club, mind you, I like that.

So if SS used it, he maybe thinks of it as a visual queue, that random potential car thieves are utter morons who need to see with their own eyes that the car isn't easy pickings, so they don't scratch the paint trying to do something stupid.

If JW was responsible for the car and used a club, it means that SS did not disclose the likely two-factor RFID transmitter hidden in the car, or kill switch, or other anti theft mechanisms.

The concept of a club on a super car just makes me giggle inside.

On 11/8/2011 in the right column it says "title or registration issued". The center column says Maryland Motor Vehicle Dept, Hyattsville MD. The title number is different from the earlier one. I was assuming when the car was re-titled, it was also registered in MD. Do you think he bought it in Maryland but registered it in Florida? The Maryland DMV mails an emissions test reminder about 8 weeks before the car is due for registration renewal. I guess he could have received something similar from Florida and just had the car tested in Maryland. But why get a new title in Maryland if you're just planning to register it in Florida, where it was registered by the previous owner? Also, why would it get a Maryland "maintenance" inspection in September 2011 if the car was registered in Florida? I wonder to whom the car was titled - I'm guessing that is on the registration.

Checking websites, it looks like it would cost about $400 to register the car in Florida. In DC the fees are 6-8% percent of the vehicle's fair market value. That would probably be a lot more than $400.
http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/faqmotor.html#3
http://dmv.dc.gov/node/155502

A club would be the most hilarious theft deterrent on a super car I can imagine. Everything that would imply is head shaking and eye rolling worthy. Not the suggestion of the club, mind you, I like that.

So if SS used it, he maybe thinks of it as a visual queue, that random potential car thieves are utter morons who need to see with their own eyes that the car isn't easy pickings, so they don't scratch the paint trying to do something stupid.

If JW was responsible for the car and used a club, it means that SS did not disclose the likely two-factor RFID transmitter hidden in the car, or kill switch, or other anti theft mechanisms.

The concept of a club on a super car just makes me giggle inside.

So maybe I AM hallucinating... :blushing:

BTW, I doubt JW was responsible for the Mosler. I think it spent most of its time in the garage. JMO

In California, if you plan on storing your car and not driving it, a Planned Non-Operation (PNO) must be filed prior to the expiration date. Fee, I think, for all vehicles is $20. Doesn't look like they have anything like that in Maryland.

http://www.dmv.org/md-maryland/registration-renewal.php

Non-Operational Vehicle

Before taking your car off the road, turn in the license plates to the MVA before canceling your insurance coverage. If you cancel the insurance first, you risk being fined driving without coverage.

When you're ready to resume driving your vehicle again (or parking it on a public street), visit your local MVA office with:
Proper identification
The car's title
A completed registration application
Payment for registration fees

On 11/8/2011 in the right column it says "title or registration issued". The center column says Maryland Motor Vehicle Dept, Hyattsville MD. The title number is different from the earlier one. I was assuming when the car was re-titled, it was also registered in MD. Do you think he bought it in Maryland but registered it in Florida? The Maryland DMV mails an emissions test reminder about 8 weeks before the car is due for registration renewal. I guess he could have received something similar from Florida and just had the car tested in Maryland. But why get a new title in Maryland if you're just planning to register it in Florida, where it was registered by the previous owner? Also, why would it get a Maryland "maintenance" inspection in September 2011 if the car was registered in Florida? I wonder to whom the car was titled - I'm guessing that is on the registration.

Checking websites, it looks like it would cost about $400 to register the car in Florida. In DC the fees are 6-8% percent of the vehicle's fair market value. That would probably be a lot more than $400.
http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/faqmotor.html#3
http://dmv.dc.gov/node/155502

The actual registration fees are small potatoes, if he is wanting to be "by the book" about not being a DC resident for tax purposes. I'd guess for them it would be in the six figures.

So maybe I AM hallucinating... :blushing:

BTW, I doubt JW was responsible for the Mosler. I think it spent most of its time in the garage. JMO

Seriously, I like the idea of a club on a Mosler, and parked near the Broke Racers Club hangout, it would be apropos.

