DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO searching JW's man purse is a waste of time. There are more significant leads with this group of people than looking at cars that were not stolen. The crime is abduction and murder and DW has been charged with First degree murder while armed. He was with five other persons when he was arrested. There are more significant leads with this group of people than looking at cars that were not stolen. We can't discuss the people who were with him when he was arrested but there are a lot of eye openers if you follow the money. Who might have hard feelings for SS? Who is capable of theft, and prone to violence? The CNN special report tonight will shed significant light on this.

:yeahthat:

We've learned a lot since the start of the case.

A. We were told there was no sign of a break in.

"Lanier said there was no evidence to suggest random or forced entry into the Savopouloses’ home but asked anyone who had seen anything suspicious in the area to call police."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...36d0aa-fb24-11e4-9ef4-1bb7ce3b3fb7_story.html

B. Then we learn there is evidence of a break in:

The documents also state that a window pane on a French door on the side of the house was broken and investigators also found a shoe or boot tread outside that door, which police say suggests someone broke into the house. The print doesn’t match the boots issued to D.C. firefighters, who later arrived at the multi-million dollar house to extinguish a fire on the upper level. Investigators write that firefighters interviewed say they didn’t use that door, court records say.

http://wtop.com/dc/2015/06/court-docs-show-forced-entry-stolen-phones-in-quadruple-d-c-homicide/

C. Wint fits the MO. Here's what the forensic pathologist on site at the Savopoulos' home said about the person who committed this crime:

“Whenever we have any of these very tragic incidents, one of the first things we point to is mental illness,” said Jay Singh, a forensic researcher and president and CEO of the Global Institute of Forensic Research.

He said there are five types of arsonists and they may be:

1. Suffering from mental illness

2. Experiencing a state of excitation

3. Looking to file a false insurance claim

4. Seeking revenge

5. Trying to conceal a crime scene

“It seems, at least in this case, that either revenge or concealment would be the most likely subtypes,” he said. “It seems to be here though the individual has insight into what they were doing, was thinking relatively clearly and that it could be certainly, because there were no signs of forced entry, that this was someone who was either known to the family or had some way of being able to gain access to the home.”

http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/29108580/investigation-continues-nw-dc-murders

I tried to do that with some of my software (Adobe Audition), but it's really tough since PS is the background noise, rather than SS. I am also away from home and my giant editing computer. My laptop cannot handle the load. I would think the FBI would have experts who could do this in a few hours at the most. I am really shocked if this hasn't yet been done. Makes me want to go back to try again...

I have downloaded a clip of the voice mail, but am not sure I have the most complete version. Because of the way ABC loads their clips, it's virtually impossible for me to snag the whole thing. If someone has the entire voicemail, including the part where SS says they're having some problems with PS, would you mind messaging it to me? Or posting here, if that's okay.

TIA!

All I have is the ABC link. I can't understand what is being said in the background. It just sounds like a scream to me and then Savvas' voice changes. He seems very concerned knowing what we know now...

Here's how Nellie thinks the perpetuator entered the family home:

"Another housekeeper, Nelitza Gutierrez, who has been with the Savopoulos family for 20 years, said Thursday that she had never seen Wint before. She said the house is guarded by an aggressive watchdog, a Labrador, named Ginger and thinks that an intruder may have gotten in through an open backyard gate while the dog was taken out for a walk."

http://www.pressreader.com/usa/baltimore-sun/20150522/281651073696068/TextView

Interesting and entirely plausible theory IMO. Not to be incendiary, but I am curious as to why no mention of the 2nd dog...

I apologize for bringing this subject up again as it was discussed at length in the prior threads and there may have been an agreement to stop discussing it.

I was listening to the original "uncut" (below) version of SS's voicemail from Wednesday evening. Did we agree that PS's voice is that we hear in the background yelling something after SS says AS is sick in bed? The sound itself is so disturbing - in hindsight - but that the room appears to be dead silent immediately afterwards is haunting.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/mansion-fire-mysterious-voicemail-latest-clue-dc-blaze/story?id=31121535

I don't know if this is the uncut version- the original one, IIRC, also included a part with SS saying they were having some trouble with PS and that part had awful background noise :(

I hope we learn more about this tonight:

"According to the court documents, the cellphones of the Savopouloses and Figueroa were at the home during the crime but were taken from the house. Investigators have tapped the phones and asked carriers for phone records to see if they’ve been transferred to any other numbers. D.C. police hope the GPS function in the phones can lead investigators to other suspects."

http://wtop.com/dc/2015/06/court-docs-show-forced-entry-stolen-phones-in-quadruple-d-c-homicide/

Also, did Wint own a car? I think this was discussed, but I don't remember the outcome. Same article says:

"Police also want to search inside the the car of the only man currently charged in the killings for a digital video recorder that was used to capture and store surveillance video for the Savopoulos' home."

