DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I transcribed the video for anyone who might not be able to watch it via the link. If I made any mistakes, please tell me.

Reporter Meagan Fitzgerald: "Much of the focus over the last several weeks has been here at the Savopoulos' mansion on Woodland Drive, but a source close to the family says in the days leading up to their death the family's focus was in Chantilly, Virginia on a karate studio which Savvas Savopoulos was getting ready to open.

Time was running out during the week of May 11th. We know now that in more than one way Savvas Savopoulos was rushing to get this karate studio ready for the grand opening on May 14th. The urgency apparent in his wife, Amy's voice message to their longtime housekeeper, Nellie Gutierrez, which we are now hearing for the very first time:

Voicemail from Amy to Nellie: "Hey Nelly. It's Amy. I am calling to see if I could get your, you and your crew I think is the best bet, maybe two days, Monday/Tuesday or Tuesday/Wednesday, if you could. Savvas built a martial arts studio in Chantilly, Virginia and of course Bill is doing the construction, so we are like down to the wire."

Reporter MF: So Nelly agreed to help clean the new karate studio because it appeared to be important to Amy. She also suggested that their other housekeeper work at the studio with Nellie.

Amy's voicemail again: "And if you need to take Vera you can take Vera too, so just let me know... So next week is sort of a crazy week anyway."

Reporter: The crazy turn of events started on Wednesday when Vera didn't want to stay late to clean the studio, so she decided to work at the Savopoulos' house instead. It was a decision that would end up costing her, her life.

A source close to the family says Savvas was at the studio when he received a call wife from his wife luring him back home. Investigators believe Amy, their son, Philip, and housekeeper, Vera Figueroa, were already held hostage inside. Savvas arrives home and hours later at 9:35 Wednesday night investigators believe the suspect, Daron Wint, forced him to make a call:

Savvas' voicemail to Nellie: "Hey Nelly! It's Savvas. Amy is in bed sick tonight and she was sick this afternoon and Vera offered to stay and help her out because you know we're going through some stuff with Philip so she is going stay the night here. Okay. Thank you (pause). Oh, and would you send me a text when you get the message just so I can make sure. Thanks Nelly. Goodnight."

Reporter: Goodnight. Those words the last Nelly would ever hear again from Savvas, a man she had known for more than two decades, and on Thursday, just before 10:00, a final text message sent from Amy's phone saying:

text: I am making sure you do not come today. (If you would come from or Monday that would be great.)

Reporter: The same day the karate studio is set to open, hours before the mansion goes up in flames and the horrifying discovery of four victims murdered inside. The timing of it all still puzzling for those close to the family adding to the mystery of why their lives were taken. ~~ Meagan Fitzgerald

New Recording Released in Mansion Murders

A grand jury has been convened in the mansion murders case after the deaths of Amy, Philip and Savvas Savopoulos and their housekeeper Veralicia Figueroa. More charges could be coming. We're also hearing a new audio recording from the family for the first time. Meagan Fitzgerald has the story, only on News4.

By Meagan Fitzgerald

Jun 26, 2015

http://www.nbcwashington.com/video/#!/news/local/New-Recording-Released-in-Mansion-Murders/310181741

So the dojo opening was Thursday rather than Friday. So possibly SS did plan to bring $40k in prize money for winners of various competition to VA on Thursday.

Does this new info suggest Vera and NG worked at the dojo Monday and Tuesday?

Does the fact that Amy uses first name "Bill" suggest NG knew him?

She says "Savvas built a martial arts studio in Chantilly, Virginia and of course Bill is doing the construction, so we are like down to the wire."

The fact that she say "so of course" makes it seem as if this Bill has a reputation for being late with his work. Might he have done work on the S house? Might NG know him from that?

So the dojo opening was Thursday rather than Friday. So possibly SS did plan to bring $40k in prize money for winners of various competition to VA on Thursday.

Does this new info suggest Vera and NG worked at the dojo Monday and Tuesday?

Does the fact that Amy uses first name "Bill" suggest NG knew him?

She says "Savvas built a martial arts studio in Chantilly, Virginia and of course Bill is doing the construction, so we are like down to the wire."

The fact that she say "so of course" makes it seem as if this Bill has a reputation for being late with his work. Might he have done work on the S house? Might NG know him from that?

Great questions!

1. Sounds like Vera worked strictly at the Savopoulos' home that Wednesday.

2. Yes, that's what it sounded like to me - both of those questions. And, again I'm assuming this was a contractor the family regularly used.

