DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
As I understand it, it was adjacent to the welding school he set up in Chantilly. I don't know the area at all, but could it be he was trying to bring something to the community they might not otherwise have great access to?
For some reason I was guessing it was a non-profit. (Not that you don't need a biz plan for a non-profit!!)
On the flip side, it seems martial arts friends were coming in to celebrate the space, which could point to it being something for more advanced students. You'd think there would be a little more info on it, if so!
He might have just spotted a great space for lease that was near a location that is relevant to him and went for it

I found this .. hope it helps. https://katepavelle.wordpress.com/2015/05/27/thursday-morning-coffee-blog-stricken-and-bereaved/

On May 15th, 2015, students and teachers of kenjutsu, the art of Japanese sword, converged for a special opening of a new dojo of Savvos Savopoulos’s Sensei’s sword school. When they set out on their joyful pilgrimage, they couldn’t have known that Mr. Savopoulos, his wife Amy, their 10-year-old son Philip, and their housekeeper Veralicia Figueora had been brutally slain after 24 hours of captivity on May 14th, just one day earlier.

It’s not often that a national-level story touches me in such a personal way. I’ve had the honor of meeting Mr. Savopoulos last year in Pittsburgh, when he came to celebrate our dojo’s 40th*anniversary.

After the shock and the sadness for the Savopoulos family and Ms. Figueora, after navigating the grief and loss and rage I’ve felt since I’ve learned of the mass murder, I’ve come to realize that this tragedy affected me, and presumably my fellow students, on several unrelated levels.

The human loss and suffering can never be minimized or overshadowed. Yet in this case, there’s another twist. Mr. Savopoulos’ death cut deeper than just another act of evil and avarice. This man, a teacher, well respected by his students and colleagues, had dedicated decades of his life to the study and preservation of an ancient Japanese martial art.

His death is like smashing a Michelangelo statue.
His knowledge is irreplaceable, for every student and teacher of kenjutsu – after many years of study – comes to find his or her own meaning in the*waza,*or the form, of each technique.

Each and every teacher is a work of art, unique in both skill and insight, irreplacable, yet willing to pass that hard-won knowledge onto younger generations.

Martial arts can’t be gleaned from a book, can’t be learned by watching videos alone. The kinesthetic knowledge, the muscle memory of minute balance shifts and the translation of each little movement into its true incarnation at full speed, needs to be taught by hand, in person. Not just words, not just sight and sound, but touch and the use of the opponent’s body form the fabric of understanding of an art that is ancient, graceful, esoteric. Its extinction is kept at bay by martial artists – only a few in each generation – whose understanding is complete enough to keep it alive, and who selflessly give of themselves in passing it on. They are the custodians of ancient techniques and new explanations. They make history come alive.

The loss of Savvas Savopoulos is a human one: a father, a husband, a son. The loss of his wife, child, and Ms. Figueora, who put her two children through college while working as their housekeeper, will never pale to their loved ones.

The premature, violent, and senseless death of Mr. Savopoulos is also a great loss to the martial arts community. I grieve, and I bow my head in respect to his legacy.

May 27, 2015

I think it depends on how "valuable" the art. I don't think they had Rembrandts on the wall. I think too much is being made of the art. Art is very difficult to sell and virtually worthless without provenance/authentication. Also, bulky to transport. Non-starter IMO.

Yea, I agree. Since I don't believe DW would know the difference between "valuable" art and a paint-by- numbers piece.....I don't think he had the knowledge or connections to move it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IF SS or his wife had a problem with it, it would have been handled and we'd never have seen those pics. :)

Not necessarily JW could have restricted the S family from his Instagram and the photos he posted. And maybe SS did have a talk with him about it. We don't know.

Not necessarily JW could have restricted the S family from his Instagram and the photos he posted. And maybe SS did have a talk with him about it. We don't know.

I don't think he could have made those posts "public" and at the same time exclude individual friends from viewing (if I am clear on the settings!!)

I have been assuming the posts shared in the media were posts in his public view. Do we know otherwise? Would be interesting if a FB friend gave the media those posts that weren't made "public view."