Wallace's phone was also tapped in addition to the cell phones stolen from the family and Vera Figueroa.

"Another housekeeper, Nelitza Gutierrez, who has been with the Savopoulos family for 20 years, said Thursday that she had never seen Wint before. She said the house is guarded by an aggressive watchdog, a Labrador, named Ginger and thinks that an intruder may have gotten in through an open backyard gate while the dog was taken out for a walk."

Interesting and entirely plausible theory IMO. Not to be incendiary, but I am curious as to why no mention of the 2nd dog...

This makes sense. I've long wondered if the housekeeper took the dogs for a walk and left PS at home, recovering...and that's when the intruder got in. Poor child. How frightening...
On another note, I thought I'd read somewhere that PS *did* go to school on Wed...so not sure about the timeline of everything...school would get out around 3:00 or so...??
Also, possibly the 20/20 report stated that SS was *not* restrained when his body was found...not sure what that means, my mind goes a lot of places with that information...

This is additional information to consider when following the money. While Wint was in New York, two women in Washington, DC were purchasing the money orders and laudering them back into untraceable cash. They were being provided the money by one of the persons who was in the box truck when Wint was arrested.

(From the Supplement to Wint Arrest Warrant Affidavit) RE: The 2012 Chevrolet, “..An occupant of the vehicle was subsequently interviewed and admitted to purchasing money orders after the murders under the direction of an identified person who was providing it with money. The occupant estimated the total amount of the money orders to exceed $10,000…

RE: The Amerit box truck, “.. One of the occupants of the box truck was subsequently identified as the person who was providing cash to the occupant of the 2012 Chevrolet described above.”

This makes sense. I've long wondered if the housekeeper took the dogs for a walk and left PS at home, recovering...and that's when the intruder got in. Poor child. How frightening...
On another note, I thought I'd read somewhere that PS *did* go to school on Wed...so not sure about the timeline of everything...school would get out around 3:00 or so...??
Also, possibly the 20/20 report stated that SS was *not* restrained when his body was found...not sure what that means, my mind goes a lot of places with that information...

It's very frustrating! Every network has their own facts it seems. It's a different reporter for every update. Nothing seems consistent. Not sure who to believe. :banghead: I have confidence LE has it all under control and knows the facts.

This is additional information to consider when following the money. While Wint was in New York, two women in Washington, DC were purchasing the money orders and laudering them back into untraceable cash. They were being provided the money by one of the persons who was in the box truck when Wint was arrested.

(From the Supplement to Wint Arrest Warrant Affidavit) RE: The 2012 Chevrolet, “..An occupant of the vehicle was subsequently interviewed and admitted to purchasing money orders after the murders under the direction of an identified person who was providing it with money. The occupant estimated the total amount of the money orders to exceed $10,000…

RE: The Amerit box truck, “.. One of the occupants of the box truck was subsequently identified as the person who was providing cash to the occupant of the 2012 Chevrolet described above.”

Thank you Facundo!!!! very useful. I wonder if the person providing the $$$ is still in custody? Only 4 were released!

Paula88
Thank you Facundo!!!! very useful. I wonder if the person providing the $$$ is still in custody? Only 4 were released!

Paula, Do you have a source for your statement that "Only 4 were released?!"

"The four bodies were discovered on the second floor of the house. At least three had suffered blunt force trauma before the blaze, police have said, and the fire is being treated as an arson.

Investigators found no source of forced entry and believe the suspects were able to gain access to the home on Wednesday and stayed overnight as they knew how the family 'lived their day to day lives.'

FOX5 reported that the suspects tortured at least three of the hostages - including 10-year-old go-karting fanatic, Philip.

The station, quoting sources familiar with the scene, said the adults were tied to chairs while the little boy was found in bed. He had been burned beyond recognition and had lacerations to his body." :sigh:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ed-40-000-package-murdered.html#ixzz3bAZ1Bpyb

I still think that an aggressive watchdog and Labrador in the same sentence is hard to take seriously :) This came up in some earlier threads, and I know some labs and "friendly" breeds can be very protective and aggressive if the family is threatened, but now that there are signs of forced entry, I think I'm less sure about this as a way of entry.

It is strange she didn't mention a second dog if they had one. I feel like I remember mention of two, but now that I'm googling, the only article I'm finding that says two is from Daily Mail (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...om-killed-father-brother-Washington-home.html), and this one mentions Amy walking the dog (singular) around the neighborhood (http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...36d0aa-fb24-11e4-9ef4-1bb7ce3b3fb7_story.html)

I feel like there were better links out there, maybe even with pictures of the dog(s) leaving the scene, but I can't find them off hand.

I can't keep up with the different news outlets lol some say 4 people and some say 5. I have no idea now.