I think all of that makes sense. If Bill is S's go-to contractor, NG could very well know him. I also wonder if the opening did have to be pushed to Fri, since it sounds like that was when people were flying in. But, regardless of whether the orig plan was Thurs or Fri, opening a dojo sure would give a good cover for having to access cash urgently without arousing suspicion. Dunno if that's what the perps were thinking! SS's focus seemed to be on the dojo--I bet it might have aroused suspicion if he suddenly switched gears to focusing on an unrelated purchase the day before the opening. Wonder what reason he gave for needing the money. The invoice/estimate with the contractor makes sense. I was actually wondering if the contractor might have had cash on hand from SS that SS was now trying to retrieve to give to DW.

Re: Credit cards taken by DW, from the search warrant:

Attachment A

The following items are to be searched for:

1. U.S. Currency, to include money wrappers.

2. Cellular telephones and the content of any cellular telephones to include all messages,voicemails, emails, contact information, logs of incoming and outgoing phone calls, and photographs;

3. Red Bag used to transport U.S. Currency (as further described in the affidavit);

4. Clothing or shoes containing blood;

5. Items, specifically clothing, that indicate the odor of gasoline or otherwise indicate the presence of ignitable liquids (as further described in the affidavit);

6. Container that can be used to transport or store gasoline or other accelerant;

7. Paperwork, documents, credit cards, or any other items in the names of the four victims: Amy Savopoulos, Savvas Savopoulos, Philip Savopoulos, and Veralicia Figueroa;

8. Digital video recorder used to capture and store surveillance video and any items relating to the capture and storing of surveillance video for 3201 Woodland Drive, N.W. Washington, D.C.;

9. Paperwork or photographs depicting or referencing 3201 Woodland Drive, Northwest, Washington, D.C.;

10. Weapons, to include knives, firearms, ammunition, or objects that could be used to inflict blunt force trauma;

11. Gloves;

12. Duct tape or other material that can be used to bind the hands and feet;

13. Photographs of associates of Daron Dylon Wint;

14. Forensic evidence to include, but not limited to, blood, hair and fibers;

15. The processing of fingerprints, and extraction of DNA evidence utilizing chemicals or any other alternative method deemed necessary;

16. Documents which substantiate ownership of any weapons seized;

17. Documents which substantiate occupancy of the premises;

18. Photographs of subjects yet unknown which could help identify witness and/or Co-conspirators in this case.

19. Digital cameras which may include photographs;

20. Computer hardware, laptops, tablets, and software that can be used to store information;

21. Mail matter;

22. Clothing that may or may not contain forensic evidence;

23. Shoes that contain a tread pattern similar to the picture depicted in Attachment B.

24. Money orders and paperwork relating to money orders.

http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/29230638/search-warrants-cell-phones-stolen-savopoulos-murders

About using the nickname, I think in a lot of homes it is the female head of household who manages the domestic staff, and so has a more personal relationship. My husband has always been cordial and as professional as a person could be with our helpers. I mean professional and cordial considering he's dealing with the kindly lady we trust with a key to our home, who washes his underpants, and dusts the closets where the skeletons are kept. It is an intensely personal relationship, yes, but not particularly friendly or informal.

To clarify, I was talking about SS calling his son by his given name instead of his nick name.
I agree with your point about managing staff, so the normal thing would have been to have AS call NG, not SS. I was surprised that AS was the one making arrangements with NG for the dojo, as I'd read previously that NG made those arrangements with SS. I guess in retrospect, that's another red flag.

That is not so far fetched. SS's mind must have been whirling. He might have had reason to suspect that DW and Co had inside info, based on what the peeps were saying to him. Although, if NG was giving info, wouldn't DW and Co just call her themselves if they wanted to relay info? Why appease SS's wish to call her or force him to call her?

Creating an alibi?

Just an observation from the new video, the karate studio didn't like it was ready to open to me. There were no signs on the outside of the building announcing an opening. The inside looked sparse and dark. I have no clue what it was supposed to look like, just saying it didn't like a "Grand Opening" of anything.

From the search warrant dated June 5th:

Page Two

5. The scene of the investigation is a three story, brick residential home with a basement. On the side of the residence is a set of French style exterior doors. The doors have a single broken window pane located next to a door latch and alarm sensor. The door is broken near the lock and a shoe or boot print is visible on the exterior, suggesting forced entry. The visible shoe or boot print is not consistent with the current issued DCFEMS firefighting boots. Preliminary interviews of firefighters reveal that firefighters did not enter this door. A "not to scale image of the shoe or boot tread print is shown in Attachment B. It is requested to search for and seize any shoe or boot with similar tread pattern.

http://wtop.com/dc/2015/06/court-docs-show-forced-entry-stolen-phones-in-quadruple-d-c-homicide/

Perhaps Wint kicked the door to test the alarm system. It didn't go off when he kicked the door, so he broke the window pane next to the door latch.

Why wouldn't they see that the first time they canvassed the house? I don't believe they announced there was no sign of forced entry without first checking all the doors. It doesn't make sense. I wonder if even though the door was broken, it wasn't broken enough to allow entry. IDK - just trying to understand the discrepancy.