As I understand it, it was adjacent to the welding school he set up in Chantilly. I don't know the area at all, but could it be he was trying to bring something to the community they might not otherwise have great access to?
For some reason I was guessing it was a non-profit. (Not that you don't need a biz plan for a non-profit!!)
On the flip side, it seems martial arts friends were coming in to celebrate the space, which could point to it being something for more advanced students. You'd think there would be a little more info on it, if so!
He might have just spotted a great space for lease that was near a location that is relevant to him and went for it

I found this .. hope it helps. https://katepavelle.wordpress.com/2015/05/27/thursday-morning-coffee-blog-stricken-and-bereaved/

On May 15th, 2015, students and teachers of kenjutsu, the art of Japanese sword, converged for a special opening of a new dojo of Savvos Savopoulos’s Sensei’s sword school. When they set out on their joyful pilgrimage, they couldn’t have known that Mr. Savopoulos, his wife Amy, their 10-year-old son Philip, and their housekeeper Veralicia Figueora had been brutally slain after 24 hours of captivity on May 14th, just one day earlier.

It’s not often that a national-level story touches me in such a personal way. I’ve had the honor of meeting Mr. Savopoulos last year in Pittsburgh, when he came to celebrate our dojo’s 40th*anniversary.

After the shock and the sadness for the Savopoulos family and Ms. Figueora, after navigating the grief and loss and rage I’ve felt since I’ve learned of the mass murder, I’ve come to realize that this tragedy affected me, and presumably my fellow students, on several unrelated levels.

The human loss and suffering can never be minimized or overshadowed. Yet in this case, there’s another twist. Mr. Savopoulos’ death cut deeper than just another act of evil and avarice. This man, a teacher, well respected by his students and colleagues, had dedicated decades of his life to the study and preservation of an ancient Japanese martial art.

His death is like smashing a Michelangelo statue.
His knowledge is irreplaceable, for every student and teacher of kenjutsu – after many years of study – comes to find his or her own meaning in the*waza,*or the form, of each technique.

Each and every teacher is a work of art, unique in both skill and insight, irreplacable, yet willing to pass that hard-won knowledge onto younger generations.

Martial arts can’t be gleaned from a book, can’t be learned by watching videos alone. The kinesthetic knowledge, the muscle memory of minute balance shifts and the translation of each little movement into its true incarnation at full speed, needs to be taught by hand, in person. Not just words, not just sight and sound, but touch and the use of the opponent’s body form the fabric of understanding of an art that is ancient, graceful, esoteric. Its extinction is kept at bay by martial artists – only a few in each generation – whose understanding is complete enough to keep it alive, and who selflessly give of themselves in passing it on. They are the custodians of ancient techniques and new explanations. They make history come alive.

The loss of Savvas Savopoulos is a human one: a father, a husband, a son. The loss of his wife, child, and Ms. Figueora, who put her two children through college while working as their housekeeper, will never pale to their loved ones.

The premature, violent, and senseless death of Mr. Savopoulos is also a great loss to the martial arts community. I grieve, and I bow my head in respect to his legacy.

May 27, 2015

This was the link that I read. I wasn't sure if I could share it here. I am still just a member of a couple of months, so I am not sure of what is shareable.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/jeweler-teacher-now-attorney-dc-mansion-murders/story?id=32088452

Another article with a little more info on DW's newly minted lawyer. It mentions money.

"Hanover has met with Wint in jail three times. "Our client has really opened up and is confident the truth of the matter will show him in a better light," Hanover said."

roflmao @ anybody seeing him in a "better light"

Finally, this story has guns. Did you see the biceps on that reporter?

This was the link that I read. I wasn't sure if I could share it here. I am still just a member of a couple of months, so I am not sure of what is shareable.

Here's a link, replete with factual errors like all of the early reports, that says the studio was supposed to house resident-scholar types. I wonder where the reporter got that idea, and, if it was to be, indeed, a luxury, high-level, concept studio.

http://www.aspentimes.com/news/1655...egedly-murders-vail-colorado-connected-family

Okay. So based on that theory, NG would be requesting that DW force SS to call her so that there would a voicemail from SS confirming that she was not there at the house at that time on Weds night and was requested to not be there the following day? Or confirming that SS didn't suspect her? Both?