I think it would weird me out if my BF put somebody else's money in his bag and sent a photo. I'm curious as to what he had told her. I would bet he was trying to make her think it was his - otherwise it'd make no sense it was in his backpack or bag. This is pretty disturbing. I wouldn't be surprised if the GF contacted LE herself after hearing the news. I'd be scared to death my BF was involved.

Except his job involved running errands for a very wealthy person. I don't think he was trying to make it seem like his. He posted pictures all the time of SS' cars he was driving.

Maybe that was SS's clue. "Lawn crew". Maybe they didn't have a lawn crew and he hoped his sister would pick up on this. Crew.
Has LE or anyone confirmed this?
I looked in the urban dictionary to see if lawn crew had another meaning. Nothing there. But I did find a business by that name...
And that pressure washer box was in the garage...

His sister lived in Florida. She would have no way of knowing he didn't have a lawn crew there. I continue to think that if SS wanted to send a signal he would have been much less ambiguous. He had opportunities. I think he wanted to protect his wife and son. I also think the sister called the day before and either she or the reporter got it jumbled, only because the tone she described SS using was not described by anyone else.

Does anyone believe we will get any new information at the preliminary hearing for DW? I feel like we need some more information. Speculation is great but will anything new be on the horizon at that hearing???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, as the preliminary hearing is what they need to tell the minimal amount of information to take it to court. E.g. In the past week the McStay case, with Chase Merritt, had preliminary hearing and we found out so much information we had been waiting years to hear :moo:

I think we should be cautious about assuming JW was especially close to the family. Everything that is being cited as proving he was part of some inner circle, could easily have a different explanation.

Yes, SS hired him. But there could be multiple explanations for this...ranging from some guilt about why JW was fired...to SS just being a good-hearted man, wanting to help someone who needed a job.

Yes, he delivered the ransom.Being chosen to deliver money to "save his family's life" is one dramatic explanation; another might be that DW told SS to have JW do the drop off. The explanation could be as simple as SS was instructed how to set up delivery...not that JW had been clutched to the family bosom in 6 weeks time and chosen for a rescue mission.

Likewise, the familiar tone of the voicemail to AS proves nothing. JW might have known he was speaking to a dead woman so he could be as familiar as he pleased.

And Facebook Friends? Really???? I have two actual complete strangers who want to be my "friend" at this very moment. But if one were an employee of my husband, I might "accept" just to be kind and because my FB page is boringly generic. This would not be confirmation that this person is in an inner circle of my family.

The comment that SS let JW drive because he wanted the opinion of a "real race driver" is almost sad. In the circles that SS and his family frequented, did JW really think he actually qualified as a "real race car driver" of any stature or prominence to SS? Thats like me claiming that someone asked me to try on a couture dress because he wanted to see how a "real model" would look in it...because I often get asked to participate in my (desperate for anyone) church fashion shows.

To some, JW's exaggerations and self confidence are charming. At the moment, he is a witness and nothing more. I'm just pointing out that we cannot assume anything about the state of his relationship with SS.

SS had been running multiple businesses for years. Every man in such a position has a circle of trusted employees at work. They are other professionals whose advice is essential to continued success. Unlike Cinderella stories, I would doubt that would include a 28 year old just fired from a GoKart business, that has worked for SS for only 6 weeks.

This would assume a neediness or naïveté on SS's part that is countered by his continued professional success. He was kind to an unemployed young man. He didn't need him as a coach. He could and did hire better. He didn't need his "professional race car advice"...I don't doubt from his International Board standing that he could get advice from the highest racing levels. He didn't need a "son" to sponser...he had one he adored...one he wanted to have the best of everything...a son that ended up, for some twisted reason, being singled out for torture and burned alive.

For the time being, that child and this family are foremost in my mind. LE has released SW on JW...just one particular uncharged "witness"....that has singled him out for scrutiny and media spotlight.

Why just JW...I don't know. But it's not like Sleuthers CHOSE him out of all others for no reason to "discuss" and question his possible involvement.

LE has essentially released a document that practically said..."HMMM, look here."

Just my opinion...about a witness, not currently a POI in this case.

This car was wrecked 1 week after being registered in 2009, to original owner? Concrete barrier?
My car snob husband would never buy an exotic car that that been wrecked. They are never the same after hitting a concrete barrier.