Creating an alibi?

Okay. So based on that theory, NG would be requesting that DW force SS to call her so that there would a voicemail from SS confirming that she was not there at the house at that time on Weds night and was requested to not be there the following day? Or confirming that SS didn't suspect her? Both?

It might now be, "she HAD many high profile homes." :hanging:

Right?! Would you ever hire a woman who blabbed to anyone who would listen, even if she wasn't saying anything bad about the family? Given the personal nature of working in someone's home, discretion is extremely important. The same reason I find JW's SM posts of AS' car interior so offensive. Both of these people, even if completely uninvolved in the crime, have displayed their lack of discretion in professional situations.

I think all of that makes sense. If Bill is S's go-to contractor, NG could very well know him. I also wonder if the opening did have to be pushed to Fri, since it sounds like that was when people were flying in. But, regardless of whether the orig plan was Thurs or Fri, opening a dojo sure would give a good cover for having to access cash urgently without arousing suspicion. Dunno if that's what the perps were thinking! SS's focus seemed to be on the dojo--I bet it might have aroused suspicion if he suddenly switched gears to focusing on an unrelated purchase the day before the opening. Wonder what reason he gave for needing the money. The invoice/estimate with the contractor makes sense. I was actually wondering if the contractor might have had cash on hand from SS that SS was now trying to retrieve to give to DW.

I've been wondering if anyone was threatened with being fired that week - JW, contractor who didn't get it together in time, NG after 20 years.

Unless this was a revenge crime, I don't think a bloody home invasion was ever the plan. I think it was supposed to be a daytime burglary, with no one home. Unlike most Thursdays, NG was scheduled to be at the dojo. VF was supposed to leave by 3 pm. PS was supposed to be at school and I assume AS would have been attending field day at St. Alban's, a once-a-year event, so that she and PS wouldn't have been home until later than usual school dismissal time.

Just an observation from the new video, the karate studio didn't like it was ready to open to me. There were no signs on the outside of the building announcing an opening. The inside looked sparse and dark. I have no clue what it was supposed to look like, just saying it didn't like a "Grand Opening" of anything.

I recall someone saying the dojo was for SS' employees at AIW etc. (Can't find info now) .... not the general public.

My investigation, weeks ago, did not bring up anything of a grand opening dojo studio or a new martial arts place in Chantilly, not anything even on the radar anywhere . No newspaper articles or advertisements. Nothing.

Seems strange imho.

BBM. I don't "get it" when you fail to provide links. I seriously doubt NG had a key to the home or the access code to the security system because the family had in their home an expensive art collection. The issue isn't that SS called NG, the issue is why Wint allowed him and AS to make TWO calls to NG and she claims she didn't check messages until the next day. She then failed to contact Vera's husband as SS requested.

DW and AS may have been using SS and AS phones to communicate. The phones are missing according to the search warrants.

JMO

My housekeeper has a key to my house. I trust her completely.

It has been reported that the family had an expensive art collection and they generously opened their home to host charity and political events such as fund raisers. I think their insurance company would require a sophisticated security system be in place.

Manatos recalled a fundraiser for former senator Olympia Snowe (R-Maine) at the Savopoulos home. He said many people would have left their children upstairs with a babysitter, but the couple let them mingle with the guests.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...5e5e24-0545-11e5-bc72-f3e16bf50bb6_story.html

I think it depends on how "valuable" the art. I don't think they had Rembrandts on the wall. I think too much is being made of the art. Art is very difficult to sell and virtually worthless without provenance/authentication. Also, bulky to transport. Non-starter IMO.

What I find most interesting about it is that investigators believe Wint FORCED SS to communicate with NG and NG was asked to send a text message to acknowledge receipt. This text is something NG failed to mention in her media blitz.

JMO

BBM

Do you have a link? TIA
Do we know if NG ever texted him to say she received SS' VM? Even if it was the next morning?
BTW, my opinion, and opinion only, is that NG, not LE, released the VM. Attention to her was flagging - time to dole out a little more candy to MSM.

I think it depends on how "valuable" the art. I don't think they had Rembrandts on the wall. I think too much is being made of the art. Art is very difficult to sell and virtually worthless without provenance/authentication. Also, bulky to transport. Non-starter IMO.

Try getting home owner's insurance on an expensive art collection without a sophisticated security system AND appraisals. There is a black market for art just as there is one for cars.

I can only go by what people have said who have actually been in the home.

Neighbors who have been in the home said the family had an extensive and valuable art collection, which was on display a couple of years ago during the Christmas house tour put on by St. Albans.

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...ur-Dead-Savopoulos-Housekeeper-304439421.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
relaxininaz