Maybe... He obviously wouldn't call her if she was involved, so calling her would make LE think she wasn't involved. It's not a very good theory, but from what I've seen on MSM, I don't understand why AS and SS would think NG had the best chance at understanding they were under duress. Like someone else said, AS/SS could have called their "personal trainer" or a friend AS was expecting for coffee the next morning.

I keep thinking about Ted Bundy, oddly enough, when these murders come to mind.

I believe likely it was only JW's public displays of pride, envy and avarice (and not criminal participation) that set this in motion. They don't call 'em "deadly sins" for nothing.

But, it's not out of the realm of possibility that the intersection between JW and DW is bigger than people in common on social media.

So now we are comparing JW to one of the world's most gruesome serial killers? By the time Bundy was JW's age he had killed several innocent victims already. Is JW now suspected of killing random women secretly, with the dream of racing as a cover?

I really think that comparing him to Bundy is a big stretch. JMO

Maybe... He obviously wouldn't call her if she was involved, so calling her would make LE think she wasn't involved. It's not a very good theory, but from what I've seen on MSM, I don't understand why AS and SS would think NG had the best chance at understanding they were under duress. Like someone else said, AS/SS could have called their "personal trainer" or a friend AS was expecting for coffee the next morning.

I think we are all over thinking the call to NG and making it way more complicated or nefarious than it was. I think a panicky DW put a knife to Amy's throat and said to SS---" You had better make sure that no one comes to this house tonight or tomorrow or I'll slit her throat."
And I think it occurred to SS that the only other person that might be able to enter the home, even if no one answered the bell, could be NG. As a 20 yr employee she probably had a key and or a code to enter the home. That would be a disaster so SS could have said to DW " Let me call and make sure my housekeeper knows not to show up tomorrow."

That type of scenario makes the most sense to me. Not some fake alibi because this life long employee is secretly having the family slaughtered for some unknown reason.

Try getting home owner's insurance on an expensive art collection without a sophisticated security system AND appraisals. There is a black market for art just as there is one for cars.

I can only go by what people have said who have actually been in the home.

Neighbors who have been in the home said the family had an extensive and valuable art collection, which was on display a couple of years ago during the Christmas house tour put on by St. Albans.

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...ur-Dead-Savopoulos-Housekeeper-304439421.html

The black market for art is a relatively small world - not like car parts. I find it difficult to believe that DW would have entré to that world. Only works that can be independently authenticated without an attached provenance would have any value. And even then, the authenticator's/expert's opinion would have to carry weight in the market. You can buy known artists' work at auction for pennies on the dollar of it's estimated value. I have and do. Others have said the art was not that valuable. (I'm too tired to look for the link now.) I think it is relative. Probably has value to collectors, but not Smithsonian-quality art. Grand masters might require a particular security system to make the insurance cost manageable. Piranesi etchings, Turner watercolors, Audobon prints - not so much. It sounds like a moot point anyway, as the S family had a sophisticated alarm system.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/jeweler-teacher-now-attorney-dc-mansion-murders/story?id=32088452

Another article with a little more info on DW's newly minted lawyer. It mentions money.

"Hanover has met with Wint in jail three times. "Our client has really opened up and is confident the truth of the matter will show him in a better light," Hanover said."

roflmao @ anybody seeing him in a "better light"

What could he possibly say that would show him in a 'better light?' Oh I know, SS was in the middle of a murder suicide scenario and DW tried to stop it and save everyone but then he got hungry and while he ate pizza he failed.

That would not prevent the S family from possibly seeing them. Would he really post them on public view and try to block the SS familY? Because I saw them on his public FB before it went down. If I could see them then SS would know about them too.

So now we are comparing JW to one of the world's most gruesome serial killers? By the time Bundy was JW's age he had killed several innocent victims already. Is JW now suspected of killing random women secretly, with the dream of racing as a cover?

I really think that comparing him to Bundy is a big stretch. JMO

It isn't fair to call what I wrote "a comparison" of the two. Calling my words a comparison is the stretch here. I didn't posit any of the above. Sheesh.