Facundo, this article is worded weirdly, but it does say 4 people were
released. I'll look for others...

I still think that an aggressive watchdog and Labrador in the same sentence is hard to take seriously :) This came up in some earlier threads, and I know some labs and "friendly" breeds can be very protective and aggressive if the family is threatened, but now that there are signs of forced entry, I think I'm less sure about this as a way of entry.

It is strange she didn't mention a second dog if they had one. I feel like I remember mention of two, but now that I'm googling, the only article I'm finding that says two is from Daily Mail (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...om-killed-father-brother-Washington-home.html), and this one mentions Amy walking the dog (singular) around the neighborhood (http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...36d0aa-fb24-11e4-9ef4-1bb7ce3b3fb7_story.html)

I feel like there were better links out there, maybe even with pictures of the dog(s) leaving the scene, but I can't find them off hand.

Yes, I agree. I own a 100 lb black lab named Annie and she's never bitten anyone. In fact, if she rides the store with me, people will literally come up to the car and pet her and hug her and I swear she'd lick them to death. However, if anyone asks me if she bites, I never say no simply because there have been occasions that she has acted aggressively. Once there was an annoying salesman selling meat door to door and I recognized his vehicle peeping out the window. I let Annie out the back door and the next thing I see is the salesman running past my kitchen window as fast as he can and Annie is chasing him. She was all hyped up. Her hair was raised up and she was acting aggressive, so I really can't predict how she might behave if she thought I was in danger.

The obituary mentions two dogs...

Atthelake posted several photos of the dogs. Need to do a search like Bondgirl suggested...

Doggie2.JPG

"The four bodies were discovered on the second floor of the house. At least three had suffered blunt force trauma before the blaze, police have said, and the fire is being treated as an arson.

Investigators found no source of forced entry and believe the suspects were able to gain access to the home on Wednesday and stayed overnight as they knew how the family 'lived their day to day lives.'

FOX5 reported that the suspects tortured at least three of the hostages - including 10-year-old go-karting fanatic, Philip.

The station, quoting sources familiar with the scene, said the adults were tied to chairs while the little boy was found in bed. He had been burned beyond recognition and had lacerations to his body." :sigh:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ed-40-000-package-murdered.html#ixzz3bAZ1Bpyb

Thank you, I saw this. But I believe that a recent report said that SS was 'not bound' when his body was found...possibly the 20/20 report...I'll look for it...I agree with what someone stated earlier, that the reporting is inconsistent as are the facts. LE is holding tight onto the details...

Yes, I agree. I own a 100 lb black lab named Annie and she's never bitten anyone. In fact, if she rides the store with me, people will literally come up to the car and pet her and hug her and I swear she'd lick them to death. However, if anyone asks me if she bites, I never say no simply because there have been occasions that she has acted aggressively. Once there was an annoying salesman selling meat door to door and I recognized his vehicle peeping out the window. I let Annie out the back door and the next thing I see is the salesman running past my kitchen window as fast as he can and Annie is chasing him. She was all hyped up. Her hair was raised up and she was acting aggressive, so I really can't predict how she might behave if she thought I was in danger.

The obituary mentions two dogs...

Atthelake posted several photos of the dogs. Need to do a search like Bondgirl suggested...

View attachment 76905

That is the picture I had in mind! I could totally see the dog being very protective, and was open to that theory much more before forced entry was found. Unless he forced entry when they were out on the walk and they came back to him in there? IDK.

Yes, sorry- searching within Websleuths is something I forget about. I take for granted how high WS sometimes comes up in Google results- it usually kills 2 birds with 1 stone to search that way, but not always.

Facundo, this article is worded weirdly, but it does say 4 people were
released. I'll look for others...

Here is another from CBS with slightly more detail
May 25 Police released four people http://www.cbsnews.com/news/4-detained-with-d-c-mansion-murders-suspect-released/
WASHINGTON -- D.C. police say they have released four people who were detained at the same time that the suspect in the slayings of a wealthy family was taken into custody.
Police did not identify the four people or say how long they were detained. There was no immediate word on the whereabouts of a fifth person taken into custody when Wint was.

The reporter, Juniana Goldman, states in the video that five were arrested but they've since been released. This conflicts with the written account on this web link. ( Aaarrgh!)

Doesn't take much to guess who this one was.

Thank you, I saw this. But I believe that a recent report said that SS was 'not bound' when his body was found...possibly the 20/20 report...I'll look for it...I agree with what someone stated earlier, that the reporting is inconsistent as are the facts. LE is holding tight onto the details...

I watched the 20/20 report, but I don't remember the details regarding SS. It was actually the search warrant that made me question the link I gave because I think it mentioned Mrs. Figueroa being the first person found when the firemen entered the home, but the search warrant I'm reading right now does state 3 unconscious adults were located on the second floor in a bedroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member