I think car fax only updates registration/ ownership when it changes. Gonna check a car I recently sold.

Cannot delete post using Tapatalk?

This car was wrecked 1 week after being registered in 2009, to original owner? Concrete barrier?
My car snob husband would never buy an exotic car that that been wrecked. They are never the same after hitting a concrete barrier.

I think car fax only updates registration/ ownership when it changes. Gonna check a car I recently sold.

I also looked it up on a paid database. It wasn't just car fax. My own registration showed as current.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

www.cnn.com/2015/06/23/politics/daron-wint-dc-mansion-murder-cnn-documentary/index.html

New CNN article with details I haven't seen before:

"Law enforcement officials now tell CNN that Wint's DNA was found on other parts of the crime scene as well."

Wint's cousin worked there as well until being fired in 2005, and sources tell CNN that the cousin then threatened to burn the place down. The company earned a restraining order barring the cousin from the premises, the sources say."

"Wint worked from 2003 to 2005 as a welder at American Iron Works, the same company owned by Savvas Savopoulos, CNN has learned.

I think we should be cautious about assuming JW was especially close to the family. Everything that is being cited as proving he was part of some inner circle, could easily have a different explanation.

Yes, SS hired him. But there could be multiple explanations for this...ranging from some guilt about why JW was fired...to SS just being a good-hearted man, wanting to help someone who needed a job.

Yes, he delivered the ransom.Being chosen to deliver money to "save his family's life" is one dramatic explanation; another might be that DW told SS to have JW do the drop off. The explanation could be as simple as SS was instructed how to set up delivery...not that JW had been clutched to the family bosom in 6 weeks time and chosen for a rescue mission.

Likewise, the familiar tone of the voicemail to AS proves nothing. JW might have known he was speaking to a dead woman so he could be as familiar as he pleased.

And Facebook Friends? Really???? I have two actual complete strangers who want to be my "friend" at this very moment. But if one were an employee of my husband, I might "accept" just to be kind and because my FB page is boringly generic. This would not be confirmation that this person is in an inner circle of my family.

The comment that SS let JW drive because he wanted the opinion of a "real race driver" is almost sad. In the circles that SS and his family frequented, did JW really think he actually qualified as a "real race car driver" of any stature or prominence to SS? Thats like me claiming that someone asked me to try on a couture dress because he wanted to see how a "real model" would look in it...because I often get asked to participate in my (desperate for anyone) church fashion shows.

To some, JW's exaggerations and self confidence are charming. At the moment, he is a witness and nothing more. I'm just pointing out that we cannot assume anything about the state of his relationship with SS.

SS had been running multiple businesses for years. Every man in such a position has a circle of trusted employees at work. They are other professionals whose advice is essential to continued success. Unlike Cinderella stories, I would doubt that would include a 28 year old just fired from a GoKart business, that has worked for SS for only 6 weeks.

This would assume a neediness or naïveté on SS's part that is countered by his continued professional success. He was kind to an unemployed young man. He didn't need him as a coach. He could and did hire better. He didn't need his "professional race car advice"...I don't doubt from his International Board standing that he could get advice from the highest racing levels. He didn't need a "son" to sponser...he had one he adored...one he wanted to have the best of everything...a son that ended up, for some twisted reason, being singled out for torture and burned alive.

For the time being, that child and this family are foremost in my mind. LE has released SW on JW...just one particular uncharged "witness"....that has singled him out for scrutiny and media spotlight.

Why just JW...I don't know. But it's not like Sleuthers CHOSE him out of all others for no reason to "discuss" and question his possible involvement.

LE has essentially released a document that practically said..."HMMM, look here."

Just my opinion...about a witness, not currently a POI in this case.

I agree with your assessment about the relationships mostly but do question one thing. The relationship between the family and JW does seem to go back a bit further with PS and go karts at the autobahn track.

I'm not positive where it came that JW had AS's phone number to message her about the home on fire but he picked up AS's phone number at some point.

I do question if this goes back to AS knowing JW from the autobahn and PS's involvement. I also wonder if AS made a recommendation to SS about hiring JW somewhere in there. I'm just unsure of the dynamics, he knew her as Ms. Amy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1