According to the NBC news report that Bootsctr transcribed, Amy asked NG to work either Monday/Tuesday or Tuesday/Wednesday and the dojo opening was Thursday.

Here is her transcription again:

I transcribed the video for anyone who might not be able to watch it via the link. If I made any mistakes, please tell me.

Reporter Meagan Fitzgerald: "Much of the focus over the last several weeks has been here at the Savopoulos' mansion on Woodland Drive, but a source close to the family says in the days leading up to their death the family's focus was in Chantilly, Virginia on a karate studio which Savvas Savopoulos was getting ready to open.

Time was running out during the week of May 11th. We know now that in more than one way Savvas Savopoulos was rushing to get this karate studio ready for the grand opening on May 14th. The urgency apparent in his wife, Amy's voice message to their longtime housekeeper, Nellie Gutierrez, which we are now hearing for the very first time:

Voicemail from Amy to Nellie: "Hey Nelly. It's Amy. I am calling to see if I could get your, you and your crew I think is the best bet, maybe two days, Monday/Tuesday or Tuesday/Wednesday, if you could. Savvas built a martial arts studio in Chantilly, Virginia and of course Bill is doing the construction, so we are like down to the wire."

Reporter MF: So Nelly agreed to help clean the new karate studio because it appeared to be important to Amy. She also suggested that their other housekeeper work at the studio with Nellie.

Amy's voicemail again: "And if you need to take Vera you can take Vera too, so just let me know... So next week is sort of a crazy week anyway."

Reporter: The crazy turn of events started on Wednesday when Vera didn't want to stay late to clean the studio, so she decided to work at the Savopoulos' house instead. It was a decision that would end up costing her, her life.

A source close to the family says Savvas was at the studio when he received a call wife from his wife luring him back home. Investigators believe Amy, their son, Philip, and housekeeper, Vera Figueroa, were already held hostage inside. Savvas arrives home and hours later at 9:35 Wednesday night investigators believe the suspect, Daron Wint, forced him to make a call:

Savvas' voicemail to Nellie: "Hey Nelly! It's Savvas. Amy is in bed sick tonight and she was sick this afternoon and Vera offered to stay and help her out because you know we're going through some stuff with Philip so she is going stay the night here. Okay. Thank you (pause). Oh, and would you send me a text when you get the message just so I can make sure. Thanks Nelly. Goodnight."

Reporter: Goodnight. Those words the last Nelly would ever hear again from Savvas, a man she had known for more than two decades, and on Thursday, just before 10:00, a final text message sent from Amy's phone saying:

text: I am making sure you do not come today. (If you would come from or Monday that would be great.)

Reporter: The same day the karate studio is set to open, hours before the mansion goes up in flames and the horrifying discovery of four victims murdered inside. The timing of it all still puzzling for those close to the family adding to the mystery of why their lives were taken. ~~ Meagan Fitzgerald

New Recording Released in Mansion Murders

A grand jury has been convened in the mansion murders case after the deaths of Amy, Philip and Savvas Savopoulos and their housekeeper Veralicia Figueroa. More charges could be coming. We're also hearing a new audio recording from the family for the first time. Meagan Fitzgerald has the story, only on News4.

By Meagan Fitzgerald

Jun 26, 2015

http://www.nbcwashington.com/video/#...ders/310181741

Last edited by Bootsctr; Today at 02:35 PM. Reason: not able to watch

I believe the reporter made a mistake on the day. SM about the dojo opening said it was to open that Friday.

The Somon = new hombu dōjō of the Tenshin-ryū and Yamate-ryū, located in Chantilly, VA

Cached from Itten Dojo's schedule:
Planning News and Notes:
• May 15 — Dedication of the new Tenshin-ryu / Yamate-ryu Honbu Dojo, in Washington, D.C.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...2/here---itten-dojo+&cd=8&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us
From Delaware Budokan's facebook page:
This weekend was to be the grand opening and celebration of the new Somon Dojo in Chantilly VA.Members of the Tenshin Ryu and Yamate Ryu were coming in from all over the country for this event.
https://www.facebook.com/delawarebudokan

What's interesting, and I think there is validity to your account, is that that would require the perps to have general knowledge of the family's and family employees' regular comings and goings (even though it would appear that they didn't know about the specifics of real-time logistical changes--PS staying home, the chg in the housekeepers' schedules, etc. But, heck, I sometimes don't know everything that's going on in my family in real-time!) just an observation. IMO, etc.
Do you think there was some level of revenge in this crime. Or merely an ill-planned robbery of a targeted family gone awry? (I was guessing that it was combo.)

I don't know. I have 3 theories going at all times and they are all distinct from one another. None of them involves DW coming up with the plan on his own. :)

Me too. I think it the level of formality fits for SS and household helpers.

I cannot figure out how the dojo would work, payment wise, for NG and her staff. Since that's a commercial enterprise tax wise (my best guess), that pay would be on a different set of books from the household with a different paperwork burden. I'm sure it doesn't matter, but it is curious to me.

I cannot recall what the income cutoff is for domestics to be required to be paid social security contributions. I wonder if pay at the SS home was cash, but pay at the dojo was 1099ed. The helpers could have been w-2's, I guess too.

SS seemed to be a by the books guy with money, so the commingling is interesting to me.

The threshold is really low $1900 in 2014 for social security and Medicare. $1000 for federal unemployment tax. They would definitely need to pay social security on NG if she was an employee. It's a bit confusing, because since she owned her own company, she should be an independent contractor, not an employee, and responsible for her own withholding, etc. Obviously, I don't know the details.

As per nickname - now I understand what you mean. I was thinking the nickname was more like Trip (for a III) or Jack instead of John - meaning, familiarity/personal closeness not necessary, just the name everyone calls him. I could be mistaken. I have a Jackson that we call Jack (Jack-Jack when he was little.) It would have been weird for anyone outside the family to call him Jack-Jack. But it would be even weirder for anyone to call him Jackson instead of Jack (unless he's in trouble, then it's Jackson-MiddleName-LastName!)

It isn't fair to call what I wrote "a comparison" of the two. Calling my words a comparison is the stretch here. I didn't posit any of the above. Sheesh.

Ok, sorry. I thought the post said that this case reminds you of Ted Bundy, and then you described JW's avarice and greed, in what I thought was a comparison of the two. Sorry if I misunderstood.

Trust her completely? We give them house keys, but not safe keys with combos. Other than the safe, total access though. It's such a unique relationship.

It might be different for people who use agencies with crews. I think there are two prevailing philosophies. Some people prefer bonded agencies, with crews and supervisors, etc..

I'm in the other camp. My grandfather kept the same housekeeper, even after my grandmother's death, until he and she were in their 90's. She couldn't clean upstairs any longer. But the upstairs were in disuse, so it was okay with him. She couldn't see very well to clean the microwave, so she cut little holes in paper plates for his to use as covers when he cooked.

I kept our beloved DC housekeeper on the books two years after we moved to Lilliputia.

My impression is that NG was hired as an individual worker, and she is unusually ambitious and industrious, so parlayed her situation into a something a little bigger. That woman had herself put together with hair makeup and nails for her TV interviews, right after the murders. She behaves like an executive, even if there's a wild cultural disconnect for many of us. At first, talking to my husband about this, I referred to her as "Fingernails." She has moxie, I've conceded since the beginning.

I cannot see her involved in crime with DW. I believe that if she hired muscle or people to burgle, they would be Latino.

I don't have a safe in the house - I've always heard that is an added risk - it provides an opportunity for a robber to hold a gun to your head for the code. Anything portable of substantial value is housed off site. Everything else is insured. Plus, your housekeeper probably doesn't need to clean the inside of your safe! :) My housekeeper comes 5 days a week. I don't want to have to be at the house whenever she's cleaning. I DO trust her completely. But she always returns my calls or texts within minutes - even though I can understand why she might sometimes be out of pocket. I don't make it a habit to call her outside business hours - only if there is a change in schedule or to tell her not to come to work if her kids have a snow day...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member